Forums > Queen - General Discussion > What Do You Think Are The Most Underrated/Overrated Queen Gigs (Debate)?

forum rss feed
Author

Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3184 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Feb 11, 02:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Here's a topic we can have fun with (my lists aren't in order):

Underrated:

1. Buenos Aires (3/1/1981): This gig often gets overlooked during the 1981 era (most people talk about Sao Paulo, Monterrey, Puebla, Montreal, etc), but it is filled with many wonderful musical and vocal moments (plus an underrated Somebody To Love).

2. Dundee (12/13/1975): When people talk about Queen in 1975, Hammersmith 1975 is usually the concert that's brought up. After listening to this concert, I believe that it's leaps and bounds above it (band isn't nervous, Freddie/Brian aren't ill, Freddie's in better voice, etc).

3. Edinburgh (9/2/1976): This is overlooked because of Hyde Park. I feel that the whole gig was overall better (band wasn't nervous, Freddie's voice is in better shape, encores were played, etc).

4. Newcastle (12/3/1979): Most people talk about the 2nd Newcastle concert (rightfully so--it's an incredible gig), but the 1st concert often gets neglected. There's some renditions of songs that are either on par/better than the more famous concert.

Overrated:

1. Wembley (7/12/1986): The show has a wonderful atmosphere, but I feel that the band put on better shows on the tour (Leiden concerts, Brussels, Mannheim, etc). Freddie's voice wasn't in the best shape (wasn't too bad though), and there's some moments of nervousness.

2. Hyde Park (9/18/1976): While the gig itself is good, I feel that the Edinburgh concert was overall better. There was a nervous edge during the Hyde Park concert, which sometimes affected the performances in some way (Freddie wavering on notes, etc).

3. Hammersmith (12/24/1975): While I want this concert to be released, I feel that there are better gigs on the 1975 leg of the Opera Tour (Dundee, Liverpool, Manchester, etc). Most of the other gigs don't get mentioned that much, but Hammy 1975 always gets thrown around.

4. Houston (12/11/1977): This show isn't as overrated as most, but I feel that Philly 1977, and the NY 1977 shows were more solid (the atmosphere was incredible during those concerts--especially during Philly). Houston does have great performances of songs (especially White Man), but after listening to the other 1977 gigs, I find that Philly 1977, and the second NY concert have most of the "best" versions on this tour leg.

I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
Soundfreak user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 378 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 11, 04:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it's impossible to really rate a concert especially when a video is all you have.
What you get there is not necessesarily a real representation of the actual concert. What may have been absolutely exciting when being there may look quite boring on video due to a poor camera or sound mix.

I have learned that lesson many years ago attending a rock concert that was filmed for tv. There was Meat Loaf performing in his "better days". The show was absolutely stunning, although I'm not a fan of his work. But - on tv it was a nightmare cause he sang off key most of the times. You didn't notice while being there....
Another popular german band called "Spliff" also performed there and presented a set of new german songs for the first time. The audience was booing....they hated those songs as the band was famous for a concept show in english with a different singer. On TV this show was cleverly edited to make it look like a very successful performance....

These are two extreme examples of course, but the same goes for every concert cause you can't capture the actual excitement in a building neither on tape nor on video.
A good example in case of Queen is Earls Court 77. We have no idea of the audience and how they reacted that night. All we can rate is the poor camera and bad lightning. But those who were there will have a different perspective. 

So you can't really rate it...except for the quality of the recording.

Planetgurl user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 218 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 11, 11:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Soundfreak wrote:

A good example in case of Queen is Earls Court 77. We have no idea of the audience and how they reacted that night. All we can rate is the poor camera and bad lightning. But those who were there will have a different perspective. 

Yep, altho' I wasn't there and have seen the footage - bit dodgy in places - the reviews were great for Earls Court. I too wish they'd shot other gigs on the ANATO tour. That Christmas Eve gig pales in comparison to other gigs on that tour where there was carnage....

jamster1111 user not visiting Queenzone.com
jamster1111
Bohemian: 844 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 11, 12:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Add Live Aid to that overrated list!

