Forums > Queen - General Discussion > could Brian play drums?

forum rss feed
Author

lifetimefanofqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
lifetimefanofqueen
Royalty: 1328 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Oct 10, 13:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

heres a random question just off the top my my head,
could Brian play drums?
i know he could play many instruments but most from the string family, so thatr guitars, banjo, etc..........

Cyborg user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 01 Oct 10, 21:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think he played drums in FBI, a bonus track in Another World

http://www.mayniacs.com/discography/collaborations.html

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6326 posts

Posted: 02 Oct 10, 08:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not quite. Does singing 'Teo Torriatte' qualify as speaking Japanese?

Most drums by Brian are programmed rather than played. He certainly could (or can?) compose great drum bits, though he always needed someone else to play them for him (Cozy, Roger, Taylor, etc).

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Wiley user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts

Posted: 02 Oct 10, 10:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm sure he can keep a basic beat but that doesn't mean he can play drums professionally or even good enough to play sporadically on a record.
Personally, I think he would look too damn weird behind a drum kit... hell, he seems awkward every single time he's not behind a guitar. He doesn't know what to do with his hands.

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 04 Oct 10, 05:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I feel for Brian in that respect.  I know how it feels to look utterly bereft behind a mic and nothing else.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
e-man user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 697 posts

Posted: 04 Oct 10, 06:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the drums on "fbi" is cozy powell

brian stated in interviews around the time of AW that he (brian) could programme drums quite well. thus; I don't think he has played the drums on any recordings. I'm sure he's very capable of playing basic beats, but when he chooses to programme a drum track rather than laying it down with actual drums, I think that's an indication that he's not very skilled.

one thing that bugs me about another world is that some tracks feature programmed drums. why on earth you'd do that when you've got cozy powell I'll never know...

Sebastian

Posted: 04 Oct 10, 07:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

BTTL too... Driven By You album vs single says it all.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6256 posts

Posted: 04 Oct 10, 07:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

e-man wrote: one thing that bugs me about another world is that some tracks feature programmed drums. why on earth you'd do that when you've got cozy powell I'll never know...
=====

Two words: "the '90s".

The synthetic sound without the flatness of the 1980s was, for some inexplicable reason, considered desirable for a little while.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1566 posts

Posted: 04 Oct 10, 11:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Here's an interesting note from a Status Quo site:

F.B.I.
(credited to Peter Gormley, written by Hank Marvin/Bruce Welch/Jet Harris)
Performed by Brian May

Produced by: Brian May; Engineered & Co-produced by: Justin Shirley Smith

Line-up: Brian May (G, B, Keys, Drums and all other instruments), Francis Rossi (G), Rick Parfitt (G)

There has been a long-term relationship between Status Quo and Queen/Brian May, who guested on Status Quo's "Don't Stop" album. In return, Francis Rossi and Rick Parfitt recorded this old Shadows tune with Brian May. This recording was originally included on the Hank Marvin tribute "Twang!". Later it was a bonus track on Brian May's single "On My Way Up" and it has also been distributed on bootleg recordings.

The credits for this song were offically given to the Shadows' manager, Peter Gormley, as Marvin, Welch and Harris had been encountering some difficulties with their publishing contract at the time of the song's original release.

Single:
On My Way Up [3:13]
UK: EMI 7243 9 96058 7, 1998
(also featured on "Why Don't We Try Again?; Single, September 1998)

CD:
Twang! [3:13]
UK: Pangaea 7243 8 52710 2, 1996

Here's the link:
http://www.the-makers-of.info/mak_d.htm#F.B.I.

The site seems to be pretty thorough in terms of Status Quo and related tracks. There's no record on Cozy this track according them.

Sebastian

Posted: 04 Oct 10, 12:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No Cozy, but drums are most likely programmed/sampled, or played by someone else... or maybe they ARE Cozy and he didn't get credited. Reportedly, Brian did use samples for some Flash demos. You'd be surprised to find how many records have drums from sample libraries, for instance Demi Lovato's songs often have that, even though she had a very professional drummer in Dorian Cozier (for the albums, not the concerts). Without checking them very carefully, 99% of the people think they're authentic.

