Forums > Personal > Best & Worst Love Songs

forum rss feed
Author

GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Jul 10, 23:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amazon mentioned Heart's 'Alone' in the listening thread and it got me thinking about love songs. What are your best and your cheesiest worst? Include a link or an embed if you'd like us to swoon or vomit along with you.

This is one of my absolute favourites.  I love the way it sounds, I love The __________ , and I love what it says.

And then there's this horrible sounding hot mess of mozarella stuffed brie rolled in roquefort bits.

Dan C. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Dan C.
Royalty: 1544 posts

Posted: 28 Jul 10, 00:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Let's see... I'll have to say that this is my all-time favorite non-Queen love song. It's perfect in every way, as far as I'm concerned:

And this is the cheesiest cheesefest I can think of at the moment. I can't listen to it all the way through... it makes me want to gag:

"The tri-tone is the Devil's interval, and he demands resolution." - Richard Lloyd
Dan C.

Posted: 28 Jul 10, 00:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oops! Double post! Sorry.

"The tri-tone is the Devil's interval, and he demands resolution." - Richard Lloyd
GratefulFan

Posted: 28 Jul 10, 10:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

See now I wish people would post videos all the time! I had never heard of Matthew Sweet and now I have.  And I love that your best love song sounds nothing like what most people think of as love songs. Very cool.

A serious poster from the comments on the Aerosmith above: "If love was a playlist, this song would be the first to play" Ah ha haahaha!

Today's favourite, which actually makes it into my overall favourite songs of any genre is John Hiatt's 'Feels Like Rain'.  Hiatt is an exceptional artist who like people like Warren Zevon manages to fly just under the radar for the most part.  The song is set in New Orleans - a city the writers of love songs often seem to tap to evoke something particular about love and passion it seems to me.

This triumph of curd starts off so very bad that it actually gets good, and then he starts talking about seed and it's at that point that I just get pale and the illusion that it's actually so bad it's good crumbles completely.  The abortion part has to be some of the funniest stuff ever cut to vinyl.

Dan C.

Posted: 28 Jul 10, 14:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

GratefulFan wrote: See now I wish people would post videos all the time! I had never heard of Matthew Sweet and now I have.  And I love that your best love song sounds nothing like what most people think of as love songs. Very cool.

A serious poster from the comments on the Aerosmith above: "If love was a playlist, this song would be the first to play" Ah ha haahaha!

Today's favourite, which actually makes it into my overall favourite songs of any genre is John Hiatt's 'Feels Like Rain'.  Hiatt is an exceptional artist who like people like Warren Zevon manages to fly just under the radar for the most part.  The song is set in New Orleans - a city the writers of love songs often seem to tap to evoke something particular about love and passion it seems to me.

This triumph of curd starts off so very bad that it actually gets good, and then he starts talking about seed and it's at that point that I just get pale and the illusion that it's actually so bad it's good crumbles completely.  The abortion part has to be some of the funniest stuff ever cut to vinyl.

================================================

I love John Hiatt. It seems that most of the music I listen to is stuff by people that should be a household name, but for whatever fail to catch on. On my YouTube channel, I have an episode of an old VH1 show called "Duets" that features both Matthew Sweet and John Hiatt. It's totally awesome! Here's part one:

Also; I wish people would pick up on Warren Zevon. In my opinion, he was one of the backbones of the California sound of the '70s. Just a phenomenal musician...

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts

Posted: 28 Jul 10, 15:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Late For the Sky, by Jackson Brown. Beautiful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evb_tl4lcUk

No More I Love Yous, by Annie Lennox

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrtcMMNxUG8

Changes, by Black Sabbath

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otSXkJWeSFo

Barry Manilow - Could It Be Magic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xBG_d-_6bc

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 29 Jul 10, 01:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Anything from the lovely Carole King....."will you still love me tomorrow"   And the one and only "love of my life"  are two that i love.   Ones i hate?.....I would have to think about that.

GratefulFan

Posted: 29 Jul 10, 01:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Great posts, all of you guys.

I watched all four parts of that Hiatt/Sweet show on your channel Dan C.  Thanks so much for bringing it to my attention!  It was super.  Loved watching two excellent musicians just doing their thing, working it out backstage on the fly. Absolute pros.  All the tunes sounded great, and the little surprise Ramones jam at the end was awesome. :)   The people that have covered guys like John Hiatt and Warren Zevon show what epic songwriters they are/were.  Hey, if you had to recommend one or possibly two Matthew Sweet albums, which would they be? 

I pulled up the lyrics while I listened to most of the songs on this thread, and that was a mistake as far as that Jackson Browne one went in that it literally made me cry. Which was a slightly disconcerting thing to do at the end of the day at work. That song stayed with me for a couple of hours.  I noticed in the comments that it was in 'Taxi Driver', which I've seen at least 3 times, though it's been a long time.  I don't remember it, and can't imagine not remembering it, because I love that movie and I Iove Jackson Browne.  Huh. I thought of Peter Gabriel's 'Blood of Eden', which has the poetry of 'Late for the Sky'and the gloom of 'Changes', though it's darker than both. 

There's an interesting connection with Warren Zevon and Jackson Browne.  In the early 70's Warren had become disillusioned with struggling fruitlessly in Hollywood trying to build a music career.  He fled far away, and lived for a time in Spain with his wife where he played, in his words,  "country and western music in an Irish bar". In his absence, Jackson Browne twisted a few arms and called in a few favours and secured financing for Warren's first album. He sent Warren a post card and told him to come home.  He did, Jackson produced the album, and the rest is history.

For some reason that clip of 'No More I Love Yous' is blocked in Canada. That's been happening with a bunch of Sony stuff lately. Annoying.

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 29 Jul 10, 03:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love it how many always mention Every Breath You Take by The Police as one of their favourite love songs. I guess it depends of how you interpret the word 'love'.

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

tcc user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1581 posts

Posted: 29 Jul 10, 03:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Off-topic but the song "Every Breath You Take" by The Police reminds me of the ferry service between my country and an island in our neighbouring country.  The ferry service always play this song when the vessel reaches the destination and the passengers are to disembark to clear immigration.

The name of the band and the words "I'll be watching you" always make me laugh.

andreas_mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
andreas_mercury
Royalty: 1068 posts

Posted: 29 Jul 10, 04:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i think for fast love song, "got my mind set on you" cover to george harrison.   great

GratefulFan

Posted: 29 Jul 10, 13:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rick wrote: I love it how many always mention Every Breath You Take by The Police as one of their favourite love songs. I guess it depends of how you interpret the word 'love'.
============================

This prompted a little bittersweet smile.  I was one of those questionable people who shared this song with someone as 'our song', as our love song. I don't even remember why, or at what point along the way it happened. I was still a teenager over those years, and he was four years older than me; both of us too young or too in love at the time to appreciate the lyrics for what they were.  I got him a pure white kitten one time after a fight, and we called her 'Syncronicity' or just Sync or Syncie for short after the album. Tragically, he was killed in a terrible car accident on Thanksgiving Day in 1984.  As one might expect, the song and it's lyrics hit another level and I know in a way it prolonged letting go and prolonged the desperate psychological and emotional searching for him because it felt like he was still there, watching me.  It prolonged it, but it was comfort too.  I still think about him at least once a week or so, just a quick thought that acknowledges his life and his loss and that he was loved and important to many people.

So, today, in memory of an old, good friend my favourite love song is that one that shouldn't even be a love song, but somehow, it was.

Mr Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
Mr Mercury
Deity: 4632 posts

Posted: 29 Jul 10, 18:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I suppose this is a love song in its own way. Maybe about lost love. I like this anyway

Heres one I dont like

"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
KillerQueen840 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4081 posts

Posted: 29 Jul 10, 18:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm personally a fan of Poison's "Talk Dirty to Me."

I don't think that's a love song by most people's standards but it works for me, haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rKHeN69r_M&feature=avmsc2

"The walls we build around us to keep sadness out also keep out the joy."

