Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > QUEEN: THE MOVIE (Confirmed)

forum rss feed
Author

Marknow user not visiting Queenzone.com
Banned
Marknow
Deity: 2271 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Sep 10, 18:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Edit 17/09/10

Movie is now confirmed, source Brianmay.com http://www.brianmay.com/whatsnew.html

______________________________________________________________________________________________
Taken from http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/198953/Queen-the-movie

IT is the rock ’n’ roll biopic that ­Hollywood has been desperate to make for years.

Now it finally looks as though the story of singer Freddie Mercury’s ­extraordinary life is about to hit the big screen after producers won over the surviving members of Queen.

Only now have guitarist Brian May, drummer Roger Taylor, bassist John Deacon and manager Jim Beach relented and allowed the band’s music to be used in a movie about Freddie.

A source close to the project ­revealed: “As yet, the film hasn’t even got a title, but Hollywood has been flinging money at the band for years wanting to do a film about Freddie.

“You couldn’t do it without the ­music, however, and up until now they have always said no.”

Mercury, born ­Farrokh Bulsara in Zanzibar, grew up to be the flamboyant front-man of one of the greatest ­stadium rock bands in history.

Queen’s breakthrough came in 1974, with the single The Seven Seas of Rhye. They went on to notch up 18 No 1 singles, including their ground breaking pop mini-operetta Bohemian Rhapsody, Another One Bites The Dust, I Want To Break Free, Killer Queen, Somebody To Love and It’s A Kind Of Magic.

They also sold 300 million albums, with 18 reaching No 1.

Mercury later admitted being gay, although he had a string of affairs with men and women first. By the time of Sir Bob Geldof’s Live Aid fund-raiser at Wembley Stadium in 1985, Mercury was on top of his game.

Three years later rumours began about his health because of his dramatic weight-loss. He only revealed that he had Aids in November 1991, the day before he died.

The script is set to be written by Peter Morgan (The Queen and Frost/Nixon).

The source added: “It is hoped to be released at the end of next year, 20th anniversary of Freddie’s death. The budget is huge.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edit 17/09/10

More news from across the pond hope this aint true!

Taken from http://www.deadline.com/2010/09/exclusive-sacha-baron-cohen-set-to-play-queen-singer-freddie-mercury-in-gk-film/

EXCLUSIVE: Whether it's Marvin Gaye, Janis Joplin, Phil Spector or a host of others, enough announced music pics stall that
it’s hard to find one worth worth getting excited about. Try this one: Sacha Baron Cohen has closed a deal to play Queen front man Freddie Mercury in a film that’s being scripted by Peter Morgan for a 2011 production start.

The untitled film will be financed by GK Films partners Graham King and Tim Headington, who'll produce in partnership with Robert De Niro and Jane Rosenthal’s Tribeca Productions, and Queen Films. Morgan is already working on a script focused on the band’s formative years, leading up to Queen’s appearance at Live Aid in 1985. Queen’s performance is considered one of the rock's all-time great live concert appearances.

A rights package has been set that includes the band’s tunes, including Bohemian Rhapsody, We Will Rock You, We Are the Champions , Another One Bites The Dust and You’re My Best Friend. It is unclear whether Baron Cohen will sing—I’m told he can sing—or whether Mercury’s vocals will be used. Nobody sang like Mercury, so trying to replicate him would be a tall order. These decisions will be made as a director gets hired. Mercury died November 24, 1991 of complications from AIDS. Though his death helped to remove the stigma of AIDS sufferers prevalent at that time and particularly in the rock music industry, Mercury’s last days won’t be the subject of the film.

.Baron Cohen is an intriguing choice. For one thing, he looks more like Mercury than any star I can think of. While Baron Cohen’s primarily a comic actor, he plays well-defined characters in films from Borat to Talladega Nights, Sweeney Todd and Bruno, and he’s currently starring in the 3D Martin Scorsese-directed drama Hugo Cabret,
also for GK Films. In April, Baron Cohen was the catalyst for a big bucks comedy pitch being written by Alec Berg, Jeff Schaffer and David Mandel. Paramount beat out others for a film, which calls for Baron Cohen to play dual roles of a goat herder and a deposed dictator who gets lost in the US.

It was an extravagant deal and the project is on a fast track. It’s unclear how timing factors into the Mercury film.
Morgan has become a go-to guy for prestige films based on real figures, from Frost/Nixon to The Queen (no relation), The Last King of Scotland and Damned United.His most recent script, Hereafter, made its premiere at the Toronto
International Film Festival last Sunday, with director Clint Eastwood and stars Matt Damon and Bryce Dallas Howard introducing the film at the Elgin Theater.

GK’s King confirmed the Queen deal: “Queen is one of the greatest rock bandsof all time, and a music brand all unto itself,” he said in a statement. “Freddie Mercury was an awe-inspiring performer, so with Sacha in the starring role coupled with Peter’s screenplay and the support of Queen, we have the perfect combination to tell the real storybehind their success.”
This is the first time the surviving members of Queen--Brian May, Roger Taylor and John Deacon--have licensed songs and music publishing rights for a movie about the band and they formed Queen Films to be partof the production team on the film. They previously supplied their songs to We Will Rock You, the stage musical that has been running 9 years on London’s West End.

GK Films tomorrow opens the Ben Affleck-directed The Town through Warner Bros, and the Angelina Jolie-Johnny Depp thriller The Tourist opens December 10 through Columbia Pictures. Baron Cohen’s repped by WME and Morgan by UTA and UK-based Independent Talent Group.

GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3772 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 10, 18:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This could be so fantastic.  There is such a story in there, but it needs and deserves a serious script and a serious treatment.  This, preliminarily, sounds like it could be it.  There's a huge leap between an article and something in the can, but what an amazing thing this would be if done right.  Kudos to our guys for holding out for something that on paper at least seems worthwhile and classy.

matt z user not visiting Queenzone.com
this is not my display message
matt z
Royalty: 1713 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 10, 19:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEASEE for FUCK's SAKE....

don't let this project have anything to do with Justin Bieber or Jayden Smith....

or any of those fucktards for godsakes....

not another vehicle to shell out the "talent" (huge quotations) that UNIVERSAL has...

this is frightening...

....still, hopefully it'd be good..

"There can be only one. ........ John Deacon."
Bo Rhap user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bo Rhap
Bohemian: 534 posts

Posted: 12 Sep 10, 09:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

We have been told of this movie being made for such a long time now.

I was beginning to think that it will never be made.

Now the next question is.Is Johnny Depp going be playing Freddie?

We shall wait and see.I wont be holding my breath though

I never forget a face,

but in your case i'll be glad to

make an exception-Groucho Marx
pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 9062 posts

Posted: 12 Sep 10, 10:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh please NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

queenside user not visiting Queenzone.com
taking my ride with destiny
queenside
Bohemian: 576 posts

Posted: 12 Sep 10, 15:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i would like to see depp as freddie but i don't wanna this movie to be made if it won't be like walk the line (which was about johnny cash) in terms of quality

I watched as fear took the old men's gaze

Hopes of the young in troubled graves

I see no day, I heard him say

So grey is the face of every mortal

mantomen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 10 posts

Posted: 12 Sep 10, 15:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh, my God! Finally! It would be greeeeeaaat!
  It's late it's late it's late
  But not too late

Jam Monkey user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jam Monkey
Bohemian: 652 posts

Posted: 12 Sep 10, 16:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Umm, something tells me this will be eiether fantasic or foul, and nothing inbetween.

Contact me, I'm no Darth Vader: jam_monkey@hotmail.com
rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1562 posts

Posted: 12 Sep 10, 17:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This could either way.

We could see an Academy Award-winning production with the calibre of Ray or Walk The Line or The Doors.

or...

We could end up with Selena, but I doubt it.

Johnny Depp would be cool, but I think I'd rather see them (if possible) use an actor of a similar ethnic background, for authenticity. I concede that may not be possible.

I'm also keen to seen how they anchor the story. A good drama, even factually based, requires conflict, either internal or external (or both). I hope they find something more than just his sexuality to base his struggles around, as that was just one aspect of his life. The Sheffield management battles would be good for the first portion, and the infamous in-studio rows the band reportedly had.

12yrslouetta user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 70 posts

Posted: 12 Sep 10, 17:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have to admit that i winced when i heard this news.  I always feel that that the main interest people have for Queen are whats bohemian rhapsody about and that Freddie mercury went to clubs, was gay and did drugs.  No ones really interested in the Queen story as such, they are more interested in the scandal side of things, which is human nature i guess.
Hmm, I wonder if another compilation will be released as the soundtrack??

Zebonka12 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Zebonka12
Deity: 12689 posts

Posted: 13 Sep 10, 03:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It will very likely stink on ice, but there's always hope.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
emrabt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1086 posts

Posted: 13 Sep 10, 06:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I doubt anything will come of this, one of the reporters at the express keeps reading too far into things and posting
queen related stuff.

Last year it was stuff like: “Brian may furious at music thieves stealing Michael Jackson demos.” and other things Twisted from the soapbox. Looks like the story that's been floating around this site for years, just updated.

Did you ever get the feeling

That the truth is less revealing

Than a downright lie?

And did you think your head was hip

To certain things it's not equipped

To qualify?
Voice of Reason 2014 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1004 posts

Posted: 13 Sep 10, 07:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I could play Barry Sheffield, maybe Britney Spears for Mary.

As it's the same writer as The Queen and Frost/Nixon I guess that guy with the stary eyes will be playing Freddie!

"Build your muscles as your body decays!"
Thistleboy1980 user not visiting Queenzone.com
You wanna ring the bell?
Thistleboy1980
Deity: 2694 posts

Posted: 13 Sep 10, 09:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zachary Quinto as Freddie, anyone?

It ain't about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit: how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!
GratefulFan

Posted: 13 Sep 10, 12:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Robert Downey Jr.  should play ALL the parts.  Including Mary. Actually, especially Mary.

(Just kidding Mary!)

rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1562 posts

Posted: 13 Sep 10, 12:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"I'm the dude playing dude, dressed as another dude, playing the gay dude and his girlfriend!"

NEMO75 user not visiting Queenzone.com
NEMO75
Champion: 56 posts

Posted: 13 Sep 10, 14:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Please, wait until my death i don't want to see it

GratefulFan

Posted: 13 Sep 10, 14:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Can somebody please tell Rhyeking that that maybe might have possibly made me laugh just a teeny tiny bit.  I'm not speaking to him.

Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 2849 posts

Posted: 13 Sep 10, 14:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What's the beef?

I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
GratefulFan

Posted: 13 Sep 10, 15:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sadly, Rhyeking is the mosquito in my Queenzone.  But in the interest of a harmonious world of unicorns and rainbows, I'm working on it. :p