Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Gregory Finsley best Freddie Vocalist?

forum rss feed
Author

Cherokeechili user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 14 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Dec 10, 04:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Is Gregory Finsley (Queen For a Day) and (Queen Nation) the best Freddie vocalist out there and if so will he ever join QUEEN for a Freddie Tribute Tour?Check out the video samples and let me know
thanks Don

Keep yourself alive Gregory w Queen for a Day

Keep yourself alive  Gregory w Queen Nation

It’s Late Gregory w Queen Nation

Get Down Make Love  Gregory w Queen Nation

Spread Your Wings Gregory w Queen Nation

emrabt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1113 posts

Posted: 19 Dec 10, 10:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Is Gregory Finsley (Queen For a Day) and (Queen Nation) the best Freddie vocalist out there
===============================

He's one of the best liked, in my opinion Gary mullen is better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0eI2l3Xe3o

====================================
if so will he ever join QUEEN for a Freddie Tribute Tour?
=======================================

Yes, 2012, brian and roger have stopped watching the xfactor and are currently finding this guy for a tour, Elvis Presley will be on Bass.

thunderbolt 31742 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thunderbolt 31742
Bohemian: 647 posts

Posted: 20 Dec 10, 00:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just gotta say I was at the Pechanga show, and It's Late was absolutely the highlight of the show for me. I never expected to hear that one live.

I'll say this, Gregory Finsley is the best Freddie vocalist I've seen (in person or on Youtube, no offense to Joe Retta of course), and when he pairs up with Queen Nation, magic happens. The instrumentation is so technically-matched to Queen's and Gregory has an incredible ability to channel Freddie in his voice. As far as a Queen tour with Gregory Finsley...eh...as cool as it would be to see a one-off show with Gregory fronting Queen, I'm not a fan of the Ripper Owens/Arnel Pineda method of replacing your lead singer. I just don't see Queen fans accepting a Freddie soundalike in the lead role, regardless of how great the soundalike is.

Please, don't take that as a slight to Gregory. I've seen him with QN several times now, and consistently walk away amazed at how well the shows are pulled off, and how awesome they sound. It's not that I don't think Gregory could pull off a show with Queen, just that I don't think many Queen fans would be willing to welcome him into the group. I do hope I'm wrong, though.

"Do you think I should keep this mustache? Did you say no? F--- off."
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12697 posts

Posted: 20 Dec 10, 04:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

*shrug*  I don't really think he is.  I think the great thing about Freddie impersonators is that they all seem to (without coordination!) cover different aspects of Freddie's career pretty well.  I'd say that Finsley is the go-to man for the 70's sound.  Mullen has it all over him for the Wembley sound.  It's the same deal with the other ones I've heard.  

To start with you have to be a pretty outstanding singer to attempt this material, so by no means would "he's not the best Freddie" ever be an insult.  

I do wish they'd do something with the guitarist's sound though.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 20 Dec 10, 06:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Agreed, Zeb. I have YET to see a Queen tribute band that has both a VERY good Freddie impersonator AND a guitarist who not only plays like Brian but also has the right BM/RS sound!
I find it insulting they even use amps that aren't Vox AC30's!

bobo the chimp

Posted: 20 Dec 10, 11:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah - I'd feel kind of ripped off if I went and saw the band posted up the page, to be honest.  It's like they just don't give a toss about the guitar, and Queen is one band where you're not going to get away with that philosophy :S

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18461 posts

Posted: 20 Dec 10, 11:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Here's a band called Mercury .. both the Freddie and Brian are top notch - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1koOEU41wg

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
jamster1111 user not visiting Queenzone.com
jamster1111
Bohemian: 844 posts

Posted: 20 Dec 10, 14:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SirGH: To me, anyone who doesn't play piano on the songs Mercury played piano on isn't a true Freddie tribute. Also, Greg Finsley is great because he sings most of the songs how Freddie sang them live and not how he sang in the studio which is much better and much more authentic for a live band. To me, the best Freddie vocalist is the singer from Dios Salve A La Reina (everything is perfect about his voice and style except he has an accent. If he got rid of the accent, he'd be the ultimate best):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0yq23Hxfec&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rncAJ7jhZ0

Also a drawback to this tribute band is they do the intro and opera part to borhap live

It's late, but it's time to set me free

It's late, yes I know but there's no way it has to be

Too late, so let the fire take our bodies this night

So late, so let the waters take our guilt in the t

Posted: 20 Dec 10, 16:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Here's a band called Mercury .. both the Freddie and Brian are top notch

=================================================================

I saw them in 2005, and really wasn't impressed, I want to break free and we will rock you were sung very well, but
the other songs sound like a drunk Freddie at the start of each line then trailing off by the end.
Also it was out side, pouring down with rain. the guy playing Freddie slipped
over and only 18 people turned up, so, to be fair they probably didn’t put
their all in.

Here’s a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsaRF_GTY3s

They also try and do the full Bo Rap with intro, which sounds terrible.

master marathon runner user not visiting Queenzone.com
master marathon runner
Royalty: 1198 posts

Posted: 20 Dec 10, 17:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well you see, it's like this.......To us lot at Queenzone, Queen are our heroes, up there on some metaphorical celestial plane, to be gazed at from a great distance, never to get close to. Now this Gregory chap, he's not on that level, despite his talent he belongs down here with us, he's strictly cabaret. Actually play with Queen ? Don't talk so bloody ridiculous.

Master Marathon Runner.

Master Marathon Runner
bobo the chimp

Posted: 21 Dec 10, 06:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOWB930zX_s     I like this one a lot.  The video itself is terrible, but one of my old comments has a generous number of green thumbs next to it, which made me laugh quite a lot.

For my money, I've played for the best Freddie I'm likely going to meet - Tom Crane (good blend of 70's and 80's characteristics, damned talented fellow).  The others are a good lot, but to be honest I find playing music more enjoyable than listening to it, so I dunno - short of flying around the world just to jam with Freddie impersonators and figuring out which jams the best, I find the comparisons kind of pointless.

Posted: 21 Dec 10, 07:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The best Freddie vocalist is the singer from Dios Salve A La Reina

====================================================

I've always liked Pablo from Dios Salve a La Reina, if he invested in some lessons to cover his extremely thick Spanish
accent he would probably be the best.

other Spanish people probably don’t notice it, as it’s the accent they are used to.

arealqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 1 posts

Posted: 21 Dec 10, 15:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

joe retta sucks!!!

Amazon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 996 posts

Posted: 21 Dec 10, 18:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm not a big fan of tribute bands, however for what they are, Gregory Finsley is pretty good. Still, I really wish that the musician who sang Brian's line had his voice. What I love about Brian on KYA, is that he sounded like he had a cold. :D

beautifulsoup user not visiting Queenzone.com
beautifulsoup
Royalty: 1797 posts

Posted: 22 Dec 10, 00:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amazon wrote: I'm not a big fan of tribute bands, however for what they are, Gregory Finsley is pretty good. Still, I really wish that the musician who sang Brian's line had his voice. What I love about Brian on KYA, is that he sounded like he had a cold. :D
============================

Wow, and that's what I hate about Brian on KYA!  :D

"You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely." - Ogden Nash
Amazon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 996 posts

Posted: 24 Dec 10, 09:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

beautifulsoup wrote: "Wow, and that's what I hate about Brian on KYA! :D"

:D I know! I mean, many people don't like it, which is one of the reasons I love it. That is, I have a thing for singing which isn't classically attractive. Alanis Morissette, Betty Davis, Meg White, Axl Rose, Brian on KYA etc...

I don't simply like someone because they're classically unattractive (if they're a bad singer, I won't like them), and I love plenty of classically attractive singers (my all-time favourite singer is Freddie, with Otis Redding another of my absolute favourite singers), but I do appreciate certain singers who won't be winning any vocal beauty contests.

Posted: 25 Dec 10, 00:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

One thing we do like about Gregory Finsley is the amount of Testosterone he seems to bring to the performance and the fact that he actually plays piano

http://www.youtube.com/user/qfad#p/u/7/25984_9RzDk

Now I'm Here

Posted: 25 Dec 10, 00:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

We also love Gary Mullen.......the stuff impromptu in the bar is some of the best around!

Susan51 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 1 posts

Posted: 10 Sep 13, 20:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

YOU ROCK US!!!! And We will rock you!!! Thank you Greg. you are beyond awesome!!!

dysan user not visiting Queenzone.com
dysan
Royalty: 1542 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 13, 03:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not even close. Good bands on a couple of those vids though.