Forums > Queen - General Discussion > queen play sun city

forum rss feed
Author

MikieT1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 2 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Dec 10, 18:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ive been a fan of queen for as long as I can remember - posters on wall and every album bought - I cant beleive what I've heard today during the height of apartheid and in violation of worldwide divestment efforts they played Sun City - i know it was so long ago but i feel so sick and let down by people i thought were the heroes of my childhood. Shame on them

April Lady user not visiting Queenzone.com
April Lady
Champion: 80 posts

Posted: 26 Dec 10, 18:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There's always another side to these things.

Through a chink too wide there comes no wonder
MikieT1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 2 posts

Posted: 26 Dec 10, 18:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

whats the other side - just looked at the sales figures for queen after they did live aid - when they first came to my attention - a band without scruples that would do anything for money is now my thoughts,

April Lady user not visiting Queenzone.com
April Lady
Champion: 80 posts

Posted: 26 Dec 10, 18:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So if you've been a fan for as long as you can remember why have you only just found out about Sun City? It's hardly a secret.

Trolling?

Through a chink too wide there comes no wonder
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18453 posts

Posted: 26 Dec 10, 19:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Here's an interview with Brian May years after the fact.  Decide for yourself what you think after reading -

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Queen-566/Queen-Sun-City.htm

Another thing most people don't know is the fact that free tickets were given away to those who couldn't afford them (i.e. black people) to ensure the concerts would be played to mixed audiences.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12697 posts

Posted: 26 Dec 10, 23:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jesus fucking Christ, I am sick of hearing morons complain about the Sun City thing.  I'm glad they played it.  

People have this bizarre notion that everyone at the shows must have been a white supporter of apartheid.  There would've been plenty of people there who fit neither description and just wanted to see some live Queen, but you pinheads would deprive them of that because of where they lived.  There are ways to register your disapproval of a regime, but withholding live music and so forth hurts the wrong people.  Why not just stop giving them films in the cinema while you're at it?

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
jamster1111 user not visiting Queenzone.com
jamster1111
Bohemian: 844 posts

Posted: 27 Dec 10, 00:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Every time I hear people complain about the whole Sun City thing it gets me pissed. Who cares if there was some international boycott going on. Queen wasn't a political band and wanted to perform from every audience possible. They weren't gonna let some boycott stop them from entertaining people and sharing their music. Give me a fucking break.

It's late, but it's time to set me free

It's late, yes I know but there's no way it has to be

Too late, so let the fire take our bodies this night

So late, so let the waters take our guilt in the t
Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3169 posts

Posted: 27 Dec 10, 00:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It also proved that Queen had BALLS (going against an international boycott)!

I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
-fatty- 2850 user not visiting Queenzone.com
-fatty- 2850
Deity: 2029 posts

Posted: 27 Dec 10, 03:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm not sure about the other guys in the band but I'm pretty sure that Freddie was racist. You only have to listen to 'MARCH OF THE BLACK QUEEN' with it's use of the word "Nigger" to realise that Freddie was none too fond of ethnic minorities. Then there's the infamous goose-stepping scene in his video for 'I WAS BORN TO LOVE YOU'.
I've also heard that the fall out with his good friend Peter Straker came about because Freddie discovered that he was black. Come to think of it, didn't Bob Geldof say that the only way he got Queen to appear at Live Aid was to assure Freddie that the money would only be spent on white starving children?
And let's not forget his surprise appearance at a Combat 18 gig in 1987 in which he performed with the lads on stage and denied the holocaust in front of 5,000 screaming white supremicists.
So while I may not agree with his views I have to admire Freddie's brave stand against political correctness.

fatty.

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4678 posts

Posted: 27 Dec 10, 05:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Reading that BM interview the phrase 'don't piss down my neck and tell me it's raining' comes to mind.

Queen did it for the money. The USA market had gone and they wanted to expand into other markets like South America, Eastern Europe, and no doubt Asia would've been on the agenda if they hadn't stopped touring. SA/Africa was just another market. Every excuse people come up with to defend them is a rationalisation to avoid that point.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
Amazon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 996 posts

Posted: 27 Dec 10, 06:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

-fatty- wrote: "I'm not sure about the other guys in the band but I'm pretty sure that Freddie was racist. You only have to listen to 'MARCH OF THE BLACK QUEEN' with it's use of the word "Nigger" to realise that Freddie was none too fond of ethnic minorities. Then there's the infamous goose-stepping scene in his video for 'I WAS BORN TO LOVE YOU'.
I've also heard that the fall out with his good friend Peter Straker came about because Freddie discovered that he was black. Come to think of it, didn't Bob Geldof say that the only way he got Queen to appear at Live Aid was to assure Freddie that the money would only be spent on white starving children?
And let's not forget his surprise appearance at a Combat 18 gig in 1987 in which he performed with the lads on stage and denied the holocaust in front of 5,000 screaming white supremicists.
So while I may not agree with his views I have to admire Freddie's brave stand against political correctness."

:D Oh, fatty, if there is an award for best satiric poster, it must surely go to you. :D

BTW, any chance of you telling us more, from a few years ago, of how you've seen Freddie since his 'death'? :D

Posted: 27 Dec 10, 06:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with Holly. Whether we approve of what Queen did, we shouldn't pretend that they did it for 'noble' reasons. Not that it was their obligation to be 'noble'; as it is, I don't think it was.

When I was younger, I was disappointed that Queen had played at Sun City. Now, even though I personally wouldn't have done so, I'm not as disappointed as I once was as I now realise it's not my place to judge. If there is one thing I can't stand, it's moralism, and while I wouldn't have played Sun City if I was a member of Queen, I'm not going to judge them for making the choice to do so. When it comes to boycotts and the like, people have to make up their own mind. There are boycotts I support, and there are boycotts I oppose, like with anyone else; and I'm not going to penalise the guys because they oppose a boycott which I happen to support. For if I do support it, then I should take action myself. I can't, and shouldn't, expect others to take action on my behalf just to satisfy my conscience.

YourValentine user is on Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7596 posts

Posted: 27 Dec 10, 09:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This interview with Brian May is really unbelievable. So, he saw all these black people in the audience - he must have been hallucinating. Sun City was the most shameless all-white, rich amusement center which no black person could afford - even if the whites had actually allowed them to attend. Queen did not go back to South Africa because they would have been excluded by the British musicians union - which already nearly happened after the first break of the UN boycott - they did not stay away because Little Steven disapproved, that is ridiculous. If they had not stayed away their carreer would have been over once and for all.

Brian said in this interview that they had thought very carefully about going which sheds a very unfavourable light on their collective intellectual ability - because it was very ill-advised to play Sun City. It was NOT just a concert somewhere in South Africa - it was a concert (series of concerts, rather) in a frivolous, all-white place in the middle of the so-called independent republic of  Bophuthatswana which was in fact a Bantustan - an area to which ethnically grouped black South Africans were forcefully relocated, thus losing their South African citizenship. To claim that playing in Sun City did any good against Apartheid is just not right. It would have been so much better if Queen had admitted that they made a grave error in judgement.

What also always annoyed me was the incredible hypocrisy by many people who would not even have crossed a street to help the South African black people but acted like Queen  had actually  invented Apartheid. Although it was  a very bad mistake to play there Queen was just a Rock band and it was totally ridiculous to crucify Quuen for their appearance while sparing the mighty Western governments who did virtually nothing to put an end to Apartheid.

I do not want any google ads here.

Soundfreak user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 378 posts

Posted: 27 Dec 10, 09:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm not in the position to judge what has happened then. If someone is in the position it's the people living there.

And the fact that Nelson Mandela had them playing there years later for his AIDS campaign, should indicate, that looking back it can not have been such a big mistake.

Posted: 27 Dec 10, 09:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Soundfreak wrote: "And the fact that Nelson Mandela had them playing there years later for his AIDS campaign, should indicate, that looking back it can not have been such a big mistake."

I don't think one can judge it by whether Mandela has forgiven them. He's an extraordinary man who has forgiven people who have done far worse than what Queen may have done. On the other hand, I remember reading an absurd piece written, perhaps unsurprisingly, by some tabloid columnist who still hasn't forgiven Queen.

brians wig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2150 posts

Posted: 27 Dec 10, 10:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MikieT1 wrote: Ive been a fan of queen for as long as I can remember - posters on wall and every album bought - I cant beleive what I've heard today during the height of apartheid and in violation of worldwide divestment efforts they played Sun City - i know it was so long ago but i feel so sick and let down by people i thought were the heroes of my childhood. Shame on them.
------------------------------------------------------------
You and everyone else should "get real" and stop slagging them off for doing it.
Sure Apartheid was bad, but you should look at it from this point of view: Queen played not only to white people, but to the black people as well. How's that for "supporting Apartheid"?
Good on 'em I say. Someone had to make the stand and Queen did it.

ParisNair user not visiting Queenzone.com
See right through you!!
ParisNair
Bohemian: 854 posts

Posted: 27 Dec 10, 14:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Aparthied, the slave trade in america, etc are topics which i have found very "interesting" of late and hope to read up on in the near future.

Daniel Nester user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daniel Nester
Bohemian: 732 posts

Posted: 27 Dec 10, 22:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Um, it was a bad decision, both sense- and politics- and career-wise. It was naive, for one. For one to to say they're glad they did it, or it proved they had balls, wow.  Hero-worship can only go so far.  

The pro-Sun City folks also seem to be the same "Freddie wasn't gay" people round these parts.  Coincidence?

God Save My Queen and God Save My Queen II | Soft Skull Press | http://www.danielnester.com
Daniel Nester

Posted: 27 Dec 10, 22:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Someone had to make the stand and Queen did it. "

What stand was that? The make-a-lot-of-money-over-four-days stand?  Or the oh-shit-we-didn't-think-people-would-know stand?

God Save My Queen and God Save My Queen II | Soft Skull Press | http://www.danielnester.com
Daniel Nester

Posted: 27 Dec 10, 22:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I asked this before, but if someone, anyone, can link to one report, video, or recording of any members of the band, while they were in South Africa, saying anything critical of the apartheid system or the then-current regime or even a reference to the integrated audiences they were about to play to, I'd be inclined to agree that the whole Sun City thing is out of proportion.  But I have yet to come across any of it.

Can anyone provide links?  Scans?  Freaking hearsay?  Besides the old after-the-fact Brian interview, I mean.