Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Why do people love FLAC files so much?

forum rss feed
Author

jamster1111 user not visiting Queenzone.com
jamster1111
Bohemian: 844 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Jan 11, 22:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Why are people so OBSESSED with FLAC files on this site? I mean really???... Whenever someone shares something it always has to be in flac, and whenever it's in mp3, people have a god damn heart attack over it. Why? the increase in quality is so minute on a flac plus each file takes up 5 times as much space as an mp3 file, not to mention more audio players play mp3's. So why? I never understood the big deal and advantage over FLACs. So what if it is lossless?

It's late, but it's time to set me free

It's late, yes I know but there's no way it has to be

Too late, so let the fire take our bodies this night

So late, so let the waters take our guilt in the t
inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 04 Jan 11, 22:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This belongs in Personal, not 'Queen - Serious Discussion'

And you sir probably don't have good enough ears to tell the difference - either that, or you lack good quality headphones to do an A:B comparison (128kbps vs lossless) with.

Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3184 posts

Posted: 04 Jan 11, 22:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well 128 kbs vs FLAC is a huge difference! That's easily noticable!

What about anything from 192 kbs and up? I can't notice too much difference.

I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts

Posted: 04 Jan 11, 22:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

An mp3 is a digital version of what something used to sound like, as quality is irreversibly lost.

FLAC, on the other hand, preserves all of the quality.  When music is being transferred from old tapes, it's best to preserve what little is there instead of making it even worse by cutting higher frequencies and adding digital artifacts to the sound.

But when most people these days listen to music from a 1" speaker, they'll never hear the difference.  Not all ears are created equal, I guess..

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
jamster1111

Posted: 04 Jan 11, 23:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

But FLAC takes up so much room. Plus it takes much longer to download FLAC files.

jamster1111

Posted: 04 Jan 11, 23:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And I hear the difference, just don't think it's that big of a deal to take up five times as much space. Thanks. I always been wondering about this and you guys answered my question.

inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 04 Jan 11, 23:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jamster1111 wrote:

But FLAC takes up so much room. Plus it takes much longer to download FLAC files.

You do know 1TB-2TB hard drives can be had for well under $99, right?

The Real Wizard

Posted: 04 Jan 11, 23:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jamster1111 wrote:

"And I hear the difference, just don't think it's that big of a deal to take up five times as much space."

Then wait for it to pop up on youtube.  Problem solved..

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth

Posted: 04 Jan 11, 23:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote: jamster1111 wrote:

"And I hear the difference, just don't think it's that big of a deal to take up five times as much space."

Then wait for it to pop up on youtube.  Problem solved..

=============
That's when I come in! LOL

I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
The Real Wizard

Posted: 05 Jan 11, 00:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank goodness the days of the deaf wielding their ways on the enlightened are over.

We've hit a point where technology allows us to perfectly replicate what's on an old tape and send it around the world in minutes, and some people complain about the download speed of something they did zero work to create.  Unreal, really..

Sorry to be a jerk... but complaining about quality never ceases to amaze me.  It'd be like the McDonalds crowd going to a fancy restaurant and complaining to the staff that their food takes too long to cook.

Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth

Posted: 05 Jan 11, 00:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote: Thank goodness the days of the deaf wielding their ways on the enlightened are over.

We've hit a point where technology allows us to perfectly replicate what's on an old tape and send it around the world in minutes, and some people complain about the download speed of something they did zero work to create.  Unreal, really..

Sorry to be a jerk... but complaining about quality never ceases to amaze me.  It'd be like the McDonalds crowd going to a fancy restaurant and complaining to the staff that their food takes too long to cook.
It's an accurate analogy though,

MP3/McDonalds: Quicker service, more simple, inferior
FLAC/High Class Restaurant: Slower service, richer sound, superior

Wilki Amieva user not visiting Queenzone.com
We must all HEAR to believe
Wilki Amieva
Royalty: 1421 posts

Posted: 05 Jan 11, 06:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's a perfect analogy, Bob.

Another thing about the lossy formats is the re-compression artifacts. I can think of several ways of going wrong with that. E.g. A downloads a concert in mp3, then records it into CD for B, then B rips the CD and, for space reasons, converts the audio back to mp3, then sends the files to C, who uploads them to YouTube.

"The horror! The horror!"

Queenman!! user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queenman!!
Bohemian: 931 posts

Posted: 05 Jan 11, 06:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jamster1111 wrote: But FLAC takes up so much room. Plus it takes much longer to download FLAC files.

=====================

Buy a Terrabyte of memory for 50 dollars and you done.

You made us laugh, you made us cry, you made us feel like we could fly!
Dane user not visiting Queenzone.com
No strings attached!
Dane
Bohemian: 691 posts

Posted: 05 Jan 11, 12:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Indeed...

HDD sizes grow at a staggering pace, and it won't be long untill you can't get your harddrive filled even if you wanted to.

I know a lot of files (especially movies) will also get bigger, but music will not as they had reached their limit the second compact discs were able to be read on a PC. They are converted to uncompressed WAVE files enableing your pc to read the info and send it to your speakers. (probably not exacly like this, but you get the picture)

in short... Disc Space is no longer an arguement.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Queen Visual Library (www.qvl.nl)
brians wig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2237 posts

Posted: 05 Jan 11, 13:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jamster1111 wrote: But FLAC takes up so much room. Plus it takes much longer to download FLAC files.
---------------------------------------

Good God. We live in 2011, not 2001.
MP3 was created back in the old days of 14k modems, so that music files could be downloaded over a few hours (!) rather than a few days.
We have Broadband now (and have had for at least 5 years), so there's absolutely NO NEED for MP3 anymore!
Sure, If you listen through an ipod, you'll notice no difference, but I listen to music through a hi-fi seperates system that cost me £600 back in 1991, and believe me, I CAN tell the difference between a concert encoded to mp3 and the original lossless source.

Thank GOD for FLAC!

brians wig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2237 posts

Posted: 05 Jan 11, 13:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote: Thank goodness the days of the deaf wielding their ways on the enlightened are over.

------------------------------------------------

Point #1. Sorry. We haven't won the war yet. While ever the record companies think it's acceptable to sell mp3's and average joe in the street buys and plays them, mp3 won't die.

Point #2:  That's the funniest analogy I've ever read. Is it copyrighted and can I use it? !!! :)

The Real Wizard

Posted: 05 Jan 11, 13:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Haha, it's fair game.. have fun with it!

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 05 Jan 11, 15:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SirGH and the like tooting FLAC over MP3, I love you guys! It is amazing to see someone complaining about FLAC in this day and age.

I'll tell you this, my MP3 collection used to be made up of 256/320kbps files cause I thought that was pretty good. And to some extent, it was. However, last year I overhauled my collection and recaptured all my CDs in FLAC and wow...the difference in sound is brilliant. Those who remember me on this forum know I'm quite anal about audio quality, qualities, etc. So, it may be a surprise that my song collection was MP3. But there ya go.

Anyway, it's 2011 and when we're downloading videos from Queenzone like there's no tomorrow, I think complaining about the size of a FLAC audio file is a little bit out of date. And perhaps even a little bit ungrateful for the files being made available at all by some kind soul.

Adam.

waywardgenius user not visiting Queenzone.com
waywardgenius
Champion: 56 posts

Posted: 05 Jan 11, 18:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A band such as Queen whose sound is richly textured and replete with nuances deserves nothing less than lossless files, so FLAC is a perfect digital medium for Queen's sumptuous music. mp3 files are only suitable for disposable pop pap.

the dude 1366 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 208 posts

Posted: 05 Jan 11, 19:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's this simple. I love Queen and want to hear it in the best possible sound quality. I bought the gold disc MFSL remasters and the best vinyls to hear it better. MP3 kills the sound of the music I like listening to. I think it's great that there is some quality control here. Even crappy sounding boots sound crappier when brought down to MP3.
I could get into the details of how MP3 specifically ruines the fullness of Freddie's voice or kills the sound of Roger's crash/ride cymbal etc, but that would be long and drawn out. The point is that I want to preserve this stuff in the best way possible, like many on here. And that is great!