forum rss feed
Author

lifetimefanofqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
lifetimefanofqueen
Royalty: 1328 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Sep 10, 13:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

heya

i havent heard any Beatles songs,well 1, shame on me, and i wanna listen to some of their songs because some people always say they are so good, but i dont know any of their songs so dont know what to be looking for, im gonna try get over to HMV some time soon when i get a bit of money to see what i can find, but if u guys know any good songs then which ones do you suggest?

cheers

Julia

emrabt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1118 posts

Posted: 15 Sep 10, 14:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I can guarantee you’ve heard more than 1 Beatles song, you just don’t know it yet.

start by searching youtube with "free as a bird" and work backwards, (or maybe start with Real love).

Or start with the songs from the "paul is Dead" clues.....

you could find all the songs refrenced in the free as a bird video and watch
them...

http://www.phaseshift.com/beatles/faab/

The easiest thing to do would be to watch the musical "across the universe", which uses Beatles music. you can by it in HMV.

After you have the basics of the beatles figured out, go onto "The Rutles", can't beat Idle and innes.

paulosham user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon
paulosham
Bohemian: 659 posts

Posted: 15 Sep 10, 16:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That's not the way to do it.

start with something like Rubber Soul or Revolver, both are amazing albums from the middle of their career. Here's the link to the beatles mix (40 videos) on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6G7MkBMVxE&a=GxdCwVVULXfH-k_IVzQbQcibTdWOSgKg&list=ML&playnext=1

Don't shun it!

Posted: 16 Sep 10, 00:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

paulsmith2001 wrote: That's not the way to do it.

start with something like Rubber Soul or Revolver, both are amazing albums from the middle of their career. Here's the link to the beatles mix (40 videos) on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6G7MkBMVxE&a=GxdCwVVULXfH-k_IVzQbQcibTdWOSgKg&list=ML&playnext=1
Well, if you want to do it the easy way by giving her 40 youtube vidoes, where's the adventure in that?

paulosham

Posted: 16 Sep 10, 03:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I just looked at some of those videos and half of them aren't even the beatles. ha ha, still It's better to listen to real songs than Jeff Lynne's idea of the beatles and don't get me started on that film.

Don't shun it!
Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4706 posts

Posted: 16 Sep 10, 03:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I suggest you ignore the Beatles and instead buy all of Paul McCartney's Wings cds. Wings are the band the Beatles could've been if only that layabout John lennon had left the band back in the early 1960s.

Jet! woo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo. Jet!

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
lifetimefanofqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
lifetimefanofqueen
Royalty: 1328 posts

Posted: 16 Sep 10, 07:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

emrabt wrote: I can guarantee you’ve heard more than 1 Beatles song, you just don’t know it yet.

start by searching youtube with "free as a bird" and work backwards, (or maybe start with Real love).

Or start with the songs from the "paul is Dead" clues.....

you could find all the songs refrenced in the free as a bird video and watch
them...

http://www.phaseshift.com/beatles/faab/

The easiest thing to do would be to watch the musical "across the universe", which uses Beatles music. you can by it in HMV.

After you have the basics of the beatles figured out, go onto "The Rutles", can't beat Idle and innes.

real love is the one i know :D its awesome :') and thanks for the help <3

Posted: 16 Sep 10, 12:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

After you've found some you like post them and someone can suggest more / an album.

paulosham

Posted: 16 Sep 10, 20:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Here's a list of some of my favourite Beatles songs in chronological order.

please please me
love me do
all my loving
i wanna be your man
money
a hard day's night
and i love her
can't buy me love
eight days a week
help
ticket to ride
yesterday
drive my car
norwegian wood
michelle
i'm looking through you
in my life
taxman
eleanor rigby
i'm only sleeping
she said she said
and your bird can sing
doctor robert
tomorrow never knows
magical mystery tour
your mother should know
hello goodbye
strawberry fields forever
penny lane
lucy in the sky with diamonds
she's leaving home
when i'm sixty four
a day in the life
glass onion
happiness is a warm gun
martha my dear
blackbird
rocky raccoon
birthday
helter skelter
something
golden slumbers
carry that weight
the end
all together now
all you need is love
across the universe
let it be
one after 909
the long and winding road
get back

