Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Brian confirms more Queen work

forum rss feed
Author

Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2393 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Jun 10, 08:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In the latest fan club mag Brian confirms as a result of the new record deal Queen (well Queen in some form) will be in the studio and doing live work again at some point, the full details TBC later in the year.

Nothing really new here but nice to see the kettle still on the stove!

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
Vali user not visiting Queenzone.com
Vali
Deity: 2053 posts

Posted: 11 Jun 10, 09:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

hopefully good news, many tks !

Bring out the charge of the love brigade
cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3040 posts

Posted: 11 Jun 10, 10:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I got my mag yesterday and read this with interest too. 

At least he has been a bit more specific than in the past, and actively mentioned that they will be in the studio (although hopes got up for the 46664 stuff and that never appeared!), and also doing live work.  He also mentions work involving computers, which I'm guessing will be something like Guitar Hero or Rock Band?

He didn't mention the multitude of rehashed Hits packages we're bound to get for Universal to make some money though!!!

rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1566 posts

Posted: 11 Jun 10, 10:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm not 100% certain of the specifics, but Hollywood Records distributes through Universal, so I don't see any new output of hits collections being released as a result of a new contract. It could have just been time to renew the contract or one or both parties wanted to make some changes to the existing contract.

Any new work from Brian and Roger, either as Queen or otherwise, is a great thing. I'd love to see an album where they divide lead vocals between themselves. Get Spike Edney and Neil Murray in there and you could have some awesomeness on your hands.

Makka user not visiting Queenzone.com
Makka
Bohemian: 242 posts

Posted: 11 Jun 10, 23:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wish the 3 remaining members only would do some studio work.  No One But You proved they can do it comfortably and I'm not a big fan of them using a different singer.

philip storey user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 521 posts

Posted: 12 Jun 10, 03:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"We Want Some Prime Jive!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Amazon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 996 posts

Posted: 12 Jun 10, 16:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Makka wrote: "I wish the 3 remaining members only would do some studio work. No One But You proved they can do it comfortably and I'm not a big fan of them using a different singer."

I'm with you. I loved No One But You, and IMO the three surviving members are still Queen (Queen IMO ended upon John's retirment not Freddie's death); and I also think that Brian and Roger are terrific vocalists. Especially Brian. I would be more than happy with the three surviving members recording an original album with Roger and (mostly) Brian handling the vocals. It would never happen, but I would be one of the handful of people who would buy the album.

andreas_mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
andreas_mercury
Royalty: 1068 posts

Posted: 12 Jun 10, 19:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

to me you could pick the of the very best guest vocalist and make to a great album, but it will still be a stranger in the family and just won't it doesn't work

it should be to brian and roger doing the singing job

rhyeking

Posted: 12 Jun 10, 19:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Naturally, we all want John to join Brian and Roger in the studio, but it's become pretty clear it's VERY unlikely. The last time he performed with them was 17th of Sept., 1997 and has turned down every offer to perform or record since.

John only knows why he feels he doesn't want to record anymore, as it's seemingly a much smaller commitment than a full tour, but I've come to respect his decision. I just hope he's healthy and happy and enjoying his well-earned millions.

Dim user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 44 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 10, 05:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fingers crossed!!!! Please God make them release a great  album like Made in Heaven

Rework, polish e.t.c. Face it alone, Love Kills, Man On Fire (Freddie vocals), Silver Salmon and it is 100% sure, there are more hidden gems better than these.

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 10, 06:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There are many great unfinished demos which could be turned into great songs, but I'm not sure if I want them :-)
Come on Brian, bring us the rarities boxes, dammit ! :-)

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 10, 07:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dim wrote: Fingers crossed!!!! Please God make them release a great  album like Made in Heaven

Rework, polish e.t.c. Face it alone, Love Kills, Man On Fire (Freddie vocals), Silver Salmon and it is 100% sure, there are more hidden gems better than these.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The press would murder an album of reworked demos and b-sides masquerading as a full Queen album. These were, after all, songs which weren't good enough to make it onto the original albums. I know we wouldn't care that much what the press think, but Brian, Roger and Queen Productions do, so it's unlikely there will be another Made in Heaven type album. The more likely scenario is a complete re-release of the original albums as a 2-CD package. The second CD would feature b-sides, 'lost' tracks and demos. Sadly, I don;t think a fully developed box set of rarities will ever see the light of day because (1) I doubt Queen Productions believe there is an economic case for it and (2) Brian and Roger don't appear to be interested in old Queen material, at least not enough to put together a real archives box set.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4283 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 10, 07:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What's the exact quote?

