Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > An Extended Version Collection

forum rss feed
Author

rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1566 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Sep 10, 14:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Okay, as I watch the ball game, I decided to put together what I feel would be a Queen release which would appeal to seasoned fans and casual buyers as well.

I sort of divided up the tracks between the poppier numbers and the heavier tracks. I think the flow works well and other than some third-party remixes, all the Extended/12" Versions are accounted for.

Disc 1
A Kind Of Magic (Extended Version)
Radio Ga Ga (Extended Version)
Under Pressure (Club 2000 Mix)
Pain Is So Close To Pleasure (Extended Mix)
The Invisible Man (12" Version)
Scandal (12" Mix)
Back Chat (Extended Version)
Staying Power (Extended Version)
I Want To Break Free (Extended Mix)
You Don't Fool Me (Late Mix)

Disc 2:
One Vision (Extended Vision)
Hammer To Fall (Headbanger's Mix)
Breakthru (Extended Version)
It's A Hard Life (Extended Version)
Friends Will Be Friends (Extended Version)
Machines (Instrumental)*
Keep Passing The Open Windows (Extended Version)
A Dozen Red Roses For My Darling (Extended Version)
Man On The Prowl (Extended Version)
One Year Of Love (Extended Version)
Innuendo (Explosive Version)

* I included this even though it's not extended, per se, and was available on the US 7" singles as well as the 12" singles, but I think it fits well, deserves a proper remaster and since Queen included it on the Box Of Trix 12" Collection, I don't feel bad including it myself here.

If there weren't enough hits or recognizable Queen tracks, QP could commission a new Extended Version "Another One Bites The Dust," though there are plenty of existing mixes to pick from (just please no Miami Project mixes).

I'd also suggest any or all of the following versions, as there is room on each disc:

"Headlong (Video Version)"
"I Want It All (Rocks Version)"
"Radio Ga Ga (Instrumental)"

There's even room for "Bohemian Rhapsody" (finish Disc 2 with it, it works best there)...

Jam Monkey user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jam Monkey
Bohemian: 664 posts

Posted: 12 Sep 10, 16:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like it, it's about time some of these versions got a CD release. I've always enjoyed listening to the extended versions, but it is a shame that right now you have to spend huge ammounts to get your hands on them all.

Perhaps we could include the (Slightly) extended version of Thank God It's Christmas as a bonus track?

Contact me, I'm no Darth Vader: jam_monkey@hotmail.com
rhyeking

Posted: 12 Sep 10, 16:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like the Hollywood Records Version of "Thank God It's Christmas," but it would make for awkward listening for 11 months of the year (personally, I can't listen to it in August, for example). Plus, I think that version was one of the many HR mastering errors from that period, though admittedly it's one of their better mistakes, and not a bona fide Extended Version in that sense.

Jam Monkey

Posted: 12 Sep 10, 16:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You're right of course, I was just being pedantic. Hollywood Records certainly made a few errors, like I Want It All.

It would however be nice to hear the extended version of A Dozen Red Roses For My Darling on CD. Those extra few seconds a big difference to the track.

rhyeking

Posted: 12 Sep 10, 17:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"I Want It All" was actually QPL's fault, I think, for sending the wrong master to HR, who thought it was right one.

HR did mess up "In The Lap Of The Gods" and "It's Late," as well as TGIC.

*goodco* user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1129 posts

Posted: 13 Sep 10, 01:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To quote John McEnroe:  "You cannot be serious !!!! " (meaning 'general' discussion...intended to make one smile)

And also, 'you cannot be serious!!!'   Don't give the nimrods at QP any ideas.  They might actually do something like this.  On a scale of 1-10, I give this negative 8 stars.

"Discretionary posting is the better part of valor." Falstaff
rhyeking

Posted: 13 Sep 10, 09:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What's the problem? 

I'd love to have all the Extended Versions properly remastered.

Wiley user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts

Posted: 13 Sep 10, 10:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I second that. If Queen Productions are going to re-release the hits yet again, why don't they at least put out the Extended versions or even live versions (?).

Benn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1332 posts

Posted: 13 Sep 10, 13:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In all fairness Rhyeking, I doubt there'd be much point in QPL coming up with this kind of brilliant idea.

After all, with the availability of all of these tracks across the web in cracking quality or in our own collections on the various releases, most of us have already created our own 2-cd sets featuring interesting running orders and cracking artwork.

Can't see there being a great demand for it, but totally get your point.

Benn
Jam Monkey

Posted: 13 Sep 10, 13:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think there might be alot of fans who want this, just because of the time, effort and cash it takes to get all these tracks right now.

I see you point Benn, but if you're someone like me downloading the track isn't enough, I want to own the release as well. While I do have all these tracks in my collection, I recognize that not everyone has that option. The cost of the Staying Power promo alone would put most people off.

