Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Brian's Save Me Campaign

forum rss feed
Author

cacatua user not visiting Queenzone.com
cacatua
Bohemian: 514 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Apr 10, 08:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Those of you from the UK, who might be persuaded to support Brian's Save Me campaign, please visit the web site:
www.save-me.org.uk
Please consider signing up if you haven't already. He needs your help.

Edit: There I fixed the link, lest anyone else be led astray from the top of the page.


Everyone thinks his own fleas are gazelles.
cacatua user not visiting Queenzone.com
cacatua
Bohemian: 514 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Apr 10, 13:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm bumping this back up. It is not as though I expected replies, but I do hope that some of you from the UK might think it over and decide to join Brian's cause if you haven't already. I know this is a Queen forum and not a Brian forum, but he is the visible face of Queen these days, as Roger doesn't have a website, Deacon is in seclusion and poor Freddie gone. So I would hope that there might be at least a few who will feel some loyalty on the basis of all of the enjoyment they have had from Queen over the years if not for the animals themselves, for it is now time to circle the wagons for his Save Me campaign as time is relatively short.


Everyone thinks his own fleas are gazelles.
dragon-fly user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 600 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Apr 10, 15:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It sucks. I'd join- but I'm not British. What an irony!

Amazon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 996 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Apr 10, 15:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

dragon-fly wrote: "It sucks. I'd join- but I'm not British. What an irony!"

I'm with you here. It's really disgusting, and I also would join if I was British.

cacatua user not visiting Queenzone.com
cacatua
Bohemian: 514 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Apr 10, 17:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It seems that we all have the same problem!  :o(


Everyone thinks his own fleas are gazelles.
Makka user is on Queenzone.com
Makka
Bohemian: 242 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Apr 10, 01:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

cacatua user not visiting Queenzone.com
cacatua
Bohemian: 514 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Apr 10, 09:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Makka wrote: http://www.badgerbadgerbadger.com
Hmmmmmmm................


Everyone thinks his own fleas are gazelles.
GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Apr 10, 11:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

cacatua wrote:

I'm bumping this back up. It is not as though I expected replies, but I do hope that some of you from the UK might think it over and decide to join Brian's cause if you haven't already. I know this is a Queen forum and not a Brian forum, but he is the visible face of Queen these days, as Roger doesn't have a website, Deacon is in seclusion and poor Freddie gone. So I would hope that there might be at least a few who will feel some loyalty on the basis of all of the enjoyment they have had from Queen over the years if not for the animals themselves, for it is now time to circle the wagons for his Save Me campaign as time is relatively short.


This was a wonderful sentiment and I smiled at your bump yesterday. :)  Way to be persistent for Brian and the cause.

To those that are concerned about not being from the UK I don't think that's an issue.  Brian explicitly noted that he was delighted with the international support. I'm sure you'd be welcome, and many people on the Facebook page noted they were from somewhere else.  Though it did occur to me that there are potential ethical problems with participating from outside the UK since the group does seek to influence votes and political positions.

I signed up very early as a fan for just the reasons you outlined and I was happy to do it.  That lasted less than 2 days before I dropped the page.  I tried, for Brian, but I just can't handle the expressed mindset even though my personal views on hunting as far as choices I would make in my own life are just like theirs.  They are a strange, very offputting mix of genuine passion, arrogance and credulity.  Brian's letter to that councillor on his website was the last straw.  None of it is anything I want to be associated with and I can't imagine I'm particularly special.  A potential squandering of probably the only unambiguously good thing about fame.

pittrek user is on Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Apr 10, 11:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Why are you promoting some shitty search engine ? If it's some kind of joke, it's not funny.

GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Apr 10, 11:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It seems like the original url posted accidentally dropped the .uk.  It should be:

http://www.save-me.org.uk/

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4706 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Apr 10, 12:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Has Brian gone bonkers?
I do believe he has just threatened an elected offical with violence...
http://www.brianmay.com/brian/letters/letters.html


"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
cacatua user not visiting Queenzone.com
cacatua
Bohemian: 514 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Apr 10, 13:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Holly2003 wrote: Has Brian gone bonkers?
I do believe he has just threatened an elected offical with violence...
http://www.brianmay.com/brian/letters/letters.html
Wow! That has just gone up since I checked in there mid morning! It was sort of strange as there was a mention of something having been removed.

The letter just below this Parsons blow-out was supportive, and when he answered he said he was making enemies and being vilified by some.

I think Brian must have heard those remarks, being referred to as "the hairy man" or "a millionaire rock star" about one time too many, and lost it! The letter from Councillor Parsons was pretty nasty and provocative itself. It sounds like Brian is getting really stressed out.


Everyone thinks his own fleas are gazelles.
cacatua user not visiting Queenzone.com
cacatua
Bohemian: 514 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Apr 10, 13:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote: Why are you promoting some shitty search engine ? If it's some kind of joke, it's not funny.
Sorry about that one! I'm surprised it wasn't pointed out sooner.


Everyone thinks his own fleas are gazelles.
Amazon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 996 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Apr 10, 13:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Holly2003 wrote: " Has Brian gone bonkers?
I do believe he has just threatened an elected offical with violence..."

It's not a particularly nice letter- it's bullying for one thing (the use of little man isn't very nice)- however I don't believe that he was threatening the official, at least not with violence. He was simply suggesting that he hopes that the people fire him, so to speak. As I said, I don't really like the letter, however I don't like the reference to Brian's being a 'cosseted London rock star.' It annoys me as it's basically saying that since May is a wealthy rock star, he has no right to an opinion. I think that's nonsence. Agree with him or not, I think that May has as much right to an opinion as anybody else, and on this issue, he does seem to have done his research.

GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Apr 10, 13:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm thinking you maybe didn't read all the way to the bottom past the picture...

cacatua user not visiting Queenzone.com
cacatua
Bohemian: 514 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Apr 10, 13:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've been emailing Brian a lot about this campaign. I don't know if he ever reads any of it. He only replied once to thank me for the feedback.

The statement he made about having Parson's "guts for garters" - I laughed, but it was over-the-top. Brian can't let them suck him into the negative side like this or he will destroy himself. It is natural that they fight back because he is threatening their way of life and of thinking about things in what for them is the natural order.

I do care a lot about these things and am not just kissing up to Brian. I began reading his Soapbox because of Queen, but was pleasantly surprised that he was speaking out in defence of animals. I have a spot where I pontificate about such things too:
http://the-sacred-web-of-life.blogspot.com/


Everyone thinks his own fleas are gazelles.
GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Apr 10, 13:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

cacatua wrote:

The letter just below this Parsons blow-out was supportive, and when he answered he said he was making enemies and being vilified by some.

I think Brian must have heard those remarks, being referred to as "the hairy man" or "a millionaire rock star" about one time too many, and lost it! The letter from Councillor Parsons was pretty nasty and provocative itself. It sounds like Brian is getting really stressed out.


I don't buy that.  The 'millionaire rock star' thing is something he needs to be prepared for in this instance as it's not only clear that it will be employed,  but clear that perhaps it should be employed.  It's not irrelevant, and since he can put that fact into a larger context I think he should do so as civilly as possible and as many times as necessary.  Instead he loses his mind, because somebody 'attacked' him.  When he attacks people in the very same way constantly on his soapbox!  He set the tone of the discourse himself a hundred times over.

I know that if I was seeking to not just make decisions for myself but to impose my will on others I would feel a great deal of responsibility to support my position with something other than the fact that I'm right and everybody else is a worthless idiot.  Beneath the dismissive language the councillor is actually making a point of sorts.  Brian is just responding like a stressed out narcissist.   Acting like he's engaged in guerilla warfare, when in fact there is already a law on the books that may be subjected to a free vote (which it's never been as I understand) under a set of circumstances that may or may not come to pass at some unknown time in the future.

pittrek user is on Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Apr 10, 13:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for the correct link :-)

Well, this seems like a nice idea

cacatua user not visiting Queenzone.com
cacatua
Bohemian: 514 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Apr 10, 14:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

GratefulFan wrote:

cacatua wrote:

The letter just below this Parsons blow-out was supportive, and when he answered he said he was making enemies and being vilified by some.

I think Brian must have heard those remarks, being referred to as "the hairy man" or "a millionaire rock star" about one time too many, and lost it! The letter from Councillor Parsons was pretty nasty and provocative itself. It sounds like Brian is getting really stressed out.

I don't buy that.  The 'millionaire rock star' thing is something he needs to be prepared for in this instance as it's not only clear that it will be employed,  but clear that perhaps it should be employed.  It's not irrelevant, and since he can put that fact into a larger context I think he should do so as civilly as possible and as many times as necessary.  Instead he loses his mind, because somebody 'attacked' him.  When he attacks people in the very same way constantly on his soapbox!  He set the tone of the discourse himself a hundred times over.

I know that if I was seeking to not just make decisions for myself but to impose my will on others I would feel a great deal of responsibility to support my position with something other than the fact that I'm right and everybody else is a worthless idiot.  Beneath the dismissive language the councillor is actually making a point of sorts.  Brian is just responding like a stressed out narcissist.   Acting like he's engaged in guerilla warfare, when in fact there is already a law on the books that may be subjected to a free vote (which it's never been as I understand) under a set of circumstances that may or may not come to pass at some unknown time in the future.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
He didn't do himself any favors to add the "guts for garters" part at the end of the letter, and oddly enough, just an hour ago on Facebook, he told the troops to "keep it clean" in their commentary, "Pro-unters are trying to report us....let's not give them any ammo :)"

Yes, he should have expected to be a target for some unkind remarks himself. It just sounds like he lost it. Not good to have it in bold print though - very hard to unring that bell. But now that the pop-off valve has spouted steam, perhaps things will level out.


Everyone thinks his own fleas are gazelles.
Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4282 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Apr 10, 14:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://www.save-me.org.uk/flash/assets/mp3/save-me.mp3

New version of Save Me with Kerry Ellis (probably).