Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Jazz

forum rss feed
Author

qrock user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 313 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Apr 10, 08:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have done Topics on ADATR, NOTW and now I'd like to see Fans opinions about the album. I would give the album a rating of 8/10 and is probably the poorest of Queen's 70s albums.

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 10, 10:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree it's the most inconsistent of the 70's albums,  but the album is still awsome for me.  only the 2 roger songs and maybe if you can't beat them brings it down a bit.   The production also brings it down....Still, most of the songs are great. mustapha rocks!.....

The_CrY user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 68 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 10, 11:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think Jazz is a great album and certainly not the worst of the 70s albums. It's really diverse and I like that. The two Roger songs are two of my favorites, which probably explains why I like this album so much. And of course there are these great songs like Don't Stop Me Now, Dead On Time, Fat Bottomed Girls, Mustapha; enough to make Jazz yet another classic.

master marathon runner user not visiting Queenzone.com
master marathon runner
Royalty: 1237 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 10, 11:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jazz is an absolute delight, even now , 32 years on, never mind 'that un's poor, this un's weak', it's a bloody good, refreshing work.

Master Marathon Runner.

Master Marathon Runner
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 10, 11:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

knocks the living daylights out of any 80s albums
don't stop me now - awesome feelgood track
mustapha - great rocker
bicycle race - exactly what you'd expect queen to sound like

for me the weak moments are in only seven days and and the miserable leaving home ain't easy

go deo na hÉireann
beachj user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 14 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 10, 14:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I found if fresh,exciting and very different to their previous offerings. Anyway,that was in 1978 !  Today I think it sounds weird and unique,it was recorded in Switzerland with Roy Baker back at the helm. The critics hated it,which probably means that it is a good album.....I like the lesser known tracks like Jealousy,and John's fab If You Can't Beat Them, and Mustapha,who else could write it.......!

skip user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 622 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 10, 19:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Mustapha"  - Kind of eclectic crap.
"Fat Bottomed Girls"  - Rate it a B.  Like it, but it's not one of my favorite Queen songs.
"Jealousy" - Crap.
"Bicycle Race"  - Rate it a B-.  It's o.k.
"If You Can't Beat Them"  - Crap.
"Let Me Entertain You"  - Great song.
"Dead on Time"  - Don't really care for this one.
"In Only Seven Days" - Crap.  Deacon's songs are really hit or miss with me.
"Dreamer's Ball"  - It's o.k.
"Fun It" - Absolute crap.  Can't believe Roger brought this sound to Queen.
"Leaving Home Ain't Easy"  - Crap.
"Don't Stop Me Now"  - Great song.  One of my favorite Queen songs.
"More of That Jazz"  - Crap.

Brian May: "I like KISS a lot. I have a great regard for KISS 'cause it's all-out. They just had their vision, they had their dream, and they damn well went for it."

Amazon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 996 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 10, 21:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love Jazz, but it's a very messy album. While it has arguably among Queen's best work (Fat Bottomed Girls, Bicycle Race, Don't Stop Me Now, In Only Seven Days), it also has among their worst (the two Roger songs, If You Can't Beat Them), which is not such a bad things since alot of Queen albums are inconsistent, but the tracklisting is really badly done. Thus, the inconsistncy is highlighted by the tracklisting.

Regarding the tracklisting, I would have Let Me Entertain You open the album, Don't Stop Me Now close, and I would delete the two Roger songs. I would also make a few other changes such as having Bicycle Race come straight after Fat Bottomed Girls.

This is what I think of the songs:
1)Mustapha: An interesting song, but all in all, not all that substantial. I would keep it, however it shouldn't be the opener.

2)Fat Bottomed Girls: A masterpiece. One of Queen's best rock songs.

3)Jealousy: A superb and extremely underrated ballad from Freddie.

4)Bicycle Race:  One of Queen's very best songs and a brilliant example of Freddie's song-writing genius.

5)If You Can't Beat Them: I love John, but this song was terrible. It should have been rejected.

6)Let Me Entertain You: A terrific song which shold have opened the album.

7)Dead on Time: Good, but not great.

8)In Only Seven Days: A masterpiece. Arguably Queen's single greatest love song.

9)Dreamer's Ball: Very good, I think this is a really nice quiet song.

10)Fun It: Should never have been accepted for the album. It's arguably one of Queen's worst ever songs.