Every one of these songs is a classic and that only at a quick glance

Don't shun it!
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18636 posts

Posted: 17 Sep 10, 00:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd add "If I Fell" to that list.  Lennon and McCartney's voices blend like no other in that song.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca

Posted: 17 Sep 10, 03:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Come together", "Hey bulldog", "lady Madonna", "i'm so tired", "i am the walrus", "Blackbird", "Being for the Benifit of mr kite",  "revolution", "a Day in the life"" and "back in the USSR" can also be added to that list.

(Edit: obviously you'll have to remove the blackbird that's already on your list to add mine.)

Unless you've been living under a rock it's impossible to have only heard one beatles song.......

MadTheSwine73 user not visiting Queenzone.com
God Save The Queen
MadTheSwine73
Royalty: 1013 posts

Posted: 05 Jul 11, 13:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Holly2003 wrote: I suggest you ignore the Beatles and instead buy all of Paul McCartney's Wings cds. Wings are the band the Beatles could've been if only that layabout John lennon had left the band back in the early 1960s.

Jet! woo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo. Jet!

Without John the Beatles would have never been big.

Any way the wind blows...
catqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
:)

Royalty: 1758 posts

Posted: 05 Jul 11, 14:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You have heard some.  Paulosham's list looks great... a few of my Beatles favourites are (in no order)
Love me do
hard days night
help!
ticket to ride
eight days a week
from me to you

You know the song 'we all live in a yellow submarine'?  That's Beatles lol.  They also made a couple of movies, which i think are hilarious, although i dont actually know anyone else who thinks they're overly funny lol.  My favourite of their movies is 'Hard Day's Night.'  Its black and white, and is hilarious.
Enjoy!

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 05 Jul 11, 15:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i think you've made a great choice to expand your music tastes in this direction....beatles are without any doubt in my mind the greatest band ever...much as queen will always be my favourites, the beatles are where it all started...and practically every band that followed drew some influence from or inspriation from the beatles.....they changed music forever..

enough of the boring spiel...you probably heard all that before

you want to really find out what they could do?

try these three albums:
rubber soul - great 3 minute pop tunes, just as they satrted their journey away from beat-pop
revolver - the real divergence and the beginning of the psychadelic movement
abbey rd - incredible album, great pieces of music intertwined with some great pop medleys

oh...and for good measure....give these singles a go  strawberry fields/penny lane, paperback writer/rain (first ever tune with backawrads instrumentation),

enjoy your quest...you'll find out that the beatles did with 8-track recording what many 70s/80s bands couldnt do with 24 tracks

go deo na hÉireann
YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 05 Jul 11, 16:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I am sure you have heard many Beatles songs without maybe realising. For example "All You Need Is Love", "Hey Jude", "She Loves You", "With A Little Help From My Friends" .

As a huge Beatles fan I can only suggest you get as many Beatles songs as you can:-) For a start I recommend an ealier album, for example "A Hard Days Night", a middle period album like Revolver or Rubber Soul and definitely "Sgt Pepper'sLonely HeartsClub Band" as well as the "White Album". Best would be to get them all :-)

I do not want any google ads here.

JoxerTheDeityPirate user not visiting Queenzone.com
JoxerTheDeityPirate
Deity: 6272 posts

Posted: 05 Jul 11, 17:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

am i the only one who starts with a debut album and then makes my way through the artists catelogue to the last album enjoying the journey the way it should be?
you dont start to watch a film halfway through...

isnt innuendo an italian suppository?

im gonna ride the wild wind!

its_a_hard_life wrote:you nutcase you rule!

joxer replies: but in a nice way :-]

Thistleboy1980 user not visiting Queenzone.com
You wanna ring the bell?
Thistleboy1980
Deity: 3053 posts

