add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Jan 11, 14:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

which do u think is queens worst album ever

jpf user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 710 posts

Posted: 05 Jan 11, 23:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Hot Space"

If I considered "Flash Gordon" to be a proper Queen lp, then I'd say FG.

"Every night's a party at Melina's mansion!"
YannickJoker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 297 posts

Posted: 06 Jan 11, 00:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Works. It's not coherent enough, just a collection of songs. I like most of them, but it's very random and not really an album as such.

plumrach user not visiting Queenzone.com
plumrach
Bohemian: 716 posts

Posted: 06 Jan 11, 02:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hot Space is not that bad, people dont like it because its so different from a regular queen album but i think its good and im sure im not the only one!!!

Come on it got to Number 4 in the UK Charts the same as News ot the World

Soundfreak user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 378 posts

Posted: 06 Jan 11, 03:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There is no such thing as a "worst album". Every album has offered one or two hits or concert classics, they always tried to give their best - not their worst. Some albums age better with time. And as the albums vary over a time span of 20 years some prefer this one over that one and others might do the opposite.

The only real "worst album" that I guess no one will argue about is "Live Magic" with it's horrible edits.....

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6256 posts

Posted: 06 Jan 11, 05:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

plumrach wrote: Hot Space is not that bad, people dont like it because its so different from a regular queen album but i think its good and im sure im not the only one!!!

Come on it got to Number 4 in the UK Charts the same as News ot the World
----------

Popularity =/= Quality.

If this were the case, The Works would've been one of Queen's top albums, and Queen II one of the worst. Evidently, this is not so.

I do believe that Hot Space was one of the least imaginative Queen-albums. Yes, it sounded different from what Queen had done before, but it also sounded remarkably like almost everything else that hit the charts in 1982. In fact, I think it is the Queen-album which sounds most generic. The arrangement and production were sloppy to say the least (just think of the sad excuse for vocal harmonies on "Action This Day" or the clearly audible tape-hiss on "Cool Cat"), and evidently, the songs hadn't been given the attention their work on previous albums had, as the boys had managed to improve the songs significantly by the time they took them on tour (I've never yet heard anyone, including those who like Hot Space, argue that the live-versions were *not* superior to the studio versions. I know of no other album by Queen where this opinion is held so monolithically).

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4706 posts

Posted: 06 Jan 11, 06:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Greatest Hits III or Live Magic.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
ITSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1021 posts

Posted: 06 Jan 11, 07:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A Kind of Magic (But I like the songs: "Pain is so close to pleasure", "Don't lose your head" and "A Kind of Magic")

Chuck Norris never sleeps, he waits...
pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10071 posts

Posted: 06 Jan 11, 08:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't like their 80's albums, but I like at least one song from every album, so it's hard to tell

Amazon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 996 posts

Posted: 06 Jan 11, 12:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like Hot Space. Yes, it wasn't among Queen's most imaginative albums, but to me it sounds fresh. It's fun, Freddie is in spectacular form (I don't think there is a single song in which he underperforms), and it's clear that he's having a ball of a time. Whether the live songs are better, well I'm probably not a great judge as I prefer studio songs to live songs anyway.

While I wouldn't use the word 'worst,' as I don't think Queen ever released a bad album and that word has negative implications, I do think that Queen's least impressive album was AKOM, followed by The Works. I loved Princes of the Universe, and Friends will be Friends, and I really liked WWTLF (although I do think it is perhaps Queen's most overrated song), and I liked a couple of other songs, but all in all, it's a very uninspiring album. Like The Works, I think it's a very middle of the road album, and if it wasn't for Highlander, I think it would be even less memorable.

Posted: 06 Jan 11, 12:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was going to answer The Cosmos Rocks, but I can't as I don't consider it to be a Queen album. :P

Posted: 06 Jan 11, 13:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry for the triple post, but my darn computer really messed up my posting!

angermair73 user not visiting Queenzone.com
angermair73
Bohemian: 145 posts

Posted: 06 Jan 11, 13:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I really dont care for Made in Heaven but i dont mean its that bad.
But some people here dont like Live Magic wich i do. I wish the sound on Wembley 86 was the same like on Live Magic. That would have been great. The sound on Wembley 86 is just too nice.

What a great band!
PrimeJiveUSA user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 267 posts

Posted: 06 Jan 11, 18:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ThomasQuinn...I beg to differ.  I, for one, think that 99% of Queen songs were best in their original "studio" form...ESPECIALLY "Hot Space".

"Staying Power" in studio form is right up there with "Don't Stop Me Now" imo.  I love the bouncy, electronic production...and Freddie's studio vocals on the song STOMP all over his live vocals .

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 06 Jan 11, 22:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's probably all in my head, but Hot Space sounds like a band that doesn't give a shit about what it's doing.  There's two ways to stand out when you're making albums - doing something that people haven't done before, and doing something that isn't really being done at the time.  Queen were doing neither of those things with Hot Space.  I stand by their philosophy in making the album in the first place, but the end product wasn't up to snuff.  Even the band know it, really.  Just listen to them chuckling at the shitty videos on GVH2.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
jpf user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 710 posts

Posted: 07 Jan 11, 02:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote: It's probably all in my head, but Hot Space sounds like a band that doesn't give a shit about what it's doing.  There's two ways to stand out when you're making albums - doing something that people haven't done before, and doing something that isn't really being done at the time.  Queen were doing neither of those things with Hot Space.  I stand by their philosophy in making the album in the first place, but the end product wasn't up to snuff.  Even the band know it, really.  Just listen to them chuckling at the shitty videos on GVH2.

---

As far as "Hot Space" goes you had two guys who weren't interested at all in the direction that the other two guys wanted to go in.  Those other two guys were jumping on a bandwagon (disco/dance) which had ended a few years prior.  These
same two other guys were just trying to write "Another One Bites The Dust II".  This lp definitely pissed off the rock/old school fans.

This lp definitely put a huge dent in their career, particularly in the U.S.

"Every night's a party at Melina's mansion!"
freddiefan91 user not visiting Queenzone.com
freddiefan91
Bohemian: 399 posts

Posted: 07 Jan 11, 02:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@amazon

i think the works is one of queens best albums with some great songs like Radio Gaga IWTBF HTF, IAHL and ISTWWC and i also think tear it up is quite good

i know we all have our own different opinions and none of us are going to agree on everything i spose!!!

freddiefan91 user not visiting Queenzone.com
freddiefan91
Bohemian: 399 posts

Posted: 07 Jan 11, 02:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As for Hot Space i do like it and i understand why they felt they had to make it

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6256 posts

Posted: 07 Jan 11, 06:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

PrimeJiveUSA wrote: ThomasQuinn...I beg to differ.  I, for one, think that 99% of Queen songs were best in their original "studio" form...ESPECIALLY "Hot Space".

"Staying Power" in studio form is right up there with "Don't Stop Me Now" imo.  I love the bouncy, electronic production...and Freddie's studio vocals on the song STOMP all over his live vocals .
======

Alright, I stand corrected: I have so far encountered *one* fan who did not regard the live-versions of Hot Space-songs as superior.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Thistleboy1980 user not visiting Queenzone.com
You wanna ring the bell?
Thistleboy1980
Deity: 3053 posts

Posted: 07 Jan 11, 09:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ThomasQuinn wrote: PrimeJiveUSA wrote: ThomasQuinn...I beg to differ.  I, for one, think that 99% of Queen songs were best in their original "studio" form...ESPECIALLY "Hot Space".

======

Alright, I stand corrected: I have so far encountered *one* fan who did not regard the live-versions of Hot Space-songs as superior.

Hi Thomas, I'm afraid you're now going to have to make it two mate!  IMHO, Staying Power, Backchat, Action This Day, Put Out The Fire and Under Pressure are far superior on the album than on  the live versions.  I do like the live versions of Put Out The Fire and Life Is Real, but the album versions are better.  Finally, if you include Q+PR's version of Las Palabras De Amor from the Chile show in 2008, there's no contest lol, the album wins hands down.  And Hot Space is definitely not the worst album, either.  If I had to pick an LP I couldn't really be arsed with (fuck, I know I'm gonna get lynched) I would actually say SHA or The Miracle.  I can't stand FG, Live Magic or Hits III either, but they don't count as albums.

It ain't about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit: how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!