11)Leaving Home Ain't Easy: A really nice song with terrific vocals from Brian.

12)Don't Stop Me Now: A masterpiece. Queenian perfection. It should have closed the album.

13)More of That Jazz: A waste of time.

Queen1973 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen1973
Bohemian: 590 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 10, 01:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Why are we havin a topic about jazz being a poor album Come on guys if we were to get another queen album with freddies voice would we say its poor. Every queen album is mint because freddie is on it. Bad topic. Make one thats interesting.

ride the vision

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 10, 01:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So you're NOT interested that I'm giving it a 7.4?

Other than it being a bridge between the two different Queens, it's kind of a ho-hum for the most part.  Amazing to me is that a song like Bicycle Race became a hit.  There really wasn't much too it, thought wise.  You could have sang "I want to make a Ham Sandwich.  Ham Sandwich.  Ham Sandwich..." but somehow it was catchy enough to get us hooked.  Dead On Time is my personal favorite off the album.  A few of the songs sound like throwaways from earlier sessions.

prescott2811 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 54 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 10, 06:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jazz for me well its one of those Queen albums you have to listen to more than once to get use to. I hated it when i first listened to it. But now its one of my favouriate Queen albums. Its Queen exactly what they are, taking the piss, with umour, not being serious, but being serious in their own way.
It has funk, heavey rock, pop, a lil bit of r'n'b in there i would say. Everything you want from Queen.
Heres my list of the songs an what i thought

1. Mustapha - What a wierd way to open an album but never the less. Its a great song, love the rocking in it when the guiter kicks in. Didn't like it at first but i do now    8/10

2. Fat bottom girls - Well what can I say? A typical Queen rocker, Its the taking the piss about the fact that woman are great with big bums. Its a great song 1 of the most underrated Queen songs or even 1 of the most underrated rocks songs of all time.    10/10

3, Jealousy - Now this is a great love balled, not 1 of my most favouriate songs by Queen but yet again it somehow fits the album, Just like You take my breath away in A Day At The Races and Love of my life in A Night  At The Opera    7/10

4. Bicycle Race - I like this song but still not 1 of my favouriates, I think this where Queen tried a lil r'n'b rap stuff. The fast lyrics make it sound in that sort of direction. its a good song, funny, humour, and a good pop song all round    9/10

5. If You cam't beat them - A good rocker by John here, although he didn't write that many he new how to write a good song. it fits the album n i like it.    8/10

6. Dead on time - Well to me this 1 of the highlights of the album, What a guiter riff n fast drumming. This where Brian n Roger show of their rocking skills. A freddies capeable ability to sing heavey rock. Just like fat bottom girls its great song and 1 of my favourates on the album. An yet again I think 1 of the most underrated rock songs to ever to be written.    9/10

7. In only seven days - Another deakie song here. To me this is a perfect song to come after dead on the time on the album. it settles you down a little bit. Just like Spread your wings on News Of The World. Its a good song.    8/10

8. Dreamers Ball - The first time I ever heard this was on the Live Killers album. I thought wow what a song. Love the love lyrics. Love how brian may plays the guiter in this song. n YEt again another 1 of my favouriates.    9/10

9. Fun it - To me this is a built up to Rock it (Prime Jive) on the The Game album. A great duet with Roger an Freddie. Which I love through - out Queens career is the Duets betweeen Freddie and Roger. This song is hated by fans cos it sounds poor. But just accept it. Its a perfect song for the Jazz album.    7/10

10. Leaving home aint easy - Frist tiem i saw this title i thought it was like Sleeping on the side walk on the News Of The World album. Great singing by Brian. I like it      8/10

11. Don't stop me now - A great song by all means. I like it, very fast moving n very populer in todays world, still played in clubs and bars where ever you go. To me though I think its over rated. I Hardly ever play it maybe due to the fact you hear it so often.     9/10

12. More of the Jazz - Great singing by Roger,  I love it. A great way to close n wierd but fantastic album Its regarded for being of the poorest on the album like Fun It. But like I say its a perfect way to fit into the album          9/10

Paul Prescott
ANAGRAMER user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 675 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 10, 07:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jazz was the first Queen album I bought fresh (having been converted by NOTW)

To a teenage boy, it was a HUGE disappointment - released on the crest of NWOHM (new wave of heavy metal) with bands like ACDC, Rush and Judas Priest gaining a real foothold in the UK

Queen fans knew they could rock-out with the best of them but, this album (at the time) didn't really deliver

Having seen the GHV1 DVD, I think the answer lies there - the mastering/production. The songs themselves are probably no better or worse than a standard Queen album, but what lets the side down is the watery production - there's no oomph or grit in Brian's guitar and the drum sound is particularly papery

Lyrically and vocally, it is, in the main, one of Queen's finest albums - Freddie's voice in particular never sounded better

Perhaps it was down to scheduling - at the time Queen were (for tex reasons) out of the UK for most of the year, and had an extensive US tour booked - perhaps with a little more time on the production, and maybe the exclusion of More of that Jazz the album could have been a peach

Sorry to go on, but in light of the passing years, and subsequent albums - Jazz does stand alone as an anomoly in the Queen catalogue - perhaps not a bad thing.....

rob s user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 9 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 10, 09:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

At the time that Jazz came out I was disappointed with it.  I felt it was the first album they had done that didn't offer anything really groundbreaking or fresh.  Over time, my view of the album has softened and I now certainly appreciates its merits and the new things like Mustapha (middle eastern rhythms) that they attempted.  Compared to a thoroughly derivative set like "The Works" where every song can be compared to an earlier Queen song, Jazz ranks as one of their better efforts.

wilk user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 37 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 10, 14:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It is a very inconsistent album and it sounds to me like most of it was recorded in twos and threes without the whole band being there in one go.

Amazon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 996 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 10, 15:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Micrówave wrote:

"Other than it being a bridge between the two different Queens, it's kind of a ho-hum for the most part.  Amazing to me is that a song like Bicycle Race became a hit.  There really wasn't much too it, thought wise.  You could have sang "I want to make a Ham Sandwich.  Ham Sandwich.  Ham Sandwich..." but somehow it was catchy enough to get us hooked.  Dead On Time is my personal favorite off the album.  A few of the songs sound like throwaways from earlier sessions."

I consider Bycicle Race to be a work of genius and one of Queen's very best songs. Freddie is extraordinary, the instrumentation is wonderful (I love the ringing bicycle bells), it is musically complex,  and it's lyrics are crazy, wild, inventive and creative which I think work.

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 10, 16:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amazon wrote: Micrówave wrote:

"Other than it being a bridge between the two different Queens, it's kind of a ho-hum for the most part.  Amazing to me is that a song like Bicycle Race became a hit.  There really wasn't much too it, thought wise.  You could have sang "I want to make a Ham Sandwich.  Ham Sandwich.  Ham Sandwich..." but somehow it was catchy enough to get us hooked.  Dead On Time is my personal favorite off the album.  A few of the songs sound like throwaways from earlier sessions."

I consider Bycicle Race to be a work of genius and one of Queen's very best songs. Freddie is extraordinary, the instrumentation is wonderful (I love the ringing bicycle bells), it is musically complex,  and it's lyrics are crazy, wild, inventive and creative which I think work.

mustapha-  9.5 out of 10
fat bottomed girls- 10 out of 10
jealousy-  9 out of 10
Bicycle race- 10 out of 10
If you can't beat them-  5 out of 10
let me entertain you- 9 out of 10
dead on time- 8 out of 10
in only seven days-  7 out of 10
Dreamer's ball-  9 out of 10
fun it-  3 out of 10  (Horrible song)
leaving home-  7 out of 10
don't stop me now- 10 out of 10
more of that jazz-  5 out of 10

Sebastian user is on Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 10, 17:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love the album. Very underrated.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3184 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 10, 17:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like the Jazz album. It's not my favorite 70s album, but it's still great.

I also disagree about some of the ratings for If You Can't Beat Them. I think it's a great song!

I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
dougie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 67 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 10, 19:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I would have titled the album Razzmatazz.

dougie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 67 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 10, 19:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amazon wrote:

Regarding the tracklisting, I would have Let Me Entertain You open the album, Don't Stop Me Now close, and I would delete the two Roger songs. I would also make a few other changes such as having Bicycle Race come straight after Fat Bottomed Girls. 

Yes!  More specifically, I would have opened the album (retitled Razzmatazz) with an extended version of the "Let Me Entertain You" outro.