Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > The best / worst LP side

forum rss feed
Author

kozlorf user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 10 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Feb 11, 03:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's quite common that people point out their favourite or most hated albums, but I think that choosing the best / worst LP side is somehow different. Actually, when most of the Queen albums came out, people used to listen and play separate LP sides rather than whole LPs - and it might have been, that they played one side many many times while never listening to the other.

My picks are (even if I don't consider these two albums as the best / the worst (Queen II and A King Of Magic are the respective ones)):
The best: Side B of Sheer Heart Attack - all the songs are different, but work well together, the opening and closing track have a common theme, so there's a feeling of a beginning and end of a whole; it somehow reminds me of Side B of Abbey Road; and no Roger Taylor song ;)
The worst: Side B of The Game: even if I consider Save Me and Sail Away as one of my personal favourites, the remaining songs are for me the biggest set of junk Queen ever produced; two of them are Roger Taylor songs ;)

eggy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3358 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 11, 07:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The best side of music Queen produced is side B of Queen II.

The worst excluding Flash / Cosmos Rocks would be side B of The Game for me too, besides Save Me there isn't really anything that grabs me.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18639 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 11, 10:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Give another listen to Sail Away Sweet Sister.  It's one of the best tracks Brian ever wrote.  But I can see how the rest of side B didn't turn your crank.

Myself, I'd just have to pick side B of A Kind Of Magic, because of the filler in there.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Russian Headlong user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 496 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 11, 11:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Side two of Queen 2 is the best, worst definitely side 1 of Hot Space, Utter Crap. Las Palabras, Put Out the Fire and Under Pressure are the only tracks worth listening to on Hot Space.

"Give it to me one more time!"
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 11, 16:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

queen II - side black

akom - side shitter

go deo na hÉireann
ITSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1021 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 11, 16:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Best: Side A on Queen (I) and Side B (black) on Queen II

Worst: Side A on A Kind of Magic and Side B on The Game

Chuck Norris never sleeps, he waits...
PrimeJiveUSA user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 267 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 11, 19:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Best: Side Black Queen II

Worst: Side 1 "The Works"(although I love Radio Ga Ga).

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts

Posted: 16 Feb 11, 03:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good question, and difficult to answer.

First thought for worst was The Game, side 2. But I couldn't pick a side which has the exellent Rock It, Sail Away Sweet Sister and Save Me. Next was side 2 of The Works. Again though, I really like Machines and Hammer so that's out. So probably A Kind of Magic side 2, but even that's hard as it has two of the best Queen tracks (WWtoLF and Princes) and two of the worst (Gimme the Prize and Don't Lose Your Head -- although the former is, at least, heavy, which is always good). I'm not going to jump on the Hot Space bandwagon as Staying Power and Backchat are good on side one, and Side 2 has Under Pressure, Life is Real and Las Palabras.

Best single side is probably Side Black from Queen 2, Side one from Heart Attack, either side of A Night at the Opera (both great), Side 2 of Races or Side 2 of News. I'll go with the last one since it has a run of tracks which shows Queen's diversity and showcases fantastic playing and songwriting (I'll ignore Get Down Make Love and pretend it never happened :)

"Sleeping on the Sidewalk"  
"Who Needs You"  
"It's Late"  
"My Melancholy Blues"

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 16 Feb 11, 07:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Get down make love never happened?....wow, that's a shame since it did have an influence on artists such as NIN and the foo fighter's.    Queen2 side black and side B from A night at The Opera is pretty much tied for first.  Side A from sheer Heart attack is right there as well.   The worst is maybe side A from The miracle.  The first two tracks arn't so great, and Invisible man never been a favorite of mine.

Shaving Foamasi user not visiting Queenzone.com
Shaving Foamasi
Rocker: 24 posts

Posted: 16 Feb 11, 08:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Toughie

Best: Much as I love Side Black of Queen II, for me it comes down to either Side One of Sheer Heart Attack or Side Two of News of the World but I'll go for Sheer Heart Attack...

Worst: Side Two of The Game is poor but A Kind of Magic has so much filler that either side may qualify - but I'll opt for Side Two...

Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003

Posted: 16 Feb 11, 09:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mike hunt wrote: Get down make love never happened?....wow, that's a shame since it did have an influence on artists such as NIN and the foo fighter's.   
In the case of the former, no big loss if NIN never existed. They should;ve been called Nine Inch Noise. Although they're big Queen fans, I don't see any evidence of any particular GDML influence in Foo Fighter songs.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
MERQRY user not visiting Queenzone.com
MERQRY
Bohemian: 746 posts

Posted: 16 Feb 11, 10:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Holly2003 wrote: Good question, and difficult to answer.

First thought for worst was The Game, side 2. But I couldn't pick a side which has the exellent Rock It, Sail Away Sweet Sister and Save Me. Next was side 2 of The Works. Again though, I really like Machines and Hammer so that's out. So probably A Kind of Magic side 2, but even that's hard as it has two of the best Queen tracks (WWtoLF and Princes) and two of the worst (Gimme the Prize and Don't Lose Your Head -- although the former is, at least, heavy, which is always good). I'm not going to jump on the Hot Space bandwagon as Staying Power and Backchat are good on side one, and Side 2 has Under Pressure, Life is Real and Las Palabras.

