Forums > Queen collecting and trading > Mad Bad And Dangerous To Know

forum rss feed
Author

poppo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 58 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 May 10, 03:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yesterday I won a Mad Bad-Cd on Ebay for only $8,99. Today another version was up again by the same seller (http://cgi.ebay.nl/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290440182229&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:NL:1123). I think that these might be pirate copies. Does anyone here have any experience with this seller (stuck_inside)?

LuckyRocks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 75 posts

Posted: 30 May 10, 04:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello - sorry to tell you that but...

it seems that ebay is flooded by pirated items from The Cross!
This already was posted on the german fan club site (queenfcg.de)!

Be aware buying Mad, Bad & Dangerous To Know and Blue Rock.

These are fake / counterfeit pressings very likely!!! The genuine editions went for much more money than the fake pressings.

LuckyRocks

Posted: 30 May 10, 05:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I already thought so. I know that this CD normally sells for much more. I didn't pay yet, I first mailed the seller for an explanation.

Wiley user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts

Posted: 30 May 10, 11:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've been meaning to ask this in the last couple of weeks. I actually won TWO eBay auctions with Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know, both in around $20 USD.

This happened just before you started seeing a million copies of these on eBay. Hopefully, mine (at least one) will be original, but I'm starting to doubt. :(

Does anybody know how to tell the difference from an original CD and the pirate versions?

Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 30 May 10, 13:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, I've got some genuine ones, so post some pics of the version you've got and I'll tell you!

Posted: 30 May 10, 21:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Penetration_Guru wrote: Well, I've got some genuine ones, so post some pics of the version you've got and I'll tell you!
Will do that. Thanks Guru!

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 31 May 10, 06:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This sucks.

But I kind of have to ask, why would anyone counterfeit this CD?  Surely there's not gonna be that big of a market for these now.  Wouldn't it make better sense to counterfeit the actual solo albums instead?

Panchgani user not visiting Queenzone.com
St Peter's Burnt Piano
Panchgani
Deity: 6375 posts

Posted: 31 May 10, 13:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Micrówave wrote: This sucks.

But I kind of have to ask, why would anyone counterfeit this CD?  Surely there's not gonna be that big of a market for these now.  Wouldn't it make better sense to counterfeit the actual solo albums instead?

Larger profit margin of course.  MBaDtK is the most difficult queen related album to obtain.  In the 1990's (before e-bay) it took me years to find it at a reasonable price whereas every other solo was easy for me to obtain.

Roger: I like it. If you don't. Sod you!

Queen song poll: http://home.comcast.net/~vantricers/index.html

B-52's: I, I, I'm lookin for some fun - waitin for the REAL Queen Box Sets to come

Posted: 31 May 10, 14:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with the Larger margin comment, but why would they flood eBay with these pirate copies? I mean, sell many of them all roughly at the same time and only recently.

I had looked for that CD along with Blue Rock for over a year now and they only appeared every month or so. Now, all of a sudden, there's 5 of each at any given time, many different sellers.

Obviously, the first few went for 20-30 USD but now some are fetching less than 10 USD. Some do not sell at all.

Posted: 31 May 10, 18:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I received both MBADTK CD's today. They are both identical, except one comes with a transparent tray and the other one has a black tray.

I am attaching a scan of the booklet and the CD and I am already expecting the worst :S.

The disc says Made in Switzerland.

In the inner part of the disc I can see some letters and numbers (the matrix number, perhaps?). It says:
ICM K013107 CDP 793924-2     1  1  3    0  1  0  1

Anybody who has the real deal (Guru?), can you please take me out of my misery and tell me if these are fake or not?

Thanks!

EDIT: There is some problem with the image loaded. Here is a link: http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/6711/thecrossmbadtk.jpg

Attachment: 103431198720511.PNG 3 MB
This has been downloaded 39 time(s).

Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts

Posted: 01 Jun 10, 05:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hmmm... the matrix number matches the original... BUT on mine, and on all the other originals I have seen, the disc itself is colour printed... It has the yellowish colour as on the booklet, although the text as in your picture is identical...

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts

Posted: 01 Jun 10, 06:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow mine must be worth a fortune: it has Mad Bad and Dangerous and Blue Rock on the same CD! lol

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)

Posted: 01 Jun 10, 14:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jeroen, Thanks for the comment. Is your CD made in Switzerland as well?

Is there any possibility that the CD in the UK version is printed in color and the Swiss one is like the one I have?

It is weird that the Matrix number is correct but the rest seems doubtful. Something about the disc doesn't look or feel right, though. I know there are other official-yet-obscure releases that have shady manufacture, print, etc.

I hope this thread had been put in a forum where more people would read it, but I don't want to open other threads just to 'demand' an answer to my question.
Any additional feedback will be appreciated.

Hopefully, this will happen within the next 5 days or so, because I have to decide if I want to return the CDs or keep them.

PS: By the way, one of the CDs I got I bought it from the same eBay seller that the Original poster mentions. The other CD I got it from someone else at eBay.

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 02 Jun 10, 03:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I cannot open the attachment, can you send it to me via email, Jayce?

I do not want any google ads here.

Posted: 02 Jun 10, 05:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wiley wrote: Jeroen, Thanks for the comment. Is your CD made in Switzerland as well?

Is there any possibility that the CD in the UK version is printed in color and the Swiss one is like the one I have?

It is weird that the Matrix number is correct but the rest seems doubtful. Something about the disc doesn't look or feel right, though. I know there are other official-yet-obscure releases that have shady manufacture, print, etc.

I hope this thread had been put in a forum where more people would read it, but I don't want to open other threads just to 'demand' an answer to my question.
Any additional feedback will be appreciated.

Hopefully, this will happen within the next 5 days or so, because I have to decide if I want to return the CDs or keep them.

PS: By the way, one of the CDs I got I bought it from the same eBay seller that the Original poster mentions. The other CD I got it from someone else at eBay.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wiley, yes, it's also a Swiss pressing. As I said: the text on the disc is identical - on the original it also has this weird thing of the line "P 1990 the copyright in this sound recording" on the right side, going into the copyright text along the edge of the disc... which looks weird - amateurish.

I'm also a bit lost here. Never expected the matrix numbers to match....

Does your version have a full booklet? 12 pages, numbered, yellowish paper with lyrics.
Could you upload a scan of the tray inlay? Maybe we'll find something there?
  What does you booklet smell like? ;-))

Posted: 02 Jun 10, 06:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I mailed the seller with the question if it was an original pressing, since he offered another MAD BAD cd the day after I won the CD. He mailed me back saying that it was a normal factory pressed CD, not a CD-R, with artwork. He thought it was a reissue. I mailed him back that there are no reïssues of this album, so it must be a counterfeit and that I am not going to buy it. I didn't get an answer to that (I mailed him two days ago).

Posted: 02 Jun 10, 08:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

YourValentine wrote: I cannot open the attachment, can you send it to me via email, Jayce?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Barbara, the attachment didn't go well, for some reason, but you can click on this URL to see the image.
http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/6711/thecrossmbadtk.jpg. I don't think I have your email at hand but I will look for it and send you the file later today.

Jjeroen: The trays on both CDs are different. One is transparent and kinda looks good. The other one is black but REALLY BLACK, and not the dark gray-almost black trays most CDs have. It is glossy/shiny looking and not opaque, too. Looks cheap, though.

The booklet looks good enough, actually. I will scan more of it when I get to the office in an hour or so.

I contacted both sellers but neither has replied. I told them I suspected they were pirate/counterfeit editions and that I had 7 days to return the CDs per their own policies. The Return policy on one of the auctions says the seller covers for return shipping costs, while I have to pay for the return of the other.

Thanks for your help!!!

Posted: 02 Jun 10, 11:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wiley wrote:

Jjeroen: The trays on both CDs are different. One is transparent and kinda looks good. The other one is black but REALLY BLACK, and not the dark gray-almost black trays most CDs have. It is glossy/shiny looking and not opaque, too. Looks cheap, though.

I meant the paper inlay on the back, hehe, the one behind the tray, not the tray itsself ;-)
The paper that shows the titles, label-info and barcode... ;-)

Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 02 Jun 10, 15:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wouldn't worry about the tray - that could be damage replacement.

Odd though - the disc I have is identical in every way - matrix number, layout of information, font, content...except one thing.

Yours is printed onto the silver disc.

Mine is a yellow label stuck to the disc.

Now this in itself doesn't necessarily mean you have a pirate - it could just be a second pressing.  BUT - there surely wasn't enough demand for a second pressing?  AND wouldn't a second pressing have a matrix number ending in 2, or is that not how these things work?

Final point....I've probably had about a dozen MBADTK CD's over the years.  All had a yellow label.

In short - I can't prove it's a pirate...

Posted: 02 Jun 10, 15:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Guru... thanks very much for your very detailed feedback! For some reason, I knew you would have a lot of info (your nickname, perhaps?) :P

So, it's still non-conclusive.
Here's an additional clue: the back cover/tray print, as requested by Jjeroen.
(Jjeroen: Of course you meant the back sleeve and NOT the tray, duh! hehe)
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/782/thecrossmbadtktray.jpg

The print quality is lost on the scan. It looks MUCH better in real life.

About this: Eventhough I've never had an original MBADTK CD in my hands, the print quality is VERY good. I happen to have a fake French Mr. Bad Guy CD and the print quality on the booklet and the back cover wasn't perfect. On that particular CD I had an extra clue... the matrix number didn't match, so 1+1 = fake.

On this one, it's not that easy.

Thank you all.