Forums > Queen - General Discussion > The Ultimate Queen Song

forum rss feed
Author

Gypsygirl user not visiting Queenzone.com
Gypsygirl
Rocker: 18 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Oct 10, 12:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What is the Ultimate Queen Song? Vote Now!!!!!!

rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1566 posts

Posted: 06 Oct 10, 13:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just for fun, I'll pick a Queen song for each actual definition of the word "ultimate".

From Dictionary.com we get:

–adjective
last; furthest or farthest; ending a process or series

Answer: Debatable, depending on when you consider Queen issued it's last/latest recorded work, do you end with "No One But You" or Q+PR's cover "Runaway"? For the purpose of the classic line-up, I'll go with "No One But You (Only Good Die Young)" 

maximum; decisive; conclusive

Answer: "Innuendo". Queen's last great epic masterpiece. Like much of their work, they do not flinch when challenging listeners with their music.

highest; not subsidiary: ultimate goal in life.

Answer: It's tempting to say "We Are The Champions", but that's a bit too literal, I think. I'd go with "Don't Stop Me Now", which I think truly expresses much of what the band was about, that of just having a good time, making music people enjoy and celebrating life.

basic; fundamental; representing a limit beyond which further progress, as in investigation or analysis, is impossible

Answer: Hmm, tough one. I'd go with "We Will Rock You," which has become so ingrained in our culture, particularly sporting events, that you'd be hard-pressed to find a man or women in the developed world who does not know it, even if they don't know who Queen is. It's so simple and catchy, and for what it is, it's perfect.

final; total: the ultimate consequences; the ultimate cost of a project.

Answer: The sum of their work...their legacy...well, I think there's a reason "We Are The Champions" closed their live shows. It is a joyous rally song and what they wanted to at the end of the day to leave their fans with. It's easy to forget just how great this song is.

not to be improved upon or surpassed; greatest; unsurpassed: the ultimate vacation spot; the ultimate stupidity.

Answer: "Bohemian Rhapsody". Over-exposed as it is, it is arguably the quintessential Queen song for fans and the general public alike, containing all their trademarks and representing the risks they were willing to take exploring unconventional musical directions.

I'm curious about others' choices.

lifetimefanofqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
lifetimefanofqueen
Royalty: 1328 posts

Posted: 06 Oct 10, 14:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

EVERY SONG! THEIR ALL AMAZING! :D

Ingame user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 3 posts

Posted: 06 Oct 10, 14:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd go for The Prophet's Song. It's the longest running of all Queen songs (not counting the untitled hidden track ending Made in Heaven), and it's got that truly "epic" feeling only a very few songs (even Queen songs) got. Too bad it's so unknown outside places like this forum.

Gypsygirl user not visiting Queenzone.com
Gypsygirl
Rocker: 18 posts

Posted: 06 Oct 10, 14:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love The Prophet's Song and it is one of my absolute favourites but I think Bohemian Rhapsody is the Ultimate Queen Song.

lifetimefanofqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
lifetimefanofqueen
Royalty: 1328 posts

Posted: 06 Oct 10, 15:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

omg i like the prophets song to, i was listenin to it on the way to the shrink  the other day and i was worried so listened to the phrophets song and the vocals are so comforting, i hadnt listened to it in a while so it was realy special, and lifted me up :)

david (galashiels) user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2017 posts

Posted: 06 Oct 10, 16:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

its late

paulosham user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon
paulosham
Bohemian: 655 posts

Posted: 06 Oct 10, 19:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What Dave said. for pure power It's Late kicks ass. it's the one song that when I play it to people who have never heard it before, they say "why have I never heard that song before, it's great" Queen at their best.

Don't shun it!
ITSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1019 posts

Posted: 06 Oct 10, 20:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My Fairy King or Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy, maybe...?

Chuck Norris never sleeps, he waits...
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18453 posts

Posted: 07 Oct 10, 01:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The ultimate Queen song is Bohemian Rhapsody, hands down.  As fans we may want to pick more obscure material due to the over-exposure of the well-known material, but few can deny that Bohemian Rhapsody encompasses everything that Queen were about - strong melodies and harmonies, genre-crossing, the Hamlet's soliloquy of guitar solos that sings like no other, using the studio to the absolute fullest capabilities of its time, and complexity that was fully accessible for mass appeal... not to mention its record-breaking and its innovation in the world of promo videos... all of which has created its legacy.  No other Queen song comes remotely close.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
paulosham

Posted: 07 Oct 10, 07:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Says you

Don't shun it!
The Real Wizard

Posted: 07 Oct 10, 11:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ok, in 100 years let's come back to this discussion and we'll see what the answer is.  Thanks for your thoughtful response.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

mike hunt user is on Queenzone.com

Deity: 2744 posts

Posted: 07 Oct 10, 12:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote: Ok, in 100 years let's come back to this discussion and we'll see what the answer is.  Thanks for your thoughtful response.

Don't need another 100 years.   The answer is obvious, history already say's Bo Rhap is the ultimate Queen song.

paulosham

Posted: 07 Oct 10, 14:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In 100 years Fun It will be regarded as the greatest Queen song ever and there will be 20ft statues of Spike Edney in every city in the land.

Don't shun it!
matt z user not visiting Queenzone.com
this is not my display message
matt z
Deity: 2737 posts

Posted: 07 Oct 10, 15:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

paulsmith2001 wrote: In 100 years Fun It will be regarded as the greatest Queen song ever and there will be 20ft statues of Spike Edney in every city in the land.

SOunds great!

Don't Shun it... FUN IT!?

(BTW: did spike end all war?....cure cancer?)

"A world without preposterous prepositions could only be the best ...... world. "
people on streets user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1303 posts

Posted: 07 Oct 10, 18:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

March Of The Black Queen!

Fuck Bo Rhap ;-)

jamster1111 user not visiting Queenzone.com
jamster1111
Bohemian: 844 posts

Posted: 07 Oct 10, 22:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SirGH: Of course people are going to disagree with you. The people who disagree with you are most likely disagreeing because they think they wouldn't sound like a "real" queen fan if they say one of their most overplayed songs in their greatest. However, you can't argue the fact that it is their best work and that is saying a lot because most of their songs with were genius. Bohemian Rhapsody might not just be Queen's greatest song but the greatest song ever written.

It's late, but it's time to set me free

It's late, yes I know but there's no way it has to be

Too late, so let the fire take our bodies this night

So late, so let the waters take our guilt in the t
Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3169 posts

Posted: 07 Oct 10, 23:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The ultimate Queen song is the Rhapsody of the Bohemian.

I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
The Real Wizard

Posted: 08 Oct 10, 02:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jamster1111 wrote:

The people who disagree with you are most likely disagreeing because they think they wouldn't sound like a "real" queen fan if they say one of their most overplayed songs in their greatest.

Yeah, exactly.  But Queen is a rare breed in the sense that their best known work (A Night At The Opera, and particularly BoRhap) is actually their best work.  Artists more often than not are remembered for a song or album that was popular, but not necessarily their best.

spandan user not visiting Queenzone.com
spandan
Champion: 69 posts

Posted: 08 Oct 10, 04:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My "favourite" Queen song keeps on changing, but I guess Bohemian Rhapsody definitely takes the crown for the "Ultimate" Queen song.

Its actually not very common here in Nepal, everyone has heard WWRY, most have heard Break Free, Show Must Go On, many have heard Champions, but Bo Rhap isn't very common here.

"MTV is not my cup of tea. Mainly because I don't like huge pieces of shit in my tea"