Author

Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 May 10, 03:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Was he a drunk? Was he a drug addict?

Do any of you think he was addicted to either? Even Brian May claims that Freddie was boozing it up with Vodka in 1990 and 1991.

Not to mention the infamous 'Spread Your Wings' and 'We Will Rock You' video shoot, where Freddie was tripping everywhere, forgetting lines, and wasn't singing along in time with the lyrics, so multiple takes had to be done.

What are your speculations?

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
freddiefan91 user not visiting Queenzone.com
freddiefan91
Bohemian: 399 posts

Posted: 17 May 10, 03:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

With the vodka thing i think freddie only used it near the end to give him a bit of strength to sing TSMGO as is what Brian stated

Peter Freestone said in his book that when Freddie went for a night out he took drugs then but he wasnt addicted and that was in freddies new york phase

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6245 posts

Posted: 17 May 10, 05:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You can't say that he was or was not "addicted" to liquor, or coke, or whatever. We know, from footage and anecdotal evidence, that he was rather intemperate with said substances, but that does not equate "addicted".

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

andreas_mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
andreas_mercury
Royalty: 1068 posts

Posted: 17 May 10, 08:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

so indeed freddie had vices ..... vodka and gay sex ...... but that is to be his business, why cant people accept this?  so he even died because of his ass, it's still not our topic to talk

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2752 posts

Posted: 17 May 10, 08:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

We could talk about anything we want.....not sure why anyone gives a rats ass though.  freddie was freddie....look at live aid, the man was obviously coked up.  not sure about addicted, but he did love his booze and drugs for sure.  I think he was more a binger than addicted.

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 17 May 10, 08:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

At least he didn't get as bad as Stevie Nicks, who preferred her powder delivered to the back door.

freddiefan91

Posted: 17 May 10, 09:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MIKEHUNT

Why would you say he was coked up during live aid?

Posted: 17 May 10, 09:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That was a rumor that freddie was coked up all that week leading up to the show,  and look at him.  The man was out of control, attacking the camera guy.  Maybe he was naturally jacked up for that show, but He was so pumped  he could have kicked godzilla's ass that day.  I'm sure freddie went on stage plenty of nights high as a kite.   Especially in the late 70's to mid 80's.

freddiefan91

Posted: 17 May 10, 09:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Maybe as it showed he was just naturally happy to be on stage that day and the thing with the camerman he was just having a laugh

Never having done drugs myself if he was coked up how would he remember the right keys on the piano and all the rest of it

we dont know for sure

Soundfreak user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 378 posts

Posted: 17 May 10, 09:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mike hunt wrote: That was a rumor that freddie was coked up all that week leading up to the show,  and look at him.  The man was out of control, attacking the camera guy.  Maybe he was naturally jacked up for that show, but He was so pumped  he could have kicked godzilla's ass that day.  I'm sure freddie went on stage plenty of nights high as a kite.   Especially in the late 70's to mid 80's.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I don't believe that he was "coked up". Bands and musicians under that influence play extremely hard and agressive, they lose their "feeling" and do no longer care for the other players or the sound as a whole.

This can no way be said about Freddie at Live Aid. His assistant Peter Freestone also confirmed, that Freddie did only take drugs in private and never on stage or before a show.

If you wanna see how "coked up-people" play, try this one from Fleetwood Mac and their Tusk Tour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eZmnMk8H6w

Posted: 17 May 10, 10:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

freddiefan91 wrote: Maybe as it showed he was just naturally happy to be on stage that day and the thing with the camerman he was just having a laugh

Never having done drugs myself if he was coked up how would he remember the right keys on the piano and all the rest of it

we dont know for sure

fair enough....That bit with the camera guy was classic.

GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts

Posted: 17 May 10, 10:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Soundfreak wrote:

If you wanna see how "coked up-people" play, try this one from Fleetwood Mac and their Tusk Tour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eZmnMk8H6w

========================================

OMFG.  Buckingham looked he was waiting for clearance from air traffic control.  Terrible.

Peter Freestone did say that some of the energy of the Live Aid show came from the energy of Fred's new relationship with Jim.  It was the first time Jim would see him play and he was probably happy and showing off a little.

freddiefan91

Posted: 17 May 10, 10:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The crowd seemed to like freddie playing with the camerman as you could hear them cheering in the background

anthony mallan user not visiting Queenzone.com
master marathon runner

Rocker: 21 posts

Posted: 17 May 10, 10:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Micrówave wrote: At least he didn't get as bad as Stevie Nicks, who preferred her powder delivered to the back door.

....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................please clarify 'back door'

a.c.mallan
plumrach user not visiting Queenzone.com
plumrach
Bohemian: 716 posts

Posted: 17 May 10, 10:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Personally i thought Freddie was awesome that day as were the rest of the band, nothing to do with drugs just pure adrenalin from being on stage i reckon

andreas_mercury

Posted: 17 May 10, 12:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i just wish he wouldnt of had the gay sex

ILoveQueen20 user not visiting Queenzone.com
ILoveQueen20
Bohemian: 249 posts

Posted: 17 May 10, 13:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I thought Freddie was a coke addict....? and aparently when him and MJ were recording MJ caught him doing coke :-S

& as for the alcohol (I dont know much about that)

Queen Forever!
andreas_mercury

Posted: 17 May 10, 13:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

yeh well MJ was hypocrit ...  only need to look your eyes to how he died, hehehe

Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3169 posts

Posted: 17 May 10, 15:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, Freddie drank and did cocaine for awhile: But he never was "addicted" to it--and kept the partying off stage (wasn't intoxicated on stage).

I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
hannah3011 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 1 posts

Posted: 17 May 10, 16:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I read in a book that Freddie DID use drugs and DID drink alcohol. but was NOT addicted in any way shape or form to either things. in fact he was AGAINST people using drugs. he was using them but was 100% not addicted to them.