forum rss feed
Author

Mr Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
Mr Mercury
Deity: 4632 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Apr 10, 10:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Belgium is set to become the first ever country in Europe to ban the burqa from being worn in public places.

The vote in Parliament for a nationwide ban on Islamic clothes or veils that do not allow the wearer to be fully identified was almost unanimous.

Full story here

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20100430/twl-belgium-decides-to-ban-the-burqa-3fd0ae9.html

Loved the quote from Isabelle Praile, who said that this could be the start of a slippery slope. "Today it's the full-face veil, tomorrow the veil, the day after it will be Sikh turbans and then perhaps it will be mini-skirts."

As a fully red-blooded heterosexual male, I would welcome the removal of mini-skirts!!!!! :)

"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts

Posted: 30 Apr 10, 11:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Quebec has already been there done that.  My instinct is to think it's a mistake, but I'd be happy to be argued with.

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6257 posts

Posted: 30 Apr 10, 11:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't like the idea of dress regulations. Hence, I don't like this.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

JoxerTheDeityPirate user not visiting Queenzone.com
JoxerTheDeityPirate
Deity: 6272 posts

Posted: 30 Apr 10, 12:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

where's Joanna Lumley when you need her,the Burqa's fought for this country and they should be allowed to live here!
right,nurse,give me more pills :-p

isnt innuendo an italian suppository?

im gonna ride the wild wind!

its_a_hard_life wrote:you nutcase you rule!

joxer replies: but in a nice way :-]

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 03 May 10, 12:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is crazy

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
greataddict user not visiting Queenzone.com
Call me Master, now!
greataddict
Bohemian: 181 posts

Posted: 04 May 10, 16:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi there!

being french, living in Brussels for the last 6 years, I thought I'd give you my opinion on that matter:

I hear a lot about setting legislation on that matter, but I honestly believe that Muslim women who wear that kind of veil are a so small amount of that population.

I hear a lot of opinion about how the niqab is supposed to be linked to polygamy, to beaten-women

But I can't believe this should be the n1 matter of the moment...

anyway, I don't really care about that law, and admit that if I find unpleasant to come across somebody who doesn't show anything of her/his face (feel a little naked somehow...), I don't find it that offensive...

What is left of your dreams?

Just the words on your stone

"a man who learned how to teach

then forgot how to learn"

I should remember that, now that I'm graduated Master musician!
Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 08 May 10, 08:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Mr.Jingles

Posted: 08 May 10, 08:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Mr.Jingles

Posted: 08 May 10, 08:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't like the idea of government regulating the way people dress, unless the person is driving and  the burqa is limiting the ability to concentrate on the road.

Then again, Muslim women who wear burqas are probably prohibited
from driving. What doesn't make much sense to me is how the Muslim
community seems outraged when western society imposes a ban on the
way they dress, but they have far more restrictions on women's rights.

tcc user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1581 posts

Posted: 08 May 10, 09:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think the burqa is very unsociable - you don't know who are dealing with.  If the community involved cannot update the norms by themselves to fit into the modern society, then I think legislation is justified.

Amazon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 996 posts

Posted: 08 May 10, 13:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr.Jingles wrote:"Then again, Muslim women who wear burqas are probably prohibited from driving." Not always.

"What doesn't make much sense to me is how the Muslim community seems outraged when western society imposes a ban on the way they dress, but they have far more restrictions on women's rights." So because the Muslim community alledgedly has 'far more restrictions on women's rights' (which is incredibly debatable), it's okay for the country to restrict women's rights by telling them what they should and shouldn't wear?

tcc wrote:"I think the burqa is very unsociable - you don't know who are dealing with. If the community involved cannot update the norms by themselves to fit into the modern society, then I think legislation is justified." The burqa may be unsociable, but is that a reason to ban it? I mean, we are talking about the government enacting legislation.

My problem with this is that whatever one thinks of the burqa, I hate the idea of the government telling women (or men) what we should and should not wear. In countries like Saudi Arabia, women are banned from wearing anything but the burqa, yet you want women in Western society to be banned from wearing a burqa? I don't understand that. We also have the absurd and hypocritical situation of France, which itself bans the veil in public schools and is contemplating a burqa ban, condemning Sudan for arresting a woman for wearing jeans.

I think it's irrelevent as well how sociable or not the burqa is. Plenty of things are unsociable, sunglasses indoors for example, but we don't force people to cease wearing sunglasses indoors. You also mentioned social norms, but is society really so intolerant of difference that it deals with people violating social norms through legislation?

