Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > What is the best live version of Another One Bites The Dust (Debate Topic)

forum rss feed
Author

Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3184 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Jan 11, 01:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've really been listening to this song throughout all the tours (The Game through the Magic Tours), and I was wondering what is the best version of the song live (overall)? Here's some nominees (chronological order):

New York (9/28/1980): Freddie nails the whole first verse and chorus like the record (the phrasing)

Brussels (12/13/1980): Freddie nails all the B4s in the song--and is one of the few versions where he does album phrasing on the chorus (he sings Another One Bites The Dust on G4, A4, B4--like a stair-step).

Monterrey (10/9/1981): Freddie hits alot of the high notes + an awesome improv section (Back Chat)

Montreal (11/25/1981): Freddie gets most of the notes--plus his tone is fantastic

Vienna (5/12/1982): Similar to Montreal's version--plus Freddie hits a D5 in the first chorus (no joke)

Mannheim (6/21/1986): Freddie does an awesome improv in the middle section. He also displays tons of chest power, and hits an ad-libbed C#5 in one of the chorus parts

Munich (6/29/1986): Freddie nails all the B4s in the song + a very nice improv section

Cologne (7/19/1986): All-round excellent performance

Both Vienna gigs (both have awesome improv sections--the first Vienna has more high notes being hit)

Budapest (7/27/1986): All-round excellent performance

Knebworth (8/9/1986): Awesome performance, plus many fans high this version highly!

DEBATE!

I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
tcc user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1581 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 11, 02:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have read somewhere that the one performed at Knebworth (in the Live Magic album)  is the best live performance of the song and I agree with it.

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 11, 06:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I always liked the first night at Wembley version. They seem very relaxed and Deaky does some nice things when they 'improvise'.

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

Band Forever user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 212 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 11, 11:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Buenos Aires 81 small clip shown on Rare Live Concert, excellent catchy version with guitars sounding a-mazing
 + Freddie and Roger too.
 Slash became the Brian May imitator with the tall hat.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18633 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 11, 11:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Knebworth... no contest.  Freddie could never do the vocal line justice live (although sometimes he came close, as Greg has so thoroughly researched), so adding the crowd singalong was perfect for the song and the setting of the tour.  And there was something magical about this last version... it's just so musical in every way.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
jamster1111 user not visiting Queenzone.com
jamster1111
Bohemian: 844 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 11, 13:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bob: I totally disagree. Montreal (the one on the release) is by far the best version. He gets every note perfectly and cleanly with amazing precision. Plus it has a good improv as well. I've never heard any version where he sings it like that. Knebworth's is great but to me, no song is ever the best version when he was that deep voice.

It's late, but it's time to set me free

It's late, yes I know but there's no way it has to be

Too late, so let the fire take our bodies this night

So late, so let the waters take our guilt in the t
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth

Posted: 09 Jan 11, 14:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jamster1111 wrote: Bob: I totally disagree. Montreal (the one on the release) is by far the best version. He gets every note perfectly and cleanly with amazing precision. Plus it has a good improv as well. I've never heard any version where he sings it like that. Knebworth's is great but to me, no song is ever the best version when he was that deep voice.
======

Brussels is better. There he hits every note (plus has better phrasing). Montreal is the best "official version" though.

I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
on my way up user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2186 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 11, 15:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not mentioned yet (I think): Buenos Aires 08/03/1981. I really like that version, great interaction with the audience (and lovely bass-sounds:-)

on my way up
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth

Posted: 09 Jan 11, 15:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Isn't that the version where Maradona gets introduced? That's also a great version!

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18633 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 11, 18:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There's much more to a performance than what notes a singer hits.  If that's all you guys are looking at when rating performances, you're completely missing the point of what live music is all about.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth

Posted: 09 Jan 11, 18:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote: There's much more to a performance than what notes a singer hits.  If that's all you guys are looking at when rating performances, you're completely missing the point of what live music is all about.
======

Which is why I think most of the best versions (and some of my favorite versions) are from the Magic Tour. They have awesome improv sections. The way I judge best versions (you can hear this on the Skype debates), is by a criteria (not in order):

1. Freddie's vocal phrasing
2. Comparisons to other live versions (better solo, better improv, etc)
3. Studio comparisons
4. Freddie's note choices/interpretations

Wes90 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 17 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 11, 18:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't like montreal version, it sounds overdubbed a lot, i mean in some parts you can actually hear two freddie voices together, at least that's what i hear.
I mean he's in great shape, but the part "hey gonna get you too another one bites the dust" sounds clearly overdubbed/effected.

Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth

Posted: 09 Jan 11, 18:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wes90 wrote: I don't like montreal version, it sounds overdubbed a lot, i mean in some parts you can actually hear two freddie voices together, at least that's what i hear.
========

Interesting. What parts sound overdubbed?

Posted: 09 Jan 11, 18:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Gregsynth wrote: Wes90 wrote: I don't like montreal version, it sounds overdubbed a lot, i mean in some parts you can actually hear two freddie voices together, at least that's what i hear.
========

Interesting. What parts sound overdubbed?

========

I just edited the post, i hear it when he sings "hey gonna get you too another one bites the dust".
But it's not that he doesn't hit the note, it just makes it stronger.

Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth

Posted: 09 Jan 11, 18:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Here's Montreal's version:

I'm listening to the parts you mentioned. I only hear Freddie and Roger sing that part, but what's interesting is that, he's doing the line with that same "aggressive" tone that he did on Bohemian Rhapsody (which turned out to be overdubbed vocals--as pointed out by Bad Seed, and the Audience Recording/We Will Rock You release).

I guess it could go either way!

Posted: 09 Jan 11, 18:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Gregsynth wrote:

Here's Montreal's version:

I'm listening to the parts you mentioned. I only hear Freddie and Roger sing that part, but what's interesting is that, he's doing the line with that same "aggressive" tone that he did on Bohemian Rhapsody (which turned out to be overdubbed vocals--as pointed out by Bad Seed, and the Audience Recording/We Will Rock You release).

I guess it could go either way!
======

I don't think that one you hear is roger, at least i don't hear roger, it sounds like freddie himself, as you said singing it with more aggressiveness.

Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth

Posted: 09 Jan 11, 19:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I guess it's possible that Freddie overdubbed it (on top of his original vocal). Maybe Bad Seed can help us!

jamster1111

Posted: 09 Jan 11, 20:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That song is not overdubbed. Listen to the audience recording from the other night, he sings it just as well. And I never said best performances of songs are not about just what Freddie hits. The reason why I think Montreal has the best version is because the whole song itself sounds great and it is one of the only versions I've heard where Freddie hits all the B4's perfectly with such precision. Sure the magic tour versions are classic but this version I have to say has the best vocal performance. 

And no I don't judge based solely off of what Freddie hits. If I went off that note, I'd love the game tour over the Opera tour! (which i obviously don't).

Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth

Posted: 09 Jan 11, 20:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I thought you loved those obnoxious versions of songs on The Game Tour? :D

jamster1111

Posted: 09 Jan 11, 20:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nope. :D