Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Mercury and Me by Jim Hutton

forum rss feed
Author

lifetimefanofqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
lifetimefanofqueen
Royalty: 1328 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Nov 10, 17:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

what do we all think of jims book about his relationship with Freddie?

personaly i think its awesome! its a good way to read about him from one of the closest people to him, its quite funny about how they met to, and its good to read about all freddies friends etc.........

im about half way through now, i love it  =D

PrimeJiveUSA user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 267 posts

Posted: 04 Nov 10, 19:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ohhhh...lifetimefan...it's such a good, engrossing read!

The thing that sticks with me most about this book is his perceptions of how all of those close to Freddie acted AFTER the funeral..."cruel laughter" etc.

Great book... I don't care what anyone says.

Crazy LittleThing user not visiting Queenzone.com
Crazy LittleThing
Royalty: 1593 posts

Posted: 04 Nov 10, 20:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

lifetimefanofqueen wrote: what do we all think of jims book about his relationship with Freddie?

personaly i think its awesome! its a good way to read about him from one of the closest people to him, its quite funny about how they met to, and its good to read about all freddies friends etc.........

im about half way through now, i love it  =D

Define "awesome".

I saved Spike's life in 'Nam.
jpf user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 710 posts

Posted: 05 Nov 10, 01:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I liked Jim Hutton's book and Peter Freestone's book.  Interesting to see what a normal day at home was like for Freddie.
I wish both books had more photos of Garden Lodge.

It was interesting to find out that the band members (particularly John) really didn't go to Garden Lodge often and that they didn't socialize much (which is common in most bands).

Both books treated Mary fairly, but I wish they would have really let her have it.  I find her treatment of Jim, Peter, and Joe
appalling.  Freddie wouldn't have approved.

Back to Jim's book, it was too bad that Freddie pushed away several of his closest friends towards the end.  Freddie was very lucky to have Jim, Peter, and Joe in his life.  The three of them were his family.

"Every night's a party at Melina's mansion!"
Jazz 78 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 501 posts

Posted: 05 Nov 10, 05:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A lot of people dismiss this book because they feel that it's disrepectful to Freddie and how much of a private person he could be and exposing such intricate details. I personally enjoyed learning more about Freddie "the man" and not just the rock star. In past interviews, Hutton said it was very theraputic for him to write this as he was still in pain after losing Fred. And he was very respectful of Freddie in my opinion. It never changed my mind about the man.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18461 posts

Posted: 05 Nov 10, 09:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh boy, here comes the Mary hating squad again... armed with all their knowledge from the internet and books that must all be true..

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
plumrach user not visiting Queenzone.com
plumrach
Bohemian: 716 posts

Posted: 05 Nov 10, 10:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well said Sir Gh

paulosham user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon
paulosham
Bohemian: 655 posts

Posted: 05 Nov 10, 11:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Awesome - adjective

inspiring awe: an awesome sight

I don't read any of these books because they are exploitative of the person they are written about.  Fred was a private person and I don't think that he would have liked his private life on show for all to read about.

Don't shun it!
*goodco* user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1118 posts

Posted: 05 Nov 10, 15:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

'We were not amused'.

It read very much like a junior highschooler wrote it.  At times, informative.  At other times, juvenile.  And also.....painful.

Had Freddie provided a better send off financial package, I feel this narrative would have been done more professionally, with various comments eliminated,....or not at all.

"Discretionary posting is the better part of valor." Falstaff
mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 3613 posts

Posted: 05 Nov 10, 17:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Written by someone who knew he would make money by describing the despicable details of Freddie's final moments and knew Freddie for only a small part of his life.

Posted: 06 Nov 10, 02:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote: Oh boy, here comes the Mary hating squad again... armed with all their knowledge from the internet and books that must all be true..

----

And here you are crying about it.  Again.

Mary's in her prison doing her time.

Joe (for a very short time), Jim, and Peter were able to
move on with their lives.

It's apparent that you think Freddie would have approved of Mary's behavior towards
Joe, Jim, and Peter.

Posted: 06 Nov 10, 02:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mooghead wrote: Written by someone who knew he would make money by describing the despicable details of Freddie's final moments and knew Freddie for only a small part of his life.
---

You forgot about the part where Jim, along with Joe and Peter, took care of this person 24/7 so that he wouldn't have to
be put into a nursing home and die amongst strangers.

BTW, six years wasn't "only a small part of his life".

Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4261 posts

Posted: 06 Nov 10, 03:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The book it's not that bad - but details like Freddie pissing in bed, breaking bones and choking on mangos didn't have to be put in there. Though, to be fair, they've been the topics of lots of jokes in the last couple of years  - so we should thank Jim for that.

Pee pee.

mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 3613 posts

Posted: 06 Nov 10, 15:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jpf wrote: mooghead wrote: Written by someone who knew he would make money by describing the despicable details of Freddie's final moments and knew Freddie for only a small part of his life.
---

You forgot about the part where Jim, along with Joe and Peter, took care of this person 24/7 so that he wouldn't have to

Yes, because Freddie Mercury would have been put into a nursing home with strangers.... he was skint after all. No 24 hour private nursing care for him. No siree......

Posted: 07 Nov 10, 00:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mooghead wrote: jpf wrote: mooghead wrote: Written by someone who knew he would make money by describing the despicable details of Freddie's final moments and knew Freddie for only a small part of his life.
---

Yes, because Freddie Mercury would have been put into a nursing home with strangers.... he was skint after all. No 24 hour private nursing care for him. No siree......
---

Freddie considered Peter, Joe,and Jim his family.

Freddie did not want to die alone or amongst strangers.

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12697 posts

Posted: 07 Nov 10, 03:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As always, plenty of people around to talk about Freddie's personal life.

Number of people in this thread who were there : 0.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
lifetimefanofqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
lifetimefanofqueen
Royalty: 1328 posts

Posted: 07 Nov 10, 07:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote: As always, plenty of people around to talk about Freddie's personal life.

lol, the number result looks like  face!

Posted: 08 Nov 10, 02:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote: As always, plenty of people around to talk about Freddie's personal life.

---

Jim Hutton was there.

So was Peter Freestone.

That's what we are discussing.

You've brought nothing to the discussion.

You can leave now.

freddiefan91 user not visiting Queenzone.com
freddiefan91
Bohemian: 399 posts

Posted: 08 Nov 10, 04:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

We can argue about this until the end of time but at the end of the day Freddie left Mary with the house, he left no written instruction that Jim should be allowed to stay in the house and we only have Jim's word for this and Freddie left Jim, Peter and Joe very well off with the money he left them

If you were going to leave sombeody your house and half your estate would you leave it to somebody you have known and loved for over 20 years or somebody you have known for only 5--6 years?

None of us know exactly what went on and we can only speculate

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12697 posts

Posted: 08 Nov 10, 05:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Jim Hutton was there.So was Peter Freestone.That's what we are discussing."

You are not Jim Hutton, Peter Freestone, or Mary Austin.  YOU bring nothing to the discussion, save your opinion.  Which itself is hilariously out of touch anyway.  My point stands; in a conversation about Freddie's personal life, considering that nobody in this thread is really qualified to comment (as the books were written by people that are not you), you shouldn't be feeling too authoritative about the subject matter.  Say what you think about the book(s).  Say what you think about the people involved, but don't talk as though you know everything about them, because you don't.

Stick to topics about KISS album sales, dude.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller