Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Common Misconceptions About Queen That Piss Me Off

forum rss feed
Author

jamster1111 user not visiting Queenzone.com
jamster1111
Bohemian: 844 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Oct 10, 22:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Here are things that piss me off the most regarding people's stupidity towards Queen.

1. When people spell his name "Freddy

-It's not that hard to spell Freddie

2. When people say that Freddie was gay

-He was not gay. He was mostly straight but had a few relationships with men over the years and his last relationship was with a man. I guess the correct and closest term would be "bisexual".

3. When people say have no idea who the hell the other band members are besides Freddie and Brian

4. When people label Freddie as a rock singer

5. When people think that long haired Freddie and moustached Freddie were two different people.


It's late, but it's time to set me free

It's late, yes I know but there's no way it has to be

Too late, so let the fire take our bodies this night

So late, so let the waters take our guilt in the t
Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3184 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Oct 10, 22:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

amusing


I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3184 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Oct 10, 22:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Gregsynth wrote: jamster1111 wrote: Here are things that piss me off the most regarding people's stupidity towards Queen.

1. When people spell his name "Freddy

-It's not that hard to spell Freddie

2. When people say that Freddie was gay

-He was not gay. He was mostly straight but had a few relationships with men over the years and his last relationship was with a man. I guess the correct and closest term would be "bisexual".

3. When people say have no idea who the hell the other band members are besides Freddie and Brian

4. When people label Freddie as a rock singer

5. When people think that long haired Freddie and moustached Freddie were two different people.
============

1. Haha. But typing 2 other letters is hard work
2. Bisexual is correct
3. Agree. It's not that hard to remember Roger Deacon and John Taylor
4. What the hell?
5. LOL! Actually you are correct: Freddie wasn't not a rock singer. He was a singer named Freddie (not Freddy), who was bisexual, and had 3 other people in the same group, and had multiple looks.


I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
jamster1111 user not visiting Queenzone.com
jamster1111
Bohemian: 844 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Oct 10, 22:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

1. You're a synth
2. You're a synth
3. You're a synth
4. You're a synth
5. You're a synth

There. I win again.


It's late, but it's time to set me free

It's late, yes I know but there's no way it has to be

Too late, so let the fire take our bodies this night

So late, so let the waters take our guilt in the t
Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3184 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Oct 10, 22:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fine.


I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
jamster1111 user not visiting Queenzone.com
jamster1111
Bohemian: 844 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Oct 10, 23:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ahhhhh and another argument which I have won. Just gimme the prize already :)


It's late, but it's time to set me free

It's late, yes I know but there's no way it has to be

Too late, so let the fire take our bodies this night

So late, so let the waters take our guilt in the t
Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3184 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Oct 10, 00:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Don't "drowse" during the making of your video.


I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Oct 10, 02:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That Freddie was gay is not a "misconception" at all - he was gay. Why is it so hard to accept such a simple fact? The fact that he had sexual relationships with women before he came out, does not mean he was "bisexual" . You would not call Elton John or Kenny Everett  "bisexual" because they both were  married before coming out, would you? In the 1970s it was not so easy for a gay man to accept his sexual orientation or even to live it in public. But today we should not continue to live in denial and we should accept Freddie for what he was: a gay man and great artist.


I do not want any google ads here.

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Oct 10, 05:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jamster1111 wrote:

Here are things that piss me off the most regarding people's stupidity towards Queen.

1. When people spell his name "Freddy

-It's not that hard to spell Freddie

2. When people say that Freddie was gay

-He was not gay. He was mostly straight but had a few relationships with men over the years and his last relationship was with a man. I guess the correct and closest term would be "bisexual".

3. When people say have no idea who the hell the other band members are besides Freddie and Brian

4. When people label Freddie as a rock singer

5. When people think that long haired Freddie and moustached Freddie were two different people.


1. His name was Farrokh
2. He was gay. Having sex with 2 women and a couple of dozens of men doesn't make you straight nor bi.
3. That's normal. People identify EVERY band with their singers. Even YOU are doing it - your title and first sentence say about "Queen" but in point 1 you say "when people spell HIS name Freddy"
4. He was a rock singer.
5. I never heard about a person on this planet who thinks that

spandan user not visiting Queenzone.com
spandan
Champion: 69 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Oct 10, 05:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

1. Well I don't HATE it when people write "Freddy", although I definitely prefer Freddie. Farookh, Freddie, Freddy, Frederiek, whatever,...
2. I think he WAS gay. He had relationships with women too, but later on he did only men. If he was bi, he'd do both men and women till later his life. I don't know how this is a problem - I mean I'm never going to be gay, but I don't see any problem with anyone who is.
3. Yes, not many people know about all the members of Queen.
4. Freddie Mercury IS a rock singer. Sure he did many other styles but he is definitely a rock singer who also did other styles.
5. Yes, I've met people who think that.

And things that bother me are:
1. People only listening to songs like "We Will Rock You" and not giving any other Queen songs a listen.
2. A lot of people seem to have an unreasonable bias against Queen.
3. People thinking Queen are overrated just because some songs are played often.


"MTV is not my cup of tea. Mainly because I don't like huge pieces of shit in my tea"
paulosham user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon
paulosham
Bohemian: 659 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Oct 10, 06:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The only thing I hate is when people call A Kind Of Magic , it's a kind of magic.

Anyone who thinks that Fred was straight or bisexual is Floating Baby Moses.


Don't shun it!
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6328 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Oct 10, 06:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with Barb: why is Freddie's homosexuality so hard to accept by people? Does it make him less of a musician? Does it devalue his masterpieces? 'Twas his bloody life and choice, get over it.


John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
coops user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 403 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Oct 10, 08:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So you don't get out much anymore do you?

rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1566 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Oct 10, 09:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Most casual fans and general public types I know (which are people who like music, know songs, but don't know much or anything about the actual bands) don't have an issue with Freddie being gay. What is amusing to me how often these people assume the rest of the band was gay as well. I've encountered it a lot: "Queen? They were all gay, right?" I usually just correct them with: "No, the singer was. The rest are married and have kids" and leave it at that (I can't be bothered giving them detailed biographies).

It's also amusing when they INSIST that "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" was cover of an Elvis song.

Or when they think I'm screwing with them when I tell them that, yes, "Bohemian Rhapsody," "Another One Bites The Dust," "We Will Rock You," "We Are The Champions," and "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" are all by the same band.

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Oct 10, 11:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Saying Fred was not gay because he once slept with some girls is a bit like saying Kurt Cobain is not dead because he was once alive.


"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
Thistleboy1980 user not visiting Queenzone.com
You wanna ring the bell?
Thistleboy1980
Deity: 3057 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Oct 10, 11:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

rhyeking wrote:

It's also amusing when they INSIST that "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" was cover of an Elvis song.

BUT IT WAS.  I INSIST.  ELVIS WROTE IT IN THE BATH OR WHEN HE WAS IN BED OR SOMETHING.  GEEZ.

Or when they think I'm screwing with them when I tell them that, yes, "Bohemian Rhapsody," "Another One Bites The Dust," "We Will Rock You," "We Are The Champions," and "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" are all by the same band.

BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY WAS A ROLF HARRIS SONG, LATER COVERED BY KWEEN (THAT FREDDY BLOKE AND HIS OTHER GAY CHUMS) THEN THE BRAIDS.  WE WILL ROCK YOU IS A MUSICAL, BASED ON THE LIFE OF BEN ELTON. IT IS A LONG-RUNNING THING IN LONDON, YOU SHOULD CHECK IT OUT.  ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST IS BY HAITI PRESIDENT WYCLEFF JEAN, AND WAS LATER COVERED BY MIAMI PROJECT.  WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS WAS ORIGINALLY BY THE FAT DANCER OFF TAKE THAT AND WAS LATER REMASTERED FOR THE X-FACTOR.  CRAZY LITTLE THING CALLED LOVE IS BY ELVIS.  THAT'S PRESLEY, NOT COSTELLO - HE WAS THE FAT ONE FROM ABBOTT AND COSTELLO.

I've used CAPS because I'm shouting at you, Rhyeking.


It ain't about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit: how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!
rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1566 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Oct 10, 12:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've heard crazier theories!

Like Marilyn Manson is actually Josh Saviano from The Wonder Years (he's not). Or that the moon landing were faked (they weren't).

A personal favourite Queen misconception is that BoRhap is about Freddie facing his imminent death. I chalk this up to confusion resulting from the song's 1991/1992 re-issue, Freddie's death, Waynes's World and the Tribute Concert all happening in a short period.

The funniest misconception I ever heard was a guy who insisted that Queen and Queensryche are the same band. I wish I had tape-recorded this guy's elaborate explanation has to how this was possible because it was truly inspired (and complete lunacy!).

Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3184 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Oct 10, 14:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie has said himself that he was bisexual in one quote (and said to Mary that he was "bi"), then he says "gay"  in another. The thing with Elton John, was that he first said he was "bi" in 1976, then marries a woman in 1984, then they get divorced because Elton said he was truely happier with a man instead--then he comes out as gay in 1988.

With Freddie, he's always said that Mary was his "true love" and that no man could replace her. I personally don't believe he was 100% gay, but rather on the "gay" side of bisexual. Sure he had more male relationships than female relationships, but I think Freddie just wanted love and someone who he could trust (either gender).


I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
YannickJoker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 297 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Oct 10, 14:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddy was very gay.

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Oct 10, 14:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Gregsynth wrote: Freddie has said himself that he was bisexual in one quote (and said to Mary that he was "bi"), then he says "gay"  in another. The thing with Elton John, was that he first said he was "bi" in 1976, then marries a woman in 1984, then they get divorced because Elton said he was truely happier with a man instead--then he comes out as gay in 1988.

With Freddie, he's always said that Mary was his "true love" and that no man could replace her. I personally don't believe he was 100% gay, but rather on the "gay" side of bisexual. Sure he had more male relationships than female relationships, but I think Freddie just wanted love and someone who he could trust (either gender).
Freddie was gay!.....or else he would have stayed with mary. The love of his life.   People close to him even said that he was Gay.  Mary and the other woman (forget her name)  both said it in the freddie documentry.  both obviously a lot closer to the man than we are.   He loved mary, but not in a physical way,