Best single side is probably Side Black from Queen 2, Side one from Heart Attack, either side of A Night at the Opera (both great), Side 2 of Races or Side 2 of News. I'll go with the last one since it has a run of tracks which shows Queen's diversity and showcases fantastic playing and songwriting (I'll ignore Get Down Make Love and pretend it never happened :)

"Sleeping on the Sidewalk"  
"Who Needs You"  
"It's Late"  
"My Melancholy Blues"
----------------------------------
Well in the 1977 argentinian "News Of The World" lp Get Down Make Love doesn`t exists ha ha
anyway for me the song is not bad at all....

"I will destroy any man who dares abuse my trust" Freddie Mercury
Benn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1332 posts

Posted: 16 Feb 11, 10:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For me - BOTH sides of The Works qualify as the very worst material I have on my shelves.  The only saving graces are Keep Passing The Open Windows and Hammer To Fall, although these too suffer from the over reliance on synths and processors.

Have to agree wholeheartedly with Holly - NOTW side 2 just pips Queen 2 side 2 as the best.

Benn

Posted: 17 Feb 11, 06:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Holly2003 wrote: mike hunt wrote: Get down make love never happened?....wow, that's a shame since it did have an influence on artists such as NIN and the foo fighter's.   
In the case of the former, no big loss if NIN never existed. They should;ve been called Nine Inch Noise. Although they're big Queen fans, I don't see any evidence of any particular GDML influence in Foo Fighter songs.

no offense,  GDML has never been an all time favorite of mine,  but the way you made it sound as if it's one of queen's worst,  it's a cool song as far as i'm concerned.....   It was a part of queens set list for years, and is played on the radio to this day more often than most non hit songs.  The foo fighter's have mentioned it.  when brian played on one of their songs (could be solo) I believe either hawkins or Dave said they wanted some GDML styled licks from him.  Just  Recently I heard it on the radio (Eddie trunk).  not bad for a horrible song.  still played on the radio 30+ years after it's release.   I'm not a NIN fan,  but plenty of people are.

spaceboy1972 user not visiting Queenzone.com
spaceboy1972
Champion: 73 posts

Posted: 17 Feb 11, 08:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

At a push, would say side 1 of Hot Space, but then some of versions they played at Milton Keynes sound awesome!

Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003

Posted: 17 Feb 11, 14:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mike hunt wrote:

no offense,  GDML has never been an all time favorite of mine,  but the way you made it sound as if it's one of queen's worst,  it's a cool song as far as i'm concerned.....   It was a part of queens set list for years, and is played on the radio to this day more often than most non hit songs.  The foo fighter's have mentioned it.  when brian played on one of their songs (could be solo) I believe either hawkins or Dave said they wanted some GDML styled licks from him.  Just  Recently I heard it on the radio (Eddie trunk).  not bad for a horrible song.  still played on the radio 30+ years after it's release.   I'm not a NIN fan,  but plenty of people are.

No offence taken. It just doesn't float my boat. The guitar noise in the middle is a Zeppelin rip off and the suggestive lyrics are unoriginal. The only time it rises above average is the line "you make love, you make love etc" with Brian playing along with the vocal. Aside from that, it doesn;t match up to the great quality of the rest of the album. IMO of course.

GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts

Posted: 17 Feb 11, 17:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like some of the musical elements of GDML well enough, some quite well really, but sections of the lyrics are frank to the point of being distracting.  It's hard not to be pretty keenly aware you're in the middle of a sonic version of gay male sex, and that does somehow get in the way a bit.  Nine Inch Nails' cover and video tried to repurpose it as a sexy hetero grind, but it didn't really work.  The tone of the lyrics is just subtly off for that.

Posted: 18 Feb 11, 07:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

o please with that gay bullshit........Those lryics could have been written by a straight man.   "I give you meat"  "you blow my Head"   i don't hear how the lryics are gay at all,  it's just the homophobia in straight people that makes them think about such things.  what are you afraid of?.....that you might like it?......Again,   if a straight man wrote those same lryics you wouldn't think nothing about it.    Freddie was writing these kind of sexual lryics way before Madonna was even thought of.

tcc user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1581 posts

Posted: 18 Feb 11, 08:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I can't resist posting this:

Everybody get down make peace :-)

GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts

Posted: 18 Feb 11, 14:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mike hunt wrote: o please with that gay bullshit........Those lryics could have been written by a straight man.   "I give you meat"  "you blow my Head"   i don't hear how the lryics are gay at all,  it's just the homophobia in straight people that makes them think about such things.  what are you afraid of?.....that you might like it?......Again,   if a straight man wrote those same lryics you wouldn't think nothing about it.    Freddie was writing these kind of sexual lryics way before Madonna was even thought of.
========================

Ohforgodsake.  It's got nothing to do with homophobia in any way.  My point is, though the differences are subtle, a straight man in unlikely to have written precisely those lyrics.  Does the word "meat" rank highly in the seduction toolkit of your average heterosexual male?  I would hazard to say no.  Typically straight men do not structure innuendo around the phrases "I suck" and "You blow".  They don't generally say things like "when you take me".  I didn't say it made me uncomfortable, I said it gets in the way of me connecting lyrically with the song because I'm pretty much 100% sure he's not talking to me.

Freddie's love songs though certainly almost exclusively inspired by romantic longing for other men pose no such problem because love is love is love.  They're wonderful and universal.