It's late, but it's time to set me free

It's late, yes I know but there's no way it has to be

Too late, so let the fire take our bodies this night

So late, so let the waters take our guilt in the t
jamster1111

Posted: 06 Feb 11, 12:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh and add some of those gigs from the short UK tour of 1978 to the underrated list. Everyone thinks Fred's last great performance before the Crazy Tour was Copenhagen but no, he's even stronger at the Stafford and London gigs. Plus, they are at home so they are great gigs. I just wish we had better quality of at least one of them.

Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth

Posted: 06 Feb 11, 19:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think Live Aid is slightly overrated in terms of "the absolute greatest Queen gig." But there is plenty of evidence to back up Live Aid being the best performance there. You've got the ENTIRE crowd clapping to Radio Ga Ga, We Will Rock You, and We Are The Champions, Freddie in excellent voice, and Brian being on fire throughout the gig.

I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth

Posted: 06 Feb 11, 19:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As for the UK 1978 gigs--Freddie's voice is on par with Copenhagen, but the overall atmosphere is better at the UK shows. Those shows are also underrated.

The Real Wizard user is on Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18631 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 11, 21:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Gregsynth wrote:

I think Live Aid is slightly overrated in terms of "the absolute greatest Queen gig."

===============

If anything it's underrated.

How many concert performances connected with as many people as Queen did at Live Aid?  As far as I'm concerned it's the single greatest concert by any rock band.  Queen ruled the world that day.

Zeppelin at the O2 Arena in 2007 may be in that league - 30 million people applied for tickets.  Sure, the boys aren't the same players they were 40 years ago, but the atmosphere at that show was probably the greatest thing most of those 20,000 people will ever experience.

One day you'll hopefully realize that there's more to a concert than what notes the band played and what notes the singer hit..

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth

Posted: 06 Feb 11, 21:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm just talking about the comments of "Live Aid Was the absolute best Queen gig ever." It's like the fans that only talk about Wembley 1986!

I think Queen's Live Aid performance was the absolute best performance on that whole event, though.

Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth

Posted: 06 Feb 11, 21:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And for the "overrated" comments, it's just simply that it's only 20 minutes (especially if you compare it to other awesome concerts that were full Queen concerts).

I wouldn't have mentioned Live Aid if it weren't for Jamster1111! Blame him! haha

Kamenliter user not visiting Queenzone.com
Kamenliter
Bohemian: 148 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 11, 23:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think Live Aid is amazing and that's the single best performance of Radio Ga-Ga I've heard..especially the ending with Freddie's 'whoah-ohh-ohhh' and Brian following with a matching guitar line. The crack on Champions, though, always hurts! :)

Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth

Posted: 06 Feb 11, 23:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Kamenliter wrote: I think Live Aid is amazing and that's the single best performance of Radio Ga-Ga I've heard..especially the ending with Freddie's 'whoah-ohh-ohhh' and Brian following with a matching guitar line. The crack on Champions, though, always hurts! :)
=======

Yeah, I can't find a version of Radio Ga Ga that beats that version (atmosphere, vocally, etc)!

kosimodo user is on Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 554 posts

Posted: 07 Feb 11, 03:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yep! Radio Gaga is stunning.. Remember.. This wasnt a Queen crowd!

Wembley '86 i never play on my CDplayer... But i do watch sometimes the DVD.

It is a fun show to watch.. But it hurts my ears!!

Bad Seed user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bad Seed
Bohemian: 520 posts

Posted: 07 Feb 11, 06:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Couldn't agree more about Live Aid, simply stunning. I remember watching the 10th anniversary on the BBC when one of the directors (or someone to do with the day) said, 'whether you like their music or not, you cannot deny that it was one of the greatest performances anyone has ever done, anywhere, ever'!  Couldn't have put it any better.

