Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Under Pressure live...did they ever do it justice?

forum rss feed
Author

Jasonite user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jasonite
Champion: 53 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Jan 11, 19:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For me this is a tough question. Obviously you can't just duplicate David Bowie, and Freddie can't be expected to duplicate those crazy high falsetto notes he hits on the album, it'd be just too tough on his voice during a tour. I also agree with Freddie that a live performance should not just be an identical version from an album, but a show of it's own. I've seen the Rock Montreal version in '81 where he at least tries to go to falsetto for a bit which was cool, but the song was played really safe like Brian said in the commentary. The Wembley version from '86, was more evolved but Freddie's voice wasn't in terrific shape on that day. What is the closest they've come to really doing it justice live?

J

"There are three kinds of people: those who can count, and those who can't."
Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3171 posts

Posted: 05 Jan 11, 20:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Here ya go. This is the 11/24/1981 version (not the official version). Freddie nails the song!

I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
plumrach user not visiting Queenzone.com
plumrach
Bohemian: 716 posts

Posted: 06 Jan 11, 02:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i quite like the wembley version but i really like the ones at montreal and live at the bowl

riccardo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 252 posts

Posted: 06 Jan 11, 23:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I noticed that the only concert where Freddie replicate the third "give love" like the studio version is Paris 19.4.82. 
Can you confirm that?

Anyway, I think that the best version of under pressure is first night in Montreal 81.

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12697 posts

Posted: 07 Jan 11, 00:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nah.  It was nice, live, but I don't think it was ever as great as the studio track.  Hearing the song without Bowie is like when they cut to the opera part of Bo Rhap - it feels like a cop out.  A very justifiable one, but still not very satisfying.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
PrimeJiveUSA user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 267 posts

Posted: 07 Jan 11, 10:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I almost always(with a *few* exceptions prefer Studio Queen over Live Queen...and this is no exception.

Yeah, I agree...without Bowie the song is missing all of it's sweeping grandeur.  I've never heard a live version of this song that I liked.

Wembley  '86 version was horrible imo.

Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3171 posts

Posted: 07 Jan 11, 16:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wembley's wasn't that bad. You want the worst version? The SNL performance by far.

There's also some pretty bad ones on the Works Tour (though they have those awesome falsetto lines in the middle section)!

I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury