Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Queen-related Time Dilation problem

forum rss feed
Author

Saif user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1109 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Jun 10, 05:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is for Science geeks/nerds only. Anyone with a Science or Engineering background should be able to solve this problem.
In the song '39, the Captain goes on a space voyage, travelling at a speed close to the speed of light. He returns 100 years later(Earth time) but has himself aged a year. In light of Einstein's theory of special relativity, what speed was the spaceship travelling at?(Assume the speed of light, c = 3 x 10^8 m/s and express the result in 9 significant digits preferrably upto 1 decimal place)

"only way to really know what the hell we are doing on this earth is through sacred plants and mushrooms." - Treasure Moment
lifetimefanofqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
lifetimefanofqueen
Royalty: 1328 posts

Posted: 15 Jun 10, 06:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

engerering isn't geeky,
Brian and John were good at engenering, and they arn't nerds they are sooooo cool!!!!
anyway I dont know, u lost me at the ''how fast was the ship'' bit,
I am shit at science, especialy maths!!!
im more of an art and english person XD

Posted: 15 Jun 10, 07:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

lifetimefanofqueen wrote: engerering isn't geeky,
Brian and John were good at engenering, and they arn't nerds they are sooooo cool!!!!
anyway I dont know, u lost me at the ''how fast was the ship'' bit,
I am shit at science, especialy maths!!!
im more of an art and english person XD

I meant geeky in a good way. :/ And this is Einsteinian Physics at its simplest, really.
Anyway, I'm sure someone will be able to solve this eventually. ParisNair should be able to do this effortlessly. :D

"only way to really know what the hell we are doing on this earth is through sacred plants and mushrooms." - Treasure Moment
pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10071 posts

Posted: 15 Jun 10, 08:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Easy.
7793787,122931750151448720502313 in meters per hour :-)

Posted: 15 Jun 10, 08:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote: Easy.
7793787,122931750151448720502313 in meters per hour :-)

I know you're joking, but most people will overlook that and think this is the correct answer. So if this figure went under anyone's sarcasm radar, that's not the correct answer. Even in metres per hour(which he used), it's way off.

pittrek

Posted: 15 Jun 10, 08:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, I try to find my old things from school and refresh my memory and try it again :-) It's been quite a long time since school :-) BTW I counted with speed of light being 299 792 458 m / s and not 3*10^8

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4706 posts

Posted: 15 Jun 10, 08:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Saif wrote: This is for Science geeks/nerds only. Anyone with a Science or Engineering background should be able to solve this problem.
In the song '39, the Captain goes on a space voyage, travelling at a speed close to the speed of light. He returns 100 years later(Earth time) but has himself aged a year. In light of Einstein's theory of special relativity, what speed was the spaceship travelling at?(Assume the speed of light, c = 3 x 10^8 m/s and express the result in 9 significant digits preferrably upto 1 decimal place)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can't know that unless you know his itinerary: for example, maybe he stopped for a while to watch attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion? Or to see C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate? Too many variables...

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)

Posted: 15 Jun 10, 08:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote: Yes, I try to find my old things from school and refresh my memory and try it again :-) It's been quite a long time since school :-) BTW I counted with speed of light being 299 792 458 m / s and not 3*10^8
Even if you had taken that value, the answer you gave in metres per hour would have been of the order 10^12, which it isn't. :P
Holly, considering the itinerary can be a benefit or a hazard. If it's a benefit, then it's not my problem. ;)

Major Tom user not visiting Queenzone.com
S.D.M.F
Major Tom
Bohemian: 878 posts

Posted: 15 Jun 10, 10:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

God I love Blade Runner!

It´s better to burn out than to fade away.
GinjaNinja user not visiting Queenzone.com
GinjaNinja
Bohemian: 654 posts

Posted: 15 Jun 10, 10:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He was going very fast, that's all you need to know.

Property Of Queen Productions...

Posted: 15 Jun 10, 11:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You get an F for your apathy.

pittrek

Posted: 15 Jun 10, 11:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

v = c * sqrt (0.99)  ???

Damned, I used to be very good in math 10 years ago at school :-(

Posted: 15 Jun 10, 12:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote: v = c * sqrt (0.99)  ???

Damned, I used to be very good in math 10 years ago at school :-(
Yeah, that's approximately correct. The answer is 299984999.6 m/s, assuming c = 3 x 10^8 m/s. But if you use the value you cited earlier, it would be more accurate. You get a cookie. :D
I was really good in Physics, Math and Chemistry as well. I've made a big career mistake.

lifetimefanofqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
lifetimefanofqueen
Royalty: 1328 posts

Posted: 15 Jun 10, 13:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm still at school
LOL

Wilki Amieva user not visiting Queenzone.com
We must all HEAR to believe
Wilki Amieva
Royalty: 1418 posts

Posted: 15 Jun 10, 15:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That is correct if you assume a constant speed and an instantaneous acceleration. I suppose you used Lorentz transformations.

Posted: 15 Jun 10, 23:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wilki Amieva wrote: That is correct if you assume a constant speed and an instantaneous acceleration. I suppose you used Lorentz transformations.
....OR we could just assume an average speed. :/

Fireplace user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 889 posts

Posted: 16 Jun 10, 06:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Holly2003 wrote:

You can't know that unless you know his itinerary: for example, maybe he stopped for a while to watch attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion? Or to see C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate? Too many variables...

Or did he perhaps stop off at some corner of Alpha Centauri to pick up his copy of The Cosmos Rocks?

magicmatze user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 139 posts

Posted: 16 Jun 10, 07:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Time delation from the special relativity theory works at all speeds. But best speed would be a speed which is very close to the speed of light. The faster you are, the more time you're "travelling into the future".
Most important matter is, that speed has to be constant (acceleration=0).
If you want to know more read the wiki-article about the "Twin-Paradox" or similiar articles on the net.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_paradox

By the way, this is also a problem in GPS-navigation, with a satellite-speed of 4000 m/s, but this has just a very small inflence.

Posted: 16 Jun 10, 08:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

magicmatze wrote: Time delation from the special relativity theory works at all speeds. But best speed would be a speed which is very close to the speed of light. The faster you are, the more time you're "travelling into the future".
Most important matter is, that speed has to be constant (acceleration=0).

Yeah, there would be no need for further acceleration once it reached the requisite speed(inertia of motion). But I think Wilki mentioned instantaneous acceleration in order to account for any curvilinear direction changes because instantaneous acceleration is present even when there is no change of magnitude(vector algebra). We can minimize it by assuming the only direction change is while reversing the space ship's path(to return to Earth).

Wilki Amieva user not visiting Queenzone.com
We must all HEAR to believe
Wilki Amieva
Royalty: 1418 posts

Posted: 16 Jun 10, 11:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Exactly.