Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Brian May to become Vegan!!!!!!!!!!!

forum rss feed
Author

lifetimefanofqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
lifetimefanofqueen
Royalty: 1328 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Nov 10, 13:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ok, idk if i spelt it, but hey

brian says hes going to become vegan, so he cant drink milk, eat cheese, or wear anything that comes from an animal, that guy truely stays by his word and is very into animal rights, infact VERY much, i think its awesome that hes so interested in this and its his passion,

so what do we all think about this?

jamster1111 user not visiting Queenzone.com
jamster1111
Bohemian: 844 posts

Posted: 02 Nov 10, 14:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If he becomes a vegan then he better not become one of those annoying vegans who try to talk other people into becoming vegans by saying that meat is bad for you. If not, it's fine and he's fully entitled to do so.

It's late, but it's time to set me free

It's late, yes I know but there's no way it has to be

Too late, so let the fire take our bodies this night

So late, so let the waters take our guilt in the t
thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6247 posts

Posted: 02 Nov 10, 14:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

1) There is nothing wrong with vegetarianism. It's a perfectly possible way to have a healthy, balanced diet.

2) Vegans are f*cked up! It is not possible to get all the required nutrients from a vegan diet without taking dietary supplements, and I don't exactly consider pills as part of your dinner healthy. Humans were designed as omnivores - there are limited ways around this, avoiding meat in favour of dairy for instance, but pretending you're a herbivore is just plain unhealthy.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

juan1921 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 23 posts

Posted: 02 Nov 10, 16:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Actually, humans weren't designed as anything. We're the product of millions of years of evolution, conditioned by lots of factors. So, even though it may be right to say that being a vegan prevents you from acquiring the necessary nutrients, it's not crazy to think that after several generations of related vegans, bodies might start adjusting in order to further the existance of the species.

Anyway, good for Brian if he's doing what he wants.

Cheers!

Civilization of a society is measured by the way they treat their animals.
lifetimefanofqueen

Posted: 02 Nov 10, 17:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ThomasQuinn wrote: 1) There is nothing wrong with vegetarianism. It's a perfectly possible way to have a healthy, balanced diet.

2) Vegans are f*cked up! It is not possible to get all the required nutrients from a vegan diet without taking dietary supplements, and I don't exactly consider pills as part of your dinner healthy. Humans were designed as omnivores - there are limited ways around this, avoiding meat in favour of dairy for instance, but pretending you're a herbivore is just plain unhealthy.

U MEAN BEING VEGAN CAN DAMAGE UR HEATH!!!!!!!!!!!!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DONT DO IT BRIAN!!!!!!! I DONT WANT U TO DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wait wait wait, dose it kill?

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12697 posts

Posted: 02 Nov 10, 19:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yep.  In people over the age of 60, veganism is actually very, very lethal.  Brian probably has about eight months left.  

By the time he's done being a vegan, he'll probably look like THIS:

http://www.frightstudios.com/image/maskscat/fullmasks/zombie_full_fleshbig.jpg

so I'd get the farewell cards together folks.  This is a day of mourning.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
lifetimefanofqueen

Posted: 02 Nov 10, 20:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote: Yep.  In people over the age of 60, veganism is actually very, very lethal.  Brian probably has about eight months left.  

so I'd get the farewell cards together folks.  This is a day of mourning.

============================================

OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DONT LEAVE ME BRIAN DONT LEAVE MEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DAMN YOU ANIMALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if that happens im gonna be a combination of this
http://images.paraorkut.com/img/pics/glitters/c/crying-1461.gif
http://www.debateitout.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/depression.jpg
http://www.psychologytoday.com/files/u45/sad_man.jpg

http://ihasahotdog.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/loldogs-sad-doggeh-never-leevs-bed.jpg

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18474 posts

Posted: 02 Nov 10, 21:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

While humans have evolved to be omnivores, we also possess something that no other organism has: self-realization.
Unlike anything else we share the planet with, we have the capacity to have awareness, leading to the ability to make choices that are not only based on mere survival.
It is very difficult to live a vegan lifestyle healthily, but it can be done.  I myself am not a vegan, but I completely admire anyone who makes the choice to live a life without acting at the expense of animals.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Joeker user not visiting Queenzone.com
Joeker
Bohemian: 753 posts

Posted: 02 Nov 10, 22:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Roger Taylor:  I fuckin' beat my meat, so what?

Roger: Can I go To Lunch Now?

Brian: No, You Can't...

---------------------------------------

Freddie: Oh Shit, All this crap again?!

"If I had to do it all over again, yes why not? why not
rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1566 posts

Posted: 02 Nov 10, 22:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

All things in moderation, including moderation.

Which means we're allowed the occasional excess. 

My personal opinion is that veganism is an extreme lifestyle choice, but it's everyone's right, just as eating meat, milk, honey and wearing leather is as well. Where it gets too extreme is when it's done for political or social reasons alone, based on the belief that humans are somehow disqualified from consuming or profiting from other lifeforms because we have big brains. I believe that's just silly. More over, it conveniently fails to address why, say, eating meat is wrong but building houses out of trees is acceptable. Trees are just as alive as animals. Vegans I've met live by the rule that if it has a face you can't kill/eat it. I find this incredibly self-serving, especially given the symbiotic relationship between all plant and animal life. My feeling is that veganism in this extreme is a set of arbitrary philosophical lines drawn around practitioners to salve some middle-class guilt complex.

Does any of this apply to Dr. May? I can't begin to guess and would never presume to. Like I said, it's his choice and I respect it.

tcc user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1570 posts

Posted: 02 Nov 10, 23:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think Brian misses Freddie a lot.  That is why he is getting into so many things to keep himself occupied.

jamster1111 user not visiting Queenzone.com
jamster1111
Bohemian: 844 posts

Posted: 02 Nov 10, 23:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with the Quinn guy. He's right. You need things like dairy and meat for your health especially later in life...or at least you need dairy.

It's late, but it's time to set me free

It's late, yes I know but there's no way it has to be

Too late, so let the fire take our bodies this night

So late, so let the waters take our guilt in the t
Dane user not visiting Queenzone.com
No strings attached!
Dane
Bohemian: 690 posts

Posted: 03 Nov 10, 03:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As a Microbiologist studying metabolism, Darwinist, amateur psychologist, semi-Buddhist and most of al FRIEND..
Please Brian, don't, this will only help deterioration of your brain capacity, leaving you unaware of the eventfull years between 1966 and 1991.

Our canine teeth say it all.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Queen Visual Library (www.qvl.nl)
lifetimefanofqueen

Posted: 03 Nov 10, 03:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

well, Brians a clever guy, lets all hope he makes the right choice and is ok

http://img.metro.co.uk/i/pix/2008/01/dogprayEPA_450x400.jpg

Holly2003 user is on Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4685 posts

Posted: 03 Nov 10, 07:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wish Brian all the best.

On a side note, I have stopped eating tuna as they are caught in drift nets which kill lots of dolphin. However, I have started eating dolphins, so it feels like I'm maintaining some sort of karmic balance.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
Amazon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 996 posts

Posted: 03 Nov 10, 10:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote: "Yep. In people over the age of 60, veganism is actually very, very lethal. Brian probably has about eight months left.

so I'd get the farewell cards together folks. This is a day of mourning."

LOL! Great post! :D

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18474 posts

Posted: 03 Nov 10, 10:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

rhyeking wrote:

Trees are just as alive as animals.

No, they are not.  Animals have interactive abilities, and can exercise stimulus and response.  Trees are alive, but they can only take in outside stimulus.  They cannot respond.

That said, plenty of people build concrete homes as a viable alternative to cutting down trees.  These are often the kinds of people who generate their own power, too.

These choices have nothing to do with being self-serving.  They want to make socially-conscious choices, without having to benefit at the expense of something or someone else.  This is the very opposite of being self-serving.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts

Posted: 03 Nov 10, 11:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote: No, they are not.  Animals have interactive abilities, and can exercise stimulus and response.  Trees are alive, but they can only take in outside stimulus.  They cannot respond.
====================================

Plants most certainly can, and do, respond.  An excerpt from a great article I read last year in the New York Times:

But before we cede the entire moral penthouse to “committed vegetarians” and “strong ethical vegans,” we might consider that plants no more aspire to being stir-fried in a wok than a hog aspires to being peppercorn-studded in my Christmas clay pot. This is not meant as a trite argument or a chuckled aside. Plants are lively and seek to keep it that way. The more that scientists learn about the complexity of plants — their keen sensitivity to the environment, the speed with which they react to changes in the environment, and the extraordinary number of tricks that plants will rally to fight off attackers and solicit help from afar — the more impressed researchers become, and the less easily we can dismiss plants as so much fiberfill backdrop, passive sunlight collectors on which deer, antelope and vegans can conveniently graze. It’s time for a green revolution, a reseeding of our stubborn animal minds.

Read the whole thing: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/22/science/22angi.html?_r=3

thomasquinn 32989

Posted: 03 Nov 10, 11:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

juan1921 wrote: Actually, humans weren't designed as anything. We're the product of millions of years of evolution, conditioned by lots of factors.
=======

I was using a common metaphor, as you probably guessed. As to whether or not evolution, supposing that it is not controlled by any preconception whatsoever, amounts to design we can debate.

thomasquinn 32989

Posted: 03 Nov 10, 11:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote: rhyeking wrote:

Trees are just as alive as animals.

No, they are not.  Animals have interactive abilities, and can exercise stimulus and response.  Trees are alive, but they can only take in outside stimulus.  They cannot respond.
=======

I'm afraid that just isn't true. Trees are known to communicate chemically, which is not really too different from what many animals including humans do in many ways.