Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > 70s BBC pictures - unidentified?

forum rss feed
Author

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18639 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Jun 10, 13:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Since we've been discussing studio pictures, I have a few other pics here that remain unidentified.  They appear to be from a TV shoot, circa 74-75.  It has been said that Queen performed Now I'm Here on Top Of The Pops in early 1975.  Is that what these pictures are from?  Note that there's a drum kit of a band called "Hello" behind the stage..

Attachment: 1032041363502154.jpg 166 KB
This has been downloaded 795 time(s).

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
The Real Wizard

Posted: 04 Jun 10, 13:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Another, from the same video shoot..

Attachment: 10330477502198.jpg 411 KB
This has been downloaded 494 time(s).

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

The Real Wizard

Posted: 04 Jun 10, 13:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And this is an entirely different video shoot.  Any idea where this one is from?

Attachment: 1033041170870172.jpg 92 KB
This has been downloaded 557 time(s).

cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3040 posts

Posted: 04 Jun 10, 13:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nice pics, although I have no idea where they are from!

It's strange to see brian on the opposite side of the stage!

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts

Posted: 04 Jun 10, 13:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The last one is from BBC in 1975/1976 - that's what I think from the B in the box on the camera at the bottom right corner. Can this be from the famous Top Of The Pops performance of Now I"m Here which I read about but never found any evidence it exists ?

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 04 Jun 10, 13:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

think the first one is from oct/nov 74 - Killer Queen promo. Not sure if it was for a european pop programme called "top Pops"

ibut the timeline matched the drumkit for the band HELLO - whon only had two hits - "tell him" and "new york groove"

tell him - nov 74
new york groove - oct 75

therefore it's nov 74 and killer queen promo

go deo na hÉireann
emrabt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1118 posts

Posted: 04 Jun 10, 14:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

blank

GT user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 799 posts

Posted: 04 Jun 10, 16:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This has caused a problem for a long time now.

The first two pics are from 1974 but nobody seems to know where the photos were taken. Myself, Greg Brooks, Jim Jenkins and Ratty can't seem to decide where it is from. I thought it was an unseen 'Killer Queen'....but from where?
It's not the Dutch show 'Top Pop' as it is totally different.

The second is more than likely 'Now I'm Here', either from 'Top Of The Pops' or '45'......but both performances were erased by the TV companies involved. So unless these photos have been captioned and properly archived then a bit more detective work is needed.

Any more ideas?

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 04 Jun 10, 16:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

yes. i'm sticking with my first idea re: Killer Queen and "HELLO - "Tell Him" - the time/dates fit correctly. as regards Top Pop you are right.On the old vhs of that (that i had)  freddie is wearing what looks like a fake fur jacket. also there are more coloured lighting
however, to muddy the waters further (sorry) - found this http://i.ytimg.com/vi/2ZBtPf7FOoM/0.jpg  from a Killer Queen promo - same studio but different clothing for all of the band...weird
and here's the link to the video - think it could be the dutch tv show top pop http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ti2P_z5IPw
another different Killer Queen promo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq4r8XPbTik

and as the original photo uses the same stage layout...maybe it is "now i'm here" on  top pop?

go deo na hÉireann

Posted: 04 Jun 10, 16:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, this version of 'Killer Queen' is from 'Top Of The Pops' and is on all the official Queen video releases.

brians wig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2239 posts

Posted: 04 Jun 10, 17:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've always thought that "Now I'm Here" was taken from the Rainbow concert.
So, is it DEFINATE then that this WAS a proper Top Of The Pops appearance????

brians wig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2239 posts

Posted: 04 Jun 10, 17:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote: The last one is from BBC in 1975/1976 - that's what I think from the B in the box on the camera at the bottom right corner. Can this be from the famous Top Of The Pops performance of Now I"m Here which I read about but never found any evidence it exists ?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes. That's definitely a BBC colour camera!

Posted: 04 Jun 10, 23:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brenski
Your first video is from 'Top Of The Pops'. Your second video is from 'Top Pop'.

Posted: 04 Jun 10, 23:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pittrek
Queen's 'Now I'm Here' appearances on 'Top Of The Pops': 

"Also in January the band make another appearance on 'Top Of The Pops' to pre record a filmed performance of 'Now I'm Here' in the studio. This appearance would be shown on the programme on January 30th and repeated on February 13th. Since then it is still believed that this footage has been erased and forever lost".

The Real Wizard

Posted: 05 Jun 10, 00:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

GT wrote:

"The second is more than likely 'Now I'm Here', either from 'Top Of The Pops' or '45'......but both performances were erased by the TV companies involved."

Right, because the BBC kept taping over their stuff in the 70s, since most people didn't really care to preserve footage back then.  So nobody taped this off TV, because it just wasn't too popular a song (like Seven Seas Of Rhye the previous year) ??

Posted: 05 Jun 10, 00:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And also the general public did not have video recorders then.

Maybe one day it (Now I'm Here) will rear it's head like the three 'Seven Seas Of Rhye' appearances on 'Top Of The Pops'.

Fmarton user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 167 posts

Posted: 05 Jun 10, 01:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Two days ago I corrected  a mistake on Sebastians Mistakes topic. It was about the second picture. This is what I wrote :

"Another little thing that's debatable is the date of the picture with John with the Rickenbacker bass, from the debut album section. This picture is definitely not from 71-72 , but most likely from the Now I'm here Top of the pops appearance.
Here is the link with other pictures from that show.: http://qliverecordings.tripod.com/unknow.html  .
There we can see the drum kit of the band Hello. They released a single called Games Up  in February 75. Now I'm here had it's first chart appearace in late January. So it's the most logical conclusion is that the picture is from Now I'm here TOTP."

Posted: 05 Jun 10, 01:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I originally thought that this pic (with FM in red jacket) was 'Now I'm Here' from 'Top Of The Pops' but Jim Jenkins said it wasn't, and GB thinks he has seen a performance of 'Killer Queen' with FM in this jacket (but has yet to be found).

Planetgurl user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 218 posts

Posted: 05 Jun 10, 04:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

GT wrote: Yes, this version of 'Killer Queen' is from 'Top Of The Pops' and is on all the official Queen video releases.
This was their performance of it from the TOTP Xmas show 1974 I seem to remember...

Planetgurl user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 218 posts

Posted: 05 Jun 10, 04:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

brENsKi wrote: think the first one is from oct/nov 74 - Killer Queen promo. Not sure if it was for a european pop programme called "top Pops"

ibut the timeline matched the drumkit for the band HELLO - whon only had two hits - "tell him" and "new york groove"

tell him - nov 74
new york groove - oct 75

therefore it's nov 74 and killer queen promo
That's my opinion too becos their appearance obviously coincides with the Hello release 'Tell Him'. I've done some research (about a year ago) into this in the past, even writing to Bob (Hello's singer) about this. He says he can't ever remember being on the same show as Queen and that he would reply in more detail later, as he was on tour. I heard nothing so wrote again but although I got another response from someone managing the site, he never did respond.
These were the only two singles that charted in the UK by Hello and Queen's appearance can't coincide with New York Groove release for obvious reasons (Bo Rhap).  Games Up never charted in the UK and therefore wouldn't have been included on TOTP. Which leaves 'Tell Him', in terms of timing.
However, I also think this is a European pop programme but possibly a German one. I say this because of the Hello connection again: they were huge in Germany and even relocated there when singles failed to chart in the UK. Queen were touring in Germany in early December 1974 (4 dates). So could they have done German TV with KQ at this time?
On this short two and a half week tour they also played single dates in other countries (Gothenberg, Helsinki, etc) but I know that Tell Him charted in Germany, so I'm going for that possibility