Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Roger Taylor

forum rss feed
Author

prescott2811 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 54 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Sep 10, 18:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Does any of you have a fav Roger Taylor solo song? N why?
And wha do you think of his music??

Paul Prescott
paulosham user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon
paulosham
Bohemian: 655 posts

Posted: 24 Sep 10, 21:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That's a tough one, I reckon it's between Beautiful Dreams and Good Times Are Now.  Overall I think he started off pretty good, Fun In Space is probably my favourite solo Queen release but I think he went downhill from there. I couldn't listen to much of The Cross and anything after that is, in my opinion, embarrassing.

I do listen to Two Sharp Pencils a lot.

Don't shun it!
GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts

Posted: 24 Sep 10, 23:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

paulsmith2001 wrote:

I do listen to Two Sharp Pencils a lot.
========================

Somewhat concerned.  Can I suggest the same prudent rules as for Q-Tips?

lifetimefanofqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
lifetimefanofqueen
Royalty: 1328 posts

Posted: 25 Sep 10, 07:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

man on fire
because it shows how i feel when im pissed off after some dick heads at school pissin me off or being pissed off with annoying people,
so its nice to have something that explains how u feel,
persificaly "sometimes i wanna burn down this crazy town"
and because Roger is so HOT in the video, not just because if the name of the song ;) lol

people on streets user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1303 posts

Posted: 25 Sep 10, 12:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Touch the sky

paulosham user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon
paulosham
Bohemian: 655 posts

Posted: 25 Sep 10, 13:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@ GratefulFan  Don't worry I have erasers in my ears.

I do love Future Management also.

Don't shun it!

Posted: 25 Sep 10, 15:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

aha I do have to agree with you on that 1

Paul Prescott

Posted: 25 Sep 10, 16:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Every1 I've come across always the say that Fun in space was his best, Yeah its a great album n i love how he manages to play EVERY instrument on the album.

My favouraite album that he has done is 'Happiness' because the lyrcs are so well put together, he really strips back.

Overall out of Freddie, Brian and Roger, Roger himself has to be the best at solo out of Queen any 1 think so??

Paul Prescott
lifetimefanofqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
lifetimefanofqueen
Royalty: 1328 posts

Posted: 25 Sep 10, 16:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

hey since were talkin about Rogers solo songs i am so annoyed that they have taken rogers solo album strange frontier off of itunes :O
so now i have to download them from youtube, but im plannin on gettin the album from play.com but dose anyone know if hmv might do them to? cus i could do with going somewere that isnt online if possible, damn itunes :(

Bo Rhap user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bo Rhap
Bohemian: 534 posts

Posted: 25 Sep 10, 17:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

lifetimefanofqueen wrote: hey since were talkin about Rogers solo songs i am so annoyed that they have taken rogers solo album strange frontier off of itunes :O
so now i have to download them from youtube, but im plannin on gettin the album from play.com but dose anyone know if hmv might do them to? cus i could do with going somewere that isnt online if possible, damn itunes :(

===============================================================================================

Dont know about hmv but i got mine from Amazon no problem.

The only cd of his that is hard to get is The Cross' Mad Bad And Dangerous To Know.

I never forget a face,

but in your case i'll be glad to

make an exception-Groucho Marx
Wiley user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1703 posts

Posted: 26 Sep 10, 00:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bo Rhap wrote:

The only cd of his that is hard to get is The Cross' Mad Bad And Dangerous To Know. ...................

But you can get lovely "Second editions" (FAKES) off eBay for only $6.99 USD!! :D

I bought TWO MBADTK CDs on eBay, one day apart from each other (I won both auctions), and both turned out to be fakes. They were very good fakes, though. I returned both but I am still waiting for one of the sellers to give me a refund :(.

Bo Rhap

Posted: 26 Sep 10, 05:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wiley wrote: Bo Rhap wrote:

The only cd of his that is hard to get is The Cross' Mad Bad And Dangerous To Know. ...................

But you can get lovely "Second editions" (FAKES) off eBay for only $6.99 USD!! :D

I bought TWO MBADTK CDs on eBay, one day apart from each other (I won both auctions), and both turned out to be fakes. They were very good fakes, though. I returned both but I am still waiting for one of the sellers to give me a refund :(.
===============================================================================================

Thats the reason why i wont go onto ebay for that.There's one on Amazon right now but at £50 odd pounds its a bit too pricey for a second hand cd.

I never forget a face,

Bo Rhap

Posted: 26 Sep 10, 06:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh i see that there is one at £24.95 used.A bit better price but still too pricey.

I never forget a face,

Jam Monkey user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jam Monkey
Bohemian: 663 posts

Posted: 26 Sep 10, 11:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mad, Bad is currently selling for £95 on eil.com, so I wouldn't complain about £25.

Contact me, I'm no Darth Vader: jam_monkey@hotmail.com
rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1566 posts

Posted: 29 Sep 10, 18:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like a lot of RT's solo material. Not every song is a favourite, but I like that he doesn't really try to sound like Queen, particularly Happiness? and Electric Fire. I think it's good that he just does what he wants and like the liner notes on Fun In Space, "If you don't like, sod you"...very Roger.

I view FIS and SF as sort of two sides of the same sci-fi coin. The Cross material I don't really think of as exclusively Roger. I like all three albums and think Blue Rock is excellent (it was the first Cross album I owned, so maybe I'm biased). Happiness? I already talked about it another thread, but I like it's laid back, reflective feel. Electric Fire took some time to grow on my as an album, but there were definately tracks I liked right off.

I have mixed feelings about "Woman, You're So Beautiful" and "The Unblinking Eye". The latter is a bit too topical for my tastes (not to mention political). I'm not really a fans of songs that make references to current events or people, because they date very quickly, like the album version of "People On Streets" (Rosanne Barr? Michael Jackson?). The "Mashed" mix is my preferred version there because there are fewer names dropped and still gets the point across.

Just my thoughts, anyway. Overall, I'm a Roger fan and look forward to his next album.

(Edit) Forgot to add my favourite RT song (note to self, stop rambling).

Beautiful Dreams

Runners up:
My Country I & II
Foreign Sand
Pressure ON