Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Things that "bother" you about Queen

forum rss feed
Author

QueenFan76 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 88 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Aug 10, 09:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have a few things that bother me throughout their history.

1- sometimes some of the lyrics just make me cringe. "Walking down the street, one cloudy sunny day" um, huh? What about "one partly sunny day" Just things like that make me cringe.

Also, "I, want, you, to be a woman" Its bad enough non fans give me garbage about "that group were all gay", but lyrics like that make it worse. And Freddie (the only "gay" member) didn't even write that one! So of course I don't point out that another member wrote it....

2- Allowing one another to play on songs on "not their instrument" For example, Roger playing almost everything on Fight From The Inside, Basically, I'm ok if people weren't on the song musically (Like no Freddie on Sleeping On The Sidewalk because it didn't call for Piano) but replacing a member with either synth or programmed drums is just idiotic. Like Roger on Sheer Heart Attack.

Anything anyone has "bother" them like this?

Benn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1332 posts

Posted: 26 Aug 10, 09:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The most bizzare non-sensical thread I've seen on here in some time.

What license have you been given for being allowed to access a computer?

When do the gates to your secure unit open?

Benn
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 26 Aug 10, 09:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To be absolutely fair with them, they weren't the best lyricists; at least not all of the time.  For my part I think Brian wrote the best lyrics in Queen (I'm thinking of things like Save Me or Good Company; he had a great way with words) but then I happen to think he probably wrote some of the worst as well.  

There wasn't much else that bothered me about Queen, honestly.  A fine band; when I try to scrounge around for things that bother me, I'm really only thinking of stuff that has happened post-Freddie.  Their tendency to get a bit too 'serious' sometimes.  I think, with all 4 of them in the band, they could tackle the odd serious topic but with a degree of levity.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 26 Aug 10, 09:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

QueenFan76 wrote: I have a few things that bother me throughout their history.

1- sometimes some of the lyrics just make me cringe. "Walking down the street, one cloudy sunny day" um, huh? What about "one partly sunny day" Just things like that make me cringe.

Also, "I, want, you, to be a woman" Its bad enough non fans give me garbage about "that group were all gay", but lyrics like that make it worse. And Freddie (the only "gay" member) didn't even write that one! So of course I don't point out that another member wrote it....

2- Allowing one another to play on songs on "not their instrument" For example, Roger playing almost everything on Fight From The Inside, Basically, I'm ok if people weren't on the song musically (Like no Freddie on Sleeping On The Sidewalk because it didn't call for Piano) but replacing a member with either synth or programmed drums is just idiotic. Like Roger on Sheer Heart Attack.

Anything anyone has "bother" them like this?

The lyrics are 'One cloudless, sunny day'  not cloudy, sunny. That wouldn't make sense.

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Voice of Reason 2014 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1059 posts

Posted: 26 Aug 10, 09:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well said Fried Chicken!  That's what I thought it said.

As for Son and Daughter - I think there's more to the story in the song.

Regarding embarressing things generally - I don't worry about it much, it's usually good natured as everyone seem to like Queen. I've probably had more comments about Queen costumes, videos, sexuality and Sun City than the words to Hijack My Heart!

A local stand-up comic has a routine where he says his classmates used to slag him for liking Wham who were 'gay' - and that was from the Queen fans!

Cheers.

"Build your muscles as your body decays!"
rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1566 posts

Posted: 26 Aug 10, 10:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In my teens, there were a few songs that I wouldn't play around my parents, like in the car, such as: "Body Language," "Get Down, Make Love," or "Death On Two Legs," but otherwise, even with songs I didn't like too much it never bothered me that the band created that song. I took what they did as their offering, mine to take or leave.

As for things like sharing instrument duties, I would think, "Oh that's neat, Freddie on acoustic for Crazy Little Thing. Cool." Whatever they felt was best for the song, who was I to argue?

Early on, I was surprised that they played a recording for the operatic bit in BoRhap, just because I was interested in hearing it attempted live. It wasn't until I read about why they couldn't recreate it well that I understood the necessity.

Back when I read a few biographies (when I was just discovering the band), it started to grate on my nerves how big a deal biographers made of Freddie's sexuality. I know it's tied to his lifestyle and death, but I was more interested in is music than his personal life. I would think, "Alright, he was gay. He got AIDS. I get it. Talk about his songwriting!" That's partly why I stopped reading bios, unless the emphasis was on the music, recording and/or touring.

