Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Your favorite Roger Taylor releases

forum rss feed
Author

The_CrY user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 68 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 May 10, 07:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm about to dive into the Roger Taylor discography, but I think I need some direction here and there. Can anyone tell me what his best releases are? I so far heard 3 songs: The Unblinking Eye, Nazis 1994 and People On Streets, and they are all awesome. Can anyone advise me on this one?

Vali user not visiting Queenzone.com
Vali
Deity: 2043 posts

Posted: 03 May 10, 07:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The_CrY wrote: I'm about to dive into the Roger Taylor discography, but I think I need some direction here and there. Can anyone tell me what his best releases are? I so far heard 3 songs: The Unblinking Eye, Nazis 1994 and People On Streets, and they are all awesome. Can anyone advise me on this one?

Hi The_CrY,

as per the three songs you´ve heard, I´d recommend you to pick his albums in this order:

Happiness
Electric Fire
Blue Rock (The Cross)
Mad, Bad and Dangerous To Know (The Cross)
Strange Frontier
Fun In Space
Shove It (The Cross)

This is my list ... according to my preferences.

Keep in mind that both "Blue Rock" and "Mad, Bad,..." aren´t easy to find unless you´re ready to pay a good sum. I mean, you won´t find them at e-bay at, let´s say, 12 EUR / 11 GBP / 16 USD.

If I had to sacrify  one album, that´d be "Shove It", no doubts about it.  

cheers

Bring out the charge of the love brigade
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18461 posts

Posted: 03 May 10, 09:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Personally, I think The Cross aren't worth your time, for the most part.  They're incredibly dated now as they were then.  There are a few great songs, but overall you're not missing much.  As for Roger's stuff, all four records contain great material, but I think the strongest one is Electric Fire, with Happiness coming in as a close second.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Wiley user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1703 posts

Posted: 03 May 10, 11:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My favorite has to be Fun in Space and that one has Roger playing almost every single instrument. It's got a great 'feeling' or 'ambience' (is that even a word?) and you almost feel like it's got a concept.

One reviewer at the time called it "Son of Flash Gordon" and I can see some similarities in the sound and feeling but I like Fun in Space better.

Electric Fire and Happiness are tied in second place, while Strange Frontier does nothing for me, really.

Regarding The Cross: Blue Rock has great moments in it, I haven't heard MBADTK and Shove it is (a little less than) shit.

"... get hip to the beat in the hip-hop street..."
Awful!

people on streets user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1305 posts

Posted: 03 May 10, 11:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My top 3:

1 Blue Rock 
2 Happpiness
3 Electric Fire

Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4259 posts

Posted: 03 May 10, 11:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I read somewhere that a casual listener called Roger's solo material the strongest any member of a famous rockband has released and I have no reason to doubt that. Just compare Happiness to Back To The Light or Electric Fire to Another World. Where Brian throws together a couple of left-overs to fill the 2nd half of the album Roger actually seems to put some thought in the sequencing and feel of his albums. Sure, he doesn't have a track like Business, but he also doesn't have shit like The Guv'nor :D

philip storey user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 521 posts

Posted: 03 May 10, 15:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fun In Space and Strange Frontier are Rogers best solo efforts, Airheads, My Country,Strange Frontier,Man On Fire are stand out tracks. Happiness and Electric Fire have some good moments but some awfull stuff like Touch The Sky and People On Streets. Hold back on spending a lot of money on Blue Rock and Mad Bad as there could be a box set out at some point,

people on streets user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1305 posts

Posted: 03 May 10, 15:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

philip storey wrote: Fun In Space and Strange Frontier are Rogers best solo efforts, Airheads, My Country,Strange Frontier,Man On Fire are stand out tracks. Happiness and Electric Fire have some good moments but some awfull stuff like Touch The Sky and People On Streets. Hold back on spending a lot of money on Blue Rock and Mad Bad as there could be a box set out at some point,

==============

Having Blue Rock on LP vinyl is great. I can recommend it to everyone.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18461 posts

Posted: 04 May 10, 00:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pim Derks wrote:

"I read somewhere that a casual listener called Roger's solo material the strongest any member of a famous rockband has released and I have no reason to doubt that."

Roger's stuff is great, but it tops Brian Wilson, Phil Collins (first two albums), Roger Waters, Dave Gilmour, Sting, Lennon/McCartney/Harrison, Paul Weller, and Don Henley?  Maybe you should re-examine that statement.. :-)

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
The_CrY user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 68 posts

Posted: 04 May 10, 06:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Alright people, I've ordered Electric Fire and Fun in Space, they should arrive somewhere this week I guess. Thanks for your advices. Perhaps I'll let you know how I liked them.

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2754 posts

Posted: 04 May 10, 09:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pim Derks wrote: I read somewhere that a casual listener called Roger's solo material the strongest any member of a famous rockband has released and I have no reason to doubt that. Just compare Happiness to Back To The Light or Electric Fire to Another World. Where Brian throws together a couple of left-overs to fill the 2nd half of the album Roger actually seems to put some thought in the sequencing and feel of his albums. Sure, he doesn't have a track like Business, but he also doesn't have shit like The Guv'nor :D

will you stop with that crap!...it's all opinion.....You think roger's solo stuff is so great, while i think it's forgettable at best.....I'm not a huge fan of brians solo stuff, but back to the light is much better than anything roger could ever dream of doing.   Now back to the subject at hand....My favorite is electric fire, i pop it in my CD player every 5 years or so. Not half bad.   Mr. Derks.....the original poster asked our opinion on roger's best solo stuff,  not a brian vs roger thread!

Posted: 04 May 10, 10:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote: Pim Derks wrote:

"I read somewhere that a casual listener called Roger's solo material the strongest any member of a famous rockband has released and I have no reason to doubt that."

Roger's stuff is great, but it tops Brian Wilson, Phil Collins (first two albums), Roger Waters, Dave Gilmour, Sting, Lennon/McCartney/Harrison, Paul Weller, and Don Henley?  Maybe you should re-examine that statement.. :-)
I don't know if barclona is considered a solo album,  but that piece of work is on another level of anything roger.....Roger taylor vs john Lennon?...lol....come on now.

bigV user not visiting Queenzone.com
bigV
Royalty: 1646 posts

Posted: 04 May 10, 10:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Blue Rock" is a must in my opinion. It's possibly the second best solo-project (after "Barcelona").

V.

I'm as mad as HELL, and I'm not going to take this anymore!

PrincessofTaylor user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 60 posts

Posted: 04 May 10, 11:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The_CrY wrote: Alright people, I've ordered Electric Fire and Fun in Space, they should arrive somewhere this week I guess. Thanks for your advices. Perhaps I'll let you know how I liked them.
I think you picked the right two albums. Electric Fire has his strongest material, but also has some real duds (although I consider People on Streets to be a dud and you liked that so who knows!). Fun in Space is solid throughout (as is Happiness?) - no real standouts, but no dodgy moments either. Strange Frontier is probably my least favorite (although it contains two my favorite songs: Man on Fire and Strange Frontier) - the rest of the album is rather weak in comparison IMO.

Can't comment on any of The Cross stuff as I don't own the albums (only heard songs hear and there).

I'll be interested to hear what you think!

Soundfreak user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 378 posts

Posted: 04 May 10, 12:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Can it be, that Roger used several Queen outtakes on his early albums?

"Man on Fire" sounds definitely like Brian May playing his Red Special here. 
The same goes for "Heaven for everyone" on the first Cross album, which does not only feature Freddie singing. Also the solo in the middle is a definite Brian May.

Posted: 04 May 10, 13:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Soundfreak wrote: Can it be, that Roger used several Queen outtakes on his early albums?

"Man on Fire" sounds definitely like Brian May playing his Red Special here. 
The same goes for "Heaven for everyone" on the first Cross album, which does not only feature Freddie singing. Also the solo in the middle is a definite Brian May.
I vaguely remember hearing about an original tracklisting for The Works that included Man on Fire. I don't know if the track ever got out of demo stages and Brian isn't credited on Roger's album so who knows.

Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4259 posts

Posted: 04 May 10, 13:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie also isn't credited on Killing Time and the single remix of I Cry For You, but I'm still convinced he's on those tracks....

Posted: 04 May 10, 13:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I always think the backing vocals on Killing Time sound more Bowie-esque than Freddie-esque (not to say that it is David Bowie - just that I think Roger is capable of sounding rather like him).

Posted: 04 May 10, 21:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The EP he did with Yoshiki, foreign sand, you had to be there (this song is about freddie in my opinion) and final destination is roger's best solo release.  I remember hearing that EP and thinking how amazing happiness was gonna be. Only to be dissapointed when hearing the whole album.   The rest of the album was weak IMO...Actually sold Happiness back to record store.  I still have that EP though.  Great stuff.

cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 2946 posts

Posted: 05 May 10, 06:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Roger is currently putting together a 'Best of...' for his solo material, so it's probably worth waiting for that.  Funnily, I find the original poster's choice of favourite songs amongst my least favourites!

If pushed, I think Electric Fire is the strongest and most consistent album, and Happiness has some strong songs.  Strange Frontier was very good at the time, but like most material from that time period, it does sound dated now.  Fun In Space does sound a bit like an album put together with ideas that really didn't suit Queen that Roger wanted to get 'out there'.

I like all the The Cross albums - Shove it is actually quite adventurous in the sound of the album, has some good pop type songs, but sounds a bit dated now.  Mad, Bad..... is more an attempt at a straight forward live sounding rock album, and Blue Rock is probably the most varied and most acomplished.

Roger's voice is great throughout them all!!