Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > NEW 'Queen Live: A Concert Documentary' book - New Edition.

forum rss feed
Author

GT user is on Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 799 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Jun 10, 04:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi fellow Queenzoners.
Here is the information and a request about the third edition of the Queen Live book 'A Concert Documentary'.
Hoping you can help with this.

Queen Live: A Concert Documentary by Greg Brooks and Gary Taylor.

In 2011 a completely revised third edition of the book 'Queen Live: A Concert Documentary' will be issued. The book is the work of Greg Brooks, as you know, but this time with the help of Queen expert Gary Taylor. We have been working together on every aspect of the book, and I have contributed some stuff that did not appear before. With GB's blessing I have covered quite a bit of new ground, and also researched certain things that GB wanted to include in the first edition but couldn't, because the info wasn't available or reliable enough then.

This new work is a VERY different edition to everything that's gone before. Anything in error has been corrected, lots of changes, news photos and memorabilia, has lots of new data - generally much information added to make this the most comprehensive and complete story of Queen in the live domain ever published. From the clubs in 1970 to the last ever concert with Freddie at Knebworth Park in 1986, this new edition will include more information than ever before.

More set lists have been added and the Queen archive has been scrutinised to detail not only the band's on-stage banter at certain points of the show, but also to differentiate what was said and played at multiple nights at the same venue, like the Rainbow in 1974, Paris in 1979 and Rio in 1985.

For a band that spent a lot of time and effort to dress for the occasion and make their shows the most spectacular, for the first time details of the band's, especially Freddie's, stage costumes have been gathered as well as information on their stage production and lighting rigs.
In addition to the original book, we will add more memorabilia, singles, albums, posters, concert nostalgia, and video releases, reviews, support bands, TV appearances and Documentaries, musical equipment used and a complete Live discography have also been included in detail as well as more quotes from band members and people who were around at the time. Also detailed are what shows have been bootlegged over the years, not just on audio, but filmed on video from audience members who were lucky enough to be present at a particular concert, who also had the foresight to smuggle in their 8mm camera in order to capture rare footage for the rest of us to enjoy.

So that leaves us with some help from you guys. We are looking to include in this new and much expanded edition as many photos of the band on stage that you (the fans) have taken over the years. Or you can include photos of yourselves backstage with a band member. It can be the whole group or an individual photo taken at any concert from throughout their career. We would like any detail you can remember too, the venue, date, correct year etc and we will give your photo and name a credit in the book.

We have seen many photos over the years from various websites especially, but would really like you to come forward and donate anything you have rather than us include a photo without a credit or have to chase around asking for permission to use a particular photo.

You can send any comments and photos to garytaylortqy@aol.com

brians wig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2239 posts

Posted: 25 Jun 10, 06:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brilliant.
This sounds like what Greg wanted all those years ago but didn't quite succeed in doing.

I'll send you through some (reasonable sized) thumbnails of some unreleased live 70's photos that I have in my collection (like sheffield 1974), and if you want to use any of them I'd be happy with a co-sharing credit with the guy who originally took them and who parted with said originals many years ago...

cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3040 posts

Posted: 25 Jun 10, 06:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi

You state that the book covers everything up to Knebworth 86, but then ask for any pics we may have covering their "entire career".

Can you clarify if you want ONLY photos up to 1986, or can pics that feature only Brian, John, and/or Roger be included that were taken after 86, such as at solo shows, or at the Q+PR shows?

In addition, if you only want pics up to '86, can these still include guest appearances (such as Brian with Def Leppard) or must they be at Queen shows/events only??

Cheers

Posted: 25 Jun 10, 07:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you brianswig and cmsdrums.

You state that the book covers everything up to Knebworth 86, but then ask for any pics we may have covering their "entire career".
Can you clarify if you want ONLY photos up to 1986, or can pics that feature only Brian, John, and/or Roger be included that were taken after 86, such as at solo shows, or at the Q+PR shows?
In addition, if you only want pics up to '86, can these still include guest appearances (such as Brian with Def Leppard) or must they be at Queen shows/events only??
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By their entire career I meant in their touring life, although we do include the FM tribute gig in the book too.
So yes only up to 1986 with Queen only. There won't be any guest appearances mentioned and there wont be any solo live shows or QPR covered.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18639 posts

Posted: 25 Jun 10, 09:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Can't wait to count the errors like last time.  I'll also include a tally for things plagiarized off the internet.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1566 posts

Posted: 25 Jun 10, 09:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've got the 1st edition. Can I send it in for a free "upgrade" to the new edition?

Posted: 25 Jun 10, 12:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There is hardly anything plagiarized from the internet. Practically every show has been listened to in it's entirety for words spoken and songs played. The costumes and stage show productions are all based on looking at photos and videos and my own knowledge, as well as talking to people who were there at the time. A labour of love for nearly two years now.
Hopefully all errors have been corrected too....lol.

The Real Wizard

Posted: 25 Jun 10, 12:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

GT wrote:

"Practically every show has been listened to"

So they *did* record every show, from about 1974 onwards?  Are we talking about 500, 600 raw mono soundboard recordings here?

