Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Was It All Worth It -- Queen's last great song?

forum rss feed
Author

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4685 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Oct 10, 04:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Here's what it says on Wiki:

"Was It All Worth It" was composed by Mercury. The song harks back to the band's intricately-produced sound in the 1970s. Though the bulk of the song was masterminded by Mercury, all members contributed ideas and lyrics (for example - Taylor contributed the line "we love you madly!"). Deacon later cited the song as his favourite on the album. Taylor uses a gong and Timpani.

Not sure how acurate any of that is but it sounds like a Mercury composition to me. I love this song. There are only two great songs on The Miracle, Scandal and this one. Was It All Worth It is a great big celebration of life and a retrospective comment on their career as a group. It has some excellent riffing by Brian (who had rediscovered some of his gunslinger attitude -- now sadly gone again) and some interesting, if at times, silly lyrics. But I love most of all Fred's understated conclusion -- 'Yes, it was a worthwhile experience!' -- which is a  very 'English' way of doing things (e.g. no American 'awesomes' or 'it was like totally worth it man) ;) Too many Bristih bands slip into that mid-Atlantic drawl/phrasing, and Queen occasionally did it too (Bicycle Race), but here it's just ... nice. Queen's last great song imo.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
FlorianS user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 248 posts

Posted: 13 Oct 10, 05:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In my opinion innuendo also offers some great songs, but was it all worth it is one of my alltime favorites and clearly the best song on the miracle TO ME and the best song queen did in the 80s. I think it would have been kind of freddies bequest if they would not have recorded innuendo.

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10025 posts

Posted: 13 Oct 10, 05:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Last great song ? Have you ever heard about a masterpiece song called "Innuendo" ?

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12697 posts

Posted: 13 Oct 10, 05:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Last great song of the 80's.  Put it this way; if he'd died an even more untimely death and never completed the Innuendo album, this would be the one people would remember as his 'farewell'.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4685 posts

Posted: 13 Oct 10, 06:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote: Last great song ? Have you ever heard about a masterpiece song called "Innuendo" ?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I don't rate Innuendo that highly. It is certainly interesting and different, but not great. The main guitar riff is a simple 3-chord flamenco riff, for example, and not on a par with Bo Rap, MotBQ etc. Of course, simple doesn't always equal lesser quality, and it's mostly a matter of opinion. If you think innuendo is great, good for you. It's certainly ambitious, but the bridge in the middle sounds a litle too much like figure skating music for my tastes :)

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
cmsdrums user is on Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 2957 posts

Posted: 13 Oct 10, 07:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's a great, indeed fabulous, song, and one of only a few more 'traditional' Queen songs of the later years (if there is such a thing). Strong, brilliantly played, well thought out, and lyrically tongue in cheek.  The Show Must Go On has to be their last truly great 'epic' though??

These Are The Days Of Our Lives is a great song (as is A Winter's Tale), but in different ways, but unfortunately the material on the last couple of albums is difficult to judge objectively sometimes due to the circumstances we know existed at teh time of the writing and recording.

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2756 posts

Posted: 13 Oct 10, 07:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Was it all worth it queen's last great song?.....The answer is obviously no for most queen fans.   have you ever heard Innuendo?......the show must go on?........These are the day's of our lives?....shit, even I'm going slightly mad is great IMO.   The song itself is great, love the middle section.  The lryics?.....well,  a bit silly in parts, but not horrible.   The best song on the miracle, but that's not saying much.   Other songs that compete with this great (but not the last great) song on that album are scandal,  Breakthru, I want it all.  Maybe the title track.

Rotwang user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 296 posts

Posted: 13 Oct 10, 11:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It is a great song and I like the arrangement.  However, I think the lyrics resemble those of "Sleeping on the Sidewalk" a little too closely to really consider them a retrospective of their career.  The main line I can think of is the use of the trumpet:  "We bought a drumkit, I blew my own trumpet" and "He took me to a room without a table, said 'blow your trumpet into here'.  Musically and lyrically, I think Scandal is a better track but, like you said, they kind of went back to their arranging and recording roots on this one.

"You Can Be Anything You Want To Be"
Graeme Arnott user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 110 posts

Posted: 13 Oct 10, 12:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Blew my own trumpet is a saying we english use to mean sing my own praises Ie Freddie telling everybody how Good Queen were.

Rotwang user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 296 posts

Posted: 13 Oct 10, 12:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I never realized that.  Thanks for clearing it up.

"You Can Be Anything You Want To Be"
Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4792 posts

Posted: 13 Oct 10, 15:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Don't Try So Hard is a masterpiece. I like it more than Innuendo.

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

thunderbolt 31742 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thunderbolt 31742
Bohemian: 647 posts

Posted: 13 Oct 10, 18:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's definitely Queen's best song of the 1980's, kind of a final farewell to the '70s sound which was absent on Innuendo (the album).

That said, Innuendo was a great album with some great songs on it, and I'm not sure Worth It was their *last* great one...strong cases could be made for Innuendo (the song) and The Show Must Go On. Personally, I'd rate TSMGO as their last great song, with Worth It being their last great rocker.

"Do you think I should keep this mustache? Did you say no? F--- off."
Amazon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 996 posts

Posted: 14 Oct 10, 00:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No, I don't consider WIWI to be Queen's last great song. Innuendo had several great songs; These are the Days of our Lives, The Show Must Go On, Bijou (I don't consider Innuendo to be great), while Made In Heaven also had several great songs; Let Me Live, Heaven For Everyone, TMLWKY. No-one But You was also IMO a fantastic song.

