Forums > Queen - General Discussion > How come John never slapped the bass much, in studio or live?

forum rss feed
Author

N0_Camping4U user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 97 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Nov 10, 16:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I say much, because I know someone was getting ready to fire off with Cool Cat... And yes I know he was popping the bass, and not slapping it! But seriously, is there a reason? Did John ever state why he didn't do it for any significant reason?

Bigfish user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 430 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 10, 16:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I suppose John just wasn't a slapper..ha ha. Also slapping tends to go hand in hand with, shall we say, percussively busy music. Queen's music could never really be considered like this even in the Hot Space period. Also as far as chart music was concerned it quickly became a bit of a fad in the early 80's and i think Deacy and Queen in general thankfully tried to steer clear of fads - hence the longevity and timelessness of most of their music. Mark King of Level 42 was a leading exponent of slap in the uk and, great bass player though he was/is it was all over the shop for a couple of years and people got fed up of it chart wise.  Actually, and I'm sure someone will put me right if I'm wrong, didn't Deacy actually slap the Bass in 'Ga Ga' just before the second verse ? could be wrong...

Big Fish
GinjaNinja user not visiting Queenzone.com
GinjaNinja
Bohemian: 641 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 10, 17:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think there's a bit of slapping in Dragon Attack.

Property Of Queen Productions...
matt z user not visiting Queenzone.com
this is not my display message
matt z
Deity: 2740 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 10, 17:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

yeah, probably cause he's a more melodic bass player than a slapper.

the few notes on COOL CAT are probably the only exception... i think the bass solo on Dragon Attack is pretty much just playing semi-plucking... or "strong/fuerze" whatever the proper word is for it.

Considering that Radio Ga Ga sounds like a synth i suppose that's not him either... i used to try that back in the days on my bass. :)

arpeggiated synth most likely...

....But ...you might wanna check the related post for "John's Solo Album" ;) ;) ;)

mwahahhahaa...

"A world without preposterous prepositions could only be the best ...... world. "
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6243 posts

Posted: 15 Nov 10, 21:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Regarding Ga Ga, the main bass bit (during intro and verses and such) is synth-generated, but the 'solo' is human.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
liam user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 594 posts

Posted: 16 Nov 10, 02:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I disagree, you can clearly here real bass from John in radio gaga during the verses and intro.

Go, Go, Go, little queenie!!
Bo Rhap user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bo Rhap
Bohemian: 534 posts

Posted: 16 Nov 10, 02:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And what about the outro on Ga Ga .

Underneath Brian's slide solo you can hear John playing too

I never forget a face,

but in your case i'll be glad to

make an exception-Groucho Marx

Posted: 16 Nov 10, 03:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

liam wrote: I disagree, you can clearly here real bass from John in radio gaga during the verses and intro.

Yeah I'm with you  - that's the real thing on 'Ga ga' - no question and some of his best playing..

Big Fish
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6243 posts

Posted: 16 Nov 10, 05:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, John is playing during other sections too, but the main bass (the one appearing first) is synth-generated.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

Posted: 16 Nov 10, 05:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think you're right - the instrument you hear over the drum intro is a synth and again in the gap before the second verse and in the break down before the outro clearly..

Big Fish
zadigadabop user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 24 posts

Posted: 16 Nov 10, 07:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You can hear some "early" basic slapping on the Houston 1977 show at the start of Get Down Make Love. Slap bass was still pretty limited to R&B & funk at that time (Sly & the family stone, Brothers Johnson, etc...)
Given John's taste in music I'm surprised there was not more of it.

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12697 posts

Posted: 16 Nov 10, 07:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My guess is that he was too busy slapping his wife.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
The Real Wizard user is on Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18458 posts

Posted: 16 Nov 10, 09:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Speaking of Radio Ga Ga... everyone should listen carefully to the bass line.  It's quite possibly the prettiest one he ever recorded.  It's just so musical.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Benn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1332 posts

Posted: 16 Nov 10, 10:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John was never anything more than a bass player where technique was concerned.  He was simply charged with accompanying Roger and filling in the bottom end and that worked incredibly well for Queen.

Unlike (BETTER) bass *GUITARISTS* John Entwistle and Jack Cassady, JD had no need to do anything else other than provide simple bass lines where bass *GUITARISTS* differ by filling in the empty spaces left by the lead guitar with a touch more trebble and a more improvisational style.

John's value to Queen was as an electrician, business mond and writer more than as a bass player; *anyone* could have played bass for Queen as Danny Miranda has proven.

Benn
qrock user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 313 posts

Posted: 16 Nov 10, 10:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote: My guess is that he was too busy slapping his wife. WHAT!

NO WAY. I've never heard of John doing anything stupid.

Posted: 16 Nov 10, 11:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm sure John would no more slap his wife than slap his bass...

Big Fish
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12697 posts

Posted: 16 Nov 10, 13:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Don't panic; he never did it with a closed fist, only with an open palm.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
philip storey user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 521 posts

Posted: 16 Nov 10, 13:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have known a few slappers over the years but then again i was a bit of a tart myself!!!!!!!

Posted: 16 Nov 10, 14:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Apparently John used to slap his children but just with his thumb. If I remember correctly my mother used to slap me but never touched my bass although she can now crank out a mean 'Dead on time' solo on my Strat..

Big Fish
lifetimefanofqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
lifetimefanofqueen
Royalty: 1328 posts

Posted: 16 Nov 10, 14:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

he was a shy person and maby he was concentrateing on playing the bass rather than beating it up lol