I think a few releases that make it a little easier on dedicated fans to get these versions would be a good thing.

Wiley user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts

Posted: 13 Sep 10, 15:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For me, having that "Staying Power" remix in CD quality would be enough reason to buy said collection.

By the way, I happen to have a spare copy of the Staying Power Elektra promo, in case anybody wants to buy it or trade for it.

Posted: 13 Sep 10, 15:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jam Monkey, re:

>>I see you point Benn, but if you're someone like me downloading the
track isn't enough, I want to own the release as well.

Yep - completely understand that one, but, for me, I'm now beyond buying what they put out for the sake of it.  Every Queen purchase I now make is a calculated decision based on the amount of effort *THEY* have put in against the amount of value it adds to my listening / viewing experience.

For example, I didn't buy Live At Montreal based on the fact that they have tampered with something as BASIC as the shows' set list.

But I did buy "Milton Keynes" as it was a vast improvement on anything I had in my collection and the version's I'd owned in the past.

If they were to re-issue the catalogue with bonus tracks then I'd probably buy 2 copies of each due to the surprise element of being given something of value.......... :-)  ha ha!

Benn
Jam Monkey

Posted: 13 Sep 10, 15:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Exactly. As I've said before in here if you like a release then get it, if you don't like then don't buy it.

I'd like the 2 discs sets as well, but I am not holding my breath. With a little time and some luck you can make your own.

Posted: 13 Sep 10, 15:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yep.

Complete BBC Sessions (including TOTP GOFLB & Golders Green)
"Deluxe" Queen - with Feelings, Silver Salmon, Polar Bear, KYA Long Lost Re-Take, MTS & various Convention recordings
"Deluxe" ADATR - with Live soundboard cover versions
"Alternate Miracle" - with certain tracks omitted and various extended versions / demos added in.

There's plenty out there to keep the old Nero software active :-)

Benn

Posted: 13 Sep 10, 15:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

......cor blimey and "Deluxe" Hot Space :-)

Benn
rhyeking

Posted: 13 Sep 10, 16:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think they could do much with the Queen Rock Montreal DVD, in terms of things like re-instating "Flash" and "The Hero" and putting "Jailhouse Rock" back as the encore. The footage QP had to work with was basically all Mobile Vision left them to work with. Brian said there was no other footage available, it was all long gone.

The best thing they could under the circumstances was leave it more or less alone (though they tried to repair the intro to "Now I'm Here"). The audio synchs up better than the We Will Rock You version. 

It's not perfect, but I think given what they had to work with, it's pretty good.

Just my opinion, though.

Jam Monkey

Posted: 13 Sep 10, 16:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Indeed, plenty to keep us ammused. I can understand people wanting rarities, I do to; but there is about 140 unreleased tracks that freely circulate, and with a little effort alot more you can get hold of. Add in the hundreds of song versions that are around and all is well, mostly.

*goodco* user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1129 posts

Posted: 14 Sep 10, 09:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

From a fan purchasing 'Box of Tricks',  on through all the bonus tracks added to CD singles and HR CDs and 12" releases, just to get the extended versions.  Upon one listen to 95% of what you listed, my opinion still is:   remastered sh*t still equals sh*t.  Or, put more diplomatically, garbage in=garbage out. 

That line stays with The Freddie Mercury Insult and TGP and GH3 releases as well.  Pity that I see the latter two in the used section bins of my record store (along with the 'Lover of Life' release).

I am so glad that other artist releases, such as  Sinatra, Hendrix, Doors,John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Beatles, Zeppelin, Van Halen, Dream Theater, Metallica, et al...............didn't resort to this rubbish.

"Discretionary posting is the better part of valor." Falstaff

Posted: 14 Sep 10, 10:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rhyeking, re:

>I don't think they could do much with the Queen Rock Montreal DVD, in
terms of things like re-instating "Flash" and "The Hero" and putting
"Jailhouse Rock" back as the encore.

Ha ha - that's EXACTLY what was wrong with the release and, IMHO, unforgiveable.

Benn

Posted: 14 Sep 10, 10:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

*goodco*, re:

>95% of what you listed, my opinion still is:   remastered sh*t still
equals sh*t.  Or, put more diplomatically, garbage in=garbage out. 

I think that is true for many of the extended versions that have been issued over time.  It's another case of Queen jumping on the dance bandwagon and trying to remain contemporary when, all the time, what we REALLY want the band to be is a ballsy, guitar, drums, bass & vocals rock band.

In my view, the only extended version with any merit is the Hammer To Fall (Headbangers Mix)

>That line
stays with The Freddie Mercury Insult and TGP and GH3 releases as
well.  Pity that I see the latter two in the used section bins of my
record store (along with the 'Lover of Life' release).

My point exactly - a polished turd is still a turd.

Benn