Zebonka12 wrote: "Last great song of the 80's. Put it this way; if he'd died an even more untimely death and never completed the Innuendo album, this would be the one people would remember as his 'farewell'."

I would agree with that, if only because as WIAWI was the last song on The Miracle and I do consider it to be a great song.

It's an amazing song, and it is certainly one of Queen's most underappreciated songs. Is it their best song off The Miracle? I don't think so. I would argue that I Want It All was. Scandal, Breakthru, the title track, and even Rain Must Fall were also terrific. On that note, am I the only person who considers The Miracle to be among Queen's most underrated albums? :D

alaynasusan user not visiting Queenzone.com
alaynasusan
Champion: 69 posts

Posted: 14 Oct 10, 03:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't know about The Miracle being underrated, everything after A Kind of Magic gets a lot less spin time in my stereo mostly because it just stopped feeling like Queen to me, give or take a few songs. Considering the circumstances I guess it's bittersweet to listen to anything from that time period. When I'm listening News of the World or A Day at the Races, I'm in my own little world where Freddie is very much alive and in his prime.

"A lot of people call this song Spread Your Legs. It started off being called Spread Your Wings, but you can call it what you'd like." -Freddie Mercury
*goodco* user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1121 posts

Posted: 14 Oct 10, 09:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

'Was It All Worth It' seemed so hypocrital on an album of non 'rock' songs.  Get rid of a few, throw on the b-sides, and it would have been more 'epic'.  Does that make sense?

As to 'wiki'.....as to 'The Miracle' LP, it's listed that the original title was planned as 'The Invisible Man'.  I was right next to Jackie Smith this summer during a bit of trivia, and she and most of us laughed at that suggestion.  As for the band, it's listed that BoRhap was the first 6 minute plus song to make it to #1.  A)  It was less than 6 minutes.  B)  Ever heard of 'Hey Jude'?  C)  BoRhap was a ground breaking video.  How was that?  The Beatles did Paperback Writer and Rain in '66 as promo videos, when they quit appearing on various TV shows.  What about Strawberry Fields and Pennylane a year later?  Hell, go to youtube and check out Alice Cooper's 'Elected'.  Aired originally on ABC TV's 'In Concert' (blacked out in many markets due to the fear factor of many station managers........I watched it on a UHF station because of this),  the night Alice performed 'School's Out', 'Gutter Cats vs. The Jets', and 'Killer', ...if that ain't a promo video, and if that ain't before BoRhap was released, well..........

Also, I always thought that WIAWI was a Brian/Freddie collaboration.  Sounds more Brian to me.

Moving on.....Other than 'Delilah', all of 'Innuendo' is superb.  'The Show Must Go On' far outshines The Miracle closer.

As to MIH, 'Let Me Live' still blows my socks off.  Guitar, BVs, and Freddie, Brian, and Roger doing LVs.  Finally !!!!

Now, to answer the question, their last great song was MIH, Track 12.  Succinct, to the point, easy to karaoke, air guitar and drum, positive lyrics,  and totally unforgettable.  Can't get the lyrics out  of my head.  Track 13 lingers on about 15 minutes too long.

"Discretionary posting is the better part of valor." Falstaff
prescott2811 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 54 posts

Posted: 14 Oct 10, 11:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Was it all worth - Queens greatest last song??

It all depends on how you look at? In what I mean by this is the fact the song is typical Queen heavey rock, heavey lyrics, and even a middle instrumental part with violins in it type of song.
It is up there with the greatest Queen songs of the 80s..
Of course we have things like, Another 1 bits the dust, Radio ga ga, A kind of magic, Under Pressure, Las palabras de armor, Scandal, Hammer to fall, Who wants to live forever, All great songs of the 80s.

To me Was it all worth it is 1 of those songs I forget about unless I play through the mircale itself. It should of been released as single like all other great Queen album tracks.

As rating it I'd give it 10/10

Paul Prescott
*goodco* user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1121 posts

Posted: 14 Oct 10, 12:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

'Was It All Worth It' was released as a Dutch single, same time as the Greatest Sh*ts III was released, with the Up rah rah crap mix included on it.

"Discretionary posting is the better part of valor." Falstaff
Sith user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sith

Posted: 14 Oct 10, 15:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Graeme Arnott wrote: Blew my own trumpet is a saying we english use to mean sing my own praises Ie Freddie telling everybody how Good Queen were. Agreed, In America we say "Toot my own horn".

rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1566 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 10, 09:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Was It All Worth It"

Great song? Definately!

Last great song? No, others followed!

I'm sure there was a certain amount of autobiography in there, but I also think, like many of their songs, they were being somewhat tongue-in-cheek with it, poking a bit of fun at their legacy and experience as rock stars.

"Yes, it was a worthwhile experience!"  = awesome, hilarious understatement!

Martin Packer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 518 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 10, 15:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@Zebonka12 I'd go further than that... I reckon WIAWI was written with a fairly strong EXPECTATION it might be the closer on the last album. That Innuendo got made was probably not a given. They'd not have known how fast Freddie might fade.

As for the track itself I adore it - even the bits others don't like (including the "corporate jingle" / "iceskating music" piece.)

And I'm pleased others have highlighted Scandal - it's a tremendously powerful "from the heart" song.

Nobody's mentioned "Breakthru".

Martin