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

Benn Kempster user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 194 posts

Posted: 25 Jun 10, 13:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH, re:

>>So they *did* record every show, from about 1974 onwards?

Ha ha - so, either Greggy-weggy has been lying to us in his oft-trotted out spiel regarding the lack of material in the archive, or they've simply had a good session of downloading from QZ and transcribed stuff straight from bootlegs.

Either way, the book will be yet another standard QPL re-hash of material we all have access to.  I reckon they'll sell, what, 85 copies at something like £15.00 a pop?

Marknow user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hello
Marknow
Deity: 2878 posts

Posted: 25 Jun 10, 13:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Best of luck compiling the book. I'm sure the pressure must be on both of you to get it right, and avoid the assembling  firing squad. Sounds like a real labour of love, something really nice to look forward to.

As long as you list Slane '86 as Meath, not Dublin, then you won't hear any complaints from me!

Arse.

Posted: 25 Jun 10, 14:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lol...yes Marknow things like that have been corrected.
We really don't mind getting complaints and abuse from people who might not like the idea of a third edition or another re hash of a Queen project. I personally like all comments and welcome feedback from anyone who has an opinion.....good or bad.

The listening of tapes does not mean there is any more than what you already know about in the archive. I have been a collector of their bootlegs since I first got into them in 1975. Thankfully over the years and with use of  the internet more shows have come to light and can now be shared and heard by everyone who is interested in their live work.

The Real Wizard

Posted: 25 Jun 10, 15:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

GT wrote:

"I have been a collector of their bootlegs since I first got into them in 1975. Thankfully over the years and with use of  the internet more shows have come to light and can now be shared and heard by everyone who is interested in their live work."

Do you have any recordings you could contribute to the announce section here at Queenzone?  Sometimes old tapes are the best kind.  After downloading plenty of shows, perhaps you could give something back..? :-)

Queenrockyou user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queenrockyou
Deity: 2013 posts

Posted: 25 Jun 10, 16:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello Gary & Greg.

1/ Good luck for the book. I'll support any idea of compiling information about Queen, and will buy one to show my support. Let's hope you'll prepare something nice eventually, I can't wait to see your progress on the 3rd edition. It's always good to see that sort of things done, and improved. Everyone has the right to make errors, but everyone can improve something that sounds like a real nice thing. Let's see !

2/ Can't help with photographs, but I try regularly to help Martin on queenconcerts.com with information about old unknown shows, or unsure dates. So I know we can still try and find some information fron the early days, the most interesting ones I guess. I'm sure you can find helpful information here and there, never stop working on that, and I'll be ready to buy a fourth edition if needed.

3/ I second Bob's request. If there is something we don't have here on Queenzone, we'd be happy at least to know what shows / recordings you talk about, and we would be happy to get that from you, a serious collector with a large knowledge about Queen live. Should be a good way to "promote" the book here on Queenzone. But it's up to you !

Regards,

Olivier,
Belgium.

wanna trade ?
Yamaguchi user not visiting Queenzone.com
Rock'n Roll Superman
Yamaguchi
Bohemian: 104 posts

Posted: 25 Jun 10, 20:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Will it be sold in Japan?
I hope

The Greatest Rock'n Roll Hearted Man.
poppo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 58 posts

Posted: 26 Jun 10, 11:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Is there going to be an epub version?

Posted: 26 Jun 10, 14:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

3/ I second Bob's request. If there is something we don't have here on Queenzone, we'd be happy at least to know what shows / recordings you talk about, and we would be happy to get that from you, a serious collector with a large knowledge about Queen live. Should be a good way to "promote" the book here on Queenzone. But it's up to you !

Sorry but all the tapes I got from that time are now readily available in better quality. Remember with tapes they used to wear - the tape would stretch and the sound would speed up or down. The first tape I made (well it was my sister really) was a recording on my Dad's tape machine with the mic as close to the mono TV's speaker - that was the Hammersmith Odeon gig in 1975. After I got in touch with likeminded fans and we swapped and traded pictures in magazines and 7" singles for other live tapes etc.

The Real Wizard

Posted: 26 Jun 10, 23:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for the response, GT.  I sent you a private message.  Hope to hear from you, either through here or by email.

brians wig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2239 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 10, 10:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote: Thanks for the response, GT.  I sent you a private message.  Hope to hear from you, either through here or by email.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How come the PM service works for you?
It hasn't worked for me for nigh on 6 months and it's blinkin annoying :(

Marknow user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hello
Marknow
Deity: 2878 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 10, 11:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@ brians wig

If you go to your messages, select the send message tab, and manually enter the name of the person you want to mail, then it should work. That's how I was able to pm you too. Takes a couple of days though, I think.

Arse.

The Real Wizard

Posted: 28 Jun 10, 10:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sometimes messages don't send, though.  Be sure to copy your message to your clipboard and be ready to paste it in again if it doesn't say "message sent" after you try to send it.