Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > album reissues with Universal confirmed on the 40th Anniversary

forum rss feed
Author

Vali user not visiting Queenzone.com
Vali
Deity: 2053 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Aug 10, 04:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I already commented this on another thread but I think it deserves it´s own space
It all started here on saturday:

http://www.queenonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=782

so, what do you tink ?

Will they do it well this time ? Will we be getting something "new" at last?

I still want to keep some hope... otherwhise it´ll be a MAJOR LETDOWN.

Bring out the charge of the love brigade
Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4706 posts

Posted: 09 Aug 10, 05:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think for many older fans this may be the 'last chance saloon' for Queen/Queen Productions to release something interesting and valuable. If they mess up this one, I think that may well be the end of my interest in the band.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts

Posted: 09 Aug 10, 06:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And this is the official end...

rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1566 posts

Posted: 09 Aug 10, 09:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It looks promising, for sure, but frankly I'm not sure what fans are expecting here?

We've really been quite spoiled as far as Queen releases go, when you look at what a lot of other bands do. Most are content with just re-issuing the albums, a few hits collections, and not much else. People like Springsteen have yet to even to a proper remastering of all the studio albums. Sure, The Beatles issued the Anthologies CDs, but contrary to popular belief, those weren't exactly complete. Ask any Beatles collector and he'll tell you there was a bunch of stuff left off. Elvis re-issues and special editions have been cutting, pasting, butchering and screwing up releases for a long time too.

I can't speak to every bands' releases, but I can say a lot of bands I like haven't gone nearly as far as Queen have in issuing rare material over the years.

We've been given, to name a few:

1985 - The Complete Works
1991/1992 - The remastered HR catalogue with bonus tracks and a whack of promo remixes/edits/versions
1992 - Box Of Trix
1992 - Karaoke Hits
1993 - The Queen Collection boxed set
1995 - Made In Heaven
1997 - No One But You
1998 - Queen: The eYe
1999 - Hits III
2002 - A Night At The Opera DVD-A
2003 - Live At Wembley Stadium
2003 - The Game DVD-A
2004 - Live At The Bowl
2005 - Q+PR Live Downloads
2005 - Return Of The Champions
2005 - ANATO 30th Ann. CD+DVD
2007 - Queen Rock Montreal
2008 - The Cosmos Rock
2008 - Q+PR Live Downloads
2008 - The Singles Collection Vol. 1
2009 - Live In Ukraine
2009 - The Singles Collection Vol. 2
2010 - The Singles Collection Vol. 3

To sum up, they're put out NEW material, older concerts, 5.1 surround mixes, remixes, new concerts and live tracks, and a bunch of other stuff (and that's not even including the stuff I didn't list, like solo material). 

But since the so-called Queen Anthologies haven't materialized, the band have failed us and you're going to give up on them (Holly...looking at you here!)? Oh no, they put out a few releases hardcore fans didn't care for (Singles Collections and some spuerfluous hits collections) and focused their energy on NEW recordings (Q+PR), so it's totally about time we abandon ship! They've fail us and are milking the fans.

Unbelievable.

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 09 Aug 10, 09:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Maybe they will do the Delux CD treatment Instead of the anthology.  maybe release 2 or 3 CD's a year starting with Queen1 and so on......... with a bonus disc of rarities......  I know that was being discussed a while back.

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4706 posts

Posted: 09 Aug 10, 09:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@rhyeking -- I'm not interested in re-release of old material in a new package e.g. singles box sets, but I would buy a properly remastered version of Queen 1, or even the albums re-released if there was a bonus cd with outtakes, demos etc. I was never a 'completist' and I won't buy just anything with the Queen name on it. The only thing that interests me now is what I've said above, and possibly DVD or audio releases of old concerts (Queen have done a reasonably good job of the DVD releases, albeit with some missed opportunities to include realy interesting extras). In short, I reserve the right to lose interest in a band if they don't release anything interesting!

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3037 posts

Posted: 09 Aug 10, 09:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wonder if Greg Brooks is feeling a little peeved that the 'Official Archivist' is being overlooked for compiling and writing the first ever set of sleeve notes accompanying the entire studio catalogue , in favour of a comic actor from the tele?

I know I would be!

