Forums > Queen - General Discussion > One Vision intro (and other songs): how to recreate on Yamaha DX7?

forum rss feed
Author

Tim Goossen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 239 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Jan 11, 11:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi,

as we all know, the One Vision intro was done on a Yamaha DX7 (see One Vision In The Studio on GH-II dvd). I haven't been successful in re-creating the string-like sound that was used. It's definitely not a standard factory preset, but probably tweaked (starting from a factory preset) to get this sound.

Now, tweaking a sound with a DX7 is simple, but recreating a sound is a total different matter. I've looked on the internet, but didn't find any patches or settings to get this specific sound. Anyone ever tried it (successfully)?

Also nice to know if someone knows which DX7 settings/patches were used in other Queen songs :-)

Thanks!

Cheers,
Tim

Music is emotion
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6243 posts

Posted: 19 Jan 11, 19:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

AFAIR, A Kind of Magic, Who Wants to Live Forever, One Year of Love, Pain Is So Close to Pleasure, My Baby Does Me, Rain Must Fall, Was It All Worth It and perhaps Don't Lose Your Head.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
BradMay user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 164 posts

Posted: 19 Jan 11, 19:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Live they used the DX-7 with Syn-Orchestra patch from Rom 2A or 2B for I Want To Break Free.

TobyBarnett user not visiting Queenzone.com
TobyBarnett
Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 8 posts

Posted: 15 May 12, 20:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I bought a DX7 last year (one reason was for the 'WWTLF' syn-orch sound, alone!) Great synth, and not as difficult to program as it's made out to be!
Just thinking now, the chimes (0:10) Princes of the Universe is the Tubular Bell preset on the DX7
As for One Vision, I'm convinced it's NOT the DX7 on the recording! Sorry :( None of the DX7 string presets sound anywhere near to One Vision and it doesn't really sound like FM synthesis to me.. the thing that convinced me - in the 'making of' video for One Vision, Brian IS playing a DX7, however (this is extreme observation skill here!), I can't see any cable connected to the audio output on the DX7. Only the MIDI out cable (about 6" along, on the back left of the synth). So basically, I'm sure it was just being used at the time to control some other synth/sound module in the studio at that time

around 7:45 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnI4oLgoYaI&feature=related

Sorry for the longgg explanation.. I don't know what was actually used for that string sound I'm afraid. Think I read somewhere it was an E-mu Emulator, but no evidence to support that!

Innuendo album is fullll of Korg M1 presets btw!.. I might put a little video up on youtube with DX7/Korg M1 queen sounds :)

Fireplace user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 880 posts

Posted: 16 May 12, 06:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It actually reminds me of the modern digital string sounds used for dance/techno music. Short attack and very little release. Might well have been an Emulator module.

inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 16 May 12, 12:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Innuendo album is fullll of Korg M1 presets btw!.. I might put a little video up on youtube with DX7/Korg M1 queen sounds :) "

I would be very interested in that! I have a VST based on the Korg M1, so I'd like to be able to play around with the known presets used on Innuendo :)

Posted: 17 May 12, 05:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

TobyBarnett wrote:

I bought a DX7 last year (one reason was for the 'WWTLF' syn-orch sound, alone!) Great synth, and not as difficult to program as it's made out to be!
Just thinking now, the chimes (0:10) Princes of the Universe is the Tubular Bell preset on the DX7
As for One Vision, I'm convinced it's NOT the DX7 on the recording! Sorry :( None of the DX7 string presets sound anywhere near to One Vision and it doesn't really sound like FM synthesis to me.. the thing that convinced me - in the 'making of' video for One Vision, Brian IS playing a DX7, however (this is extreme observation skill here!), I can't see any cable connected to the audio output on the DX7. Only the MIDI out cable (about 6" along, on the back left of the synth). So basically, I'm sure it was just being used at the time to control some other synth/sound module in the studio at that time

around 7:45 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnI4oLgoYaI&feature=related

Sorry for the longgg explanation.. I don't know what was actually used for that string sound I'm afraid. Think I read somewhere it was an E-mu Emulator, but no evidence to support that!

Innuendo album is fullll of Korg M1 presets btw!.. I might put a little video up on youtube with DX7/Korg M1 queen sounds :)

Music is emotion

Posted: 17 May 12, 05:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ok... my text was missing in my previous post for some reason.

Next try
--------
Hi Toby. That is a very interesting observation! I checked the video and you're absolutely right. Well spotted!

You mean that the synth orchestra preset is used in WWTLF (the intro)? Both studio as well as the live version?

I'm also interested in your Korg M1 facts on the Innuendo album :-)

Slightly Mad uses the Choir preset as far as I know. On the internet you can read here and there that The Show Must Go On uses the Low Orch preset. Indeed, it comes close, but I still think that it does not sound completely identical (but that may be due to some postprocessing in the studio?).

By the way, the string sound at the beginning of It's A Beautiful Day on the Made In Heaven album also sounds very 'Korg M1 like'. It sounds like the Symphonic preset (listen to the string sound that pops in at around 0:21 in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ5ffC1Dp74).

