Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > embarrassing songs.

forum rss feed
Author

chris the unhappy sheep user not visiting Queenzone.com
chris the unhappy sheep
Rocker: 32 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Feb 11, 01:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

one thing i like about this forum is that, people here are not afraid to critisize the band. i've seen some forums that seem to have a load of teenyboppers as members and LOVE anything and everything queen.

anyway, are there any queen tunes that have you cringing in embarrassment?
for me they are: meloncholy blues, don't try so hard, get down make love, white queen, most of hot space, most of the game, teo torriatte, don't try so hard, its a hard life, almost all of the miracle, these are the days of our lives, delilah, and the show must go on.

rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1566 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 11, 01:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

None of their songs I find "embarrassing," even the ones I skip.

Also, just curious, why is it a bad thing to like everything Queen has done? I'm just throwing this out there, but if a fan recognizes that a) not every other fan will agree, and b) that by some arbitrary or subjective measure some songs are "bad," why is the fan precluded from still liking every song? More to the point, why is liking both the "good" songs and "bad" songs a bad thing? Must a fan hold a critical position towards certain releases (song, album, re-issue) by a band they like or love?

chris the unhappy sheep

Posted: 24 Feb 11, 02:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

well imo, i would be totally shocked if a fan loved everything the band[or any other] has ever released, i personally find that to be impossible.

about those other forums i've looked into over the years. i have found the members far too 'nice', when it comes to the band. if brian for instance, released a single of him farting, they would go on about just how great it was! do you get what i mean?

these people remind me of the teenyboppers of the 70s, when i was a teenager. i was pretty much the same actually. i'd argue that queen were the greatest band of all-time.[no such thing as the greatest.]      i'd start going on and on about just how fantastic slade, the sweet, bowie, or whoever were. no one can play the guitar like 'so and so.' 'such and such' is the greatest vocalist ever. these artists could do no wrong.

its only as i got a little bit more mature that i could stand back and see just how silly my, and my friends view were.  of course the reason for all that was because these bands had such an effect on us, and we felt something that we'd never felt before.[as we were so young and these were the first bands we had seriously gotten into.] so thats what i mean by teenybopper.

so what is bad about loving everything that queen has released? i can't believe there are people who honestly love every single song by any band. perhaps people here will come back and say thats just how they feel about queen's music? every song is great!

plumrach user not visiting Queenzone.com
plumrach
Bohemian: 716 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 11, 04:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Chris wrote
one thing i like about this forum is that, people here are not afraid to critisize the band. i've seen some forums that seem to have a load of teenyboppers as members and LOVE anything and everything queen.

for me they are: meloncholy blues, don't try so hard, get down make love, white queen, most of hot space, most of the game, teo torriatte, don't try so hard, its a hard life, almost all of the miracle, these are the days of our lives, delilah, and the show must go on.

May i ask whats embarassing about Its a hard life, These are the days and The Show must go on?

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6256 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 11, 04:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I find "Cool Cat" extremely embarassing.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

chris the unhappy sheep

Posted: 24 Feb 11, 06:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

well to me, 'the show must go on' has cheesy lyrics. the line about his makeup may be flaking is particularly awful.  it reminds me of the old sinatra/minnelli song 'my way'.                                                 it makes me feel like the author is saying something like, poor old me, i tried my best, i sacrificed everything for you, now give me sympathy as i've done really good. of course everyone makes what they will when it comes to lyrics.

'these are the days of our lives'.  as well as it being one of their 'soft' songs which i simply don't like, its the sentimentality that gets to me, it comes across as being fake.

'its a hard life'. again i can't really believe the words i hear being sung. it seems really false to me.         because it sounds fake, i feel embarrassed by it. its the 'poor little me' thing again. out of the 3 songs its this one that makes me wanna spew.

oligneisti user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 60 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 11, 07:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I adore many or most of the over the top and/or funny ones which seem to annoy the thread starter. In my view those are among the most Queenlike of allt Queen songs.

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 11, 07:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love every song the thread starter mentioned,  Is this a "look at me" thread?...i need attention so i'll call the classics "the show must go on" and "these are the days of our lives" embarrassing.    No song is Embarrassing,  but of course they're a few i don't like.   most of roger's songs fall flat for me.  O f course he does have his gems to.  Body language,  Dancer,  tear it up, Invisible man, party,  and a few others.  Nothing I would say is embarrassing though.   All my favorite artists has songs and albums i don't like,  especially an artist that's been around for 10, 20, 30, 40,  or 50 years.

zephead2112 user not visiting Queenzone.com
zephead2112
Bohemian: 104 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 11, 07:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

White Queen? Wow. One of their best IMHO....just beautiful.

I'm not sure if "embarrasing" is the correct adjective but I know what you are getting at so to answer the question, 'Cool Cat' and 'Delilah' would probably be near or at the top of the list.

plumrach

Posted: 24 Feb 11, 07:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@chris

thanks for your reply

i will have to disagree with you though!!!!

sexmachine user not visiting Queenzone.com
ready to reload
sexmachine
Bohemian: 466 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 11, 07:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i understand what you mean.
i feel very uncomfortable if i am in a supermarket with friends and overplayed stuff like iwtbf, radio gaga, watc/wwrc comes from a house stereo or radio.
last year i played "strange frontier" on my car-stereo to find out what crap music this is if you hear it from an objective point of view. all the emotional stuff can be very embarassing if you don´t see it from a queen-fans point of view.
at least my friends don´t know what a stupid wimp brian may turned out to be lately and what qp is doing to us.
that would be embarassing.

Picture yourself in a boat on a river with tangerine trees and marmalade skies.
lifetimefanofqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
lifetimefanofqueen
Royalty: 1328 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 11, 08:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

bring back that leroy brown......argh i'll get use to it in time and grow to love it i bet

lifetimefanofqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
lifetimefanofqueen
Royalty: 1328 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 11, 08:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

zephead2112 wrote: White Queen? Wow. One of their best IMHO....just beautiful.

I'm not sure if "embarrasing" is the correct adjective but I know what you are getting at so to answer the question, 'Cool Cat' and 'Delilah' would probably be near or at the top of the list.

====================================
aye, white Queen is beautiful, i listened to it on the way to my great nans funeral and every time i hear it i think of her, but in a good way, i remember the funny old lady she was
"thy look back and no tears shed from thy eyes as joyful memories hit thy mind"

master marathon runner user not visiting Queenzone.com
master marathon runner
Royalty: 1237 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 11, 08:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

chris the unhappy sheep wrote: one thing i like about this forum is that, people here are not afraid to critisize the band. i've seen some forums that seem to have a load of teenyboppers as members and LOVE anything and everything queen.

You've obviously been drinking.

Master Marathon Runner.

Master Marathon Runner
chris the unhappy sheep

Posted: 24 Feb 11, 09:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ale Solan user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sod off.
Ale Solan
Deity: 8973 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 11, 09:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I remember when this forum was actually of serious discussion.

Ale Solan user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sod off.
Ale Solan
Deity: 8973 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 11, 09:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

if there's booze in here, I'll stay (?)

Freddie Mercury. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 14 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 11, 10:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i find cool cat, delilah and mustapha embarrissing, but songs like my melancholy blues, these are the days of our lives and the show must go on is some of my absolute favourites.

plumrach

Posted: 24 Feb 11, 10:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i too think my melamcholy blues is great, such a beautiful sounding song, very relaxing to listen to as well

chris the unhappy sheep

Posted: 24 Feb 11, 10:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

wrong, i gave up drinking about 20yrs ago. although the way that these posts are hit or miss whether they come out or not, i'm thinking of starting again!