Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Is A Night At The Opera In the shadow of other great bands albums Of the 7

forum rss feed
Author

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2756 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Feb 11, 08:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

How does A Night At The Opera stand up to say Zep4 or The stones popular albums, or the Who's Next?.....I think opera holds it's own, but some might say it's the weakest of all these albums.  In the shadow of the The stones,  ect.   How great do Queen fans think Opera really was compared to their contemporaries?

PrimeJiveUSA user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 267 posts

Posted: 27 Feb 11, 10:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Unfortunately, the general public sees Queen as more of a "singles band and not an "album" band.

It's a shame, because I would hold up ANY of Queen's albums of the '70's to the 3 artists that you mentioned.

rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1566 posts

Posted: 27 Feb 11, 11:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My understanding is Led Zepppelin was never really a singles-oriented band. Yes, they released singles, but their popularity was based on issuing rock solid albums. The same went for Rush, who also released singles but their fanbase was built of the strength of epic albums. 

Queen's success was partly (mostly?) based on having an ear second to none when it came to picking singles and putting them forward, the result being two and a half Hits albums worth of successful songs. For sure, they could rock out with stellar albums, but because they could string together popular rock hits, where Zeppelin appealed to a less broad market (rock afionados and concert goers, less radio listeners), Queen built that legacy. 

I'd like to add, though, that Queen is recognized by album fans as having at least few that stand up to anything other bands put out. Maybe that's where the push to focus on the albums is coming from, resulting is the Deep Cuts collection.

jazzy mercurois user not visiting Queenzone.com
Holy shred!
jazzy mercurois
Royalty: 1716 posts

Posted: 27 Feb 11, 15:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Are you serious?
OPERA compared to... anything by Led Zeppelin?

If A Night At The Opera were just Death on Two Legs and Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon, it'd already be far better than anything Led Zeppelin did on their career, put together.
On everything.

But I would compare A Night at the Opera with Out of the Blue by the Electric Light Orchestra. I'd stick for Queen but you can't ignore how brilliant some songs on that album (Out of the Blue) are.

CONLACANTINACONLACANTORACONLATELEVISIONGASTADORA
Holy shred!
jazzy mercurois

Posted: 27 Feb 11, 16:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

br5946 wrote:

1. Brian could kick Jimmy Page's butt to Neptune just by using one hand and being blindfolded.

Personally, I don't really like Stairway to Heaven. Mainly because its so freaking overrated. You can't believe how many 'greatest rock songs' lists have it at #1. It's unthinkable. What really annoys me is when Bohemian is 2nd on somebody's list, and Stairway beats it to the top. How in the name of all things heavy and rocking is that possible?!??!!?? If you think I'm being paranoid and making that claim up, search on Youtube. Such a thing has happened at least three times on seperate lists. People say 'oh Stairway is the holy grail, it goes through so many musical changes...' - PFFFFTT to that! The song has a plain repetitive guitar melody that never changes in any way for about five-and-a-half minutes, then a minute-long solo by Page which sounds like he did it backwards while drunk, then a minute-and-a-half section that barely qualifies as hard rock. Sorry to any Zeppelin fans, but I'm on the backlash side.
I agree.
But I do like the song, it's a nice song.
The problem is... as you said, it's the same thing going on, for hours. No changes, no arrangements... no nothing!

There's a version by John Miles, which is very nice.
Of course Mr. Miles is a much muuuuuuuuch better singer than Plant but still being much better performed than the original, it's still an 8 minute song which could be a 4 minute one and be the same.
Besides... the heavy medieval folk-feel... I mean, really? What's original about that?

Not that it SHOULD be original but you need to see something different in that song if you're gonna compare it with Bo Rhap.
What I see is a song... a nice song, poorly performed by Led Zeppelin. By other performers, it could be perfectly played and all but it's still a nice song, not more than that.
It doesn't really have any musical element that stands out as brilliant.

The arpeggio progression is nicely written with the cromatism goin on but come on, it's not something we've never seen before.

It's like... if you say Stairway to Heaven can be compared with Bohemian Rhapsody, then Kissing a Fool by George Michael (which I enjoy much more than Stairway to Heaven, and I find more interesting musically) can also be compared to Stairway to Heaven or Bo Rhap.

Jimmy Dean user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 487 posts

Posted: 27 Feb 11, 18:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Great question...between Opera, Who's Next and IV

I'm going to use a point system. Epic songs means that it's widely acclaimed and well-liked by the general public. Note that Rock And Roll is not included as such even though it fits that description - it's a fairly basic rock number that loses its appeal with every listen unlike every other epic song classified below. For that reason, I bumped it to "very good". Very good songs are those that are considered among the better songs of the band's cannon and help the album's cause. Ok songs are those that are good but don't add to the album. Filler means the album would have been better if the song wasn't on it!

Out of the three bands, the Who is my least favorite - I own all of Queen's and Zeppelin's albums but only a handful of Who albums (My Generation, Sell's Out, Tommy, Who's Next & Quadrophenia) - and regardless of that fact, I would still argue that Who's Next is better than A Night At The Opera. 

