Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Hot Space

forum rss feed
Author

qrock user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 313 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Apr 10, 13:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi and here is another album to discuss about and this is the most debatable album by Queen. Some fans consider it their worst but is it really that Bad. I recently gave it a rating of 8.1. I would agree with many other fans that the first side of the album is quite disapointing particulary the worst Queen song Body Language. But the second side is much better and it's Queen for Pete's Sake, HOW BAD CAN IT BE?

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 28 Apr 10, 17:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

First side is better than the second IMO....Staying power, back chat, and action this day are cool tunes.  The second side has  one of my least favorite queen songs along with body language, and that's put out the fire.  Brian's rock songs arn't working for me at this point, He'll continue this trend on the next album "the works" tear it up...... Calling all girls is another roger disapointment.   On the second side life is real is decent, though far from freddie's best ballads,   the words of love is solid and cool cat is real nice, love the sound of that one.  Obviously under pressure is there.  The album is inconsistent, but hardly horrible.  It's actually a pretty fun listen.  Least favorites are Dancer, body language, put out the fire and calling all girls....The rest I like.

Wiley user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts

Posted: 28 Apr 10, 17:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ok, I guess I just HAVE to post on every single Hot Space thread in the forum.

Like mike said, it's a fun album. Freddie's voice is in top form and IMO the production is good. On the other hand, most people consider the songwriting subpar by Queen's standards. I guess it's lacking a GREAT song in the album's supposed 'style'.

I differ in opinion with mike, as I consider Dancer and Put out the Fire some of the better tracks in there. I like the guitar work in both songs. Had this approach been applied to the rest of the 'funk' songs, the album would have been better.

In my opinion, almost every single song in there would sound a lot better if you replaced the synth leads with guitars and (human) bass and increased the tempo by a few bpm's. One only has to listen to the live versions for proof. Imagine those versions plus Freddie's studio vocals!

ok.computer user not visiting Queenzone.com
ok.computer
Bohemian: 600 posts

Posted: 28 Apr 10, 20:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

8.1???

How the f**k do you get to a position whereby you have .1 in the score??

"Just tryin' to have a little fun, folks..."

Posted: 28 Apr 10, 21:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Without question Freddie's best vocal album, aside from A night at the opera.   It would have kicked ass if it was recorded like the live versions.  My ratings.
Staying power- 8 out of 10
Dancer- 6 out of 10  (not so bad)
Back chat-  7 out of 10  (should of been heavier)
Body language- 5 out of 10 (not Queen's worst song)
Action this day- 7 out of 10 (Good, but better live)
put out the fire- 4 out of 10
life is real-  7 out of 10
calling all girls- 5 out of 10
words of love-  9 out of 10
cool cat- 8 out of 10
under pressure- 10 out of 10

jamster1111 user not visiting Queenzone.com
jamster1111
Bohemian: 844 posts

Posted: 28 Apr 10, 21:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think all songs on that album are great. They each have a unique flavor to them and show how diverse of a band queen was. Each of the songs are very well written but I would have to say the best are Las Palabras De Armor and Life is Real

It's late, but it's time to set me free

It's late, yes I know but there's no way it has to be

Too late, so let the fire take our bodies this night

So late, so let the waters take our guilt in the t
skip user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 622 posts

Posted: 29 Apr 10, 01:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Staying Power"  - Shite.
"Dancer"  - Shite.
"Back Chat"  - Shite.
"Body Language"  - Shite to the tenth power.
"Action This Day"  - Shite
"Put Out the Fire"  - Just o.k.
"Life Is Real (Song for Lennon)"  - Shite.
"Calling All Girls"  - Shite.
"Las Palabras de Amor (The Words of Love)"  - Just o.k.
"Cool Cat" - Shite.
"Under Pressure" - Great song.

Brian May: "I like KISS a lot. I have a great regard for KISS 'cause it's all-out. They just had their vision, they had their dream, and they damn well went for it."

The_CrY user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 68 posts

Posted: 29 Apr 10, 02:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I recently gave this album a 6,4. I recognize what Queen was trying to do here, but it doesn't really fascinate me all that much. Especially the first half is quite dislikable with tracks like Staying Power, Back Chat and Body Language. But then Roger saves the day with two great songs Action This Day and Calling All Girls. Brian adds a good flavor with Dancer, Put Out the Fire and Las Palabras de Amor. While Freddie is very strong with his vocals, I find his songwriting not so good. Life is Real is bearable, but the others, including his collaboration with John on Cool Cat, just don't get to me. Of course, Under Pressure is another good song, but I doubt anyone here would disagree with that. I can see why people could like this album, but the style Queen is pursuing here is not among my favorites, hence my medium rating.

plumrach user not visiting Queenzone.com
plumrach
Bohemian: 716 posts

Posted: 29 Apr 10, 02:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like it

philip storey user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 521 posts

Posted: 29 Apr 10, 03:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hot Spppaaaccceee ,Lets Go !!!!!!!

philip storey user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 521 posts

Posted: 29 Apr 10, 03:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Some people get so excited about these things, its only a bloody record !!!

maxpower user not visiting Queenzone.com
maxpower
Bohemian: 477 posts

Posted: 29 Apr 10, 04:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In all honesty I've never classed Under Pressure as part of the Hot Space album what with being released in 1981 & part of some Greatest Hits 1 compilations across the world & plus the fact for such a well known Queen song its stuck right at the end

Posted: 29 Apr 10, 06:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

maxpower wrote: In all honesty I've never classed Under Pressure as part of the Hot Space album what with being released in 1981 & part of some Greatest Hits 1 compilations across the world & plus the fact for such a well known Queen song its stuck right at the end

Another stupid Queenzone post!...it's only on the bloody record stupid!

jamster1111 user not visiting Queenzone.com
jamster1111
Bohemian: 844 posts

Posted: 29 Apr 10, 08:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

First of all under pressure is not really part of the album, second of all if it was, it would be the worst song on there

It's late, but it's time to set me free

It's late, yes I know but there's no way it has to be

Too late, so let the fire take our bodies this night

So late, so let the waters take our guilt in the t
Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3184 posts

Posted: 29 Apr 10, 08:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

skip wrote: "Staying Power"  - Shite.
"Dancer"  - Shite.
"Back Chat"  - Shite.
"Body Language"  - Shite to the tenth power.
"Action This Day"  - Shite
"Put Out the Fire"  - Just o.k.
"Life Is Real (Song for Lennon)"  - Shite.
"Calling All Girls"  - Shite.
"Las Palabras de Amor (The Words of Love)"  - Just o.k.
"Cool Cat" - Shite.
"Under Pressure" - Great song.

Skip, get your Hot Space ON! LOL

I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth

Posted: 29 Apr 10, 08:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jamster1111 wrote: First of all under pressure is not really part of the album, second of all if it was, it would be the worst song on there

===========================================

Now THAT'S something I've NEVER heard before, in my life: Under Pressure being the WORST song on Hot Space?! 

Haha, I need a drink now...

I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth

Posted: 29 Apr 10, 09:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And another thing: Under Pressure IS technically a part of Hot Space: After the South American leg of The Game Tour, Queen went into the studio in June/July of 1981 and started the recording sessions for Hot Space (including Under Pressure).

qrock user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 313 posts

Posted: 29 Apr 10, 09:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ok.computer wrote: 8.1???

How the f**k do you get to a position whereby you have .1 in the score??

I rated each song and did a mean. By the way that's the rating on individual songs not the album. It's by far Queen's Worst Album and the rest of their albums were rated in the 9.0 - 10 area.

Posted: 29 Apr 10, 10:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ok under pressure wasn't really a hot space song, so crazy little thing wasn't really part of the game.  Afterall, the song was released in 79 while the album was 1980.  The Game was also recorded at 2 different times/sessions, so i guess the game should be considered two different albums?

Holly2003 user is on Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts

Posted: 29 Apr 10, 10:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not possible of course but imagine if Under Pressure appeared on The Game instead of Coming Soon. Would've really strenthened the album, given it another hit single, and maybe made it onto the Queen top five albums (which are imo Queen 2, SHA, ANATO, ADATR & NotW). Under Pressure is a little out of place on Hot Space and I can understand why people say it doesn't really fit with the style or theme of that album

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)