Agree with Buenos Aires too. For me this way outshines the Sao Paulo show. Such a pity it wasn't included as a bonus to Montreal.

jamster1111

Posted: 07 Feb 11, 09:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote: Gregsynth wrote:

I think Live Aid is slightly overrated in terms of "the absolute greatest Queen gig."

===============

If anything it's underrated.

How many concert performances connected with as many people as Queen did at Live Aid?  As far as I'm concerned it's the single greatest concert by any rock band.  Queen ruled the world that day.

Zeppelin at the O2 Arena in 2007 may be in that league - 30 million people applied for tickets.  Sure, the boys aren't the same players they were 40 years ago, but the atmosphere at that show was probably the greatest thing most of those 20,000 people will ever experience.

One day you'll hopefully realize that there's more to a concert than what notes the band played and what notes the singer hit..
I don't just go by what notes a singer hits. I go by how the music is performed. Apart from Radio Ga Ga, the performances of songs really are not as great as people say. Most of them are rushed and would have been performed much better if they slowed it down a tad...but I can't blame them, they we're probably nervous as hell. 

Yes the atmosphere was great but there were a lot of concerts where Freddie connected thousands of people. 

The reason why i say it's overrated is because it's the center of many Queen live discussions, and plus, they're even making a movie out of it!

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6326 posts

Posted: 07 Feb 11, 09:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In terms of impact, being the highlight of an important event, blah blah blah of course Live Aid is a milestone. BUT, in terms of performance, Queen had 50+ better nights.

Same for the Tribute: great as a Iommi + May + Taylor + Daltrey + Deacon combo is, I still prefer Mercury + May + Taylor + Deacon.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Bo Alex user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bo Alex
Bohemian: 494 posts

Posted: 07 Feb 11, 12:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

IMHO, Hyde Park is very overrated. The overall performance sucks. The 39 version is ugly, and I've always hate the Brighton Rock outro in Flick Of The Wrist
Also Live Aid is very overrated in my opinion: undoubtly it was a huge moment in Queen carrer, but the band made so many mistakes in a very short time: just take a look at Hammer To Fall's end. Also, Freddie couldn't get some notes wiht his voice. They were dressed terrible too (especially John and Freddie). 

Underrated: Montreal 1981. Fantastic performance, despite the extremely quiet audience.

Sorry for my English! Cheers!!

A man who learnt how to teach, but forgot how to learn.

A la grande le puse cuca!!
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth

Posted: 07 Feb 11, 13:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote: In terms of impact, being the highlight of an important event, blah blah blah of course Live Aid is a milestone. BUT, in terms of performance, Queen had 50+ better nights.
========

My point exactly. I'd like to also add that Live Aid is probably in the top bracket for "atmosphere/crowd participation."

philip storey user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 521 posts

Posted: 07 Feb 11, 14:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I thought that Freddie looked fantastic at live aid ,great pair of jeans and a pair of trainers to die for!!!! Oh and that studded arm band.Great set,one of the best days of my life ,Cold beer,Sex mad girlfriend,Hot day,Fred struts his stuff !!Perfect!!

Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth

Posted: 07 Feb 11, 14:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Concerning Freddie's vocal performances on Live Aid--I recently found out that the guy had freakin' laryngitis while performing:

On another point, Freddie does have some vocal milestones: It's the first time he actually sang Bohemian Rhapsody's 1st verse RIGHT (none of that undersinging, scoop singing, or oversinging stuff he tends to do). It took Freddie 10 years to sing the verse with the right phrasing. :D  Concerning Radio Ga Ga, it's his best vocal performance of the song, for Hammer To Fall, it's probably his best vocal performance of that song. Crazy Little Thing Called Love is awesome, We Will Rock You is nice (though sadly the whole song wasn't played), and We Are The Champions is great (despite the minor flubs in the vocal). The Champions from this show deserves props, because it's the only time he ever sang the chorus correctly (on all Bb4s).