Posted: 08 May 10, 16:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In the case of sun glasses, you can see the person except his eyes.  In the case of the burqa, you cannot see anything except the eyes. :-)

I am saying it in the context of a multi-racial society.  In their own country where the burqa is the norm, there is nothing we can say.

Posted: 08 May 10, 17:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

tcc wrote:"In the case of sun glasses, you can see the person except his eyes. In the case of the burqa, you cannot see anything except the eyes. :-)

I am saying it in the context of a multi-racial society. In their own country where the burqa is the norm, there is nothing we can say."

Is that such a bad thing that you can't see anything but the eyes? Anyway the question still remains. Would you be happy to live in a nation in which the government isn telling people what they can and can not wear? I wouldn't.

In a liberal democracy, people are going to wear/do/say things that one might not like at all That doesn't mean we should ban them. Especially when the woman in question may not want to show you anything but her eyes. Surely it's her right.

Posted: 08 May 10, 18:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You assume that it is a woman wearing a burqa.  It could be a man inside - we don't know.

As I am a word lazy person, I don't engage in arguments or debates.  So I will stop here.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts

Posted: 09 May 10, 00:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm just waiting for the day when someone robs a bank in a burqa, gets arrested, is forced to take the burqa off in jail, throws the freedom of religion card, and gets away with the crime.

This is one of a thousand reasons why revealing one's identity is a cornerstone of western culture.  Ban the burqa in public now.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca

Posted: 09 May 10, 05:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote:"I'm just waiting for the day when someone robs a bank in a burqa, gets arrested, is forced to take the burqa off in jail, throws the freedom of religion card, and gets away with the crime." But would that ever happen? I don't know about Canada, but in Australia, if someone robs a bank, is convicted of it and is sent to prison, they won't be able to get out if it under any circumstance. I think your fears are misplaced.

Plus, even if someone were to rob a bank using a burqa, is that any reason to ban it? Afterall, people have been known to rob banks wearing halloween masks, wigs and sunglasses and numerous other things.

"This is one of a thousand reasons why revealing one's identity is a cornerstone of western culture. Ban the burqa in public now." What about freedom of religion and choice?

I should admitt that this issue is rather personal for me, however I really do think that part of being in a liberal democracy is not legally forcing women to wear/not to wear particular clothing.

Posted: 09 May 10, 05:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

tcc wrote: "You assume that it is a woman wearing a burqa. It could be a man inside - we don't know."

I won't attempt to reengage you in a debate, but I just want to say that if your concern is that men might wear it, you might as well ban all women's clothes. :D

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts

Posted: 12 May 10, 11:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amazon wrote:

"I don't know about Canada, but in Australia, if someone robs a bank, is convicted of it and is sent to prison, they won't be able to get out if it under any circumstance. I think your fears are misplaced."

I certainly hope you're right.  But in this country, the religion card gets thrown at anything.  This is exactly why "freedom of religion" needs to go, so that we don't favour one faith over another... we thereby favour none.  Otherwise we haven't separated church and state.

Freedom of religion is a nonsensical idea in the 21st century.  If you want to believe in things and they bring you strength, then great.  But if you are going to impose your values on established western culture, then go back home.  We never wore burqas here, and we do not oppress women... and we never will.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
andreas_mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
andreas_mercury
Royalty: 1068 posts

Posted: 12 May 10, 13:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the burga, the nun habit, the jewish head cap - all are outdated and i think to myself they should be all outlawed.  I do not believe i just to single out the muslems because it is totally wrong - all religious wear should be outlaw.

sure to this generation its "infringment of rights" but within 50 years no one will even care beacuse they forget what the stupid dress looks like in the first place ......   they are all outdated and won't be missed

if you do this and also take away the ability of any church to take in money - from the catholic church to scientology - religion will be finally a free and personal thing instead of a malign institution.  they (God-believing people) exist to help us find answers, not to feed us 1000 year old doctrines and bullshit.   and no one should ever have to pay for the truth because it is free.  and should always be so

this is how i feel on the things anyway because i really think that aspect of religios culture is out the window as soon as possible.  i dont have against people who believe in God because that is nothing to do with organized religions.  fuck the church.

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6257 posts

Posted: 14 May 10, 07:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote: I'm just waiting for the day when someone robs a bank in a burqa, gets arrested, is forced to take the burqa off in jail, throws the freedom of religion card, and gets away with the crime.

This is one of a thousand reasons why revealing one's identity is a cornerstone of western culture.  Ban the burqa in public now.

That kite don't fly. When someone has been arrested, it is an additional crime (yes, I actually think it's a crime and not a misdemeanor in most countries) to hinder the process of identification. So, the "freedom of religion card" wouldn't apply.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus