Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Question for you all

forum rss feed
Author

freddiefan91 user not visiting Queenzone.com
freddiefan91
Bohemian: 399 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 May 10, 02:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Is there any Queen song where you like the music more than the actual lyrics?

For example with Get down make love i like the music more than the lyrics although there is nothing wrong with the actual lyrics themselves also the same for Now Im Here

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 May 10, 02:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Most of the Innuendo album.

The_CrY user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 68 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 May 10, 03:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Miracle (song)

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 May 10, 04:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

With only occasional exceptions, I've always thought the four Queen members were good lyricists, but waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better composers/arrangers.


John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
studyan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 53 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 May 10, 05:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

love all the stuff they did EXCEPT GOD SAVE THE QUEEN what a cow and the rest of the royal wankers


studyan
jamster1111 user not visiting Queenzone.com
jamster1111
Bohemian: 844 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 May 10, 08:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ya most songs I like the music better than the lyrics. They were composers, not poets. The only song where I like the lyrics more than the music is probably body language and get down make love


It's late, but it's time to set me free

It's late, yes I know but there's no way it has to be

Too late, so let the fire take our bodies this night

So late, so let the waters take our guilt in the t
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 May 10, 08:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Tons of songs....March of the black Queen comes to mind.  Too many to mention actually.  I like their lryics, but most songs are great because of the arrangments.  Vocally and musically.

dragon-fly user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 600 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 May 10, 17:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Many of Mercury's songs. Wonderful music but the lyrics often weird or confusing. (Sorry Freddie!) May was much better at this aspect.

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 May 10, 18:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

dragon-fly wrote: Many of Mercury's songs. Wonderful music but the lyrics often weird or confusing. (Sorry Freddie!) May was much better at this aspect.
Not sure i agree with that.....

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 May 10, 02:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mike hunt wrote: dragon-fly wrote: Many of Mercury's songs. Wonderful music but the lyrics often weird or confusing. (Sorry Freddie!) May was much better at this aspect.
Not sure i agree with that.....
I do: who needs 'Lily of the Valley' or 'Jealousy' when you've got 'Sweet Lady' and 'Son and Daughter'?


John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Amazon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 996 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 May 10, 03:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:"mike hunt wrote: dragon-fly wrote: Many of Mercury's
songs. Wonderful music but the lyrics often weird or confusing. (Sorry Freddie!) May was much better at this aspect.
Not sure i agree with that....."
"I do: who needs 'Lily of the Valley' or 'Jealousy' when you've got 'Sweet Lady' and 'Son and Daughter'?"


I don't agree. I think that Jealousy and Lily of the Valley have much better lyrics than Sweet Lady, and also have better lyrics than Son and Daughter. Also, while May was great, I consider Freddie to have been Queen's most talented lyricist, as well as its best song-writer and composer.

I truly love Freddie's lyrics, March of the Black Queen being a prime example, and I struggle to identify any Queen songs which I love in which the lyrics ar ordinary. Partly, it's because IMO the four Queen members (especially Freddie) were extraordinary lyricists, but also since lyrics play such an important role, it's hard for me to fall in love with a song with less than great lyrics. When the lyrics are particularly bad (such as Don't Try Suicide or If You Can't Beat Them or to a lesser extent Sweet Lady), the songs in question are often among my least favourite Queen songs.

Holly2003 user is on Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 May 10, 04:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For me, the lyrics play second fiddle to the music. For example, on the Peaches thread, I realised for the first time the lyrics to Now I'm Here aren't "Baby I waltzed when you took my hand" :) I have the SHA album, but as it's second hand, I never had the lyrics sheet, nor could I be bothered to ever find them. But some Queen lyrics are misunderstood. People get riled by the "Call me sweet like I'm some kind of cheese" line in Sweet Lady, but there are sweet cheeses! Also, the "people with guns" line in Put Out the Fire is misunderstood: you need to know a little of the gun debate in the USA to fully appreciate that line. On the surface it looks a little silly, and it's sung with an emphasis that is missing in the rest of the song. But it does make sense if you know the debate:

"Guns don't kill, people kill"

"Yes, people WITH GUNS"


"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
dragon-fly user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 600 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 May 10, 06:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mike hunt wrote: dragon-fly wrote: Many of Mercury's songs. Wonderful music but the lyrics often weird or confusing. (Sorry Freddie!) May was much better at this aspect.
Not sure i agree with that.....

Nobody ask you to! :P

Nice, you guys picked few the most weird songs from Bri, but nothing to underline from Fred? How so? 
I did NOT say May was perfect at writing lyrics. I said that he was better than Mercury IMHO. Of course he've got lousy lyrics as well. Don't try to read between the lines- there's nothing! 
And I'm not going to analyze the songs. 
Sebastian- if you want- go ahead.

GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 May 10, 09:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amazon wrote: 

I don't agree. I think that Jealousy and Lily of the Valley have much better lyrics than Sweet Lady, and also have better lyrics than Son and Daughter. Also, while May was great, I consider Freddie to have been Queen's most talented lyricist, as well as its best song-writer and composer.

I truly love Freddie's lyrics, March of the Black Queen being a prime example, and I struggle to identify any Queen songs which I love in which the lyrics ar ordinary. Partly, it's because IMO the four Queen members (especially Freddie) were extraordinary lyricists, but also since lyrics play such an important role, it's hard for me to fall in love with a song with less than great lyrics. When the lyrics are particularly bad (such as Don't Try Suicide or If You Can't Beat Them or to a lesser extent Sweet Lady), the songs in question are often among my least favourite Queen songs.

========================================

I've been meaning to get back to the discussion where I was threatening to keep you away from the stereo, meaning in fact to start a thread about why people like one song and not another in general.  It's interesting that this question has come up because one of the thoughts I had with regard to you (just again because we seem to be so very opposite in most songs so it's interesting to me)  is that maybe the lyrics were really important to you and the music was really important to me.  Like experiencing the song mostly with one's head or mind, rather than mostly with one's rhythmic gut, for lack of a better term.

I do like lyrics, but I tend to experience them in very incomplete pieces.  I can sing a song out loud for years without really attending to the whole of it.  I had this experience just the other day with a song called 'Ahead by a Century' that I've listened to dozens of times.  I always really dig a short line 'tonight we smoke them out' .  I love the way it sounds and I love the way it feels.  For the first time in 10 or more years I asked myself 'smoke what out?'  The answer?  Hornets, on the surface at least.  The lines that precede it are "that's when the hornet stung me, and I had a feverish dream.  Revenge and doubt, tonight we smoke them out.'  How did I not notice that before?  And the irony is that this guy is one of my favourite lyricists.  He's brilliant.  If I zone out on him, I can zone out on anybody.

Some songs are so defined by their lyrics that you can't really experience one without the other.  Bo Rhap is one like that, Save Me another. I'm sure there's more, but this post is long enough.

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 May 10, 13:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amazon wrote: Sebastian wrote:"mike hunt wrote: dragon-fly wrote: Many of Mercury's
songs. Wonderful music but the lyrics often weird or confusing. (Sorry Freddie!) May was much better at this aspect.
Not sure i agree with that....."
"I do: who needs 'Lily of the Valley' or 'Jealousy' when you've got 'Sweet Lady' and 'Son and Daughter'?"

I don't agree. I think that Jealousy and Lily of the Valley have much better lyrics than Sweet Lady, and also have better lyrics than Son and Daughter. Also, while May was great, I consider Freddie to have been Queen's most talented lyricist, as well as its best song-writer and composer.

I truly love Freddie's lyrics, March of the Black Queen being a prime example, and I struggle to identify any Queen songs which I love in which the lyrics ar ordinary. Partly, it's because IMO the four Queen members (especially Freddie) were extraordinary lyricists, but also since lyrics play such an important role, it's hard for me to fall in love with a song with less than great lyrics. When the lyrics are particularly bad (such as Don't Try Suicide or If You Can't Beat Them or to a lesser extent Sweet Lady), the songs in question are often among my least favourite Queen songs.
No Question in my mind that freddie was the best writer of the four....The arrangments were way more original and creative than the other members, not even close IMO.  Freddie was actually a groundbreaking writer....Name one other write who could write a killer Queen?....He was totally original as a writer.  Lryics though was much more closer...you could make the case maybe brian may was equal or even better than mercury.  lryics was freds weakest part of his game for sure. His arrangments though blow brian out of the water.  That's not even debatable.

Amazon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 996 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 May 10, 14:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think that lyrics was Freddie's weakest point, and as a lyricist, I think he was definitely better than Brian.

