Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Live Killers (Possible findings)

forum rss feed
Author

Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3184 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Nov 10, 23:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A friend of mine (TSS Killer), Has made the observation of Barcelona (2/20/1979) being the venue where this song came from. He is completely sure that the whole song comes from this gig.

I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1566 posts

Posted: 01 Nov 10, 23:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If he has a bootleg of that concert and it's the same performance as appears on Live Killers then I'd be willing to say he's probably made a good case. I just listened to the track from LK and there's nothing in it alone that tells me when and where it was recorded.

Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth

Posted: 01 Nov 10, 23:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He's listening to the bootleg of 2/20 on my Youtube channel--he's confident it's from Barcelona!

I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
rhyeking

Posted: 02 Nov 10, 00:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mystery solved then!

:-)

Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth

Posted: 02 Nov 10, 00:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He's currently looking at Let Me Entertain You: He's found 3 concerts already used (and we are at 1:30 into the song)!

rhyeking

Posted: 02 Nov 10, 00:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Seriously? it's edited from 3+ sources? 

I guess studio tracks are edited from multiple takes, so it shouldn't be so crazy that a live track is. These days we expect them to be straight-up recordings from the event, warts and all, unaltered. Funny how our expectations shift between releases.

Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth

Posted: 02 Nov 10, 00:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Currently, he's found cuts from both Rotterdam gigs, and Munich 1979! He also found STUDIO OVERDUBS on the song!

rhyeking

Posted: 02 Nov 10, 00:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rush's "All The World's A Stage" has overdubs, too.

I think it comes from the idea that bands (or record companies) had that every release needs to be perfect, or up to their standards, and mistakes had to be 'corrected'. I'm glad there's less of that now.

Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth

Posted: 02 Nov 10, 00:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd rather hear live mistakes, than "fake" studio dubs.

Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth

Posted: 02 Nov 10, 00:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

UPDATE:

Here's Let Me Entertain You from Live Killers...

0-53 seconds: Rotterdam 1st night

53- 1:08 : Munich

1:09 - 1:30: Rotterdam 1st night

1:31- 1:40 : Unknown

1:41- 1:45: Munich

1:46- 1:53: Rotterdam 1st night (includes studio overdubs)

1:54-2:06: Unknown

2:07-2:48: Rotterdam 1st night

thunderbolt 31742 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thunderbolt 31742
Bohemian: 647 posts

Posted: 02 Nov 10, 00:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Where's Sir GH?

"Do you think I should keep this mustache? Did you say no? F--- off."
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth

Posted: 02 Nov 10, 00:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Probably on the forum somewhere!

rhyeking

Posted: 02 Nov 10, 00:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Re: rather hear live mistakes over studio overdubs...

As would I, and I think the industry recognizes that now, for the most part.

I find it odd that the artists somehow think people will hate the blown note or miss cue or off-key vocal in a concert recording, when most fans feel exactly the opposite: it's makes it more organic and you feel part of the charm of the off-the-cuff performance. The mistakes also make the really awesome, perfect performances that much better, because you know the band was firing on all cylinders in that moment and it's special.

Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth

Posted: 02 Nov 10, 00:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I completely agree.

rhyeking

Posted: 02 Nov 10, 00:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have to say, though, I just listened to the track, following the above breakdown as I did, and the mixing between nights is pretty seamless. The tempo doesn't change, Freddie's vocals are a good match and the other instruments cover the mixing well. I'll have to hear the originals for myself someday.

Well done!

Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth

Posted: 02 Nov 10, 01:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank TSS Killer for the findings!

I'm just writing stuff!

tsskiller user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 36 posts

Posted: 02 Nov 10, 01:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For the record, 0:00-0:38 is Rotterdam 1st night, 0:38-1:08 is Munich PLUS the Rotterdam 1st night (the second "Let Me Entertain You" in that Chorus is patched in). The rest is fine.

So Greg misinterpreted my findings.

The Real Wizard user is on Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18629 posts

Posted: 02 Nov 10, 01:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry to burst your bubbles guys, but that "research" is completely wrong.

I just compared the spots in question, and they are not from Munich, Barcelona, or Rotterdam.  I compared mostly vocal lines and guitar licks, and they simply do not match.

For instance, in You're My Best Friend, before "You're my sunshine," on Live Killers it's a snare fill, and in Barcelona it's a tom fill.  And in Let Me Entertain You, the notes that feed back on the guitar are not the notes on the Rotterdam recording.  Upon careful inspection, none of the vocal lines match at all.  It's these kinds of intricacies that make the songs different from night to night.  When ten things in a row match, then you've got a winner.

I've spent more hours on this project than I'm willing to admit, and by now I likely know every note of Live Killers more than any other record ever made.  And I still love it.

But thanks for trying!  It's an ongoing fun project.  If we're going to figure out more of the songs, more raw recordings are going to have to come out.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Vali user not visiting Queenzone.com
Vali
Deity: 2053 posts

Posted: 02 Nov 10, 04:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote: Sorry to burst your bubbles guys, but that "research" is completely wrong.

I just compared the spots in question, and they are not from Munich, Barcelona, or Rotterdam.  I compared mostly vocal lines and guitar licks, and they simply do not match.

For instance, in You're My Best Friend, before "You're my sunshine," on Live Killers it's a snare fill, and in Barcelona it's a tom fill.  And in Let Me Entertain You, the notes that feed back on the guitar are not the notes on the Rotterdam recording.  Upon careful inspection, none of the vocal lines match at all.  It's these kinds of intricacies that make the songs different from night to night.  When ten things in a row match, then you've got a winner.

I've spent more hours on this project than I'm willing to admit, and by now I likely know every note of Live Killers more than any other record ever made.  And I still love it.

But thanks for trying!  It's an ongoing fun project.  If we're going to figure out more of the songs, more raw recordings are going to have to come out.
///////////////////////////////

... wich makes me remember how much I love your Live Killers analysis everytime I read it (and it´s been more than just one reading!). Many tks for your superb job, Bob !

Bring out the charge of the love brigade
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth

Posted: 02 Nov 10, 10:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, there's studio dubs on LMEY (Freddie sings the high notes)!