Posted: 09 Aug 10, 10:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Holly2003 wrote: @rhyeking -- I'm not interested in re-release of old material in a new package e.g. singles box sets, but I would buy a properly remastered version of Queen 1, or even the albums re-released if there was a bonus cd with outtakes, demos etc. I was never a 'completist' and I won't buy just anything with the Queen name on it. The only thing that interests me now is what I've said above, and possibly DVD or audio releases of old concerts (Queen have done a reasonably good job of the DVD releases, albeit with some missed opportunities to include realy interesting extras). In short, I reserve the right to lose interest in a band if they don't release anything interesting!

We don't agree on everything,  but i'm with you on this one.   the only new Queen releases i'll buy is the anthologies,  it could be the original albums remastered plus the bonus rarities or one big boxset.  Doesn't matter which way they do it.......   A 70's concert of course would peak my interest.   A few of their albums could use a remaster.....Queen1 of course.    Jazz........Innuendo....three great albums that would benefit the most.

rhyeking

Posted: 09 Aug 10, 10:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As I've noted in a previous thread, I think a lot of fans are going to be disappointed with whatever demos and outtakes get issued. Based on what has been leaked, played at Cons, mentioned by the band and GB, here's what I think we're likely to see come out officially:

- early stage recordings of existing songs, mostly incomplete
- some short, incomplete, unheard ideas
- some variations on previously leaked unreleased material
- the odd in-studio jam
- a handful of genuine curiousities
- The BBC recordings
- live material

What we aren't going to see:
- lots of completed (or even nearly completed), unreleased songs (there are likely a few from the early days, but I doubt there are many after that which we haven't already accounted for)
- An album's worth of awesome, "I can't believe this never got released" material from over the years

If we're lucky:
- a couple of bona fide gems  

Personally, I think the well of gems has been tapped, between things like "Mad The Swine," "KYA Long Lost Re-take" and the various leaked early stuff ("Polar Bear," "Silver Salmon").

Don't get me wrong, I'm as interested as the next person to hear demos and outtakes, but I'm pretty certain it's going to be mostly variations of songs we know (like the leaked Hot Space demos, all of which, except "Feel Like," are pretty much close to the completed versions). However, demos only interest me to a point.

And what are we going to do if and when these Anthologies are issued? What will be left? Plenty of concerts, but they'll reach a point when there's a concert for each tour available. Then what?

The answer is what the band have been doing since 1995 (in the post-Freddie era): record and release NEW material, be it as Queen or solo work. For me, that's the interesting stuff!

Posted: 09 Aug 10, 10:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not Interested in new material that much.....didn't like TCR or the blinking eye....their past it.....All Dried up.   It would be neat if roger and brian finish some of these rare songs......Dog with a bone,  I think we're falling out,  and those type of things.

rhyeking

Posted: 09 Aug 10, 11:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I disagree that they're "past it" and "all dried up."

For me, they're still doing a lot of interesting things and I look forward to Roger's next solo album. Not everything they do grabs me immediately, but I find that which didn't ages well for me and I appreciate it more when I get past my initial expectations and reactions. I'm not the same person I was when I first got into Queen and music in general, and they aren't the same artists as they were in 1970; they're in a different place, but just as rewarding (for me, anyway).

Benn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1332 posts

Posted: 09 Aug 10, 11:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

At the end of the day, what we all want is Queen's music given the VERY BEST POSSIBLE representation.

The band prided itself on the quality of it's music, it's presentation and it's appeal to their fans.  Recent years have seen a sharp decline in those measurables and THIS is the chance to put that right.

Universal has the "Deluxe" format available to produce something genuinely stunning on behalf of Queen.  We all know that it can be done and there are plenty of yardsticks by which Universal can measure Queen's output on their label.  Whether this happens or not will be soley down to QPL and what they have agreed to in the contract with Universal and also the quality of the material they allow Universal access to under that contract.

It's exciting to think that we could be given the very best re-issues from ANY band's catalogue, however, we all have past history by which to judge QPL's input in to projects like this and the jury is certainly out until we have tracklists at the very least.

Benn
rhyeking

Posted: 09 Aug 10, 12:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Benn wrote: "The band prided itself on the quality of it's music, it's presentation and it's appeal to their fans.  Recent years have seen a sharp decline in those measurables and THIS is the chance to put that right."

You neglect to mention that the band took risks in spite of what appealed to fans, boldly and unapologetically moving in musical directions which were sometimes commercial successes and sometimes not. Every new direction made some fans lose interest and gained other fans.

I'd also disagree that there has been a decline, sharp or otherwise, simply because hardcore fans aren't being catered to. We were all casual fans at one point and certain releases are marketed to them. They can't preach to the converted all the time.