(Jim Rohn)
Dan C.

Posted: 29 Jul 10, 22:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

GratefulFan wrote: Great posts, all of you guys.

I watched all four parts of that Hiatt/Sweet show on your channel Dan C.  Thanks so much for bringing it to my attention!  It was super.  Loved watching two excellent musicians just doing their thing, working it out backstage on the fly. Absolute pros.  All the tunes sounded great, and the little surprise Ramones jam at the end was awesome. :)   The people that have covered guys like John Hiatt and Warren Zevon show what epic songwriters they are/were.  Hey, if you had to recommend one or possibly two Matthew Sweet albums, which would they be?

===================================================

Well, since you dug "Sick of Myself" I'd suggest "100%Fun" for sure. It's full of great stuff. However, 2008's "Sunshine Lies" is perhaps my favorite record he's done to date. And if you get it on iTunes, there are six bonus tracks! can't go wrong!

On topic, here is another favorite of mine:

I can listen to that song over and over and it never loses an ounce of it's charm.

And here's one I absolutely detest:

However, as a rule, I pretty much hate anything Diane Warren writes ("I Don't Want To Miss a Thing"? Totally hers).

Mr Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
Mr Mercury
Deity: 4632 posts

Posted: 30 Jul 10, 06:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dan, you dont half like some pretty cool stuff. From the Matthew Sweet & Susanna Hoffs covers album (which I still play all thanks to you!!) to Tommy James and the Shondells. All good songs.

That Celine Dion one does rather get on yer nerves from the start though......

:)

"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
pittrek user is on Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts

GratefulFan

Posted: 30 Jul 10, 16:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

All these people I've never heard of. I look up Leon Russell and the guy has worked with everybody, has cut about 5000 albums and he wrote 'Superstar'. Cool.

Due to the volume of useless music trivia I cart around in my head I can tell you that Poison's 'Talk Dirty to Me' was actually composed prior to the band forming, by C.C. Deville. I always found Bret Michaels to be unintentionally hilarious, but I've grown to kinda sorta grudgingly respect him for simply surviving in a tough business. Not surviving with a huge abundance of class mind you, but surviving nonetheless.

Thanks for the recommendations Dan C. I'm definintely going to follow up on that. And yessssss to Crimson and Clover. Great pick. As well as being awesome all on it's own, that song was used to such perfect effect in the film 'The Zodiac'.

It's not widely known, but the United States actually *had* to take Celine Dion and keep her as part of fine tuning the last Free Trade agreement with Canada. In exchange, we agreed to let the US pillage our oil fields and continue to think that Kiefer Sutherland is American. So worth it.

This might be a little countrified for some, but I love the sound of this band, who sometimes sound like this and sometimes sounds different.  Hope that helps. ;) This song is one of those that’s subtle enough to be about a lot of things to a lot of people.  That’s part of the genius of good song writing.   To me it is about unresolved, unspoken things that tie us to people even when they've drifted out of our lives, and about regret and trying to make things right.

And this.  All I can say is the first rule of getting pregnant by a stranger is don’t do it with a guy who apparently doesn’t have the wherewithal to have a) a car or  b) a coat.  The second rule is you should pay for the room.  Finally, don’t write a song about it because you’ll sound really stupid. Everybody has disabled embedding because they know people are just taking it away and laughing at it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-Nw4NOXWs4>

pittrek user is on Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts

Posted: 31 Jul 10, 03:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

OK, now serious,

What about this one ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMmTn0IOwH4&feature=avmsc2

And these are in my humble oppinion the 2 BEST love songs EVER

GratefulFan

Posted: 31 Jul 10, 13:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm so glad you thought of R.E.M. Pittrek.  Michael Stipe is just so...cool.  Weird, but cool.   I have no bad song today, as yesterday's emotional violence set to romance music was bad enough for two days.  But you made me think of this incomparable performance by R.E.M.  Simple, beautiful lyrics which are so perfect for this message, when all you have at best is some vague intellectual sense that someday you'll be OK again, but the gap between here and there emotionally feels impossibly vast.