So I have this idea, that The works could have been a little more put together. I know a concept has been noted by many [ maybe two or three songs fall into the same category], I honestly don't see much of a fine symetry here at all.
I'm not saying I dislike any song on this particular album, or any other Queen material for that matter.
So here's my theory, if Freddie was working on a bulk of his solo criteria during 1983 [while the Queen had they're so called "break-up"] then why didn't put any of it on "the works?" "Man made paradise" what a genuine candidate. The lyrics are very clich'e and quirky. But hey, it's a Freddie lyric. My synoposis is that it was written about falling deep in fatuation with someone, and living in fear of rejection. It does have a very well coordinated piano sound to it. I especially love the Brian may esque orchestrated guitars during the chorus. Just gives it all the more reason to be incorporated into this album, It lacks stance and capabillity on Mr. bad guy. Why mix such a melodic ditty in a batch full of fillers? It has so much more potential. As does "There must be more to life than this", such a emotional piece of work. Probably the best on Bad guy. So here's my interpretation [for fun so don't shoot messanger] of "the works!"
1. Tear it up [ A little ode to a nice roll in the hay, and it put's me in a mildy good mood]
2. Machines [or back to humans] [ I love the delay on Freddie's vocals, and his overall vocal peformance]
3. There must be more to life than this
4. Keep passing the open windows [You can tell Freddie had alot of fun recording this number]
5. Radio gaga [such a revolutionary song, really shows the transition of music and video in general through that time period]
6. It's a hard life
7. I want to break free [ I think Freddie's vocals are stupendous here]
8. Hammer to fall [ The guitar wails and swiftly blends with Freddie's phrasing]
9. Is this the world that we created [ I love this composition, for the fact that it was a duet just between Brian and Freddie, like they did live]
10. Man made paradise
So there's my list, love it or hate it with fiery vengeance!