Forums > Queen collecting and trading > Scandal CD Single (USA)

forum rss feed
Author

p1day1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 3 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Jun 10, 00:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi, 
I have a copy of the Scandal US promo CD single. The CD has 4 tracks: Scandal, Hijack My Heart, My Life Has Been Saved, and Stealin'. The disc itself is in perfect condition, as is the jewel case that came with it (the jewel case is generic, as there are no inserts for this CD). Anybody have an idea on what the value of this particular CD is? I've heard various numbers, but nothing concrete. From what I understand, this was a promo single that was pulled shortly after its release by Capitol Records.

I attached a photo of the disc as well. Any info would be appreciated! Thanks!

Attachment: 1017111317158920.jpg 421 KB
This has been downloaded 62 time(s).

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10071 posts

Posted: 11 Jun 10, 02:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_kw=queen&_kw=scandal&_kw=cd&_dmpt=UK_CDsDVDs_CDs_CDs_GL

Darren1977 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 266 posts

Posted: 11 Jun 10, 03:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Values go up and down, but i paid £70 for mine around 4 years ago. Bargain i thought at the time.

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 14 Jun 10, 05:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pittrek, that's not the one he's talking about.

I'm not aware (until now) of this CD.  I have both the Breakthru promos, but only one Scandal promo... the pink one with one track.  This one must not have been circulated as much as any of the one's I've mentioned.  I'd imagine Darren's assessment would be pretty close, as I've seen the Breakthru one fetch around $40.  This one must be worth twice that.

And why on Earth would Capitol release that CD?  That's all the B-sides... collectors would immediately want it.  Hell, I probably wouldn't have been as eager to get the UK CD Singles if I had these tracks at the time.  Perhaps that's why it was pulled from distribution?

wrak user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 45 posts

Posted: 14 Jun 10, 13:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I bought it for 30 swedish crowns (2 or 3 £) from a used record store over 10 years ago (a bargain indeed. during that period I also fetched the "a taste of another world" cd for the same price. whey!) 

unfortunately I havent got any further info. I'll attach a scan of the cd, in better quality than the TS.

Attachment: 1023141812920741.jpg 76 KB
This has been downloaded 39 time(s).

Panchgani user not visiting Queenzone.com
St Peter's Burnt Piano
Panchgani
Deity: 6373 posts

Posted: 14 Jun 10, 20:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was lucky to stumble upon it when it was released.  I almost did not get it, as it felt like a rip off to buy a CD for only 3 new songs.

Roger: I like it. If you don't. Sod you!

Queen song poll: http://home.comcast.net/~vantricers/index.html

B-52's: I, I, I'm lookin for some fun - waitin for the REAL Queen Box Sets to come

Posted: 14 Jun 10, 20:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for the replies! I'm also curious as to why Capitol Records pulled this CD so quickly after its release.

As far as where I found it, I got lucky and stumbled across it at a flea market here in the US sometime in the early 90s. I bought it because I didn't have the B-sides, nor have I ever heard the songs before. Plus, it was Queen, so it was a no brainer. I got for around $5 bucks (no joke) and after spinning it a few times I put it away until I downloaded the tracks to my computer so I could listen to the tracks with handling the disc.

I've found 2 listings for it online. One person was asking $500 for it and another was asking $800! I asked the guy who was asking $800 how he got to that number and he basically told me that he was setting a price without knowing its true value. In other words, he was guessing. Regardless, it's nice to have such a unique Queen CD, especially for the price I paid for it.

Wiley user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts

Posted: 14 Jun 10, 22:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wish there were flea markets where they sold old records here in Monterrey. I only know of one place and it kinda sucks. Not at all like what I saw when I visited several places in Europe or even the U.S.

I did manage to get a hold of a Mexican Back Chat 12" single (Charlas de Fondo) for less than 10 USD a few years ago, but that's it. For almost everything else I have paid regular "collector's market retail price" :(.

I have found a few bargains on eBay but, basically, once an item is sold cheaply on eBay it means that it is no longer worth what the collector's guide says. I bought a bundle with Brian's Another World Hollywood Records CD + Why don't we try again CD single + Why don't we try again 7" PD + the RETRO ROCK SPECIAL (!) for $25 USD. I have seen the last disc alone sold in more than that.

aston user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 16 Jun 10, 12:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Please note the Scandal 4 tracks cd single is NOT a promo cd but it's a regular release.

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 17 Jun 10, 05:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Really?

I worked in a Record store from 1987-1990 and never saw this CD.  Was it released before or after the release of The Miracle?

Posted: 17 Jun 10, 14:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It was released after.

I've even seen one copy with the regular "scandal" ps.

Posted: 17 Jun 10, 16:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

aston wrote: Please note the Scandal 4 tracks cd single is NOT a promo cd but it's a regular release.
Oh, ok. I was under the impression it was a promo disc. Thanks for the clarification.

mandocello user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 51 posts

Posted: 18 Jun 10, 09:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Are you absolutely sure it's not a promo CD?

I don't ever recall seeing a cover for it - it was always a jewel case with no front insert - just the CD.

Or am I remembering this wrong?

Panchgani user not visiting Queenzone.com
St Peter's Burnt Piano
Panchgani
Deity: 6373 posts

Posted: 18 Jun 10, 21:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I went down to my basement to retrieve this
It is a real release.  It has a cover that shows a photo of the members taken when the "invisible Man" video was made (John has a cowboy hat and Freddie has funky green sun glasses).

The Catalogue number is:

CDP 7 15514 2

I bought it around the summer of 89 from a suburban branch of local Chicago record store chain called "Flip Side" where it was displayed "behind the counter".  I think I paid $5 for it.

Roger: I like it. If you don't. Sod you!

Queen song poll: http://home.comcast.net/~vantricers/index.html

B-52's: I, I, I'm lookin for some fun - waitin for the REAL Queen Box Sets to come
mandocello user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 51 posts

Posted: 19 Jun 10, 20:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That's right, I remember about the cover now!

I was confused the entire time, thinking this was a single released in the UK instead of the USA!

Supposedly it was "withdrawn", but I have a feeling it just sold miserably.

Posted: 17 Jul 10, 08:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mandocello wrote: Are you absolutely sure it's not a promo CD?

I don't ever recall seeing a cover for it - it was always a jewel case with no front insert - just the CD.

Or am I remembering this wrong?

Search on ebay for the following item number

it's a scandal 4 tracks cd with sleeve; it fetched 206 pounds.

Wilki Amieva user not visiting Queenzone.com
We must all HEAR to believe
Wilki Amieva
Royalty: 1418 posts

Posted: 25 Jul 10, 17:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It is indeed a withdrawn commercial release. Most copies where "marked for destruction" and lost their sleeves ...but found owners somewhere in between ...hahaha! I recall some kind of promotion like "get the single free when buying the album on CD" or something like that.

Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts

Posted: 26 Jul 10, 12:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I saw one on ebay one time with a sleeve.  The seller wanted $500 for it. :-S  Wish mine had one.

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4706 posts

Posted: 27 Jul 10, 12:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

hijackED my heart?

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
webby56 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 12 posts

Posted: 01 Oct 10, 23:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, in the USA, all of the CD's that had Hijack My Heart listed them on the cover as "Hijacked My Heart".  The German and UK versions didn't have the song on them.