The Quo web probably took those credits from Bijou and/or first generation Queen websites (from late 90's), which assumed loads of things about who played what and who wrote what, most of which were true, but some of which were wrong... like Brian writing WIAWI, Roger writing Innuendo and so on.

e-man user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 697 posts

Posted: 04 Oct 10, 13:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

it's been a while since I've listened to it, so maybe I'll stand corrected. but I know I've read somewhere that Cozy played on "the b-sides" of AW. perhaps it was maybe baybe / only make believe?

on a related note, I'm reading a book about Rainbow at the moment ("English Castle Magic - highly recommended if you like rainbow / purple, or indeed, a good book on a good band) - and I never realized the respect Cozy enjoyed in the band. I thought he was just another musician for hire in the bad, but no

Cyborg user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 04 Oct 10, 18:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What does the Another World CD say about FBI? I don't have it.

I checked Queenpedia, and this is what I found.

http://www.queenpedia.com/index.php?title=F.B.I.

It contradicts the website I first posted, but I tend to trust Queenpedia much more than any random site. I agree with Sebastian that this must have been a mistake that was repeated over and over until it 'stuck'.

Simulator user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 40 posts

Posted: 04 Oct 10, 20:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, there is one Brian song I sometimes just listen to for the drums: Who Wants To Live Forever
According to www.queensongs.info it's a mixture of Roger, Drum Machine and drummer of the National Philharmonic Orchestra playing the drums.
Some time ago somebody mentioned here the difference between the video and the single version. Now listening to various versions I own of WWTLF I noticed a strange high instrument from approx 2:02 till 2:30 on the Korean karaoke version. Sounds somehow interesting. I couldn't hear that  on any other version. What is that ? Just a failure in karaoke remixing ?

rhyeking

Posted: 04 Oct 10, 20:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The thing about "FBI" is that it was not recorded as part of Brian's "Heroes" project, but for the Hank Marvin tribute Twang!, though he did plan to use it for his album later. When he decided to do "Heroes," a collection of covers, in 1996, he brought Neil Murray, Jamie Moses, Spike Edney and Cozy Powell into Allerton Hill and recorded "Slow Down," "Maybe Baby," "Only Make Believe" and "Marie's The Name" (and possibly other, yet-released, tracks).

Wiley user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts

Posted: 05 Oct 10, 09:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote: I feel for Brian in that respect.  I know how it feels to look utterly bereft behind a mic and nothing else.
--------------

At first glance, I read "erect" instead of "bereft" in your post.

I guess that also falls into the "feeling uncomfortable behind a microphone" category.

bobo the chimp

Posted: 06 Oct 10, 05:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well that really depends on the individual!

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
rhyeking

Posted: 06 Oct 10, 11:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Simulator wrote: Well, there is one Brian song I sometimes just listen to for the drums: Who Wants To Live Forever
According to www.queensongs.info it's a mixture of Roger, Drum Machine and drummer of the National Philharmonic Orchestra playing the drums.
Some time ago somebody mentioned here the difference between the video and the single version. Now listening to various versions I own of WWTLF I noticed a strange high instrument from approx 2:02 till 2:30 on the Korean karaoke version. Sounds somehow interesting. I couldn't hear that  on any other version. What is that ? Just a failure in karaoke remixing ?
++++++++++++++++++++++

There was subtle remixing on many or all of the tracks on Greatest Karaoke Hits. I've noticed it on "Flash," "Bicycle Race," "Hammer To Fall" and others. Little elements are there that either are buried down in the original mix or are completely absent, yet appear on the karaoke mix (listen for the piano at the beginning of "Bicycle Race").

I don't think it's a failure, just a subtle remixing, and I like hearing something a little different.

bobo the chimp

Posted: 06 Oct 10, 16:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He was a better drummer than Roger.  He actually played on Liar, Great King Rat, and Dead on Time.

rhapsody8 user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhapsody8
Bohemian: 722 posts

Posted: 28 Oct 10, 09:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Get your head down baby - we're gonna ride tonight...
rhapsody8 user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhapsody8
Bohemian: 722 posts

Posted: 28 Oct 10, 09:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Of course he could :)

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/524/ph022q.jpg

Get your head down baby - we're gonna ride tonight...