Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Top 10 Greatest Queen Concerts of All Time

forum rss feed
Author

jamster1111 user not visiting Queenzone.com
jamster1111
Bohemian: 844 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Oct 10, 13:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've been wanting to do this for a long time and I finally got around to making it. Here is a video of Queen's top 10 greatest concerts descending from number 10. For each concert I included little snippets from the show. Obviously I couldn't show you eery song from each concert in a 15 minute video, and there were many other great moments from each show, so I highly recommend that you check them out on your own.

This is not a list of my favorite queen concerts but rather a list of what I believe to be their greatest gigs. This process took a tremendous amount of analyzing, observing, and thinking but in the end, I feel like I've made a fair, unbiased list which you all will like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a4r1HAhBuw


It's late, but it's time to set me free

It's late, yes I know but there's no way it has to be

Too late, so let the fire take our bodies this night

So late, so let the waters take our guilt in the t
Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3169 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Oct 10, 12:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Great video!


I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10014 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Oct 10, 12:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Funny, I consider 8 of them to be "average" :-)  But nice piece of work. Can I ask in which software did you create the slideshows ?

jamster1111 user not visiting Queenzone.com
jamster1111
Bohemian: 844 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Oct 10, 12:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I used imovie to create the video. Please tell me why you consider 8 of them to be average


It's late, but it's time to set me free

It's late, yes I know but there's no way it has to be

Too late, so let the fire take our bodies this night

So late, so let the waters take our guilt in the t
Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3169 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Oct 10, 16:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I never really thought the gigs you picked were "average."

It seems like you picked the best (or at least close to best) concerts from various eras--and I can see why you did.


I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10014 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Oct 10, 02:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for the info. Well to be honest, "greatest" is a really a subjective term. You can't be 100 % objective, it really depends on your criteria to "greatest".

And of course, don't forget that not everybody's performance was equal each evening. For example 25.April 1979 - Freddie sounds really shitty, but all the other members play at their 150% to save the day.  Or don't forget that Brian used to break strings from time to time, Freddie used to forget lyrics or his voice used to crack badly - Gregsynth definitely knows what I mean :-)

Please don't take my comment as critics, just as an alternate opinion :-)

Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3169 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Oct 10, 09:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote: Thanks for the info. Well to be honest, "greatest" is a really a subjective term. You can't be 100 % objective, it really depends on your criteria to "greatest".

And of course, don't forget that not everybody's performance was equal each evening. For example 25.April 1979 - Freddie sounds really shitty, but all the other members play at their 150% to save the day.  Or don't forget that Brian used to break strings from time to time, Freddie used to forget lyrics or his voice used to crack badly - Gregsynth definitely knows what I mean :-)

Please don't take my comment as critics, just as an alternate opinion :-)
==============

Freddie never forget lyrics or cracked live! He was just experimenting on stage with different ideas on stage! :)


I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
Wiley user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1703 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Oct 10, 10:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

His funniest "experiments" live were when he went for the high note in the intro to "It's a Hard Life"... :)

Did he EVER nail that intro? That's tough!

From the recordings I remember listening to his voice always cracks or he just sings it an octave lower, with Roger singing the high note.

Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3169 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Oct 10, 14:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wiley wrote: His funniest "experiments" live were when he went for the high note in the intro to "It's a Hard Life"... :)

Did he EVER nail that intro? That's tough!

From the recordings I remember listening to his voice always cracks or he just sings it an octave lower, with Roger singing the high note.
==============================

Freddie did nail the intro a few times:

Brussels 1984
Dublin 1984
First two Birmingham gigs of 1984
Stuttgart (all falsetto though)
First Rio (all falsetto though)
First 3 Japan 1985 gigs (first part is nailed in full voice--then goes down an octave on the second part)!

There ya go!


I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
jamster1111 user not visiting Queenzone.com
jamster1111
Bohemian: 844 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 Dec 10, 00:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pittrek: Which 8 do you consider to be average?


It's late, but it's time to set me free

It's late, yes I know but there's no way it has to be

Too late, so let the fire take our bodies this night

So late, so let the waters take our guilt in the t
Silken user not visiting Queenzone.com
Silken
Bohemian: 271 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 Dec 10, 11:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Gregsynth wrote: Wiley wrote: His funniest "experiments" live were when he went for the high note in the intro to "It's a Hard Life"... :)

Did he EVER nail that intro? That's tough!

From the recordings I remember listening to his voice always cracks or he just sings it an octave lower, with Roger singing the high note.
==============================

Freddie did nail the intro a few times:

Brussels 1984
Dublin 1984
First two Birmingham gigs of 1984
Stuttgart (all falsetto though)
First Rio (all falsetto though)
First 3 Japan 1985 gigs (first part is nailed in full voice--then goes down an octave on the second part)!

There ya go!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How do you do to remember all this stuff (and more)? :)

Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3169 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 Dec 10, 13:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Silken wrote: Gregsynth wrote: Wiley wrote: His funniest "experiments" live were when he went for the high note in the intro to "It's a Hard Life"... :)

Did he EVER nail that intro? That's tough!

From the recordings I remember listening to his voice always cracks or he just sings it an octave lower, with Roger singing the high note.
==============================

Freddie did nail the intro a few times:

Brussels 1984
Dublin 1984
First two Birmingham gigs of 1984
Stuttgart (all falsetto though)
First Rio (all falsetto though)
First 3 Japan 1985 gigs (first part is nailed in full voice--then goes down an octave on the second part)!

There ya go!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How do you do to remember all this stuff (and more)? :)
========

When you've collected all the Queen bootlegs, and participated in debates, and analyzations, you can pick up some memories from the bootlegs! :D


I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
Thistleboy1980 user not visiting Queenzone.com
You wanna ring the bell?
Thistleboy1980
Deity: 3027 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 Dec 10, 06:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

According to a woman in my shop yesterday, she saw Queen live at Wembley (arena, not stadium) in 1989!  A great show it was apparently, and it definitely wasn't in 1986.  I'd guess that would be the number one show in any Queen top 10!  Apart from that, she was only 30 (same age as me).  That would mean she would have been 5 when Queen played their last gig in '86....but according to her she was 10.  Maths was a strong point in her school!  And so was bullshit.


It ain't about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit: how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!