Forums > Queen collecting and trading > Queen II earliest vinyl pressings

forum rss feed
Author

stark user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 376 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Oct 10, 14:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Anyone got any info on how pressings of Queen II changed after the first 4U issues with the scored through matrices?  I know this is dull but I've just picked one of these up and compared it to a 5U/8U copy (where 'BLAIRS' has suddenly appeared in the dead wax).  

The crest design was copyrighted in 1975 so the copyright  line doesn't appear anywhere on the 4U sleeve - make sense? And when did the inner sleeve appear - my 4U press doesn't have one but the 5/8U does WITH the copyright info.  If anyone knows I'd be grateful if you could share.  Cheers!

stark user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 376 posts

Posted: 10 Nov 10, 02:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Anyone?  Someone must know about this stuff.  I'm perfectly prepared to accept that it's only me who cares....

mandocello user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 51 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 10, 10:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My 4U/4U copy of Queen II also does not have the "crest copyright" on the cover.

But my other one is strange - it does have the copyright, but the record has the following on the matrix:

Side White - YAX 4735 - 10

Side Black - YAX (4735, scratched out) 4736 - 4U

So what kind of pressing is this one??!!

Just to mention this as well - I have two original EMI pressings of Sheer Heart Attack.

The first one has this:

Side One - YAX 4881 - 3U

Side Two - YAX 4882 - 4U

The other one I own does NOT have the Trident Audio logo on the bottom rear cover, and has this in the matrix:

Side One - YAX 4881 - 4U

Side Two - YAX 4882 - 1U

I've never seen another SHA with the "1U". It's all very, very confusing.

The only UK pressings I own with 1U on both sides are ADATR, NOTW and Jazz.

I know there is also a 1U/1U for The Game, but mine is like "9U"/"5U" or something.

I'm in the States, so I feel like I've already spent too much money trying to chase these down!

It would be nice to make sense of it all, wouldn't it?!