Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Queen's first performance - Truro 1970

forum rss feed
Author

Queen1234 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 1 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Feb 11, 05:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi...
Does anybody remember or was anybody at Queen (Or Smiles) first performance at Truro City Hall on 27th June, 1970?

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 11 Feb 11, 07:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wasn't there, but I remember it very clearly.

Freddie was a great showman, even back then, when he had hardly any stage experience. They were great, they played Earth, Step on Me, Keep Yourself Alive, , Blag, Stone Cold Crazy and Mother Love. Brian was great and alread did a similar solo that he would in Brighton Rock. Paul McCartney was great as a bassplayer, I wonder why they let him go. And Roger played with a couple of fish in his floor tom. One of the best shows I've seen.

Yes, I remember it very vividly, as if it were yesterday.

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Thistleboy1980 user not visiting Queenzone.com
You wanna ring the bell?
Thistleboy1980
Deity: 3053 posts

Posted: 11 Feb 11, 07:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FriedChicken wrote: I wasn't there, but I remember it very clearly.

Freddie was a great showman, even back then, when he had hardly any stage experience. They were great, they played Earth, Step on Me, Keep Yourself Alive, , Blag, Stone Cold Crazy and Mother Love. Brian was great and alread did a similar solo that he would in Brighton Rock. Paul McCartney was great as a bassplayer, I wonder why they let him go. And Roger played with a couple of fish in his floor tom. One of the best shows I've seen.

Yes, I remember it very vividly, as if it were yesterday.

============================================================================================

No, that was Gregory Mullen and his band, One Night Of Queen For A Day.

Actually, I WAS there in Truro that night, and I remember thinking "who is the bunch of poncy poofs???".

Freddie was a terrible showman back then, and his voice hadn't properly developed so he sounded like a cat stuck in a mangle.  True.

It ain't about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit: how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18635 posts

Posted: 11 Feb 11, 09:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Feel free to read up about the show on my website.  I've compiled a lot of information from various sources.  But the best quote has to be from Roger about Freddie during this period - "He sounded a bit like a very powerful sheep."

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Wiley user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts

Posted: 11 Feb 11, 09:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote: Feel free to read up about the show on my website.  I've compiled a lot of information from various sources.  But the best quote has to be from Roger about Freddie during this period - "He sounded a bit like a very powerful sheep."
---------------------

Hahahaha! You gotta love Roger's quotes. He usually makes very funny comments and he tends to says revealing things that Brian would never say (because they 'tarnish' Queen's legacy or something).

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18635 posts

Posted: 11 Feb 11, 11:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's just a difference in personality, I guess !

Bri and Rog were on Scottish TV last month doing a WWRY plug, and they were talking about past concerts in Glasgow.  Roger said - "Can the guy who pinched my cymbals about 35 years ago please give them back?"  Gotta love him.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca