Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > January 3: all albums get digital release by Island Records

forum rss feed
Author

Walter B. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 741 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Oct 10, 08:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen go to Island
16:13 | Friday October 22, 2010

Island Records will be home to the Queen back catalogue from January 2011, after EMI’s deal with band expires at the end of the year.

Island parent company Universal was widely known to be the new home for the band’s iconic back catalogue for the world outside the US. However, the band have now for the first time appeared on the Island schedule, with the entire back catalogue scheduled for digital release on January 3, while Greatest Hits 1 and 2 are set for a full release on the same day. Queen’s Greatest Hits is the biggest-selling album of all time in the UK with more than 5m sales.

Island is expected to reveal its plans for the catalogue shortly but it will have the perfect platform, with 2011 the 20th anniversary of singer Freddie Mercury’s death and the 40th anniversary of the band’s formation. In addition, 2011 will see a biopic of the life of Mercury go into production starring Sacha Baron Cohen.

HMV music manager John Hirst says Queen recordings are “among the crown jewels of our industry's back catalogue”.

“The band's albums continue to sell consistently well in reasonable quantities - both to domestic fans and overseas visitors, and it's also the type of catalogue that will pick up very quickly and go back into the charts every time people are reminded of the timeless appeal of the music,” he adds.

“With some notable anniversaries coming up, not to mention a high-profile Freddie Mercury film biopic, there's every reason to believe that, with a new home, the catalogue can enjoy a renewed lease of life, and connect with a whole new generation of fans."
(source: MusicWeek)

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts

Posted: 30 Oct 10, 09:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I suspect if these offered any more than just a reissue of what's gone before this press release might've mentioned it. After all, the inclusion of b-sides, rarities or even live tracks are a major selling point when recycling old products. Therefore i think we can assume this is 'same old, same old' from Queen and once again, very disappointing from them. The lowest common denominator rule applies: least possible effort for maximum possible profit. Still maybe there'll be a spurious 'remastering' done (i.e. making the cd a little louder than previous ones). Can't wait :(

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts

Posted: 30 Oct 10, 10:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Let me guess - they will be without any bonus material, terribly loud, with no booklets and no promotion ?
Or will they be perfectly remastered, with a 100 page booklet full of never-seen-before photos, bonus CD full of remixes, and bonus DVD with all existing videos from that albums, with 5.1 DTS mix and 1 live concert ?

rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1566 posts

Posted: 30 Oct 10, 11:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

More than likely, they'll be somewhere in the middle and people will still complain, "Why couldn't they include [X]? What were they thinking? Queen Productions HATES us! Let us compose strongly-worded emails to Brian to demonstrate our lack of pleasure, whereby he will understand the soul-crushing plight of the modern Queen fan! "

GinjaNinja user not visiting Queenzone.com
GinjaNinja
Bohemian: 654 posts

Posted: 30 Oct 10, 12:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is an ad from the We Will Rock You Berlin programme.

http://www.bilder-hochladen.net/files/big/8mfp-b.jpg

Can anyone understand German :P

Property Of Queen Productions...
pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts

Posted: 30 Oct 10, 12:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

From January 2011 MANY (viele = many, and NOT ALL) Queen albums will appear in "neuauflage" (new edition ??? sorry I don't know this word) with material which was not released till now

That actually sounds interesting

GinjaNinja user not visiting Queenzone.com
GinjaNinja
Bohemian: 654 posts

Posted: 30 Oct 10, 12:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes "neuauflage" means new reissue/edition.

Interesting that they put many, though this may just mean that they aren't reissuing the live albums and some of the compilations yet/at all. Notice the absence of Live Killers, Live Magic etc.

Property Of Queen Productions...
LuckyRocks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 75 posts

Posted: 30 Oct 10, 12:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Here we go guys...

I´m from Germany!

Translation:

From January 2011 onwards many Queen - albums will be released
as new editions with previously
unpublished material

Sorry if the translation is not that perfect... but I think all of you can now understand what´s meant!

LuckyRocks :-)

By the way - I´m a little curious what will be released! Hope they won´t pass the possibility to release something great this time!

Wilki Amieva user not visiting Queenzone.com
We must all HEAR to believe
Wilki Amieva
Royalty: 1422 posts

Posted: 30 Oct 10, 13:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

New liner notes with unpublished photos. 2001 remasters.

Benn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1332 posts

Posted: 30 Oct 10, 14:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Island have a decent track record where re-issues are concerned, however, and this is a massive caveat for them, Queen are new to Island Records and, essentially, the albums are only re-issues in OUR minds because we have the catalogue unmpteen times already.

Island haven't ever had Queen material before and this is almost certain to be a straight issue of the catalogue probably in three phases as per the initial UK Digital Remasters.  I would think that they WILL invest in a re-mix / re-master in order for the new products to sonically knock the socks off of what is already available though as it's in Universal's interest to *get it right*.

We're then pretty certain to get back to waiting on QPL for Universal to be allowed to issue a rarities set when they feel it's right to do so.

But, equally, we might just get the sorprise of our lives and Univeral have demanded from QPL access to everyting and we get an immediate tranche of expanded / Deluxe editions of the Queen catalogue.

.......and I've seen an elephant fly!

Benn
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003

Posted: 30 Oct 10, 14:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wilki Amieva wrote: New liner notes with unpublished photos. 2001 remasters.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I suspect that's right. If the German press release mentions "previously unpublished material", that suggests written material rather than sonic.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
PrimeJiveUSA user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 267 posts

Posted: 30 Oct 10, 16:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wonder what this will mean for Americans...Hollywood still is the Record company (I'm assuming).

Hope Hollywood releases the new versions.  Semms like we Americans always get the short end of the stick when it comes to Queen : (

the dude 1366 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 208 posts

Posted: 30 Oct 10, 17:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They will likely be remastered LOUD. Don't let it fool you and sell the old ones. Google the "Loudness War" if you aren't aware

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 31 Oct 10, 04:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Unpublished material means unreleased sound, not just liner notes. It does not mean rare demos and outtakes. It only means we do not get the anthology and are coaxed into buying the albums all over again by adding some unreleased sound on the albums.

I totally agree that new "remasters" are much too often just "up-noised" remixes, see "Absolute Greatest Hits". It is good that groups like The Beatles still have respect for their own work and do not follow the trend. My money will be on such quality products in the future.

Comedian and producer Rhys Thomas has written the liner notes and works on the 40 year documentary as written on his homepage:

"He is currently writing the sleeve notes for all 15 "Queen Albums" which are being re-released next year plus working on a Queen documentary to mark the 40th Anniversary".

http://www.rhysthomaswebsite.co.uk/

I am really curious what happens to GVH3 - will it be just dumped or will the new record company start all over and re-release a new Video series?

I do not want any google ads here.

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 31 Oct 10, 07:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

First up, that Beatles comment makes me laugh :P Obviously a joke because, as anyone familiar with the Beatles back catalogue knows, they've been sitting in a pretty sorry state for 20-something years on CD. It took them far too long to release it properly. Of course, Queen have been quite the opposite, releasing quite a few mastering's to the extreme.

Secondly, unpublished material can mean anything. It doesn't mean one or the other, so, we'll just have to wait and see.

And finally, my only hope is that the entire catalogue is done by the guy who remastered the ANATO album back in 2005. That was a nice one. Oh btw, I always find a greatest hits type disc (Absolute Greatest) mastering a bit tricky to decide over. Usually because all the songs come from different sources and have to be mastered to sound somehow similar. It's a tough job and one which can divide opinion too easily, I think.

So, my hope is for a really excellent remaster. And someday, maybe, a shiny "HD" offering in the form of a super-duper audio disc format, rather than CD or MP3.

Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003

Posted: 31 Oct 10, 08:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Books, newspapers, journals etc are normally 'published', whereas cds, records etc are usually 'released'. But, we'll have to wait to see for certain.

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6257 posts

Posted: 31 Oct 10, 08:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wilki Amieva wrote: New liner notes with unpublished photos. 2001 remasters.
====

Yes, likely.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

YourValentine

Posted: 31 Oct 10, 09:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"bisher unveröffentlichtes Material" means previously unreleased sound material - definitely not some photos or new liner notes. You can trust my command of the German language with that.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18639 posts

Posted: 31 Oct 10, 09:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Adam Baboolal wrote:

First up, that Beatles comment makes me laugh :P Obviously a joke because, as anyone familiar with the Beatles back catalogue knows, they've been sitting in a pretty sorry state for 20-something years on CD. It took them far too long to release it properly.

Properly?  The new remasters are crap.  At the very most, there is a 1% difference in the sound quality from the 1988 versions.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
YourValentine

Posted: 31 Oct 10, 10:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think the Beatles remasters are excellent. I have the Stereo box and the Mono box, they are both great. If the new Queen CDs should be such as good I would not mind if any unreleased material is on them or not.
It's obviously all a matter of taste.