Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Freddie's style of piano playing

forum rss feed
Author

plumrach user not visiting Queenzone.com
plumrach
Bohemian: 716 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Dec 10, 05:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I cant remember if somebody said it on here or on youtube but it was mentioned that he plays the piano like a drummer plays the drums and i can see how because when playing piano live he really used to go for it and he always got fantastic sound from the piano. is a shame that in the magic tour he was using the piano less but i understand why when he wanted to make full use of the huge stage

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 05 Dec 10, 07:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian May explains how i feel about freddie as a painist on the Making of ANATO.

plumrach

Posted: 05 Dec 10, 09:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What did he say?

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 06 Dec 10, 06:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He's playing piano like a drummer: hammering.

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 06 Dec 10, 08:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian also said he consider's freddie a great pianist, not in a technical way, but he played with a lot of passion.  Which I agree with........IMO, Some of the piano player's who took fred's place either on stage, or in the studio later on In queen's career like  Mike Moran and other's were way better Technically, but freddie had  something you can't explain, his own style.  Not Many great pianist could say that.

plumrach

Posted: 06 Dec 10, 09:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Whenever i watch anything where Freddie is playing the piano i enjoy it very much because he always looks like he is having fun himself

Over the Field user not visiting Queenzone.com
Over the Field
Bohemian: 170 posts

Posted: 06 Dec 10, 11:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There are technically better pianists yes, but how many of them sing while playing? As difficult songs as Freddie sings?

Besides piano intros of Seven Seas of Rhye and Death On Two Legs are technically stunning, to me at least.

Whole piano in Love of My Life is so beautiful and classical esque. My sister thinks that the short "piano solo" in It's A Hard Life is one of the most touching moments of the music by Queen, and I agree with that.

How many pianists can arrange what Freddie did with keyboards in Was It All Worth It (orch. interlude), The Miracle or The Fairy Feller's Master Stroke etc.

To me Freddie Mercury is my favourite singer and pianist/keyboardist of all time.

freddiefan91 user not visiting Queenzone.com
freddiefan91
Bohemian: 399 posts

Posted: 06 Dec 10, 15:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I would imagine that playing the piano, singing and connecting with the audience at the same time is quite hard but Freddie always made it look easy

Bigfish user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 430 posts

Posted: 07 Dec 10, 08:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A good piano doesn't cross hands - any  piano teacher will tell you...
Enter Fred playing Bo Rhap.. ha ha.

Big Fish
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 07 Dec 10, 09:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

> A good piano doesn't cross hands

A bad piano doesn't either - pianos have no hands, so how could they cross them?

>  any  piano teacher will tell you...

Not quite. It's not a forbidden technique. It's up to the performer. In many cases (like Bo Rhap), it's actually the logical thing to do. In other cases, it's pointless - that's what's contraindicated. But there's nothing wrong with hand crossing.

> Enter Fred playing Bo Rhap.. ha ha.

Loads of compositions have crossing hands, like Mozart's Sonata No 14 in C minor K 457 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSCa46fGlH0&feature=related), composed 162 years before Freddie was even born!

Another example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viFOI1QA_DU

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

Posted: 07 Dec 10, 09:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote: > A good piano doesn't cross hands

A bad piano doesn't either - pianos have no hands, so how could they cross them?

>  any  piano teacher will tell you...

Not quite. It's not a forbidden technique. It's up to the performer. In many cases (like Bo Rhap), it's actually the logical thing to do. In other cases, it's pointless - that's what's contraindicated. But there's nothing wrong with hand crossing.

> Enter Fred playing Bo Rhap.. ha ha.

Loads of compositions have crossing hands, like Mozart's Sonata No 14 in C minor K 457 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSCa46fGlH0&feature=related), composed 162 years before Freddie was even born!

Oh God....should have known better.....oh well it is raining I suppose..

Big Fish
freddiefan91

Posted: 09 Dec 10, 07:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I know its not relevant to this topic but i like how Roger combined the drums and singing because that cant be easy either

Jennie user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen Forever!
Jennie
Rocker: 17 posts

Posted: 09 Dec 10, 13:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie was amazing at playing piano as far as I've seen on videos! He truly had his own style, got great sound at the same time as he was singing very difficult songs and entertaining the audience 100%. He made it look so easy too :O

I get cross eyed just looking at the 7 pages of sheet music for Bohemian Rhapsody, and Freddie wrote that!

It's hard to believe he was a bit shy about his piano and guitar ability. He really played like a God!

That being said, I've only just started playing keyboard and don't read sheet music well yet...

I believe in music, Queen is my religion and Freddie Mercury is my God!
freddiefan91

Posted: 10 Dec 10, 02:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie was one of those rare people who wasnt big headed about his wonderful talent

Soundfreak user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 378 posts

Posted: 10 Dec 10, 08:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That was the great thing about many musicians especially in the 70s.
They were all recognisable immediately. Guitar players did one note and you knew who was playing. Even drummers were quite easy to identify.
 And Freddie was one of the few piano players instantly recognisable. And that's the biggest thing you can achieve. It's sad that he gave up the piano on the later Queen albums.

chaim user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 16 posts

Posted: 10 Dec 10, 08:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, I must admit this got me puzzled too: "A good piano (player) doesn't cross hands - any  piano teacher will tell you..." I've seen helluva lot of classical sheet music where crossing hands is called for.

plumrach

Posted: 10 Dec 10, 09:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Another Thing

As Soon as Freddie started playing Boh Rap on the piano at Live Aid everybody knew what it was and you could hear the cheers and then the singing, that was a magical moment

Reid_Special_98 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 96 posts

Posted: 12 Dec 10, 06:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Okay...I have to SHOOT DOWN the guy who made the statement 'A piano player doesn't cross hands'...

Have a look at the first movement Beethoven's 'Pathetique Sonata'....

The person who made the statements about piano playing should do a bit more research. Piano teachers teach the prelimenary basics (myself included) and when/if a student can achieve a higher level, they would probably figure out that technique and repertoire would go 'outside' of the box.

As far as Freddie Mercury's style...he was mainly a rhythmic player and often used a broken chord style for his playing.

If you compare the KEY and Playing style to BoRhap and 'It's a Hard Life' - you will see that there are elements that are very similar.

Solo excerpts aside - his playing was more or less akin to what a ryhthm guitar player would do - support the vocal. As Brian May stated on numerous occasions - he had a crazy sense of timing and rhythm - like a metronome.

Once you begin to understand chords, and inversions and the way chords are formed, it's only a matter of time and patience and passion before you develop your own style.

Just my own 2-cents.

Posted: 12 Dec 10, 06:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Shoot me down all you like dude but if you can find a piano teacher who'll let a beginner cross his or her hands then I'll put on a dress and call myself Betty.

Big Fish
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 12 Dec 10, 08:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

> Okay...I have to SHOOT DOWN the guy who made the statement 'A piano player doesn't cross hands'...

Already done, long before you.

> The person who made the statements about piano playing should do a bit more research.

Totally agree.

> Shoot me down all you like dude but if you can find a piano teacher who'll let a beginner cross his or her hands then I'll put on a dress and call myself Betty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viFOI1QA_DU

Nice to see you, Betty.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.