Forums > Personal > Americans want to bomb oil leak

forum rss feed
Author

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4706 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Jun 10, 16:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/science_and_environment/10318188.stm

Bomb some sense into it.


"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
lifetimefanofqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
lifetimefanofqueen
Royalty: 1328 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Jun 10, 16:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That is one hell of a mess the americans have got in to with the oil pipe,
I feel sorry for the wild life that are being killed and their habitats damaged byond repair,
but i do not think bombing it will help at all,
infact I think it will only make the matter evern worse than it already is.
but then again I dont realy know what to do with this,
I'm glad I'm not Obama who hase to make all of the hard decisions.
But I do hope it gets sorted soon and never happens again,
The guy who started this Forum is probably American and I know I am just English and this is probably none of my buisness but I hope it gets sorted soon.
--hugs--

GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Jun 10, 13:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, we Americans should have never let BRITISH PETROLEUM drill.   What the hell are you talking about, lifetimefanofQueen?

This isn't just going to affect America.  This will be the greatest disaster of all time (to date).   Thousands of people will be unemployed for a long time.  Some experts think this will seriously affect the seafood industry as well.  They'll probably be some additions to the Endangered Species list.

And the idea of the Nuke did NOT come from America.  It came from Russia.

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Jun 10, 13:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A few overweight Americans might do the trick.


John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Jun 10, 14:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's certainly true that BRITISH PETROLEUM [sic] is mostly taking it on the chin all by itself, but the situation in truth is much muddier than that.  Key parts of the operation were subcontracted to American based outfits and Americans are heavily invested in the company, which was operating in the Gulf largely to supply the US market. Also, much of the response logistics have been American managed.  Much better to manage this as a shared problem, even a global one.  All involved corporations and the people in them have both business and human interest in seeing this solved.  Finger pointing wastes time and offloading all the responsibility on to BP squanders the potential power of the American motivation to impact the solution for a problem that is most directly affecting them.   America is good at many things, and one of them is innovation. Hanging back barking at BP is useless, and having Obama out playing badass isn't going to help anything either.  His speech last night was rather absurd, with all the jingoistic  military type speak when talking about this terrible situation.  As someone pointed out, all that was missing was "Either you're with this oil spill, or you're against it".

lifetimefanofqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
lifetimefanofqueen
Royalty: 1328 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Jun 10, 14:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

sorry microwave, I'm only 13 and dont hear this that much on our news because I dont watch it much or don't pay attention.
Anyway, DONT TRY TO LAY THE BLAME ON MY COUNTRY, QUEEN WERE FROM ENGLAND, REMEMBER,
not being nasty or anything. just backing my country.

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4706 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Jun 10, 15:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Micrówave wrote: Yes, we Americans should have never let BRITISH PETROLEUM drill.   What the hell are you talking about, lifetimefanofQueen?

This isn't just going to affect America.  This will be the greatest disaster of all time (to date).   Thousands of people will be unemployed for a long time.  Some experts think this will seriously affect the seafood industry as well.  They'll probably be some additions to the Endangered Species list.

And the idea of the Nuke did NOT come from America.  It came from Russia.
 =====================================================================

They are not British Petroleum, they are BP. They changed their name to reflect their multinational status: apparently half their directors are American. However, it's easier for Americans to see them as foreign because all the blame can then be laid on pesky foreigners with their funny ways. Now if only it were good old boys from Texas or Alabama etc on that oil rig, then it would never have happened...hang on a minute, it WAS an America oil rig with an American crew. And the main reason they were drilling in such difficult circumstances is that Americans are so greedy for cheap gas.

So lay off the 'goddamn Brits' or maybe we'll send over some Spitfires to strafe some of your u-boat bases and k-marts.


"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Jun 10, 15:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Double post...

GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Jun 10, 16:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It does make me laugh a little that BP so cheerlfully brands this shot:

http://www.bp.com/liveassets/bp_internet/globalbp/globalbp_uk_english/homepage/STAGING/local_assets/bp_homepage/html/rov_stream.html

That's kind of funny, right?  If you forget about all the bad stuff for a minute?

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Jun 10, 05:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Actually, it is still technically a British company.  Headquarters are still in jolly ol' Britain.  The CEO is British.  Just because they have expanded and employ people all over the world, doesn't mean their no longer British.  That's like saying Nike is a Chinese corporation because that's where they make all their shoes.

The oil rig was registered from the Marshall Islands, where we blew up 67 atomic bombs. and wiped the island of Elugelab in the Enewetak atoll off the face of the earth.  Perhaps they're paying us back?

But the bottom line here is no ONE country is to blame.  The US (I think) is just as responsible for this happening.  Regulations are a joke and nothing is being done about it.  If you heard Obama's speech last night, he had nothing.  Said the same things the last 8 presidents said about our dependence on foreign oil.  Didn't specify any kind of plan, but he did say we should pray for guidance. 

Hate to say it, but the Saudis (and other Arab Nations) don't seem to have this trouble with oil.  I've never heard about oil spills in the Red Sea.  Give me $4/gallon of gas instead of the world's largest oil spill.  Sure, it would put a strain on my life, but nothing compared to the tens of thousands of people who will lose their jobs because of this.

Donna13 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1683 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Jun 10, 06:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The thread title is wrong, isn't it?  But Holly probably didn't even read the article.  Ha.  Now that is very lazy.  Or he read it and wanted to be dishonest.  I vote him off this island.   Holly, please bring us your torch.

So, here we are in the worst environmental crisis ever, caused by the decisions of people who had better things to do than make safety and the environment their top priority.  Oil rig workers have been killed in the worst way to die, probably, and birds and turtles are being suffocated by oil, something that they have no idea how to cope with, except for trying to escape into the marsh where they feel safe - so that they can die a painful death.  And the head of BP is ordering the making of commercials and using a film crew to communicate that BP is a good company and we should all have faith in them.  President Obama is just playing politics while dealing with this problem (talking tough, as if that will help the situation, which of course it will not).  I'm not saying that both men are not trying to solve the problem, but when you see the whole picture, you also realize that both will have to share the blame.  When you are at the top, you are responsible.  That's how it works.

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4706 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Jun 10, 07:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Donna13 wrote: The thread title is wrong, isn't it?  But Holly probably didn't even read the article.  Ha.  Now that is very lazy.  Or he read it and wanted to be dishonest.  I vote him off this island.   Holly, please bring us your torch.

Franz Gayl, a former US military scientist etc wants to use a fuel-air bomb to stop the oil leak. What did I get wrong? I'll concede maybe 'an American' instead of 'Americans' might've been more accurate, but not as funny. And since it wasn't very funny to start off with, thanks for sucking all the life out of this :p


"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
Donna13 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1683 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Jun 10, 07:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You're welcome.

«¤~Mrš. BÃD GÛŸ~¤» user not visiting Queenzone.com
«¤~Mrš. BÃD GÛŸ~¤»
Bohemian: 479 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Jun 10, 18:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

We should be thanking all the thousands of volunteers who have spent endless hours and time to help clean up the shores and save the animals and sea life during this terrible never ending disaster.


¥~Ït’š iñ thë LåÞ øf thè Gódš~¥
GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Jun 10, 22:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A highly speculative and pessemistic view from a presumably knowledgable someone commenting on an energy site.  Longish read, but I found it interesting and it helped  me understand the structural challenges to a much greater degree. If nothing else, having read this will make whatever actually happens seem much better in comparison.

http://www.theoildrum.com/node/6593/648967

GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Jun 10, 22:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Donna13 wrote:

So, here we are in the worst environmental crisis ever, caused by the decisions of people who had better things to do than make safety and the environment their top priority.  Oil rig workers have been killed in the worst way to die, probably, and birds and turtles are being suffocated by oil, something that they have no idea how to cope with, except for trying to escape into the marsh where they feel safe - so that they can die a painful death.  And the head of BP is ordering the making of commercials and using a film crew to communicate that BP is a good company and we should all have faith in them.  President Obama is just playing politics while dealing with this problem (talking tough, as if that will help the situation, which of course it will not).  I'm not saying that both men are not trying to solve the problem, but when you see the whole picture, you also realize that both will have to share the blame.  When you are at the top, you are responsible.  That's how it works.

===========================================

The making of the commercials may seem like cynical self interest and manipulation but it's not really in anyone's interest to beat the company into insolvency unfairly.  That potentially harms people due compensation, harms the many, many regular people on both sides of the pond whose managed pension funds are heavily invested in BP and potentily further concentrates energy resources and power in the hands of a few mutinationals if they are bought up in pieces.  Responsibility yes, demonization no.  They can and should contribute to a balanced view in the current political climate.

Brandon The Great user not visiting Queenzone.com
Brandon The Great
Rocker: 27 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Jun 10, 00:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Holly2003 wrote: Micrówave wrote: Yes, we Americans should have never let BRITISH PETROLEUM drill.   What the hell are you talking about, lifetimefanofQueen?

This isn't just going to affect America.  This will be the greatest disaster of all time (to date).   Thousands of people will be unemployed for a long time.  Some experts think this will seriously affect the seafood industry as well.  They'll probably be some additions to the Endangered Species list.

And the idea of the Nuke did NOT come from America.  It came from Russia.
 =====================================================================

They are not British Petroleum, they are BP. They changed their name to reflect their multinational status: apparently half their directors are American. However, it's easier for Americans to see them as foreign because all the blame can then be laid on pesky foreigners with their funny ways. Now if only it were good old boys from Texas or Alabama etc on that oil rig, then it would never have happened...hang on a minute, it WAS an America oil rig with an American crew. And the main reason they were drilling in such difficult circumstances is that Americans are so greedy for cheap gas.

So lay off the 'goddamn Brits' or maybe we'll send over some Spitfires to strafe some of your u-boat bases and k-marts.

Holly, if there were Alabamians "on board" the platform, there would have been no explosion!  You know, they'd all be so intent on getting home safely to their cousins-wives, they'd have been certain no accidents happened.  Also, this is the SOUTH, so you can have all of the K-Marts you want; there are five Wal-Marts waiting to replace them! ;-)

And besides, it's become appallingly obvious the American government (you must be more selective about word choice: most Americans do not support "their" government's actions) has taken a shoot first, worry about repercussions later stance in all things, yes?

By the way, are you in HI still?

JoxerTheDeityPirate user not visiting Queenzone.com
JoxerTheDeityPirate
Deity: 6272 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Jun 10, 03:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

can someone please tell the americans that BP has not been BRITISH PETROLEUM for 13 years now.it is 2/3rds owned by americans,its employees are 2/3rds americans and has hardly anything BRITISH in it [apart from that god awful PR bloke]
and before the US starts jumping up and down about oil disasters how about they look at all the ones they caused over the years like Bhupal before they start accusing other countries of enviromental damage! dont see the US paying India compensation any time soon for that one!!


isnt innuendo an italian suppository?

im gonna ride the wild wind!

its_a_hard_life wrote:you nutcase you rule!

joxer replies: but in a nice way :-]

Donna13 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1683 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Jun 10, 07:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think all the details will eventually come out and then people can make up their own minds about who was to blame.  Specifics like ignored safety violations, fines, and emails with the key decisions in them.  That sort of detail will make everything clear.  Regardless of how many Americans were in the company, the directives always come from the top in a big company.  Tony Hayward has only been CEO since 2007.  And he says he has been focused on safety, but then he claims to not understand drilling technology.  That is so bogus.  Three years would be plenty of time to learn lots of details and to also be aware of the safety violations.  BP's safety violations were sky high compared to other oil companies.  So, it was definitely "allowed" at that company.  It was part of the culture, and maybe something that Hayward was working on changing but hadn't made enough progress on yet.  For example, it has been many weeks now and still nobody has been fired.  It doesn't take that long to look through a few emails.  That company is a hazard to the world under its current leadership and its employees.  It might be a blessing if they were bought off and sold off using the remaining funds to pay for this cleanup.  Why want such a badly run and dangerous company to continue?  For the benefit of the stockholders?   They should have known to diversify.  I think the best line of the day (that I saw on the news) during Hayward's appearance before Congress was when he said, "We drill hundreds of wells a year" and a Congressman said, "That's what I'm worried about!"  (sic)