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 26 Aug 10, 10:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i alway's hear about the slagging people get for being queen fans.....what fucking planet do you live on?.....when i mention i'm a queen fan the respect for me goes through the roof.  They know they could talk some serious music with me.   the first thing they mention is the voice of freddie of course, and brilliance of the band as a whole. 

The only thing that bothered me about queen is that they were a bit too Democratic.   An example is putting on a roger song just for the sake of it.   "loser in the end"  didn't fit queen2, so it should have been released as a B side Single.    The white side should have ended with a brian song.   Stuff like that.

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 26 Aug 10, 11:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Change the topic title to Queen Productions instead. God, that institute deserves a rant every single day.

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

jamster1111 user not visiting Queenzone.com
jamster1111
Bohemian: 844 posts

Posted: 26 Aug 10, 12:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

While there may be some songs that lack lyrically, most of their songs have amazing lyrics. Each member wrote great lyrics for different particular subjects. The worst lyrics in a queen song are probably party, body language, or son and daughter. But then look at songs like innuendo, in the lap of the gods revisited, good old fashioned lover boy etc.. - those songs have brilliant lyrics

It's late, but it's time to set me free

It's late, yes I know but there's no way it has to be

Too late, so let the fire take our bodies this night

So late, so let the waters take our guilt in the t

Posted: 26 Aug 10, 12:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The most bizzare non-sensical (blah blah blah, rest of idiotic post taken off to protext your ignorance)

I am surprised they let a jerkoff like you in here. It is a serious discussion about Queen. Don't act like an internet bully and flame someone who's been here a long time. (Just don't post as much, new screen name, lost the old one as did the moderators)

If you , don't like it, don't read it.

Posted: 26 Aug 10, 12:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The lyrics are 'One cloudless, sunny day'  not cloudy, sunny. That wouldn't make sense.

Well by god you're right, I listened closer. Well thats nice to know that Roger wasn't a total idiot...

Other Instruments, Freddie playing Acoustic guitar WHILE Brian is in the song playing electric isn't what I mean. I understand sometimes Freddie WROTE the guitar part (Like in Bo Rhap) but Brian still played it. Like with Fight From The Inside, Why not have Brian play guitars or something. I know originally Roger thought of it being a solo release but still. Also, things like Forever. Couldn't Freddie have played it?

As for songs I don't play around people. I got my (now 12 year old) daughter into Queen and she STILL hasn't heard Get Down Make Love. Body Language is ok I suppose. She actually doesn't like Death On Two Legs all that much for whatever reason....

Her main current favorites are Invisible Man, If You Can't Beat Them and Jesus. All time fave of hers is The Show Must Go On.

Posted: 26 Aug 10, 12:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jamster1111 wrote: While there may be some songs that lack lyrically, most of their songs have amazing lyrics. Each member wrote great lyrics for different particular subjects. The worst lyrics in a queen song are probably party, body language, or son and daughter. But then look at songs like innuendo, in the lap of the gods revisited, good old fashioned lover boy etc.. - those songs have brilliant lyrics
i agree......We could go on and on about the great and not so great lryics of Queen.  Every rock band has some weak lryics.  I remember as a kid we all thought Rush had tremendous lryics, but now i listen to them, And realize how hit and miss they also were.   'somebody to love" and the show must go on are two songs with great lryics.  some of freds songs were intentionally silly.  'biycle Races" while still brilliant.   I have very little complaints about Queen.   My biggest complaint is that Hot Space should have kicked ass, but they somehow screwed it up.

Benn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1332 posts

Posted: 26 Aug 10, 15:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

....yet you couldn't even get the lyric right that bothers you so much.

Does it still bother you now you know the real version as opposed to the version the voices in your head are telling you to hear?

Benn
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 26 Aug 10, 15:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

TBF, Brian DOES play on 'Fight from the Inside'. A better complaint would be the lack of John. IMO, Roger could handle guitar parts relatively well, but on bass... he's a wonderful drummer. Same for Bri: good at keys, not so much at bass.

Regarding 'Forever': I think 99.99% of piano things would sound better played by Freddie than Brian. 'Forever' is part of the remaining 0.01%.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 3667 posts

Posted: 26 Aug 10, 16:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I thought it was 'one cloudless sunny day'?!

Brian annoys me these days.. simply because he truly believes 'Queen' has a future thus denies us its past.

