Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Party - great opener

forum rss feed
Author

The_CrY user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 68 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Apr 10, 07:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There are some songs that surprise you everytime again by showing how awesome they are. Party is such a song for me. Actually it's downright odd, slightly experimental, but so very cool and serves well as an album opener.
What is your opinion about Party?

Amazon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 996 posts

Posted: 10 Apr 10, 13:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm not a big fan of Party. Freddie is really good, I love the instrumentation, but it's not particularly memorable. I don't think it's among Queen's best album openers, and they were a group who had the incredible ability to pick the perfect songs to open albums. Basically, I think it's an okay song from one of their weakest albums.

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4675 posts

Posted: 10 Apr 10, 14:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Party and Khashoggi's Ship sound like unfinished demos. Party is Queen's worst album-opener. Truly awful.

I should like The Miracle more than I do. It's got a lot of 'Brian May' on it, but the drum sound is terrible, and brings the album down with it.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2742 posts

Posted: 10 Apr 10, 17:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Holly2003 wrote:

Party and Khashoggi's Ship sound like unfinished demos. Party is Queen's worst album-opener. Truly awful.

I should like The Miracle more than I do. It's got a lot of 'Brian May' on it, but the drum sound is terrible, and brings the album down with it.

sadly roger became a average drummer in the 80's....brought down the band at times with his weak drumming IMO.  The miracle is an example of this.  I agree party is queens weakest album opener.  Khashoggi's ship is a little better. 

skip user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 622 posts

Posted: 10 Apr 10, 21:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Never liked Party and Khashoggi's Ship.  Crappy songs.  Filler shouldn't open an lp.

Brian May: "I like KISS a lot. I have a great regard for KISS 'cause it's all-out. They just had their vision, they had their dream, and they damn well went for it."

Gregsynth user is on Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3169 posts

Posted: 10 Apr 10, 23:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

skip wrote:

Never liked Party and Khashoggi's Ship.  Crappy songs.  Filler shouldn't open an lp.

Agree somewhat: It is filler, but it's not too bad (though for Queen you could say "bad").
I think The Miracle should've opened up with "I Want It All."

I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12697 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 10, 01:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Party is fucking awful.  I put that on once and my friend left early.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
thunderbolt 31742 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thunderbolt 31742
Bohemian: 647 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 10, 02:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm in the minority here. I always thought Party would make a great live teaser/opener. The song starts rolling from tape, and as it goes on, the band members start playing their instruments. First Roger, then John, then Brian. As the drawn-out "ooooo" at the end of the track draws to a close, boom goes the dynamite and there's Freddie rocking Khashoggi's Ship for an opening number.

But, yeah, like I said, I'm in the minority on this.

"Do you think I should keep this mustache? Did you say no? F--- off."

Posted: 11 Apr 10, 02:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Gregsynth wrote:

skip wrote:

Agree somewhat: It is filler, but it's not too bad (though for Queen you could say "bad").
I think The Miracle should've opened up with "I Want It All."

Agree.  IWIA was played on local radio.  I liked the song and purchased the lp when it was released. 
I was really disappointed with the lp, only liking IWIA and the heavy riffing in "Was It All Worth It"
(I like what the song was supposed to be about, but some of the lyrics are cringe-worthy.)

Never liked "Rain Must Fall", "Scandal", and "My Baby Does Me".

At the time of the lp's release I thought that "The Miracle" , "The Invisible Man", and "Breakthru"  
were just o.k.  I like those tracks more now.

Brian May: "I like KISS a lot. I have a great regard for KISS 'cause it's all-out. They just had their vision, they had their dream, and they damn well went for it."

louis.007 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 28 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 10, 04:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I never really liked it although I must confess when they played it at the recent convention I had forgotten what a good 'standalone' track it really is - just not the ideal opener that's all.

Oberon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 499 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 10, 06:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think Party and Khashoggi's Ship should have been b-sides and My Life Has Been Saved and Hijack My Heart  or Hang On In There should have been on the album. I liked Stealin' more than Party and KS.

Maybe open with The Miracle, then IWIA then slot MLHBS and HMH (or maybe HOIT) in somewhere.

I also think My Baby Does Me and Rain Must Fall weren't the best tracks either. Too pop/disco style again. They sound like it was just Fred/John and a drum machine, with a bit of Brian tagged on to make him feel better (if there is any guitar - can't remember off the top of my head)

Tatterdemalion and the junketer

There's a thief and a dragonfly trumpeter
queen79luca user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 179 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 10, 08:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To be honest The Miracle is not my favourite album and some songs on it I don t think are on Queen standards.

Party-Rain must fall-My baby does me- I am not a fan of these songs.

The invisible man...mmmmmmmmmmmmhhhh...

Immagine the album MIRACLE with My life has been saved and Hijack my heart...It ll be a better one!

koldweather123 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 98 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 10, 19:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The problem is Party is sadly just not a good song...now KS IMO is better because it has a certain something that I feel is missing in Party...

Not the best openers, but as a couple they probably aren't as bad as people think, though KS is deffo by far the stronger of the two IMO!

Posted: 12 Apr 10, 11:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A pity most of you feel that way. I happen to like The Miracle a lot and certainly think Party is a genious opener. The Kashoggi's Ship part is a bit less good, but still far from awful. 
As for the rest of The Miracle.
I love
I Want it All
Breakthru
Scandal
Was it All Worth It (one of the greatest Queen songs imo)
And the rest is great too (imo), and the album is a good ending to Queen's somewhat sad 80s period (Game-Space-Works. Magic is cool).

Posted: 12 Apr 10, 22:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The_CrY wrote: A pity most of you feel that way. I happen to like The Miracle a lot and certainly think Party is a genious opener. The Kashoggi's Ship part is a bit less good, but still far from awful. 
I love
I Want it All
Breakthru
Scandal
And the rest is great too (imo), and the album is a good ending to Queen's somewhat sad 80s period (Game-Space-Works. Magic is cool).

I'll take "The Game" and "The Works" over "The Miracle" any day.

Posted: 13 Apr 10, 02:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

skip wrote: The_CrY wrote: A pity most of you feel that way. I happen to like The Miracle a lot and certainly think Party is a genious opener. The Kashoggi's Ship part is a bit less good, but still far from awful. 
I love
I Want it All
Breakthru
Scandal

I'll take "The Game" and "The Works" over "The Miracle" any day. the game and the works were much stronger albums than the miracle.  I have the miracle as queens worst album.  Only the cosmo rocks is worse IMO.

Posted: 13 Apr 10, 10:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ah... well... in that case: I disagree.

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12697 posts

Posted: 14 Apr 10, 06:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

(shrug)  I don't see the point in comparing The Game, The Miracle, or The Works to each other, as none of them is Queen's best album.  Not by a long stretch - although I think if you took the best material from each, you'd have a stellar collection of songs.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller

Posted: 14 Apr 10, 07:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote: (shrug)  I don't see the point in comparing The Game, The Miracle, or The Works to each other, as none of them is Queen's best album.  Not by a long stretch - although I think if you took the best material from each, you'd have a stellar collection of songs.

Now that's words of a true fan....Not!

maxpower user not visiting Queenzone.com
maxpower
Bohemian: 477 posts

Posted: 15 Apr 10, 05:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In all honesty it hasn't aged well, I haven't listened to the album for a long time. I do think I want it all would have been a great opener with the vocal intro then into the album version. It would interesting to hear the album remastered