Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > An Archivist's view of the SiS exhibition

forum rss feed
Author

Queen Archivist user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 850 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Feb 11, 14:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Regarding the Stormtroopers In Stilettos exhibition... a few things to look for...

Now I'm Here is not TOTP. It's from an Xmas edition of '45 and it was a significant find in the archive. Not every tape in the vault is quite what it seems when it's eventually investigated, that's why it took so long to come to light.  A similar thing happened in the Bob Marley archive I recall... archivists finding tapes containing things NOT noted on the box. These things happen.... especially when you're dealing with thousands of items, many undated and/or not written up properly. 

You will also see at the SiS exhibition very significant footage from a soundcheck at Shepperton studios, of.... get this... Freddie playing drums and Roger playing BMs gtr!!! It's great stuff. Probably on YouTube/Facebook as I speak. That's inevitable!  As is the Houston soundcheck - really lovely stuff!!. Yes, I know that's 1977, but dont ask why it's there and I'll tell you no lies. 

Look very closely at the SiS screens, and check out all the audio closely too. There are some great things there.  The Tom Browne 1977 interview with all 4 band members... you got to hear it ALL, if you haven't already. Perfect sound too. Some unseen photos too, all over the place... Really stunning.  AND new quotes from the band from recent interviews. 

Yes there is SSOR from TOTP, an amalgamation comp... but the 3 (not 2) individual versions are there ALSO, to see in full. They are fab!  Hence the SSOR V1, V2, V3, V4 thing I saw here last night.

There is not as much memorabilia as I wanted, Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! and double Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!  before you all jump on that like many attendees also have, but that's a long and tedious story. All I can say is that I took along a huge amount of stuff which BM generously authorised, and RT too, but it wasnt possible to display it all!!  You've seen the size of the cases, right??? What is there, though, is nice stuff that Brian collected so lovingly during this early period. And there are Roger items you'll love too - some really nice bits - though I'm not sure which pieces did NOT make it!!!!   Again, don't ask.  "less is more" was the phrase of the day while we set it up.

My phrase of the day was instead, "Say that again and I'll break your nose!" 

Look out for Smile acetates of Earth and Polar Bear and Step On Me. And a great acetate with 'Here I Am' written on it, instead of 'Now Im Here'.  How great is that!!!  IF you can spot it in the case on the floor.  God help you if you have a bad back or legs, or are otherwise physically restricted!  Ask someone to dangle you by your ankles; that'll work.

SiS is seriously worth taking in... unseen photos, audio, video, costumes, nostalgia, Freddie drawings and samples... And much more. There were 2,000 people there on day 1, and 1,000 today, with 5 hours still to go. But it's a big enough venue to not be overly squashed in. Plenty of space. Hot space. RED Hot, in the case of the SHA album. Check out the hospital bed and the story imparted on its blankets.   

There is much to take in. I'd say you'll need 3 hours to do it anywhere near properly.

Yes you can use cameras, and, believe it or not, camcorders too!!!   And no hint of "PROPERTY OF QUEEN PRODUCTIONS".

Everyone asks Gary and I... "Why is there no program or t-shirt?"   Good question.  No good answer.  I think this has to be addressed and surely will be.  But, 3000 people have already been and gone, so it's a bit galling I know.  We're pushing for this to be rectified.

Enjoy!!!

GB

GB
pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts

Posted: 27 Feb 11, 15:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dammit I wanna live in England :-(

Thanks for the review Greg, nice to see you back on the 'Moanzone'. I hope that we'll see this stuff one day in an official release

pittrek

PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts

Posted: 27 Feb 11, 15:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen Archivist wrote:

You will also see at the SiS exhibition very significant footage from a soundcheck at Shepperton studios, of.... get this... Freddie playing drums and Roger playing BMs gtr!!! It's great stuff. Probably on YouTube/Facebook as I speak. That's inevitable!  As is the Houston soundcheck - really lovely stuff!!. Yes, I know that's 1977, but dont ask why it's there and I'll tell you no lies. 

I wish I could find that on youtube.

master marathon runner user not visiting Queenzone.com
master marathon runner
Royalty: 1237 posts

Posted: 27 Feb 11, 16:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So i guess Roger was'nt even the best drummer in Queen !

Master Marathon Runner

Master Marathon Runner
GinjaNinja user is on Queenzone.com
GinjaNinja
Bohemian: 654 posts

Posted: 27 Feb 11, 17:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nice to see you back on here Greg. It certainly was good at the exhibition.

Unfortunately, all but one of the laptops weren't working, so no-one got to see a lot of the footage or listen to the remastered albums. It would also have been a great place to promote the new download single.

Apart from that I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. I hope that people outside of the UK will get to see these things too.

Property Of Queen Productions...

Posted: 27 Feb 11, 18:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, there is serious talk about the exhibition touring, so EVERYONE will get a chance to enjoy it.

GB
DGAA user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 70 posts

Posted: 27 Feb 11, 18:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen Archivist wrote: Regarding the Stormtroopers In Stilettos exhibition... a few things to look for...

Now I'm Here is not TOTP. It's from an Xmas edition of '45 and it was a significant find in the archive. Not every tape in the vault is quite what it seems when it's eventually investigated, that's why it took so long to come to light.  A similar thing happened in the Bob Marley archive I recall... archivists finding tapes containing things NOT noted on the box. These things happen.... especially when you're dealing with thousands of items, many undated and/or not written up properly. 

Sorry Greg, but that's not true;)
     Look at this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8QRpPvxj8w

It comes from TOTP 27th February 1975 and the background is exactly the same

Here is NIH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPtwJkEC8ak

Posted: 27 Feb 11, 19:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Now I am confused!!!

Gary Taylor, Jim Jenkins and I discussed this in detail on Friday.

There was talk of BBC seen written on a camera, and various other details, and I really cannot recall now where we ended up at.  We went round the houses with all kinds of recollections, but I do agree the Cockney Rebel footage backdrop looks to be the same.

I really could have sworn we concluded '45 over TOTP.  I'll check with GT & JJ again, but you're right, this does seem the same.

Watch this space!

GB

Posted: 27 Feb 11, 19:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There are clips from BOTH.   TOTP and from Granada's '45.

That explains it.

After the fortnight I've had, I'm all Queened out!!!!

GB
MERQRY user not visiting Queenzone.com
MERQRY
Bohemian: 746 posts

Posted: 27 Feb 11, 20:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen Archivist wrote: Yes, there is serious talk about the exhibition touring, so EVERYONE will get a chance to enjoy it.
----------------------------------------
If the exibition could come to argentine,these would be great!
But i belive is almost impossible!

Sir Greg i have a question... Is the SSOR video colourized??

Cheers!

"I will destroy any man who dares abuse my trust" Freddie Mercury
J.C user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 13 posts

Posted: 27 Feb 11, 23:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

is this from the exhibition too?

ferdy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 176 posts

Posted: 28 Feb 11, 03:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

for me it was great see picture of a red label from mercury records of the Smile single. It was supposed to be only a promo issue. Greg, do you know if it's a withdrawn US issue or from Canada?

www.Queenmuseum.com

Collecting is everything!!!
Vali user not visiting Queenzone.com
Vali
Deity: 2053 posts

Posted: 28 Feb 11, 03:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen Archivist wrote: Yes, there is serious talk about the exhibition touring, so EVERYONE will get a chance to enjoy it.
///////////////////////////

ah ! I so wish that´s happening ! wanted to fly to London for the exhibition but the tickets from Barcelona were/are so expensive :(

Hope it´s coming to Spain ... but I wouldn´t mind if it´s going to Paris or Italy ... I´d be there for sure !!!

Bring out the charge of the love brigade
Queenman!! user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queenman!!
Bohemian: 931 posts

Posted: 28 Feb 11, 04:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Honest and straight!!

Thanks Greg!

=========================

Regarding the Stormtroopers In Stilettos exhibition... a few things to look for...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thousands of items??????!!! So there is more than we had imagined first when you came up with your QP list (approved by mr. Beach)  of recordings. haha :-) Silent hint????

You made us laugh, you made us cry, you made us feel like we could fly!
pittrek

Posted: 28 Feb 11, 04:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen Archivist wrote:

Yes, there is serious talk about the exhibition touring, so EVERYONE will get a chance to enjoy it.

Well "everyone" ... I seriously doubt you come to Slovakia :-) But it would be nice to be able to see it

cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3038 posts

Posted: 28 Feb 11, 04:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not as much memorabilia as you'd liked Greg?  Don't worry, we can see it all in your 'I Want It All' book when we buy it! :-)

kozlorf user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 10 posts

Posted: 28 Feb 11, 04:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

DGAA wrote:
     Sorry Greg, but that's not true;)
     Look at this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8QRpPvxj8w       It comes from TOTP 27th February 1975 and the background is exactly the same
-----

Actually, it seems that the guy there is playing John Deacon's Fender Precission Bass.

kozlorf user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 10 posts

Posted: 28 Feb 11, 04:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

...and there's even The Sponge at 0:40 ;)

Posted: 28 Feb 11, 05:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ferdy wrote: for me it was great see picture of a red label from mercury records of the Smile single. It was supposed to be only a promo issue. Greg, do you know if it's a withdrawn US issue or from Canada?
I'm not sure, Ferdy, off the top of my head. I'll look into it next time I'm in the archive - probably tomorrow.

Regards

GB