Posted: 05 Jul 11, 18:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Julia, the Beatles are great!  I was in Liverpool the other day and went to the Beatles Story Museum, it was awesome! My suggestion is to find a cheap copy of "1", which is a Beatles best of (27 of their number 1's from from around the World).  I can also guarantee that you've heard more than one of them lol :)

Once you've found the love, you can then buy my Beatles Stereo boxset off me!!! :))))

It ain't about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit: how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!
catqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
:)

Royalty: 1758 posts

Posted: 06 Jul 11, 12:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thistleboy 1980 wrote: Hey Julia, the Beatles are great!  I was in Liverpool the other day and went to the Beatles Story Museum, it was awesome! My suggestion is to find a cheap copy of "1", which is a Beatles best of (27 of their number 1's from from around the World).  I can also guarantee that you've heard more than one of them lol :)

Ya lucky yoke!  I wanna go there!!!
And yeah, 1 is a great compilation!

MadTheSwine73 user not visiting Queenzone.com
God Save The Queen
MadTheSwine73
Royalty: 1013 posts

Posted: 07 Jul 11, 00:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I actually started out with the Anthology series, and then bought Sgt. Pepper. Last year, I got the stereo box set for Christmas, and so I listened to Please Please Me first, and made my way to Past Masters.

Personally, I recommend Please Please Me first. Revolver, Sgt. Pepper and The White Album are their best, but to start off, it's always better to see how a band evolves.

The order I suggest:

Please Please Me
With The Beatles
Hard Day's Night
Beatles For Sale
Help!
Rubber Soul
Past Masters Vol. 1
Sgt. Pepper
Magical Mystery
The White Album
Past Masters Vol. 2
Let It Be
Abbey Road

However, the best albums (in my opinion) are:

1. Revolver
2. Sgt Pepper (close tie)
3. The White Album (close tie)
4. Rubber Soul
5. Magical Mystery Tour
6. Abbey Road
7. Past Masters Vols 1 & 2
8. Please Please Me
9. Help!
10. With The Beatles
11. A Hard Day's Night
12. Beatles For Sale
13. Let It Be

All of Revolver is perfect, even Love You Too. Main highlight is Tomorrow Never Knows.
Sgt. Pepper has one letdown, and that's Lovely Rita. Absolute crap. Main highlight is A Day In The Life.
The White Album has one letdown, and no, it's not Revolution 9. The song I hate is Why Don't We Do It In The Road?. Sure, it's funny, but what the hell was Paul smoking??? Main highlight is Cry Baby Cry or Helter Skelter depending on what you like.I prefer Cry Baby Cry.
Rubber Soul is close to perfect, with it's 2 letdowns being Drive My Car and I'm Looking Through You. Main highlight is In My Life.
Magical Mystery Tour is great, and the movie was hilarious. I don't like Fool on the Hill and Hello Goodbye. Main highlight is All You Need Is Love. No - it's Strawberry Fields Forever.
Abbey Road: The legendary. The medley was the letdown. I love the songs, but hate the concept. Highlight: Something.
Past Masters Vols 1 & 2 are great, but I hate Hey Jude more than I hate racism. Ok, that was a bit harsh, but you get my point. Main highlights: Rain & From Me To You.
Please Please Me. The first album. Some mistakes, like Anna and Misery. Highlight of the album: Twist and Shout!
Help!, one of the greatest soundtracks ever. Highlight: Help!
With The Beatles: George made the album even better. Highlights: You Really Got A Hold On Me & Hold Me Tight.
Beatles For Sale: Caca. The only good songs are I'm A Loser and No Reply.
Let It Be: People may hate me for putting LIB last, but it's my opinion, and I think it was their weakest point. The only highlights were Let It Be and Across The Universe. The Long and Winding Road is crap. The others were good, but nothing close to as good as (and I'm sorry, but it's my opinion) Kansas City/Hey-Hey-Hey-Hey!

Well, that's my opinion.

Any way the wind blows...
pittrek user is on Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10071 posts

Posted: 07 Jul 11, 01:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Get the compilation called "1". It contains all number 1 hits, it's great for a start