I couldnt give a shit about the future of Queen.

mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 3667 posts

Posted: 26 Aug 10, 16:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And you know what I hate about Queenzone? I cannot for the life of me put a gap between the 2 first lines in the previous thread.

rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1566 posts

Posted: 26 Aug 10, 16:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I believe it helps keeps things fresh when a band mixes things up a little. When an instrument isn't the primary tool used by an artist, you can get something very interesting and perhaps not what, say, the regular guitarist or pianist would do. Brian has said he likes composing on piano because when he picks up the guitar, his fingers and brain play what they're comfortable with. He's freer to experiment on the piano because he's not a master at it. Freddie supposedly composed some things on guitar (I've heard "Ogre Battle" cited), which probably achived the same result.

We're only talking about a few songs in the Queen catalogue, but they are more or less successful, in my opinion.

Brian on piano  = Save Me, Forever, Too Much Love Will Kill You
Freddie on guitar = Crazy Little Thing, Ogre Battle (composed)
Roger on bass = Fight From The Inside
John on multiple guitars = Misfire
Brian on programmed drums = I Can't Live With You
(at least we now have the Roger-on-drums version with the Retake, for those who don't like the original)

Posted: 26 Aug 10, 17:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

rhyeking wrote: I believe it helps keeps things fresh when a band mixes things up a little. When an instrument isn't the primary tool used by an artist, you can get something very interesting and perhaps not what, say, the regular guitarist or pianist would do. Brian has said he likes composing on piano because when he picks up the guitar, his fingers and brain play what they're comfortable with. He's freer to experiment on the piano because he's not a master at it. Freddie supposedly composed some things on guitar (I've heard "Ogre Battle" cited), which probably achived the same result.

We're only talking about a few songs in the Queen catalogue, but they are more or less successful, in my opinion.

Brian on piano  = Save Me, Forever, Too Much Love Will Kill You
Freddie on guitar = Crazy Little Thing, Ogre Battle (composed)
Roger on bass = Fight From The Inside
John on multiple guitars = Misfire
Brian on programmed drums = I Can't Live With You
(at least we now have the Roger-on-drums version with the Retake, for those who don't like the original)
Freddie composed a lot more than orge battle on guitar, like the heavy bit in Bo Rhap.   Many many more.

Tommy Hilfiger user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 1 posts

Posted: 26 Aug 10, 18:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mike hunt wrote: i alway's hear about the slagging people get for being queen fans.....what fucking planet do you live on?.....when i mention i'm a queen fan the respect for me goes through the roof.  They know they could talk some serious music with me.   the first thing they mention is the voice of freddie of course, and brilliance of the band as a whole. 

The only thing that bothered me about queen is that they were a bit too Democratic.   An example is putting on a roger song just for the sake of it.   "loser in the end"  didn't fit queen2, so it should have been released as a B side Single.    The white side should have ended with a brian song.   Stuff like that.

Funny you mention that the respect for you goes through the roof. I actually found I made great working contact's through Queen coming up in conversation. Long story short, I was flying between melbourne and sydney for work. One night out, the manager of the department and I were talking over some beers, and we started talking Queen. As soon as he said Freddie, Brian, Roger and John, I knew he was serious and from there we just hit it of and I was later offered a job from him.

So, as far as people putting you down for liking Queen, I had the total opposite and ended up making some great friendships.

Cant bring back lost love

Posted: 26 Aug 10, 18:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh I have too had people respect me. They're called "real music fans". The casual fan who maybe likes one of the 4 or 5 still played on the radio hits, or those who plain just don't like Queen, are the ones I get crap from.

I like all kinds of music but some people who are close minded say some idiotic things about Queen, despite them having done at least one song that fits ANY music mold save for Rap and even then, the remix of Dragon Attack could in a way count towards that in a pinch. Even though Queen had nothing to do with the rap part.

And the reason I mis-heard Hijack My Heart was the music kinda blending and me not hearing the emphasis on the "ss" ending to the word. The song still bothers me... "Stupid bimbo" line for one. Its a good song but the lyrics could have used a bit of re writing. Then again ANYTHING Queen has done is lyrically MILES better than many group like Kiss, Pearl Jam, Van Halen and Nirvana did for the most part anyways. Thats just my opinion though. Kiss's songs were dumb IMHO and I dislike Pearl Jam & Nirvana. Plus I hate the people that act like Eddie Van Halen was the greatest. Hint: no where near it! I could name at least 15 guitarists who were MILES better without any effort!

(Because I'm sure I'll be asked.....) Brian May, Pete Townsend, Jan Akkerman (Focus), Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Braunn (Iron Butterfly), George Harrison, Nancy Wilson (Heart), JY (Styx), Gary Richrath (REO), Randy Bachman, Davey Johnstone (Elton John), George Johnson (Brothers Johnson), I just realized that was 16.....