The only real issue I have with something like The Singles boxes is that they do not contain enough unique versions for a set which you would think only hardcore fans would invest $100 in.

Posted: 09 Aug 10, 13:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Benn wrote: At the end of the day, what we all want is Queen's music given the VERY BEST POSSIBLE representation.

The band prided itself on the quality of it's music, it's presentation and it's appeal to their fans.  Recent years have seen a sharp decline in those measurables and THIS is the chance to put that right.

Universal has the "Deluxe" format available to produce something genuinely stunning on behalf of Queen.  We all know that it can be done and there are plenty of yardsticks by which Universal can measure Queen's output on their label.  Whether this happens or not will be soley down to QPL and what they have agreed to in the contract with Universal and also the quality of the material they allow Universal access to under that contract.

It's exciting to think that we could be given the very best re-issues from ANY band's catalogue, however, we all have past history by which to judge QPL's input in to projects like this and the jury is certainly out until we have tracklists at the very least.

I agree benn.....i'm actually pretty excited and curious about these remasters.    Will they get this right?......2011 is only 5 short months away, so we'll hear something about track listings by the new year, or soon after.   I have a feeling 2011 is gonna be a good year for Queen fans......Or they're gonna wait until the 50th Anniversary to do something special?..............  lol.

Back2TheLight user not visiting Queenzone.com
Back2TheLight
Bohemian: 639 posts

Posted: 10 Aug 10, 02:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If the remasters sound anything like what they did for the eYe remixes, I think it will sound fantastic. I just put alot of that stuff on CD in my car, and it just absolutely blows my mind how mammoth those remixes are. I don't know who did those mixes, but maybe that's who they should have in charge of doing the remasters. Make the songs we all fell in love with back in the day just absolutely sound mammoth! Especially things like Innuendo and The Miracle which can really benefit from some TLC. That is something I would be happy to go and buy. Ilisten to the Breakthru remix from The eYe, and it just sounds phenominal!

I Want It All And I Want It Now!!
cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3037 posts

Posted: 10 Aug 10, 05:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

bambams-paradise wrote: If the remasters sound anything like what they did for the eYe remixes, I think it will sound fantastic. I just put alot of that stuff on CD in my car, and it just absolutely blows my mind how mammoth those remixes are. I don't know who did those mixes, but maybe that's who they should have in charge of doing the remasters. Make the songs we all fell in love with back in the day just absolutely sound mammoth! Especially things like Innuendo and The Miracle which can really benefit from some TLC. That is something I would be happy to go and buy. Ilisten to the Breakthru remix from The eYe, and it just sounds phenominal!

Whilst the Eye remixes are interesting and great to listen to, I don't think there is anything special in how they are mastered from a sonic point of view.  Are you confusing mixing/remixing with mastering?

zephead2112 user not visiting Queenzone.com
zephead2112
Bohemian: 104 posts

Posted: 10 Aug 10, 09:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a product that includes un-released material from the vaults and I will be bitterly disappointed if that doesn't happen (Hammy 79 pleeeeeeeeease.....!)

However, I must say that, based on their tremendous back catalogue alone, how could you possibly "lose interest" in Queen? Being frustrated is one thing but dismissing them for good (as the comment infers) is a different kettle of fish. I'm know that I'm one of the older Queen fans here (first being 'attracted' to the band in 1974 when SSOR was released) but I never have and never will lose interest in the band, simply because their musical legacy is just too damn good to ignore.

I guess it's just a design defect of human nature; no matter what treasures they already have, people will always want more.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18636 posts

Posted: 10 Aug 10, 11:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

cmsdrums wrote:

Whilst the Eye remixes are interesting and great to listen to, I don't think there is anything special in how they are mastered from a sonic point of view.  Are you confusing mixing/remixing with mastering?

Have a listen to the attached file - Capitol Records vs. The Eye.  To me there's absolutely no comparison.  Listen to the difference in the mastering.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18636 posts

Posted: 10 Aug 10, 11:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Attachment: 103610130936365.mp3 1 MB
This has been downloaded 36 time(s).

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Negative Creep user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 720 posts

Posted: 10 Aug 10, 11:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The tracks on The Eye are completely new remixes. The whole back catalogue could do with being re-mixed - just merely re-creating the old mixes without the unncessary analogue compression fresh from the multitracks would do it wonders.