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 May 10, 15:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

OF course it's all a matter of opinion here, but:

Fred was a good lyriricst.
Freddie was an extraordinary composer.
Freddie was an extraordinary arranger.

So yes, in the creative department, lyrics were his 'weakest' point. If you've got three brothers, aged 70, 100 and 102, the one who's 70-YO is the 'youngest' of them all, even if he's not a teenager, let alone a baby. Same here: Fred's lyrics weren't bad, but they were far inferior to his music. He was the first to admit so.

And of course I was being sarcastic when mentioning arguably Brian's worst lyrical pieces and compared them with two of Fred's best. And that's my point exactly: if we compared 'Dragon Attack' with 'Love of My Life', Fred would 'win' by a country mile; but if we compared 'Delilah' with 'The Show Must Go On' it'd be the other way around.


John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Amazon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 996 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 May 10, 16:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:
"OF course it's all a matter of opinion here, but:

Fred was a good lyriricst.
Freddie was an extraordinary composer.
Freddie was an extraordinary arranger.

So yes, in the creative department, lyrics were his 'weakest' point. If you've got three brothers, aged 70, 100 and 102, the one who's 70-YO is the 'youngest' of them all, even if he's not a teenager, let alone a baby. Same here: Fred's lyrics weren't bad, but they were far inferior to his music. He was the first to admit so"

Except everything you said IS a matter of opinion. Contrasting it to the ages of three brothers is absurd, that's fact, however saying that Freddie was a better composer and arranger than he was as a lyricist (and using the adjective you did) is entirely subjective. It also doesn't matter what Freddie said. He may believe that his lyrics was his weakest point, that doesn't mean that others have to agree with him. This whole thing is subjective, and in fact, even saying that Freddie was an adequate song-writer is subjective. Similarly, the examples of songs you used are subjective.

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 May 10, 17:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i don't think the lryics for delilah were bad, Actually charming if anything. The music in the song was lacking though.  It is all opinion, we know that.  The reason i like freds lryics a little better than brian (surprise surprise) is because they're not so simple, you have to guess what the hell this guy is talking about. I personally love the fact that fans still debate what Bo rhap was about,  or the crazy lryics to Fairyfeller's Masterstroke, Which i think were brillant.  I still wonder what the hell some of the lryics in march of the black queen were about...Where the hell did this guy come up with this stuff?....My fairy king?.....Some may say silly or confusing, I say fucking brilliant!.....Even brian may seems in awe of those early freddie songs......And love of my life is one of the best love songs lryically and musically ever written.    One more thing.....Freddie never said that Lryics were his weakest point, or part of his game....He Just said it was the tougest part of writing for him,  it doesn't mean he wasn't happy with the end result.  It just gave him trouble.

Oberon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 499 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 May 10, 18:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mike hunt wrote: i don't think the lryics for delilah were bad, Actually charming if anything. The music in the song was lacking though.  It is all opinion, we know that.  The reason i like freds lryics a little better than brian (surprise surprise) is because they're not so simple, you have to guess what the hell this guy is talking about. I personally love the fact that fans still debate what Bo rhap was about,  or the crazy lryics to Fairyfeller's Masterstroke, Which i think were brillant.  I still wonder what the hell some of the lryics in march of the black queen were about...Where the hell did this guy come up with this stuff?....My fairy king?.....Some may say silly or confusing, I say fucking brilliant!.....Even brian may seems in awe of those early freddie songs......And love of my life is one of the best love songs lryically and musically ever written.    One more thing.....Freddie never said that Lryics were his weakest point, or part of his game....He Just said it was the tougest part of writing for him,  it doesn't mean he wasn't happy with the end result.  It just gave him trouble.
I actually listened to Delilah the other day and loved it. I thought the guitar work was actually really good. I mean it's an obvious thing to make the guitar sound like a cat, but I defy any other guitarist to do it with the "style" that Brian did.

It's funny, because I always absorb the music first and lyrics later, sometime much later. I've got friends who have commented on lyrics and I've thought "wow, I've never realised that lyric was like that". I'm much more into the music, and sometimes the lyrics just lodge in my brain without me really analysing the meaning at all

I do agree about some of Fred's lyrics on the first 2/3 albums. I don't think they bettered them in their whole career just for being so interesting


Tatterdemalion and the junketer

There's a thief and a dragonfly trumpeter