Cheers,
Tim

Music is emotion
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6243 posts

Posted: 18 May 12, 02:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I completely agree regarding One Vision; the DX-7 could've been used to input the notes, and then they could've had the MIDI played using the sound from a different synth, like the K-250 or the CMI.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
ludwigs user not visiting Queenzone.com
ludwigs
Bohemian: 456 posts

Posted: 18 May 12, 12:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I would strongly attest to Toby's ears here. He has done some superb recreations of the aforementioned bits. He sent me the WWTLF solution a few years back but being an incompetent knob I couldn't utilise it....maybe in the near future?
Check out his version of 'Days of Our Lives'.Many people believed he sang over the original track but it was all him!!

TobyBarnett

Posted: 25 Jun 12, 10:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just hooked up my DX7 and recorded a bit of WWTLF!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlEcAmW66fk&feature=youtu.be

'Syn-Orch' preset from ROM cartridge 2b

If I can do a quick video, I'll demo some of the Korg M1 Queen sounds too! :)

Posted: 25 Jun 12, 14:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Cool!
It would be great if you make the Queen-Korg-M1 vids too :-)
Thanks!

Cheers, Tim

Music is emotion
TobyBarnett

Posted: 25 Jun 12, 15:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

..here's the Korg M1 demo :) It's the software version, using the DX7 as a controller.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTWscKad8pQ

I'm sure I've missed some out, but these are the sounds that came to mind!

'Universe' - Don't Try So Hard
'Symphonic' - DTSH/Bijou etc.
'Strings' - DTSH
'Choir' - Slightly Mad
'MagicOrgan' - I Can't Live WIth You (at about 3:06)
'Stratos' - reminded me a bit of the ending to Untitled, on MiH

I probably missed a bunch of them out, and this is just card on for the M1 :)

inu-liger

Posted: 25 Jun 12, 15:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dude, that's pretty fucking awesome!!! I'm sure there's more settings to be found, but great work so far :D

TobyBarnett

Posted: 25 Jun 12, 15:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks! Just remembered, the M1 piano features quite a bit on MiH as well (Let Me Live/Beautiful Day).
Still, the One Vision string sound mystery is unsolved! Could've been anything tbh

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 25 Jun 12, 15:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

wow!!!
no seriously, fucking wow

love it

go deo na h√Čireann
popy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 445 posts

Posted: 25 Jun 12, 18:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

wow double wow

i always searched on youtube for videos of people trying to emulate Queen keyboard/synth sounds (specially if they have "how to"), with pretty much of zero luck. this is awesome :D

Youtube is full of videos of people emulating Pink Floyd's Rick Writght sounds. It's very nice to finally find someone who does the same for Queen keyboard/synth sounds. Anyone knows more youtube users doing that for Queen sounds?

inu-liger

Posted: 25 Jun 12, 21:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

TobyBarnett wrote: Thanks! Just remembered, the M1 piano features quite a bit on MiH as well (Let Me Live/Beautiful Day).
Still, the One Vision string sound mystery is unsolved! Could've been anything tbh

I'm sure if the fan community can keep pursuing this research, we'll eventually find at least some sort of a reasonable answer :-)

ploughman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 90 posts

Posted: 26 Jun 12, 15:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

TobyBarnett wrote:
..here's the Korg M1 demo :) It's the software version, using the DX7 as a controller.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTWscKad8pQ
I'm sure I've missed some out, but these are the sounds that came to mind!
'Universe' - Don't Try So Hard
'Symphonic' - DTSH/Bijou etc.
'Strings' - DTSH
'Choir' - Slightly Mad
'MagicOrgan' - I Can't Live WIth You (at about 3:06)
'Stratos' - reminded me a bit of the ending to Untitled, on MiH
I probably missed a bunch of them out, and this is just card on for the M1 :)

Wow! Did you really get these sound with Korg Legacy M1 Software synth? In that case, I need this machine too. Wow again!

You've been doing a superb job with this. Do you know if by any chance, there is a possibility to get taht WWTLF - intro sound separately to load it to another machine? Or is the only way just to buy the real thing?

I have to explain: we are playing with a Queen tributeband, "One Vision" in Finland and our keyboardist is using Roland Fantom X6. Of course, if we could be able to get that DX7 sound uploaded somehow to his machine that would make things lot more easier than just bringin two keyboards... But I guess this isn't possible...or is it?

https://www.facebook.com/#!/queentributeonevision

"I'd love to see 70's Queen concerts on DVD!"
TobyBarnett

Posted: 26 Jun 12, 16:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@ploughman Thanks! Yep, they're on 'card' 1 of the Korg software. I guess it's just how the real synth comes!

As for the WWTLF, I'm not familiar with the Fantom x6.. but I'd guess it's not just as simple as loading a particular sound. Although DX7 patches can be used with some software FM synths, I doubt any current keyboard would read the data.

Just a thought.. if the Fantom allows short audio files to be imported directly via usb, it could be possible to use a DX7 sample (I'd happily provide some), to play back using the keyboard.