Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > cosmos rocks not enough promotion

forum rss feed
Author

david (galashiels) user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2020 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Nov 10, 17:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

was the ,cosmos rocks,promoted enough?.
what did we have,one single(cleb),not enough.
maybe if they promoted  songs more it would have appealed to a wider audiance.
there was a time when an album was released there would be 2 or 3 singles from it.
i feel that if the album had more tv coverage it would have been better.
what did we get.all murray(like him but needed more exposure).
the ocasional mention on radio(radio 2 album of the week).
as a group,band,project.it could have been projected to the public more.
a band such as queen or queen+paul could have had more exposure on national tv and radio.
emi and q,productions did not do enough to advertise and push this album to the general public.
i loved the album from a queen fan point of view,and feel if they had publicised it more that queen+paul could have gone on to bigger things.
ok the tour was a sell out(i think),but more was needed to promote the album songs.
hell ,the cosmos rocks , warboys ,and still burnin,were classic album songs that needed single releases.
in a time of uk record(or cd)sales,reclining.what would be a better time for emi to say,,,,,,
ok here it is,from one of  the biggest band ever to come from the uk,queen and the legend that is paul rodgers..
that would have been easy for them to say........
but??????????
a wee bit of advertising,a single song,and a tour that was at best advertised a very few times on tv or raadio,.
cmon emi.queen productions.and who ever was involved in this,...you should have pulled your f.....g finger out and went for  glory.
you treated some rock legends very bad with shit advertising,and even bigger shity releases..
good job all is a queen fan or we would never have had screen time.....
from a personal point of view,fantastic album,and as a first kids(10 and 16)concert spectacular.
but still,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,not enough to promote the album.
maybe in london the local radio played more songs(in galashiels its local radio),maybe not.
if you imagine the recent ,take that forthcoming tour.sold out in hours.
1 million tickets............now some will say if it was fred then it would be the same,but.
take that had a f.....g lot of adverts,on tv radio,
so why o why did we not get the same for queen+.
where i live(the darkest regions of scotland where men are men and sheep are scared),i heard 1,yes 1 advert for the ,concert/ album.
now even in the darkest places,you need to advertise something that will sell big time.......
for christ sake i heard more adverts for the local car boot sale than queen+paul......
so please emi or queen productions,or whoever makes the adverts......
move with the times.........advertise more,release more singles from future albums,and make sure you advertise in more remote regions..........
life wont start and finish in london..

PrimeJiveUSA user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 267 posts

Posted: 07 Nov 10, 20:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

^
like this post!

YannickJoker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 297 posts

Posted: 07 Nov 10, 20:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Right!

guild93 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Melbourne, Australia
guild93
Bohemian: 310 posts

Posted: 07 Nov 10, 21:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As someone said before, the album was a bucket of piss and making people buy would just create a lot of pissed consumers if they waste their money on it.

jpf user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 710 posts

Posted: 08 Nov 10, 02:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Saw Q+PR on the "Return Of The Champions" tour and that was great.

"Cosmos" sucks.  It should have been named Paul Rodgers + Special Guests Brian May and Roger Taylor.
It ended up being a Paul Rodger's solo cd.

"Every night's a party at Melina's mansion!"
queen79luca user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 179 posts

Posted: 08 Nov 10, 03:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I THINK THE COSMOS ROCKS IT S A GOOD ALBUM WITH GOOD MUSIC.

NOT A SUPER-ALBUM LIKE INNUENDO OR ANATO, BUT LET S CONSIDER GUYS FOR A MOMENT ONE THING.

WE COMPLAIN, I COMPLAIN ABOUT QUEEN PRODUCTION, BOX SET ETC..ETC...

I WANT U ARE HONEST NOW...

WHO THOUGHT THAT AFTER FRED DIED BRIAN AND ROGER WILL TOUR AGAIN AS QUEEN??????

NO ONE!