Opera:

Epic songs - Bohemian Rhapsody, You're My Best Friend, Love of My Life (3)

Very good songs - Death on Two Legs, I'm In Love With My Car, '39, Sweet Lady, Prophet's Song (5)

Ok songs - Lazing, Seaside Rendezvous, God Save The Queen (3)

Filler: Good Company (1)

Points: [ (3 x 5) + (5 x 3) + (3 x 1) + (1 x -1) ]= 32 / 12 x 10 = 27pts

Who's Next: 

Epic songs: Baba O'Riley, Behind Blue Eyes, Won't Get Fooled Again (3)

Very Good Songs: Bargain, My Wfe, Getting In Tune (3)

Ok songs: Love Ain't For Keeping, The Song Is Over (2)

Filler: Going Mobile (1)

Points: [ (3 x 5) + (3 x 3) + (2 x 1) + (1 x -1)] = 25/9 x 10 = 28pts

Untitled (IV):

Epic Songs: Black Dog, Stairway to Heaven (2)

Very Good Songs: Rock And Roll, Misty Mountain Hop, When The Levee Breaks (3)

Ok Songs: Battle of Evermore, Four Sticks (2)

Filler:  Going To California (1)

Points: [ (2 x 5) + (3 x 3) + (2 x 1) + (1 x -1)] = 20/8 x 10 = 25pts

Holy shred!
jazzy mercurois

Posted: 27 Feb 11, 20:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm sorry but that's totally nonsense.

Posted: 27 Feb 11, 21:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

of course it's nonsense... A Night At The Opera is the best of the three because Queen is totally the greatest band of all time...

Posted: 27 Feb 11, 21:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ok... new comparison folks... 1) A Night At The Opera 2) The Transformed Man 3) Metal Machine Music.

Be honest now. Don't let favoritism get in the way here!

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18471 posts

Posted: 27 Feb 11, 22:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good Company is filler?  As far as I'm concerned it's the single most important piece of guitar innovation in the 70s, next to Eddie Van Halen.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
master marathon runner user not visiting Queenzone.com
master marathon runner
Royalty: 1198 posts

Posted: 28 Feb 11, 02:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Going to California is filler? as far as i'm concerned its the singlemost piece of guitar innovation in the 70's, after Brian May.

Master Marathon Runner

Master Marathon Runner
Holy shred!
jazzy mercurois

Posted: 28 Feb 11, 02:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I do thing Jimmy Page was highly innovative. I don't think anyone could play as poorly.
Everyone thought you had to know how to play the guitar to... well, play the guitar.

He proved them all wrong!

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4684 posts

Posted: 28 Feb 11, 03:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Funky Horsie wrote: I do thing Jimmy Page was highly innovative. I don't think anyone could play as poorly.
Everyone thought you had to know how to play the guitar to... well, play the guitar.

He proved them all wrong!
========================================================================

Wow, controversial ....

Yawn.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
Holy shred!
jazzy mercurois

Posted: 28 Feb 11, 03:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

is it?

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4684 posts

Posted: 28 Feb 11, 06:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Go on ..

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
Holy shred!
jazzy mercurois

Posted: 28 Feb 11, 10:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 28 Feb 11, 10:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

PrimeJiveUSA wrote: Unfortunately, the general public sees Queen as more of a "singles band and not an "album" band.

It's a shame, because I would hold up ANY of Queen's albums of the '70's to the 3 artists that you mentioned.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

your argument falls down slightly in that the stones were primarily a singles band, and the who until at least the mid-70s had had a string of hit singles

as regards "opera" - it stands up well against the "pinnacle" albums of the time....but i think therock critic's influence will always put it soemway down the pecking order..

after ledzepIV, who's next, DSOTM, rumours, bat out of hell, machine head, and possibly rainbow rising...this isn't because it's a weaker album (far from it) but because it's not a true rock album. Opera is far too many things to too many people.....there,s ragtime, vaudeville, rock, ballads, opera, pop...a "jack of all trades"

i think queen II is a more comparable rock album against the other classics....

go deo na hÉireann
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2756 posts

Posted: 28 Feb 11, 20:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yea, but no one talks about Queen2 aside from hardcore fans......Sheer heart attack is more of a proper rock album, as is Queen1.  I think SHA should be considered one of the best rock albums of all time,  Though i think Opera and Queen2 is their most epic.

rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1566 posts

Posted: 28 Feb 11, 20:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Interpret this as you will, but "Queen II," "Sheer Heart Attack" and "A Night At The Opera" are listed in 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die. I guess somebody, somewhere puts them up with the best albums recorded by other bands and artists.

Here's the full list:

http://www.rocklistmusic.co.uk/1001Albums.htm

Over the Field user not visiting Queenzone.com
Over the Field
Bohemian: 170 posts

Posted: 01 Mar 11, 05:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Why everybody here hates Led Zeppelin?

I have some Zep's albums and I think they're great. 

You should remember that Zep IV contains Black Dog, Rock and Roll and Stairway to Heaven, perhaps their best-known songs (Whole Lotta Love and Kashmir missing), but ANATO contains Bohemian Rhapsody but not We Are the Champions and We We Will Rock You. Get it what I mean? Personally I think that ANATO is better than Zep IV.

Jimmy Page is technically better guitarist than May but I still prefer May's guitar solos.

A friend of mine is a jazz drummer and I asked him that what you think of Roger Taylor as a drummer. He says that when it comes to rock, there aren't many technically great drummers, John Bonham and Bill Ward are good, but when comparing to some jazz drummers like Buddy Rich, they are decent. He says that Roger Taylor drumming is actually quite basic, and I agree with that (I have always seen him as a good singer though). He noted that comparing Taylor to Lars Ulrich, Taylor is a god of drum playing.

Broaden your horizons. Queen isn't the only great band in the world. For example Led Zeppelin is also great in my opinion as well as Yes, Deep Purple, Cream, Santana and many other. Of course Queen is the best  though  :)