Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Did Yellow Magic Orchestra "Borrow" the Idea For Queen's Album Cover?

forum rss feed
Author

Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3184 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Jan 11, 22:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://www.amazon.com/TIGHTEN-SINGLE-YELLOW-MAGIC-ORCHESTRA/dp/B004ETFKD0/ref=sr_1_40?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1294979122&sr=1-40

I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18633 posts

Posted: 13 Jan 11, 22:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This song came out in 1981.. so is this a new kind of borrowing where you borrow from the future?  If so, then.. cool !

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3184 posts

Posted: 13 Jan 11, 22:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yep! They had a time machine! I saw it!

I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 13 Jan 11, 23:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What a way to use "cutting edge" album art technology from 9 years ahead of time!

By the way, if you look closely, doesn't this heavily resemble the UK hologram version of the "Miracle" single cover, or rather in this case the other way around? :-)

Thistleboy1980 user not visiting Queenzone.com
You wanna ring the bell?
Thistleboy1980
Deity: 3053 posts

Posted: 14 Jan 11, 03:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen = stealing, rip off bastards.

Fucking hate them.

Yellow Magic Orchestra are the greatest!!!

It ain't about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit: how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!
Yamaguchi user not visiting Queenzone.com
Rock'n Roll Superman
Yamaguchi
Bohemian: 104 posts

Posted: 15 Jan 11, 04:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it is fake.

Attachment: 113215921174500.jpg 95 KB
This has been downloaded 46 time(s).

The Greatest Rock'n Roll Hearted Man.
inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 15 Jan 11, 13:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

whollsocks wrote:

I think it is fake.

Not necessarily! The song was released in Japan & US in 1980, and the UK in 1981 (according to Wikipedia), and knowing too well the differences that can happen with album/single cover variations over the world, it's possible this single cover could have been used for any one of those countries.

Also, someone on QOL pointed out that for "Hot Space" Queen copied the artwork style from Procol Harum's "Flyback: The Best Of Procol Harum" compilation:

kosimodo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 554 posts

Posted: 15 Jan 11, 14:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

^^ Thats very different.

Everybody can see that the blue is left right at Queens Hot Space...

Believe In Yourself user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 64 posts

Posted: 15 Jan 11, 15:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/M_Patton/album_covers_spoofing_album_covers

http://www.amiright.com/album-covers/

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4706 posts

Posted: 17 Jan 11, 07:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Actually, contrary to the accepted doctrine that Queen were a non-political band, Hot Space had a hidden message in the album cover about the band's political beliefs. Each band member was placed in the corner which represnted their political views on the attached graph. I shouldn;t really be revealing this. I have a feeling I'll be getting an email from Queen Productions soon. Please vist my website www.hollyleaks.com for more info.

Attachment: 1131171028210947.png 2 KB
This has been downloaded 26 time(s).

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
DragonflyTrumpeter83 user not visiting Queenzone.com
DragonflyTrumpeter83
Bohemian: 125 posts

Posted: 17 Jan 11, 18:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Holly2003 wrote: Actually, contrary to the accepted doctrine that Queen were a non-political band, Hot Space had a hidden message in the album cover about the band's political beliefs. Each band member was placed in the corner which represnted their political views on the attached graph. I shouldn;t really be revealing this. I have a feeling I'll be getting an email from Queen Productions soon. Please vist my website www.hollyleaks.com for more info.
Really?  Why is Brian yellow? Is he a coward or something? LOL  Because the space on the graph that you provided is purple where Brian is in the Hot Space cover.  If it were true, it would give the title "Hot Space" a new meaning.