IT WAS GREAT AND LOT OF HAPPINESS TO SEE THEM!FOR A LOT OF PEOPLE THAT NEVER SAW QUEEN LIVE WAS MIND-BLOWING!

SOMETIMES WE ARE TOO CRITICAL!

Vali user not visiting Queenzone.com
Vali
Deity: 2053 posts

Posted: 08 Nov 10, 03:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jpf wrote: "Cosmos" sucks.  It should have been named Paul Rodgers + Special Guests Brian May and Roger Taylor.

It ended up being a Paul Rodger's solo cd.
///////////////////////////////////

Have read many similar comments since TCR release and I will never agree to that.

"Call Me": written by Paul and it´s maybe the more Queen-sounding track in the album.

Cosmos Rockin´, Small, We Believe, C-lebrity, SINT, Some Things That Glitter, Surf´s Up .... not many Free/Bad Co or Paul´s solo tracks sounding like those, I think.

Oh yes, ok, there´s "Voodoo" ..... but there was also "My Baby Does Me" in The Miracle.

Bring out the charge of the love brigade
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 08 Nov 10, 05:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Let's do a little roleplay.  You're the guy with the responsibility to put together some kind of promotional budget for this album.  You've heard the album.  You can spend a shitload of money promoting a stale piece of work that will never be a massive success, or you can just let it coast along and get sales from old Queen fans (the only people who would've bought the thing anyway).

I know what I'd have done!

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 08 Nov 10, 05:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Keeping in mind that I'm not even someone who hates the album - I think it had some nice moments.  But come on.  Be real.  This is not an album that would've ever set the world on fire.  The songs are not ones that will be discussed in 40 years.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts

Posted: 08 Nov 10, 07:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Am I the only one here who loves that album ?

Vali user not visiting Queenzone.com
Vali
Deity: 2053 posts

Posted: 08 Nov 10, 07:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote: Am I the only one here who loves that album ?
No, Peter, you´re not alone :)

I still play it and enjoy every listening.

Bring out the charge of the love brigade
pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts

Posted: 08 Nov 10, 07:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wiley user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts

Posted: 08 Nov 10, 12:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I enjoy it too. Haven't heard it in a while but I may do it later today.

Also, anybody thinking this sounds like a Paul Rodgers album has clearly never heard a Paul Rodgers album (or Free or Bad Co. for that matter).

Songs like Still Burnin', Call me and C-lebrity (even Cosmos Rockin') have "Queen" written all over them. It's just that they will never be considered Queen because Freddie never sang them.

Performance-wise, I think Brian sounds a bit sloppy in a few tracks but Roger and Paul shine on every song.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18639 posts

Posted: 08 Nov 10, 12:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think a lot of Queen fans revealed themselves to be "Freddie fans" after TCR was released.

It may not be an excellent record, but it is still a very good record.  There are 4 or 5 very strong tracks on the album.

It was doomed to fail with the general public, but I honestly expected a lot more from Queen fans, as I thought they'd appreciate the fact that Brian and Roger were still creating new music, and decided not to work with another Freddie wannabe when it was finally time to make a new Queen record.  It's what they had wanted for 15 years, and as always, some people can never be pleased and will find something to complain about.

Most Queen fans have chosen to create a box for what Queen music should be, and as a result they set themselves up for disappointment on this one.  If fans can't get past the fact that the singer didn't sound like Freddie Mercury and that there wasn't another Innuendo in the bag, then it's their own fault as they're missing out on a lot of great, fresh-sounding music made by three legends.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
kosimodo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 554 posts

Posted: 08 Nov 10, 13:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

^^ Paul Who??

Kidding aside.. I never liked it.. it has a few moments. Sound is great, but songs are weak.

But I will take it with me in the car 2morrow and give it ago again:)

Holly2003 user is on Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts

Posted: 08 Nov 10, 13:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote: I think a lot of Queen fans revealed themselves to be "Freddie fans" after TCR was released.

It may not be an excellent record, but it is still a very good record.  There are 4 or 5 very strong tracks on the album.

It was doomed to fail with the general public, but I honestly expected a lot more from Queen fans, as I thought they'd appreciate the fact that Brian and Roger were still creating new music, and decided not to work with another Freddie wannabe when it was finally time to make a new Queen record.  It's what they had wanted for 15 years, and as always, some people can never be pleased and will find something to complain about.

Most Queen fans have chosen to create a box for what Queen music should be, and as a result they set themselves up for disappointment on this one.  If fans can't get past the fact that the singer didn't sound like Freddie Mercury and that there wasn't another Innuendo in the bag, then it's their own fault as they're missing out on a lot of great, fresh-sounding music made by three legends. ___________________________________________________________________________________________________

I don't think I fall into any of those categories, yet I still found the album disappointing. Only Some Things That Glitter really stands out, with some good but forgetable songs like Time to Shine. But overall it's just not very good. It is so underwhelming to hear a guitar legend play simple 12-bar riffs or generic heavy metal drudge like Still Burning. Rodgers is a pretty good singer in his own genre of blues-rock, but he doesn't have the range to sing the Queen catalogue. In concert, he instead tried to create blues-rock versions of every Queen song he was asked to sing, with mixed results. They had badly-chosen set lists, designed to bring in the punters, instead of picking songs best suited to Rodgers' voice. But that's another story, I suppose.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4283 posts

Posted: 08 Nov 10, 14:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Cosmos Rocks is better than the 80's crap Queen put out. The only thing I miss is a real bombastic old-style Queentrack - which they still had on No-One But You in 1997. People complaining about the setlist seem to forget that Queen in the old days played 90% the same setlists for months on an end - and did not throw in tracks for 1 or 2 nights only - like QPR did with Las Palabras, Warboys, Time To Shine, The Stealer and many other tracks during this tour.

Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003

Posted: 08 Nov 10, 16:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pim Derks wrote: Cosmos Rocks is better than the 80's crap Queen put out. The only thing I miss is a real bombastic old-style Queentrack - which they still had on No-One But You in 1997. People complaining about the setlist seem to forget that Queen in the old days played 90% the same setlists for months on an end - and did not throw in tracks for 1 or 2 nights only - like QPR did with Las Palabras, Warboys, Time To Shine, The Stealer and many other tracks during this tour.
=========================================================================================

Err... that's not my 'complaint' about setlists. I quite enjoyed some of the live stuff with Rodgers singing, especially when he did his own songs. However, his voice wasn't suited to many of Queen's hits.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
matt z user not visiting Queenzone.com
this is not my display message
matt z
Deity: 2808 posts

Posted: 08 Nov 10, 16:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it's probably a GOOD thing the album didn't get much promotion... they should've at least sat on that egg an extra 8 months... so they'd clip the dull bits out and thrown in some solo tracks... no one would mind if roger or bri sang a complete song ...

rog tends to be more inventive... sadly i'm inclined to agree that a lot of it treads on "MOR" rock...

:-/

however, i think their LIVE IN UKRAINE should have gotten a fair deal of more attention and promotion. That was exceptional and showed beyond a doubt that they WERE in fact a powerful force even as QPR.

"Come tonight! Come to the Overbite! Come See Freddie rock Toniiiiight!"
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003

Posted: 08 Nov 10, 17:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

matt z wrote: I think it's probably a GOOD thing the album didn't get much promotion... they should've at least sat on that egg an extra 8 months... so they'd clip the dull bits out and thrown in some solo tracks... no one would mind if roger or bri sang a complete song ...

rog tends to be more inventive... sadly i'm inclined to agree that a lot of it treads on "MOR" rock...

:-/

however, i think their LIVE IN UKRAINE should have gotten a fair deal of more attention and promotion. That was exceptional and showed beyond a doubt that they WERE in fact a powerful force even as QPR.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Except it should be called  'Live sounds recorded in Ukraine and later in a studio somewhere'