Benn Kempster user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 194 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 10, 09:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

More sense again from Holly.

My take on it is that John has been as embarassed as the rest of us have been with the ridiculous collaborations with 5ive, Britney Spears and anyone else who wants to grab hold of Queen's coat-tails.  I reckon he simply can't bear what has happened to the Queen brand and the band's reputation.  John, rightly, brought a dignified end to his creative involvement with NOBY and has stuck to his guns since.  More power to him.

rhyeking

Posted: 13 Jun 10, 09:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There's a version of "Man On Fire" with Freddie on vocals? I assume it would be from The Works Sessions, but I've never heard of such a recording before this thread. Have we confirmed its existence, like at a Fan Club Con or something?

Posted: 13 Jun 10, 12:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Holly2003 wrote:

The press would murder an album of reworked demos and b-sides masquerading as a full Queen album. These were, after all, songs which weren't good enough to make it onto the original albums. I know we wouldn't care that much what the press think, but Brian, Roger and Queen Productions do, so it's unlikely there will be another Made in Heaven type album. The more likely scenario is a complete re-release of the original albums as a 2-CD package. The second CD would feature b-sides, 'lost' tracks and demos. Sadly, I don;t think a fully developed box set of rarities will ever see the light of day because (1) I doubt Queen Productions believe there is an economic case for it and (2) Brian and Roger don't appear to be interested in old Queen material, at least not enough to put together a real archives box set.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Some songs were not used in Queen albums due to their style or that they wanted to keep them for the next album or in case that they dry out from inspiration. Also in Made in Heaven some songs did not fit with the concept (LOVE theme).
Not to add that Queen on many cases run out of time, so never finished properly. 

In 1994-95 Made in Heaven was a difficult task, however they managed to create songs from 15 seconds snippets.
Now with Pro-Tools and advanced studio technology, they can create miracles. All they need is a producer.

cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3040 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 10, 14:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dim wrote:

All they need is a producer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Although it would be good to have an outside input, I'd say that they are more than capable of producing themselves, having basically done that themselves from the mid seventies anyway.  Brian and Roger have also produced many other artists of different styles, written and performed soundtracks to film and theatre etc.., and so are well suited to handling any produc tion role 'in house'.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18639 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 10, 14:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dim wrote:

"All they need is a producer."

And the inspiration.  It seems they have no desire to revisit old Queen material.  And why should they?  In 1995 they had a good reason to release a final album of leftovers.  In 2010, they don't.

A boxed set will most likely be the final chapter.  It'll be released when they want to call it a day.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca

Posted: 13 Jun 10, 16:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If they want they can find many good reasons to rework or polish some unreleased gems.

1)Money and Glory, the second no-one in the world ever hated or bored it. An album like Made in Heaven it will sell like hot cakes, public joe knows and remembers Queen with Freddie. With little promo, No1 is 100%

2)Queen when say no -  they do the opposite.....

3)Some songs deserve a better treatment, they have to be finished. Imagine an great demo as bonus. Then next day we will discuss, why they never finished it.

4) So many years we are waiting, many fans sadly passed away.... and if they gives us the unreleased stuff, either as extras or in a box without a prooper album....As fans we don't deserve that.

BETTER REWORK THE GOOD DEMOS - RELEASE A PROOPER ALBUM & THEN GIVE US A BOXSET OR  PUT THE REST DEMOS AS EXTRAS ON THE REISSUES.

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 10, 23:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I want Unreleased Queen stuff as much as the next fan,  but not for another album, and made in heaven part 2 would make them look desperate. How silly would they look releasing made in heaven 2 in 2010/2011?.....but releasing this stuff on a boxset would be brilliant.  A great selling tool IMO. Especially if any of these tracks sound great.   They could release the best one as a single.